Old 09-30-2014, 04:27 PM   #1
MassArt Images

Default Composition/Balance rejection

After sitting in the #1 slot in the queue for a half a day, I got that rejection. Any suggestions on a re-crop to make it acceptable?

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...81&key=5706298

My RP pics are HERE

My website is HERE
MassArt Images is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 04:44 PM   #2
JRMDC

There is no interesting "verticalness" in this shot, so maybe recrop horizontal. The sky has clouds, sure, but not interesting clouds. But it is hard to get a feel for the shot because it is so dark, so I'd work on exposure first, to see if there is anything there worth fixing.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 07:35 PM   #3
MassArt Images

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC View Post
There is no interesting "verticalness" in this shot, so maybe recrop horizontal. The sky has clouds, sure, but not interesting clouds. But it is hard to get a feel for the shot because it is so dark, so I'd work on exposure first, to see if there is anything there worth fixing.
J, I shot vertical because there was no interesting "horizontalness" in the frame. The clouds IMO where more interesting than green foliage on both sides. I checked the levels and the exposure looked correct. I will try to brighten it up. I am leaning towards cropping more off the bottom. Do you concur?

My RP pics are HERE

My website is HERE
Old 09-30-2014, 07:55 PM   #4
jac_murphy

It may have been useful to pull back ever so slightly and use the foliage at right, instead of the picture frame, to cut off the train; and to allow the train to move a bit more forward, closing the gap between it and the signal at left.

-Jacques
jac_murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 08:13 PM   #5
JRMDC

Carl, my view is entirely different. I don't think the shot is worth the effort. Take a nap, play with the kids, head out trackside 15 minutes sooner, lots of good uses for a bit of time.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 12:33 AM   #6
JimThias

Carl, if you're dead set on vertical, go 4:5. It's too tall as it is.

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 12:50 AM   #7
MassArt Images

I got this accepted. It does not show the jointed rail on the main, but it's what the screener liked.

Image © Carl Massart
PhotoID: 500247
Photograph © Carl Massart

I also got the eastbound coming out of the Blue Ridge Tunnel but at that time of day(15:30), my options were limited. I got a low contrast rejection. Would switching to B/W be an option or should I forget about it?

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...02&key=4612779

My RP pics are HERE

My website is HERE
Old 10-01-2014, 01:30 AM   #8
Mgoldman

RP likely wanted you to crop out that signal on the vertical shot to place the engine lower into the scene - yet they took the alternate crop which is just as out of place looking. My guess, another screener let the second shot in which was equally odd placed due to your desire to include something other then just the train. Likely, had you gotten the second sceener the first time around, the first pic would've been accepted.

I'm (I'd have been) with Janusz on this one - it would make a nice horizontal crop. You get to keep the signals while maintaining an appealing composition - things would be where they are "suppose" to be.

I'll add that the strive for perfection of such shots in the Forums is a bit crazy. Every shot can likely be better in someway - since when is RP about perfection? There are 455,000 photos for cripes sake. And included are notes, poop and wrecks.

As for your second rejection - when they give you a relatively clear and accurate reason for rejection, give it a whirl. "Low contrast" - increase the contrast. It does appear flat. Boost the contrast, or find a filter to "click" - ie; tonal contrast, clarity, brilliance, structure... ect.

Good luck!

/Mitch
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 12:27 PM   #9
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgoldman View Post
I'll add that the strive for perfection of such shots in the Forums is a bit crazy. Every shot can likely be better in someway - since when is RP about perfection? There are 455,000 photos for cripes sake. And included are notes, poop and wrecks.
What's wrong with striving for perfection? Demand excellence! Never be satisfied!

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote