Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-12-2019, 07:46 PM   #1
amtk_cr_pc

Default Salvaging Dark Noses

Good afternoon all:

I have recently started contributing to RP again after a decade long hiatus. My niche of sorts is acquiring old slides of subjects that interest me, and restoring them to share here, (or Smugmug if the image quality does not meet RP standards).

I can usually tell if a slide will be worth the work to share here, and I am still learning the techniques to effective scanning and appropriate processing. However, sometimes a slide looks pretty good on paper, but the nose is darker than expected when scanned. Case in point:
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...53&key=6876133

Granted this slide needed some other work anyway, but it likely would have come out better with some more nose work. My question to the group is what techniques do you use to clean up good images with dark noses, or perhaps when it is not worth bothering with. I know how to manipulate light in processing, but my spot work is less than effective, particularly with darker noses. I realize it is a rather subjective question, but I would appreciate your opinions.

I use a Pacific Image Electronics PrimeFilm XEs film scanner controlled by Vuescan Pro, and process with Photoshop Elements 2019 on a W10 workstation. While I am certainly no expert in processing, I do know my way around Photoshop and have a working knowledge of photography concepts and terminology. Thank you in advance for any comments.

--Nate Murry
amtk_cr_pc is offline   Reply With Quote