Go Back   RailPictures.Net Forums > General Railroad Discussion Forums > Off Topic Forum

Old 01-20-2006, 10:29 PM   #1
dsktc

Default End of an American Icon: the Lever-Action Winchester Rides off into the Sunset

A Washington Post writer waxes nostalgic about the
demise of the Winchester lever-action rifle:

"A famous ad that most boy baby boomers will recall from Boys' Life, the old scouting magazine of the '50s, showed a happy lad, carrot-topped and freckly like any number of Peck's Bad Boys, his teeth haphazardly arrayed within his wide, gleeful mouth under eyes wide as pie platters as he exclaimed on Christmas morn, "Gee, Dad . . . A Winchester!"

"All gone, all gone, all gone. The gun as family totem, the implied trust between generations, the implicit idea that marksmanship followed by hunting were a way of life to be pursued through the decades, the sense of tradition, respect, self-discipline and bright confidence that Winchester and the American kinship group would march forward to a happy tomorrow -- gone if not with the wind, then with the tide of inner-city and nutcase killings that have led America's once-proud and heavily bourgeois gun culture into the wilderness of marginalization.

"And now Winchester is gone too, or at least the most interesting parts of it. The traditional company whose symbol was a fringed rider flying across the plains on a pinto, gripping his trusty Model '73, is finally biting the dust. The entity -- now technically U.S. Repeating Arms, which produces the rifles and shotguns as a licensee of the Olin Corp., which still owns Winchester ammunition -- announced Monday it was closing the plant in New Haven where the rifles and shotguns have been fabricated for a century and a half. Some Winchesters will continue to be built overseas, but three guns -- the classic lever-action rifle of western fame, the bolt-action hunting rifle (called the Model 70) and the Model 1300 pump-action shotgun -- will no longer be manufactured."

Registration is required to read the complete text:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...011903278.html

http://www.newsday.com/news/local/wi...-apconnecticut

http://www.winchesterguns.com/

http://www.winchesterguns.com/prodin...y.asp?cat=003C

I don't hunt but I do have two .22 caliber rifles I take
up to the rifle range at the state game lands nearby.
I may just have to buy myself a Winchester 94 before they
disappear.

Dave

Last edited by dsktc; 01-21-2006 at 11:02 AM.
dsktc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 02:12 AM   #2
David Telesha

Dave:

Better go out and buy them - checked the other day and the local shop had guys buying them by the arm full.

Go for a Model 94 or Model 70 (or BOTH!).

It really, really sucks this is happening. It is a Belgian company buying Winchester and putting them out - the few guns they will make will be made in Japan, Begium, and some other place over seas.

I think this is bullshit - its a bunch of America haters ruining our heritage by buying it and trashing it.

Last edited by David Telesha; 01-21-2006 at 02:17 AM.
Old 01-21-2006, 05:06 AM   #3
Slopes09

Send a message via AIM to Slopes09

I don't have a Winchester, I've got a Remington, but I'll still miss them. Just the other day I was trying one out at Gander Mountain. It seems like all the old companies are being bought out, and everything we once knew is disapearing.

Pretty much the only Pentax Shooter.

Click Here to view my photos at RailPictures.Net!
Slopes09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 11:10 AM   #4
dsktc

Thanks, Dave.

Winchesters are flying off the shelfs in PA, too.

The Model 94, Trails Endô, Octagon Case-Colored, 20"
barrel has that classic look of a western rifle. I suspect
it won't be easy to find one in a 30-30 caliber.

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Telesha
Dave:

Better go out and buy them - checked the other day and the local shop had guys buying them by the arm full.

Go for a Model 94 or Model 70 (or BOTH!).

It really, really sucks this is happening. It is a Belgian company buying Winchester and putting them out - the few guns they will make will be made in Japan, Begium, and some other place over seas.

I think this is bullshit - its a bunch of America haters ruining our heritage by buying it and trashing it.
Old 01-21-2006, 07:46 PM   #5
David Telesha

(duplicate message sorry)

Last edited by David Telesha; 01-21-2006 at 07:51 PM.
Old 01-21-2006, 07:48 PM   #6
David Telesha

(duplicate message)

Last edited by David Telesha; 01-21-2006 at 07:51 PM.
Old 01-21-2006, 07:49 PM   #7
David Telesha

Hi Dave,

The place I went to had quite a few octagon barrel 94's - most were .357 and .44 and odd calibers but they had 1 30-30 on the shelf. Seems those were most popular.

There are quite a few 94 models - they are are pretty much the same.

Good luck!

Last edited by David Telesha; 01-21-2006 at 11:33 PM.