Old 10-31-2005, 09:03 PM   #1
IC 6071

Send a message via Yahoo to IC 6071
Default Different Questions About Night Shots!

Hi everyone! I have a question about how to get sharp, vivid night shots. Do you use a spot light, car headlights street lights or what. When ever i snap something at night, it always comes out blurry. Thanks!
-Adam
p.s. An example of what I mean, this is one of my all time favorites!

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=122947

May the CCP the WC and the IC LIVE ON
IC 6071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 09:06 PM   #2
SD70MAC
HOBO

I always wondered what he uses. I surely cant see that big of a flash going off. Scare the crew half to death.
SD70MAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 09:31 PM   #3
BNSF_SD40-2B

Send a message via Yahoo to BNSF_SD40-2B

Maybe you could e-mail Gary Knapp and ask him how he does it.
Old 10-31-2005, 10:12 PM   #4
cmherndon
Banned

Send a message via AIM to cmherndon Send a message via Yahoo to cmherndon

Lighting is always the key. If the train is moving, you'll need more light and a faster shutter speed that if it were still. When the train is still, you can sometimes use the ambient light and still get halfway decent results. I know a few people who've actually used a Mag-Lite on a time exposure.

A few I've done using ambient light.

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©
Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©
The train is blurry, but this is the effect I wanted.

Just remember to stay away from mercury vapor lights, or you'll get a photo that looks something like this:

http://www.cmherndon.com/photos/t19nightvision.JPG

For flash units, you might want to check out www.alienbees.com.
cmherndon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 10:38 PM   #5
hoydie17
We Own The Night...

Send a message via AIM to hoydie17 Send a message via Yahoo to hoydie17

I can't necessarily speak for Gary Knapp, but I know that in many cases, the folks that use flashbulbs are often very well connected within the RR community. So in some cases there is a little of "unofficial" coordination with crews on certain trains.

To use flashbulbs like that is not a 5 minute setup, it often takes several hours, and tons of patience, trial and error. I shot my first flashbulb shots this past weekend on the Potomac Eagle, and needless to say, when you get the proper setup, it's a very rewarding experience.

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©

Next issue is the cost, as I was told, flashbulbs are approaching the $4.00 per piece range now. And when you figure you have to change the bulbs each time you fire them, it can get pricey. Therefore, proper planning is imperative.

I'm obviously not an authority on this subject, but based on what I saw this past weekend, this isn't just the kind of thing to venture into lightly. It takes significant amounts of money, hard work, and time.

Peter Furnee says it best, "Flash Photography at night isn't just photography, it's a production."

Sean

Or if you want to see my work here at RP.net? Click here.

"It's just a damn train son!"
hoydie17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 10:58 PM   #6
StL-rail

Send a message via AIM to StL-rail Send a message via MSN to StL-rail Send a message via Yahoo to StL-rail

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmherndon
Just remember to stay away from mercury vapor lights
Actually, merc's are your friend, its sodium lighting that you want to avoid, because they cast an ugly orange glow on everything. Caleb, the green tint in your photo is most likely the camera getting a bad white balance reading. Normally mercury lights put out a nice whiteish-blue light that tends to give everything a natural color. The green could have also been caused by a old plastic refractor (they sometimes turn a green color), correct me if I am wrong anywhere here Pat. You know much more than I do.

Examples:
Image © John Witthaus
PhotoID: 119224
Photograph © John Witthaus

Sodium Lighting (notice the orange tint)

Image © John Witthaus
PhotoID: 119124
Photograph © John Witthaus

Mercury Lighting (notice the natural colors)

Click Here to view my photos at RailPictures.Net!

-Canadian Pacific Conductor
-Union Pacific Conductor
-RRC Switchman

Last edited by StL-rail; 11-01-2005 at 12:09 AM.
StL-rail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 03:40 AM   #7
4kV

Location: Homeless, alcoholic drifter with no permanent address

Quote:
Originally Posted by StL-rail
Actually, merc's are your friend, its sodium lighting that you want to avoid, because they cast an ugly orange glow on everything. Caleb, the green tint in your photo is most likely the camera getting a bad white balance reading. Normally mercury lights put out a nice whiteish-blue light that tends to give everything a natural color. The green could have also been caused by a old plastic refractor (they sometimes turn a green color), correct me if I am wrong anywhere here Pat. You know much more than I do.
Well, not really. I'm not a photographer, I just play one on the internet. I'm merely a doof with a digital camera. The plastic refractor in question should not be a problem. They turn a yellow color, but that is rare. The issue is this. I asked a friend of mine who, amoung other things, lists HID (High Intensity Discharge) lamps as his hobby. Mercs are included in this category. Here is what he writes:

It has to do with the fact that on a camera's CCD (photo chip) there are two green sensors for every red and blue sensor. Since the spectrum has that one strong green line that is not immediately surronded by any other strong spectral lines the camera sees it as green because it does not have any lines to compare it to. True, a merc light looks whitish blue, but it does have green and red in it as well.

Anyway, it is the camera picking up mainly on the green part of a mercury light's spectrum. White balance setting on the camera and a little photoshop will do the trick.

Click on n691lf.rrpicturearchives.net for a good laugh and waste of your time.
4kV is offline   Reply With Quote