Old 06-18-2010, 09:19 PM   #1
Tgranville

Send a message via AIM to Tgranville Send a message via Yahoo to Tgranville
Default 2010 Vacation

I recently had a week off of work and decided to head out east to visit some friends and enjoy some railfanning.

Day 1
First stop was the Philly area to visit Darryl Rule and fan the Delaware Lackawanna, who happened to be running from Scranton to Slateford and back on the Sunday before Memorial Day. We arrived in Scranton, and the train was already put together and ready to go, just awaiting a crew.

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©

While we waited, we got a couple of photos from around Steamtown, including a Mohawk, Adirondack and Northwestern Alco, and 2 Reading Company F's

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©

After waiting for almost 2 1/2 hours, the train was on the move. We were able to shoot it leaving Scranton, and the first place we stopped was Elmhurst, near the old signal bridge.

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©

We caught it again a few miles down the road at Moscow, then raced to get ahead of him at Gouldsboro. We pulled over on the side of a dirt road to shoot across the lake/reservoir/swamp/whatever body of water it was.

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©

They had to drop off and pick up cars at Tobyhanna which gave us some time to get some gas and food before we got it leaving Tobyhanna, then beat it to Cresco to get a shot (both high sun). We left Cresco and headed to a spot where the tracks parallel 2 soccer fields, which gave me enough room to attempt a pan shot, which I think i pulled off pretty well. While there, we met up with Gary Pancavage and a few of his friends.

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©

After that, we had to wait for the crew to switch out cars and pick up their train for the return trip, which took longer than usual due to them dropping off 22, and picking up 27 cars in a yard that can only handle 40 cars. It took them a little longer than expected, which actually favored us, as it made the light a lot better at the places we planned to shoot it on the way back. The first spot was the Delaware Gap Overlook:

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©

After leaving there, we headed to East Stroudsburg and waited for them to roll by.

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©

By this time, we are starting to lose light in some spots where we wanted to shoot. We had just enough light left to get a good shot in Henryville.

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©

We then moved and waited for them to pass Cresco Station, which was in great light. They had to switch out the lumber yard first, but still left us with a lot of light left to get a good shot.

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©

They outlawed not long after that and pulled the train into the grain mill siding near Mt. Pocono.

Day 2

Memorial Day, traffic was light everywhere, but i did get a sot of NJT passing over the stone arch bridge from Pa into Trenton as fisherman enjoyed the holiday.

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©

After hanging around Levvittown for the morning, I headed to New Jersey to meet up with AB2 and his family for a few days of railfanning.

Day 3

We spent Tuesday shooting NJT and Amtrak.

Our first stop was South Amboy, getting shots of NJT on the Raritan River Bridge.

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©

While we are shooting, Andrew tells me we have company in the form of a South Amboy police office watching us. As we get our shots and are heading back to my car, he pulls up to us and asks what we are doing and asks for our ID. I left mine in the car, so I went to get mine and the cop tells Andrew that we are violating the "Terrorism Act", which made shooting trains on bridges after 9/11 illegal, and we were trespassing on NJT property. Long story short, cop knew we knew he was BS'ing us, and let us go. After that whole run-in, we headed over to perth Amboy for the rest of the morning rush.

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©

We worked our way south and waited for a train to cross the Morgan Drawbridge in Sayreville:

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©

for the afternoon we headed over to Princeton Junction to catch Amtrak and the evening NJT rush:

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©

To be continued...

My RP.net Photos

My Flickr Photos

Last edited by Tgranville; 06-18-2010 at 09:39 PM.
Tgranville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 04:51 AM   #2
trainboysd40

Send a message via MSN to trainboysd40

Nicely done. Enjoy your views
Obligatory link to shots on RP, HERE
trainboysd40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 03:14 PM   #3
Chase55671
RailPictures.Net Crew

Send a message via AIM to Chase55671 Send a message via MSN to Chase55671

Nice series of photos, Tom! Thanks for sharing.

Chase
Click here to view my photos at Railpictures.Net
SLR Night Photography Tutorial | Railpictures.Net Beginners Guide
Chase55671 is offline   Reply With Quote