Old 02-01-2010, 05:47 AM   #51
JRMDC
Senior Member
 
JRMDC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 11,201
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase55671 View Post
I think of it this way. If someone is renting a home and I am taking photos from their front lawn, and they request that I leave, I simply will not. However, if their landlord (the actual owner of the property) asks for me to leave, then obviously, I'm going to leave. This is what the "photographers right" clearly states.
I'm no lawyer and I can't cite a source at the moment, but my understanding is that the renter (lessor) has sole right of access to the property. So even the property owner cannot enter the property without express permission. Such permission can be given at the time of desired access or it can be included in the lease agreement, along with various stipulations as to when such access is allowed.

Here is some language from a rental agreement that I found on the web: "Management shall have the right of access to property for inspection and maintenance during reasonable hours. In case of emergency, Management may enter at any time to protect life and prevent damage to the property."

So you had better get off that property post haste!
__________________
My RP pix are here.
My Flickr pix are here.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 05:54 AM   #52
norfolksouthern
Senior Member
 
norfolksouthern's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Delaware
Posts: 147
Default

Wow, sorry heard about your stories, Scott. And, there been grab your radio scanner that was horrible. But, did they grab your camera too, Scott?

I really hate that happened

Hope you get another new radio scanners..

- David
__________________
I am deaf hard-die
norfolksouthern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 06:26 PM   #53
Scolagiaco
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 11
Default

No, they were just focused on the point that a had a CSX radio in my possession. It just sucks that after all these years of visiting, learning, enjoying, etc... the american railroading system, OUR rights as an american our slowly being taken away from us. Us railfans, I beleive is what keeps this industry for the most part, turning. I read a survey back many years ago that found that 62% of Amtrak customers are railfans. I used to take both the Silver Meteor and the Star up and down the east coast just because I enjoyed the ride. I put my own car on the autotrain 8 times, just for the ride. I traveled the Sunset Limited from Orlando to Los Angeles twice, just because I enjoyed the ride. And now, I cant sit at a station and watch Amtrak do its thing because some A**HOLE wants to blow us up. So, I guess, Im probably been labeled as a terrorist in Amtrak's eyes just because I bought some fools possibly stolen CSX radio just so I can hear the trains alot better to make the most out of railfanning. I HAVE always wanted to work as an engineer since I was a kid, but I know I cant pass the physical to be hired. So, I live my life as a diehard railfan, soaking in as much as I can and getting as close as I can to live my dream. Thank you Bin Laden for ruining everyones hobby and dream.
Scolagiaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 08:13 PM   #54
JRMDC
Senior Member
 
JRMDC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 11,201
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scolagiaco View Post
Thank you Bin Laden for ruining everyones hobby and dream.
Thank you American politicians and American citizens for falling for Bin Laden's indirect attack on American freedoms.

Oops! Are we politicizing a hobbyist forum?
__________________
My RP pix are here.
My Flickr pix are here.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 10:44 PM   #55
Ween
Senior Member
 
Ween's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 4,861
Default

Quote:
I think of it this way. If someone is renting a home and I am taking photos from their front lawn, and they request that I leave, I simply will not.
Dumbest. Logic. Ever.

By this logic, I'm free to get in and drive a car that someone's leasing until the actual owner of the car tells me to stop.

If you truly think you're in the right, Chase, I suggest you avoid railfanning in Texas...those S.O.B.'s have some lenient rules on when you can blow a trespasser away!
__________________
Ween is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 11:24 PM   #56
JWH
Member
 
JWH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Nelson, BC
Posts: 37
Default

Quote:
I cant sit at a station and watch Amtrak do its thing because some A**HOLE wants to blow us up. So, I guess, Im probably been labeled as a terrorist in Amtrak's eyes just because I bought some fools possibly stolen CSX radio just so I can hear the trains alot better to make the most out of railfanning. I HAVE always wanted to work as an engineer since I was a kid, but I know I cant pass the physical to be hired. So, I live m y life as a diehard railfan, soaking in as much as I can and getting as close as I can to live my dream. Thank you Bin Laden for ruining everyones hobby and dream.
With all due respect, don't blame Bin Laden for it all. Blame the percentage of hobbyists who gather at stations, terminals and edge of yards whose presence interferes with employees conducting their duties, or the passengers boarding or detraining, the empty coffee cups and pop cans on the ground while taking their shots. Not to mention each one armed with their scanners on loudly blaring on the same channel or worse,multiple channels. Pity the poor employee who is mobbed at times by hobbyists barraging him with questions, requests and dare I say, suggestions. Just like flies to shyte.

What I've noticed is that the some of the railfans aggressive arrogance demanding their right to enter private property (owned, leased or rented) signed or unsigned to pursue their hobby(or is it an obsession?).
It's tough being a hobbyist while working and responding to deter other foamers from trespassing, climbing on engines or being found with company property on their possession, such as train orders, builders plates and reversers.
There are countless locations throughout my country (Canada) and the US that we can follow our enthusiasm to pursue the hobby. Perhaps we need mentors for the newer generation in the great hobby.
JWH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 12:47 AM   #57
Freericks
Met Fan
 
Freericks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 4,038
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWH View Post
With all due respect, don't blame Bin Laden for it all. Blame the percentage of hobbyists who gather at stations, terminals and edge of yards whose presence interferes with employees conducting their duties, or the passengers boarding or detraining, the empty coffee cups and pop cans on the ground while taking their shots. Not to mention each one armed with their scanners on loudly blaring on the same channel or worse,multiple channels. Pity the poor employee who is mobbed at times by hobbyists barraging him with questions, requests and dare I say, suggestions. Just like flies to shyte.

What I've noticed is that the some of the railfans aggressive arrogance demanding their right to enter private property (owned, leased or rented) signed or unsigned to pursue their hobby(or is it an obsession?).
It's tough being a hobbyist while working and responding to deter other foamers from trespassing, climbing on engines or being found with company property on their possession, such as train orders, builders plates and reversers.
There are countless locations throughout my country (Canada) and the US that we can follow our enthusiasm to pursue the hobby. Perhaps we need mentors for the newer generation in the great hobby.
This issue has doomed railfans (and frankly others pursuing their hobbies) for decades. Goes to the reason most of us have never seen a Baldwin Shark... story I heard was some railfans stole the builder's plates, so the engines got locked up away...
Freericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 06:30 AM   #58
JWH
Member
 
JWH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Nelson, BC
Posts: 37
Default

Quote:
tory I heard was some railfans stole the builder's plates, so the engines got locked up away...
Ever wonder why there are RR LEO in plain clothes at the hobby shows looking at all the railroad memorabilia?
JWH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 12:09 PM   #59
Joe the Photog
Senior Member
 
Joe the Photog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Columbia, SC
Posts: 7,885
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase55671 View Post
I think of it this way. If someone is renting a home and I am taking photos from their front lawn, and they request that I leave, I simply will not. However, if their landlord (the actual owner of the property) asks for me to leave, then obviously, I'm going to leave. This is what the "photographers right" clearly states.
Chase,

This is a good example of ignorance of the law not being a defense. I know we're talking about industrial areas, Amtrak platforms and the such, but I can tell you and your family has obviously never rented or leased a house or a property. When we rented the house in Lancaster, our landlord, who was the owner of the house (sometimes an owner landlord contracts a rental agency to lease out his or her house; in this case, the owner did it himself) would call or when he was coming by. If he was going to do some work in the house, he never went in until we had agreed either by opening the door when he knocked or by prior arrangement.

Your arguement is that since we leased, we would have to call him if someone was in our front yard camping out. In fact, the renter has as uch right to privacy as the owner of the house. I'm not trying to patronize you and I'm not going to type in my grown up voice, but you are very mistaken in your belief that a renter does not have the same right to privacy as the owner. The same goes for Amtrak stations and industrial customers who may not own the facilities they are using.

We've all encroached on property at one time or another, maybe even blantant trespassing. I'm not trying to be high and mighty, just trying to correct some misinterpretation of the law on your part.
__________________
Joe the Photog Dot Com
Joe the Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 04:04 PM   #60
coborn35
Senior Member
 
coborn35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Duluth, MN
Posts: 1,397
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freericks View Post
This issue has doomed railfans (and frankly others pursuing their hobbies) for decades. Goes to the reason most of us have never seen a Baldwin Shark... story I heard was some railfans stole the builder's plates, so the engines got locked up away...
8 pairs to be exact. The broke into his building and stole many other things.
__________________
I personally have had a problem with those trying to tell us to turn railroad photography into an "art form." It's fine for them to do so, I welcome it in fact, but what I do have a problem with is that the practitioners of the more "arty" shots, I have found, tend to look down their nose's at others who are shooting more "mundane" shots.
Railroad photography is what you make of it, but one way is not "better" than another, IMHO. Unless you have a pole right thought the nose of the engine! -SG
coborn35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 05:08 PM   #61
Freericks
Met Fan
 
Freericks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 4,038
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by coborn35 View Post
8 pairs to be exact. The broke into his building and stole many other things.
Keep waiting for the day those idiots surface. Even if it's by death, eventually you have to believe they (or he) will be revealed because the plates will show up somewhere.
Freericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 09:44 PM   #62
travsirocz
Senior Member
 
travsirocz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Eau Claire, WI
Posts: 2,458
Send a message via AIM to travsirocz
Default

My typical railfan day, speaking of railfanning gone bad. A little lighter subject.
travsirocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 07:40 PM   #63
PLEzero
Senior Member
 
PLEzero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Pittsburgh,PA
Posts: 675
Default

You started off your last message stating the officer was solely focused on you having a CSX radio in your possession. What I don't see is how you connect that with being labeled a terrorist? When did anyone label you a terrorist? Let's get real, Osama bin Laden has very little if anything to do with this. Simply because you have rode an Amtrak train once or 300 times doesn't give you a right to stand on the platform and listen to a radio which is not yours to own.
__________________
Brad Morocco
Candyland, PA
My Flickr Photos
My RP.net Photos
PLEzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 09:35 PM   #64
JWH
Member
 
JWH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Nelson, BC
Posts: 37
Default

The radio purchase from EBay or any such site, with a distinct company logo should set off alarms to anyone that the item may have been imported from "Night Supply"a division of "Five Finger Discount. Remember, if the price is a steal, it just might be. Buyer Beware.
JWH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 09:40 PM   #65
Scolagiaco
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 11
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLEzero View Post
You started off your last message stating the officer was solely focused on you having a CSX radio in your possession. What I don't see is how you connect that with being labeled a terrorist? When did anyone label you a terrorist? Let's get real, Osama bin Laden has very little if anything to do with this. Simply because you have rode an Amtrak train once or 300 times doesn't give you a right to stand on the platform and listen to a radio which is not yours to own.
Nothing personal, but you didnt follow these posts in full in order to understand the point I was making. First of all, I was using Osama Bin Laden as an example as to why security is SOOO high lately given the state of our country's security. Regarding the statement that I made about traveling on Amtrak frequently was to express that "us" as railfans ride Amtrak for the sole purpose of enjoying the "hobby" of railfanning.
You obviously, didnt read everything that I had to say and everyones opinion on what I said followed by my reply of what they said. So, before you come in here bashing me, take the time to read and understand what the heck is going on in here.
Thank you.
Scolagiaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 09:48 PM   #66
Scolagiaco
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 11
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWH View Post
The radio purchase from EBay or any such site, with a distinct company logo should set off alarms to anyone that the item may have been imported from "Night Supply"a division of "Five Finger Discount. Remember, if the price is a steal, it just might be. Buyer Beware.
I do see your point and yes, the alarm did in fact buzz in my head as well. however, this radio barely worked when I bought it. Secondly,(this I know for a fact) CSX recently began exchanging old radios with new ones. Chances are it may have not been stolen, perhaps junked and rescued by luck from somebody. So there is a grey area here. But, all I can say is "What a find!" People collect old derailers, switch locks, railroad signs, timetables, old signal heads, crossing gates, etc....
Scolagiaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 09:04 AM   #67
JWH
Member
 
JWH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Nelson, BC
Posts: 37
Default

Quote:
I do see your point and yes, the alarm did in fact buzz in my head as well. however, this radio barely worked when I bought it. Secondly,(this I know for a fact) CSX recently began exchanging old radios with new ones. Chances are it may have not been stolen, perhaps junked and rescued by luck from somebody. So there is a grey area here. But, all I can say is "What a find!" People collect old derailers, switch locks, railroad signs, timetables, old signal heads, crossing gates, etc....
For what is worth, all Railroads that I'm aware of insist on that their supplier destroy such trade ins especially if it has their markings on it. The grey area you speak of should be your brain, my previous entry's comment still stands. But then again, believe what you will. As for the rest of the equipment you mention, make sure you have the proper providences from the seller.
JWH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 10:09 AM   #68
Scolagiaco
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 11
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWH View Post
For what is worth, all Railroads that I'm aware of insist on that their supplier destroy such trade ins especially if it has their markings on it. The grey area you speak of should be your brain, my previous entry's comment still stands. But then again, believe what you will. As for the rest of the equipment you mention, make sure you have the proper providences from the seller.
The radio may have leaked out and bam, its on ebay.... never know.
Scolagiaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 01:55 PM   #69
EMTRailfan
Senior Member
 
EMTRailfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: I can be found railfanning the abandoned B&O Northern Sub.
Posts: 1,450
Default

For future reference when a company upgrades their radio system, if they don't destroy the old themselves, they trade the old in to those reputable radio dealers toward their new system. As was said, the old is destroyed, or that same reputable dealer will use the radios to their gain. I.E. Reprogramming, reconditioning like replacing the outer shell to get rid of "the CSX logo" and then reselling them as used, or parting those radios out for repairs to other radios.

You were skunked by Ebay.
__________________
A Picture Is Worth 1000 Words. A Memory Is Worth 1000 Pictures.
EMTRailfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 04:51 PM   #70
Scolagiaco
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 11
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMTRailfan View Post
For future reference when a company upgrades their radio system, if they don't destroy the old themselves, they trade the old in to those reputable radio dealers toward their new system. As was said, the old is destroyed, or that same reputable dealer will use the radios to their gain. I.E. Reprogramming, reconditioning like replacing the outer shell to get rid of "the CSX logo" and then reselling them as used, or parting those radios out for repairs to other radios.

You were skunked by Ebay.
Well it is what it is. I enjoyed the range while it lasted, nothing more, nothing less. At this point, I really dont care anymore. Time to buy a really really good scanner or another 2 way that can just receive.
Scolagiaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 08:15 PM   #71
troy12n
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 5,333
Default

Not to stir up this old thread, but I spent about 30 minuted at the Sanford Auto Train station this past Saturday and sure enough, they ran me off. I parked down the street and hung out around the road crossing, not on their property and some rent-a-cop came by on his golf cart and laid it out like "you cant be here, leave or i'm going to call the cops". So I left after getting a couple shots. I had no troubles at the Orlando Amtrak station which by the way is really in need of some help. Caught 90 and 97 there within 30 minutes of each other. The old Sanford passenger station is completely gone, dirt. It's amazing to see what Sanford was in the 70's and what it is now. They used to have a real yard, shops, lots of locals, more passenger trains, etc.
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 01:03 AM   #72
JRMDC
Senior Member
 
JRMDC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 11,201
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy12n View Post
It's amazing to see what Sanford was in the 70's and what it is now. They used to have a real yard, shops, lots of locals, more passenger trains, etc.
One place I have actually been to!

Image © Janusz Mrozek
PhotoID: 300992
Photograph © Janusz Mrozek
__________________
My RP pix are here.
My Flickr pix are here.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 04:18 PM   #73
troy12n
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 5,333
Default

The auto-train shop complex and Passenger station is about the only thing that remains. What I was referring to was all the "stuff" SCL / CSX had that is gone. The shops got consolidated to Tampa in the 70's, the Passenger station languished and rotted and was removed as a stop a few years ago and torn down recently. The yard is a shell of what it once was. I guess it's "progress". Back in the early 80's, there were tons of stored passenger cars in various states of disrepair belonging to Amtrak, SCL, Auto-Train and other railroads.
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 09:40 PM   #74
Joe the Photog
Senior Member
 
Joe the Photog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Columbia, SC
Posts: 7,885
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy12n View Post
...and laid it out like "you cant be here, leave or i'm going to call the cops". So I left after getting a couple shots.
My advice to anyone who is where they can be, when something like this happens, is to kindly tell the person making such a claim that maybe they should call the local LEOs to clear up the matter for everyone. If you're in the right, chances are the LEOs will tell the hired guys that you're right and they're wrong.

Be sure you're actually right though.

CSX used to try to run me off public access areas in Cayce. They were never too lucky with that. They never threatened to call the police, but at the time, I did tell the last guy that told me "CSX doesn't want you guys here" that maybe my employer would be interested in hearing why CSX was trying to curtail someone's First Amendent Right. I then gave him my business card with the TV station's logo on it where I worked at the time.

Problem solved.
__________________
Joe the Photog Dot Com
Joe the Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:59 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.