Old 03-13-2011, 01:43 PM   #101
Freericks
Met Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soo 6060 View Post
But why does everyone have to bash my opinion?
I've got no dog in this fight. Last good looking GE was the cab unit set of demonstrators that ran on the Erie and then UP bought in the 1950s.

Last good looking EMD was the FP45.

But here's the thing... I just gave an opinion, and everyone is now free to jump on and attack it. Why? Because it is just that... an opinion, my feelings (possibly based on some objective data, possibily purely subjective, however, either way, by its very nature, an attack itself on someone else's opinion).

There are folk who think the U25C was a great looking locomotive. My first statement above, whether true or not for me, is still an attack on their opinion, because it tacitly states that I am saying that my opinion is better than theirs.

It doesn't matter what board you post on, or what topic you choose, if you take a side on something (swimming pools are ugly, Kia's are cheap, rocky road is the best ice cream) you will have other people who feel differently read that and feel challenged.

If you want to post an opinion like EMD is greater than GE, you just have to accept that you are starting a battle. If you are up for the battle, have fun at it. If you don't want the battle, you're better off posting less opinion and more requests for advice and assistance. It' 100% up to you, which you prefer.

Last edited by Freericks; 03-13-2011 at 01:58 PM.
Freericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 05:22 PM   #102
coborn35

Wow. Give this fool the banhammer already.
And for the record Jim, no one refers to it as driving. That was annoying me too
In the UK you drive, in the US you "run" or "operate" a locomotive.
I personally have had a problem with those trying to tell us to turn railroad photography into an "art form." It's fine for them to do so, I welcome it in fact, but what I do have a problem with is that the practitioners of the more "arty" shots, I have found, tend to look down their nose's at others who are shooting more "mundane" shots.
Railroad photography is what you make of it, but one way is not "better" than another, IMHO. Unless you have a pole right thought the nose of the engine! -SG
coborn35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 03:01 AM   #103
CN Railfan

I just enjoy getting out and capturing whatever railroad action I can chance upon.
CN Railfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 04:17 AM   #104
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by coborn35 View Post
And for the record Jim, no one refers to it as driving. That was annoying me too
In the UK you drive, in the US you "run" or "operate" a locomotive.
I couldn't care less what anyone refers to it as. Simply put, it's driving.

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 04:33 AM   #105
mark woody

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias View Post
I couldn't care less what anyone refers to it as. Simply put, it's driving.
Agreed. Over here Locomotive Enginemen [proper term] are called enginemen over there they are engineers, long story short they are train drivers.
mark woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 04:43 AM   #106
coborn35

Fine by me, just sounds really dumb.
I personally have had a problem with those trying to tell us to turn railroad photography into an "art form." It's fine for them to do so, I welcome it in fact, but what I do have a problem with is that the practitioners of the more "arty" shots, I have found, tend to look down their nose's at others who are shooting more "mundane" shots.
Railroad photography is what you make of it, but one way is not "better" than another, IMHO. Unless you have a pole right thought the nose of the engine! -SG
Old 03-16-2011, 05:26 AM   #107
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by coborn35 View Post
Fine by me, just sounds really dumb.
Sorry, can't help you with that one.

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
Old 03-16-2011, 05:42 AM   #108
coborn35

Doesnt need any helping, to each his own.
Old 04-03-2011, 02:38 PM   #109
BarrySr

Send a message via Yahoo to BarrySr
Cool

Quote:

...They have garbage horns...

Damned garbage horns! Always get in my way when I have to remove them before I take out the trash.

Oh; and yeah, those stupid garbage horns REALLY get annoying when I'm checking in the WM trucks to the landfill here in Lewisville, TX. I mean, can you IMAGINE the sound of HUNDREDS of garbage horns going off in those trucks?! Can't hardly hear yourself think!

"I dug 'dem boats when diggin' em wasn't cool"

"Why are the crazy people so enamorate of all things EMD?" [Holloran Grade]

View My Photos on Railpictures.net

Last edited by BarrySr; 04-03-2011 at 03:23 PM. Reason: correct spelling
BarrySr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 02:43 PM   #110
BarrySr

Cool

Quote:

...Also:

People who love GEs tend to have the reputation to mess with me, Like Max Medlin, and all of these other Youtube users.
Glad to meet you, sir. We're gonna get along juuuuuuuuuuuuust fine; hehehe....

Old 04-03-2011, 02:47 PM   #111
BarrySr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freericks View Post

There are folk who think the U25C was a great looking locomotive.

Huh? You talkin' to me; you TALK - IN' ta ME?!

I think you're talking about, ohhh, maybe 2 - 3 people...

Old 04-03-2011, 05:52 PM   #112
JRMDC

Somehow already thin attempts at humor fall even flatter when expressed 18 days after the previous post in a thread.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 04:22 PM   #113
EMD

First off, I’m kindda embarrassed that my first reply in this forum goes to a”which one is better” kind of topic.

My opinion is that you guys (I’m not American) should be proud of your country’s rail heritage, especially the diesels’. I think that what US has produced thus far is of an excellence of itself.
I love US engines, their looks, power but especially their sounds. They’re unique and I’m sure they’re good, reliable and effective too, otherwise you would start importing locos.

I’m also one that is a little EMD biased. And that is mainly because – from what I’ve read, seen or discussed – they seem more in line with the general view of what’s more American kind of way, if you understand what I mean. Kindda like: why most truckers prefer Peterbilts to K-Whoppers or Fords? Looks, sounds and mostly depending to which fan side you’re talking to.
But I also like what GE is building and boy, do I miss ALCO? I’ve met more people of an advanced age telling me that if they could run trains again, they would only choose Alcos if they could… Yet Alco, in spite of their huge know-how, well built machines and a decent fan base had to dip the flag and admit that others were better; not particularly at building locos but at the whole spectrum of surviving the business of building locos. ‘Cose yes, after all, it’s a business.

EMDs are better then GEs? I don’t think so. Besides, there might be tons of reasons why Amtrak chose a GE replacement for their EMD F40PHs. It’s probably because GE spends a lot more time in R&D of other areas like speed, economy, foreign technology, design features and the likes; in other words being the builder that’s more open to other less American ideas…
But then again, ALCO built legends: the Challengers and the BigBoys. EMD did it too with SD40 series. Yet GE, all taken, appears to have failed in this department. Could it also be this that boosts the “Boo-GE” camp????

One has also to remember that EMD was always kind of the smaller of the two in terms of finances. That surely impacts on a series of things that limits other things. Now with a new-found rich parent in Caterpillar I wonder what new things would flash the EMD badge to the future?

Both are great. Both have (like all things) pluses and minuses.
But in the end, be proud you have them!
EMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 08:38 PM   #114
Andrew Hamblyn

Yay!! A GE vs EMD debate!

Here in li'l ol' New Zealand, on he mainlin we have two models of EMD export locos (both built by GMDD Canada) and one built by GE.

Personally I am a big fan of our 35 year old GE's (rebuilt several times over) than our 30 year old rebuilt GM's.

Why? Well the GE's ( http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=364839 ) are heavier, have more horsepower, will pull anything and all have recently (last 5 years or so) been rebuilt with Brightstar control systems and brand new cabs with very good ergonomics for the LE's. They are very comfy and uber reliable.

Now, to be fair, our GM's are only 2400hp (turbo 645-12) vs our GE's 3000hp (7fdl12) and are about 10 tons lighter, and quite slippery on their feet.
( http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=307041 )

Unmolested the GM's were pretty responsive compared to the GE's and when fitted with a locally made wheelslip module ( Maxitrax ) they could pull like nothing, just somewhat slower than the GE's.
The Maxitrax modules wore out, and the designer fled the country and took his intellectual property with him so our railway boffins decided that GE's Brightstar system would be a good replacement to manage the GM locos, but how sadly wrong they were, and they turned an ok loco into a dog really quickly.
Long story short, they stopped fitting Brightstar to the GM locos and started using the big GE's on services to replace the now useless GM locos.

Our GM's were rebuilt in the early 90's, fitted with turbos locally and had extra weight added, but now 20 years on they shake and rattle and bounce and wobble something feirce and not very nice to operate....

Plus our GE's spit out flames, sound fantastic and go hard. Also due to the local operation I spend more time in GE's than GM's.... sweet!

Andrew Hamblyn
Loco Engineer,
Kiwi Rail
NZ
Andrew Hamblyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 03:24 AM   #115
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMD View Post

I’m also one that is a little EMD biased. And that is mainly because – from what I’ve read, seen or discussed – they seem more in line with the general view of what’s more American kind of way, if you understand what I mean.
Not sure I understand, but just for S & G, I'd have to say GE is much more the "American way" than EMD considering Thomas Edison had something to do with the creation of the company back in the 1800s. It doesn't get any more "American" than that!

Old 06-02-2011, 04:27 PM   #116
jnohallman

Quote:
Not sure I understand, but just for S & G, I'd have to say GE is much more the "American way" than EMD considering Thomas Edison had something to do with the creation of the company back in the 1800s. It doesn't get any more "American" than that!
GE has also apparently found out a way to avoid paying taxes, which is also the "American way" . . .

Jon

Click here to see my photos on RP.net!

Do not, under any circumstances whatsoever, click here. Don't even think about it. I'm warning you!
jnohallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 04:44 PM   #117
JRMDC

Quote:
Well, how much more "American" can one get than General Motors, as in baseball, hot dogs, apple pie, and Chevrolet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnohallman View Post
GE has also apparently found out a way to avoid paying taxes, which is also the "American way" . . .

Jon
ha ha ha ha, sad but true

I presume that GM, having received billions in a bailout, or the government having lost billions during its period of ownership, or whatever the details are, is also practicing a form of the "American way".

Please, please, let's not get into an argument about whether the bailout or TARP, etc., were worth it! Let's just enjoy train photography here.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 05:54 PM   #118
Freericks
Met Fan

Quote:
More American that General Motors?

You ever hear the quote, "As GM goes, so goes the nation?"

How about "What's good for General Motors is good for the country and vice-versa?"

As J noted, "They go together, in the good old USA, baseball and hotdogs, apple pie, and cheverolet."

"See the USA in your Cheverolet."

None of which is to say GE isn't American, but it doesn't get more American than GM.

Willie Durant is spinning in his grave.
Old 06-03-2011, 12:21 PM   #119
JimThias

Quote:
None of which is to say GE isn't American, but it doesn't get more American than GM.
To me, GE is more of an American iconic business name than GM, but that's just me.

Old 06-03-2011, 02:11 PM   #120
troy12n
Banned

Quote:
To me, GE is more of an American iconic business name than GM, but that's just me.
Neither is as American as POM Wonderful Presents: The Greatest Movie Ever Sold
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 04:20 PM   #121
bigbassloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy12n View Post
Neither is as American as POM Wonderful Presents: The Greatest Movie Ever Sold
F-C-I-G Awesome.

That is all

Loyd L.

My personal photography site
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 04:24 PM   #122
jnohallman

EMD is not the same as GM. It didn't start out under GM, and hasn't been a part of GM since 2005. That doesn't make it any less American, though.

Jon

Click here to see my photos on RP.net!

Do not, under any circumstances whatsoever, click here. Don't even think about it. I'm warning you!
jnohallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 09:09 PM   #123
stlgevo51

Aren't you guys forgetting ALCO?
Youtube Videos
stlgevo51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 09:25 PM   #124
Freericks
Met Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnohallman View Post
EMD is not the same as GM. It didn't start out under GM, and hasn't been a part of GM since 2005. That doesn't make it any less American, though.

Jon
Many of GM's parts began as independent companies.

General Electric began in the locomotive business as Alco's partner.

Regarding Alco, they've sadly been gone for 42 years (Fairbanks Morse, Baldwin and Lima have been gone for longer).
Old 06-03-2011, 09:45 PM   #125
J

Quote:
Regarding Alco, they've sadly been gone for 42 years (Fairbanks Morse, Baldwin and Lima have been gone for longer).
As for locomotive (in North America) go, that is correct. India has a huge fleet of Alco-powered locomotive built under license and Fairbanks Morse still markets their 38D opposed piston engine and the Alco 251 engine for industrial power uses.

http://www.fairbanksmorse.com/engine_fm_alco_251.php
Attached Images
File Type: jpg engine_4.jpg (28.4 KB, 121 views)

Last edited by J; 06-03-2011 at 10:06 PM.
J is offline   Reply With Quote