Old 05-27-2008, 05:10 PM   #1
Walter S

Send a message via AIM to Walter S
Default CSRR 6 Locomotive Photo Shoot

About two weeks ago at the time of this posting I was asked to setup a photo shoot with all of the Cass Scenic Railroad's locomotives. At the time only five out of the six where in steam but Shay #11 would be fired up later that week. This photo shoot was definitely something special, kind of like I was making a little bit of history. Where else in the America can you see six steam locomotives fired up at the same time? At this moment nowhere and with them all being geared logging locomotives it makes it that much more special. The photos where shot high up in the air using a cherry picker (man lift) engine placement was a little tough as I wanted all 6 locomotives to be seen. I decided to put the Heisler by itself and the Shays all together. In the 45 year history of the Cass Scenic Railroad there has never been six locomotives in steam and even in the logging days there may have never been six locomotives all together in Cass as some where on the mountain. I hope you all enjoy this photo, I will be adding more in the coming days.

Image © WalterS
PhotoID: 237046
Photograph © WalterS

Last edited by Walter S; 05-27-2008 at 05:13 PM.
Walter S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 06:43 PM   #2
Walter S

Below are two more shots from the big shoot.

Image © WalterS
PhotoID: 237214
Photograph © WalterS

Image © WalterS
PhotoID: 237213
Photograph © WalterS
Old 05-29-2008, 11:09 PM   #3
Save The Wave
trainchaser.us

Send a message via MSN to Save The Wave

Walter, your photographic depictions of Cass are among the best I've ever seen.
It was obviously a fantastic experience, and I for one appreciate you sharing your work with the RP community!

The good, the bad and the ugly. My railpics
Save The Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 06:59 PM   #4
Walter S

Thank you for the kind words, so glad you enjoy my photo's.
Old 06-02-2008, 09:30 PM   #5
JimThias

I voted a PCA for the first one. You're up against some stiff competition, but I hope you still win one. It reminds me of a shot from the early days of steam & photography when RR employees would pose for a shot.
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 05:44 AM   #6
Walter S

Thanks Jim for the PCA, I think its worthy. Yes I think it was genius of me to have the crew stand out infront of the engines It does remind one of the good old days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias
I voted a PCA for the first one. You're up against some stiff competition, but I hope you still win one. It reminds me of a shot from the early days of steam & photography when RR employees would pose for a shot.
Old 06-03-2008, 06:11 AM   #7
Mgoldman

If this "choice" photo does not get a PC I will stop shooting steam and switch to diesel full time, and I may even sell my Canon 40D and start shooting with a camera that comes on a key chain.

For those thinking "well, it was, in fact, a staged shot" - recall that it was staged by the Walter himself and that's part of the equation - it's not only perfectly staged and composed, but perfectly captured and exposed as well. Absolutely perfect.

/Mitch
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 07:15 PM   #8
Walter S

Looks like you can keep shooting steam woth your 40D Mitch, glad everything worked out HAHA. Thanks
Old 06-09-2008, 07:17 PM   #9
Mgoldman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter S
Looks like you can keep shooting steam woth your 40D Mitch, glad everything worked out HAHA. Thanks
Whew!
I started practicing with diesel and electric just in case.
Congrats, Walt!

/Mitch
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 09:17 PM   #10
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgoldman
If this "choice" photo does not get a PC I will stop shooting steam and switch to diesel full time, and I may even sell my Canon 40D and start shooting with a camera that comes on a key chain.

For those thinking "well, it was, in fact, a staged shot" - recall that it was staged by the Walter himself and that's part of the equation - it's not only perfectly staged and composed, but perfectly captured and exposed as well. Absolutely perfect.

/Mitch
That's why I drew the comparison to classic steam shots where the crew is posing by a train. We all love those so much, so I don't see any difference with Walter's. If there IS a difference (in somebody's eyes) that difference is we are here to experience it so it just doesn't feel the same. But in 50 years when someone sees his picture, those future rainfans are probably going to appreciate it the way we appreciate those classic shots now. And besides, most of those classic shots with crews posing were staged as well.

And Mitch, it appears you don't have to give up steam photography NOR your camera. Congrats, Walter!

edit: Oops, just noticed the above posts.

Last edited by JimThias; 06-09-2008 at 09:22 PM.
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote