Old 01-09-2016, 03:41 AM   #1
ACR_Ted

Default Rejects???

Here are 2 photos I submitted, and I think both reasons for that are not right

First one:

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...55&key=9427365

Blurry...true, the trailing units are soft, but the leading unit is sharp. Just a result of narrow depth of field.

Second:

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...56&key=3123885

Underexposed??? I don't think so!

Time to get a Flickr account I guess....

Ted
ACR_Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 05:45 AM   #2
Noct Foamer

First one is not really sharp. I don't think you were using a tripod. Second one is actually exposed about right. You could brighten up parts of it with software.

Kent in SD
Noct Foamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 06:43 AM   #3
ATSF666

Nobody used tripods when those photos were taken. They accept incredibly bad photos from the 60's and 70's and reject great photos like these. That's why I submitted very few photos from that era to this site as it was a total waste of my time most of the time.
Old 01-09-2016, 02:43 PM   #4
JRMDC

The first one, I don't think it is a DoF issue. I think it simply needs sharpening. Althoguh I've never understood the difference between undersharpened and blurry. Perhaps it is simply the screener's assessment of whether the underlying image is of poor quality (blurry) or was not processed to RP's satisfaction (undershaprened). I would sharpen, and when you resubmit make sure to mention in the comment to the screener what you did and that the DoF is shallow.

The second one, it doesn't look like dawn light to me, unless that is storm light. At any rate, the areas by the trucks are completely dark, which makes the entire thing look dark. I realize this is a slide and there is a limit to what one can do, but see if you can use the shadows tool - if you have that in your software - to brighten up the trucks a bit and reveal some detail, if it exists.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 02:48 PM   #5
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATSF666 View Post
Nobody used tripods when those photos were taken. They accept incredibly bad photos from the 60's and 70's and reject great photos like these.
I agree that RP accepts older shots of poor quality at times and is inconsistent, but in their defense here I think people often fail to make the following distinction. There is a difference between rejecting a shot and rejecting a shot in its current form. The former seems blunt and final, the latter flexible. It might be psychologically easier on people if the term "reject" were replaced by something else. Often RP does not reject but rather requests adjustments. Huge difference.

I see no problem with getting the second one on with an adjustment. For that matter, I bet that the first one, sharpened more, and seen by a different screener, gets on.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 01-09-2016, 05:51 PM   #6
miningcamper1

"...the difference between undersharpened and blurry"

Easy. If you attempt to sharpen "blurry", it still looks bad. DOA.

F unit shot might be fixable with selective sharpening.

Windows 8.1 Auto Fix does a nice job on the GP30 shot:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WIN_8.1_warm.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	329.2 KB
ID:	9064  

RP Photos: www.railpictures.net/miningcamper1/
miningcamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 06:35 PM   #7
JRMDC

Mining, I agree on the sharpening/blur, I just think it is awfully hard sometimes for the screener to make that call. In marginal cases only the uploader can tell.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 01-09-2016, 06:51 PM   #8
ACR_Ted

Thanks for the comments!

I may try to fix these shots, but I am also finding a lot of other shots as I go through slides that have not seen the light of day for over 30 years . As I get them scanned I'll try submitting some of them to RP.

The GP30 shot was taken just after sunrise with the clouds moving in from the west.

I was a 17 year old kid when I shot those photos with a used Kodak Rangefinder camera on Kodachrome II film, and yes, no tripod! I did use a tripod for time exposures at night of course.

Even Flickr doesn't like me...tried uploading a few photos, and after doing one, the browser screen turned white and said not responding! But then, most anything to do with Yahoo is hosed, IMHO.

Guess I'll look around for another photo hosting site.

Ted
Old 01-09-2016, 08:17 PM   #9
miningcamper1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACR_Ted View Post
...tried uploading a few photos, and after doing one, the browser screen turned white and said not responding!
This could be your browser or even your computer. I was having upload trouble on Flickr every time using Firefox. So I tried Chrome instead, with no problem at all. Maybe because of the Adblock* on Firefox?

My old laptop also goes into "not responding" mode often- but I just like Vista over WIN 8.1, so I don't fire up my new desktop Lenovo except for photo editing.

*I opened some photo on 500px(?) the other day and got "Hello Adblock user..."

Old 01-09-2016, 08:46 PM   #10
JRMDC

Ted, first of all, please keep at it, regardless of what venue they ultimately appear in. Nice to see this stuff. But second, I think it pays to master a basic set of processing skills, not only for RP uploading, but in general. The improved quality will be much appreciated by all who view your shots. Slide to digital does require a bit of extra work, but I encourage you to do it, and in particular to master the skills so it doesn't cost much time. For example, miningcamper's adjustment to your shot probably took only seconds; it was an auto fix, after all. A little goes a LONG way.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 01-11-2016, 05:42 AM   #11
ACR_Ted

Thanks for the comments! I certainly intend to keep at it and get better at scanning those old Kodachromes before they fade and rot. Some of the first Kodachrome X slides I shot in 1967 are pretty far gone, and not worth even trying to upload here. But there are others that are pretty decent and with some Photoshopping should be fine.

I suspect that the issues with Yahoo/Flickr are Firefox related...some of the other pages there will load, others do not. The ones that don't load just show a red and a blue ball moving around in the center of the screen. And yes, I have FF with Ad Block Extreme, No Script and Ghostery at max settings! I just hate those ads that bounce and move all over, cover up content, etc.

JRMDC - can you recommend a book or on-line site for getting better at Photoshop? I have CS6 (no, I will not rent the newer versions!) and I think I have some of the basics, but obviously not all.

MiningCamper - what is Windows 8.1 Autofix?? I have Windows 7 here.

Thanks!

Ted
Old 01-11-2016, 01:46 PM   #12
Noct Foamer

To learn software I just found a graphics student at a local college and paid them $15/hr to teach me one on one. I learned very quickly that way. I use Photoshop CC, Lightroom, and Portrait Pro.

Kent in SD
Old 01-11-2016, 05:02 PM   #13
JRMDC

Quote:
JRMDC - can you recommend a book or on-line site for getting better at Photoshop? I have CS6 (no, I will not rent the newer versions!) and I think I have some of the basics, but obviously not all.
Sorry, I cannot. I vaguely recall that when I started out with PS Elements 3 I had some sort of a book, but no longer recall what. To give some sense of how long ago that was, at some point I upgraded to PS Elements 9 and have recently upgraded to PS Elements 14. So it has been a while! I do need to invest a bit and get my skills to be more current. In general I have learned most of my skills by looking online.

I do know that books by Scott Kelby are well regarded and he has been around quite a while. I would not be surprised if you found that there was a CS6 book out there that you could buy used online for cheap, perhaps a penny plus shipping.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 01-11-2016, 05:57 PM   #14
Decapod401

You may want to look at Lynda.com. It is a site full of software training tutorials, including quite a few CS6 courses. Unfortunately, it is also a rent-by-month site that has a free trial period. I have not personally used any of their tutorials, but they have a good reputation. Maybe you can look at the CS6 courses and then cancel before the free trial is over.
Decapod401 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 06:35 PM   #15
miningcamper1

Quote:

MiningCamper - what is Windows 8.1 Autofix?? I have Windows 7 here.

I have no experience with Windows 7, but compared to Vista, Windows 8.1 has far superior one-click fix. It presents 5 versions of the image to choose from (warm, cool, warmer, vignette, b/w). It also has separate highlights and shadows adjustments.

Old 01-11-2016, 07:20 PM   #16
JRMDC

Windows 8.1 what, please, miningcamper? Is there some sort of photo processing software that is bundled with the OS, something more than MS Paint?

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 01-11-2016, 09:35 PM   #17
KevinM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC View Post
Sorry, I cannot. I vaguely recall that when I started out with PS Elements 3 I had some sort of a book, but no longer recall what. To give some sense of how long ago that was, at some point I upgraded to PS Elements 9 and have recently upgraded to PS Elements 14. So it has been a while! I do need to invest a bit and get my skills to be more current. In general I have learned most of my skills by looking online.

I do know that books by Scott Kelby are well regarded and he has been around quite a while. I would not be surprised if you found that there was a CS6 book out there that you could buy used online for cheap, perhaps a penny plus shipping.
Sure, there are plenty of books on PS, PSE and LR, but honestly, reading them is like reading the flight manual for an airplane. I know what switches to throw and when, but it does nothing for my basic stick and rudder skills. For that, there is no substitute for experience and for an instructor who is willing to share some of the secrets of the trade. I fumbled around for years with PSE and LR manuals and never felt like I was getting better at processing. Then, I started looking at YouTube videos, in which the "instructor" actually starts from scratch with a raw file. While they didn't make me an expert, I now generally LIKE the way my photos look....and that didn't used to be the case.

Either start looking at YouTube videos and see how various people go through their workflow, or find someone who will sit in the copilot seat with you and show you the secrets. Good luck finding an accomplished photographer who will do the latter. The YouTube route is the next best thing.

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.

Last edited by KevinM; 01-11-2016 at 09:37 PM.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 01:05 AM   #18
JimThias

What Kevin said. Youtube has an endless supply photoshop tutorials.

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 02:34 AM   #19
John West
Senior Curmudgeon

Smile

I think both the subject shots should be accepted but they both require some better post processing. Scanning slides is not a no brainer.

I have spent a lot of time scanning and adjusting 35mm slides taken between 1958 and 2007 when I switched to digital. Processing slides through Photoshop can be challenging, but you can greatly improve the pictures. For example there is often a lot of detail hidden in shadows that can be recovered in photoshop. And within limits you can improve contrast and color balance, and even sharpness.

But the scanning process itself creates some issues. Scanning virtually inherently softens a photo a bit, so some sharpening is needed to get back to where you started. And scanning often changes the color balance somewhat.

In general "post processing" film originals is more work that with digital originals, and skill and experience is more important. That said, a sharp, well lighted, well exposed Kodachrome II original should not be hard. I shot a lot of Kodachrome II (which was different from Kodachrome 25) and in my opinion Kodachrome II was about the best scanning slide film ever, at least until Provia came along.

Hopefully those with old historic slides will make the effort to get good digital versions and share the results.

Here is an album of some of my before and after results with Photoshop: http://www.lifewastedchasingtrains.c...g2_itemId=3168

Last edited by John West; 01-12-2016 at 02:40 AM.
John West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 02:56 AM   #20
Noct Foamer

Dang, with that kind of money you could restart Efke and fix the machine. My ultimate camera? An original Giroux. Oh, with a Chevalier lens!

Kent in SD
Old 01-12-2016, 03:15 AM   #21
miningcamper1

Quote:
Originally Posted by John West View Post
Scanning slides is not a no brainer.
That's for sure!

I allowed the scanner to make the decisions when it was new, but I later realized that "advanced" mode yielded larger files with many corrections to choose from. Fading correction is often useful.

Last edited by miningcamper1; 01-12-2016 at 04:48 AM. Reason: revision
Old 01-12-2016, 03:22 AM   #22
miningcamper1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC View Post
Windows 8.1 what, please, miningcamper? Is there some sort of photo processing software that is bundled with the OS, something more than MS Paint?
It seems to be integral rather than an add-on. It's separate from Paint, which also has been improved.

Right-click image > open with > photos > left or right click > edit.

Old 01-12-2016, 04:26 AM   #23
NorthWest

If it is the Windows Live Photo Gallery editor, then it is also included in Windows 7.
NorthWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 05:12 AM   #24
Noct Foamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noct Foamer View Post
Dang, with that kind of money you could restart Efke and fix the machine. My ultimate camera? An original Giroux. Oh, with a Chevalier lens!

Kent in SD

LOL. I was reading a thread on a large format photography forum where someone asked, "What camera would you buy if you won the big lottery?" I answered that I wanted a Giroux, the first camera ever made commercially (back in 1840 for Daguerre). The Chevalier lens was the second lens made for photography*, and it was a big flop. The Petzval lens trounced it, making the Chevalier a rarity. I was reading the LF forum but somehow had a reply window open here. Sorry for the confusion.

Kent in SD
*first lens used for photography
was an achromatic doublet. I
have one mounted for Nikon F.