Old 01-24-2018, 03:26 PM   #1
SantaFebuff

Send a message via Yahoo to SantaFebuff Send a message via Skype™ to SantaFebuff
Default Signal Shots and RailPics...

Hi all,

I don't post much on this forum, but I'd like to hear some feed back on this. Usually I can sense out what the screeners are telling me, but sometimes I get a little lost.

I have two signal shots that I took last night and attempted to upload, both rejected for poor aesthetic quality. Being that there is plenty of railroad content, I assume it's because you don't really have or see a train passing by... and that the image is mostly just the signal?

Here are the rejected two:

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...39&key=3715870
^ I am not very happy with that one, so I didn't really expect it up.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...38&key=9667468
^ This is the one I thought was good.

I've tried old signal cantilevers before, and they always get pulled off with poor aesthetic quality. That's why I feel its because you can't see any of the trains themselves, but I haven't been actively a part of the community here so I am not sure if that's actually the reason.

Thanks,
Old 01-24-2018, 04:01 PM   #2
RobJor

I have poor results myself on these, don't try too much since not my favorite but the one you like should be tightened up?? cropped bottom and right, get rid of the road and the pipe and stuff on right. After that looks a little bright and needs some contrast, the black sky should be dark. Not sure of chances, don't remember too many lately of that type.

Bob
RobJor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 05:08 PM   #3
troy12n
Banned

Those type shots were all the rage 5 or more years ago but have falled out of favor recently.
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 05:41 PM   #4
SantaFebuff

Send a message via Yahoo to SantaFebuff Send a message via Skype™ to SantaFebuff

Thanks for the feedback, I'll try those corrections for my own personal use as I like to frame shots of old signals and I also share on Flickr.

I always seem to be years behind on trends, but I never claimed to be a trendy person! To me this shot style is always in season.

Cheers,
Old 01-24-2018, 05:43 PM   #5
amtrak07t

These kinds of shots are really overdone. Unless it has a "wow" factor, it's not likely to get on. The colors in both shots are a bit bland, and they don't have that "mysterious, nightly" mood to them. Changing the WB may help.
amtrak07t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 06:17 PM   #6
bigbassloyd

First shot:
1. Ballast is boring. The composition doesn't work very well
2. Huge area of over-exposure on the train, which isn't appealing
3. Color is washed out

Second shot:
1. Centered composition with lots of dead space. I'd consider zooming in for a more detailed view of the signal
2. Right side of the frame is quite soft
3. Color cast leaning towards yellow

You gotta bring the 'A' game present day, because the night signal niche was blown up on here several years ago by a few night shooters who did a really good job capturing old C&O Cantilevers, and N&W CPL's around WV and VA

Image © Loyd Lowry
PhotoID: 390222
Photograph © Loyd Lowry

Image © Jon Wright
PhotoID: 514178
Photograph © Jon Wright

Image © Loyd Lowry
PhotoID: 379711
Photograph © Loyd Lowry

Image © Chase Gunnoe
PhotoID: 391120
Photograph © Chase Gunnoe

Image © Loyd Lowry
PhotoID: 400400
Photograph © Loyd Lowry

Loyd L.

Last edited by bigbassloyd; 01-24-2018 at 07:30 PM.
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 06:25 PM   #7
RobJor

Image © Andrew Lummis
PhotoID: 641611
Photograph © Andrew Lummis

Here is a recent that is somewhat similar. I also saw you had a pretty nice one a while back. The example has a little of Wow factor, yours seems like there was a lot of extra ambient light around???

This is the more common lately, but with a wider angle lens darker skies and everything twisted round.

Image © Jacob Leukhardt
PhotoID: 644495
Photograph © Jacob Leukhardt

Bob
Old 01-24-2018, 06:47 PM   #8
RobJor

I wouldn't necessarily give up, it is frustrating but also the challenge. Wait a while and play with it. maybe something like below.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Signals.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	441.6 KB
ID:	9561  

Last edited by RobJor; 01-24-2018 at 06:52 PM.
Old 01-25-2018, 12:05 AM   #9
Joseph Cermak

It seems to me these shots are very hit or miss with screeners. Set it aside and try later with some edits as suggested above.
Joseph Cermak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 02:04 AM   #10
JimThias

You've got to have some drama in night time signal shots, very much like the examples Loyd posted. There is no drama in the OP's rejections. Sorry to be so blunt, but the are very bland night time signal shots.

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 02:49 AM   #11
SantaFebuff

Hey nothing wrong with being blunt, I agree, I just didn't see it when I set up the shot.

I'm still in the novice phase, and this is why I post here. I don't do photography a whole bunch, but do enjoy it. Never took classes, and am self-taught. Love to throw stuff up here once in awhile to get some guidance as needed.

I'm glad someone else noticed the right side is soft, I keep getting that out of this lens. It's a Nikon NIKKOR DX 18-140mm VR-II lens. I feel as if I could counter it better myself.

Thanks, keep it coming!
Old 01-25-2018, 03:23 AM   #12
Joseph Cermak

I agree with the need for some type of action/drama. I only have one such shot, and even with the passing train, I got a PAQ on the first submission so I just held on to it and tried again 6 months later with some tweaking and it got on.

Image © mtnclimberjoe
PhotoID: 643094
Photograph © mtnclimberjoe
Joseph Cermak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 01:24 PM   #13
bigbassloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by SantaFebuff View Post
Hey nothing wrong with being blunt, I agree, I just didn't see it when I set up the shot.

I'm still in the novice phase, and this is why I post here. I don't do photography a whole bunch, but do enjoy it. Never took classes, and am self-taught. Love to throw stuff up here once in awhile to get some guidance as needed.

I'm glad someone else noticed the right side is soft, I keep getting that out of this lens. It's a Nikon NIKKOR DX 18-140mm VR-II lens. I feel as if I could counter it better myself.

Thanks, keep it coming!
I'm more than happy to help a fellow night shooter. I started out doing night photography back in 2006 because it was the only time I had free (job, wife, newborn son, etc.). There wasn't a whole lot of night railroad stuff going on for the most part, so I was swimming with a block tied to my foot for quite a while.

Loyd L.
Old 01-25-2018, 02:17 PM   #14
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by SantaFebuff View Post

Same here. I'd guess the majority of photographers here are self-taught, too. And that involves a lot of trial and error, and more dogs than gems. Trust me, I have plenty of dogs from over the past decade or so since I started taking photography seriously!

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote