Old 10-16-2015, 07:06 AM   #51
Mgoldman

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSX1702 View Post
Mitch your hand is so steady you got people thinking you're a photoshopper. That's like legendary level.
Lol - thanks Derek!

If only my still shots were as consistently sharp! Hope my response and link in the comments puts any suspicion to rest! Up next - a NKP 765 version - at 1/8th! Canon's 24-105 lens is nice and light. Just picked up the 24-70 II - no IS, and much heavier, gonna have to work on making the adjustment.

/Mitch
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 09:17 PM   #52
MassArt Images

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgoldman View Post
Can I plug my own (re-edited) shot?

It's been over a week and this 1/15th "zoom-pan" of N&W #611 has yet to break a 1000 views. It didn't even reach 400 during the first 24 hours. It was posted during the big drone linking blitz last week - bad timing out of my control.

Another good reason to post this shot here in the gallery is that I have re-edited the shot. The first time around I had left the ballast a bit overexposed - wouldn't it be nice to get an alert from RP when a shot you are following (commented on or liked) gets resubmitted?

So - everyone catch this one first time around?

Image © Mitch Goldman
PhotoID: 549313
Photograph © Mitch Goldman

/Mitch
Does the lens you use for these zoom pan shots have the slide zoom control? I would think that would go a long way to making these type of shots possible.

I also stumbled upon this shot that I thought was overlooked and has a unique appeal to it.

Image © Elijah Cross
PhotoID: 545151
Photograph © Elijah Cross

My RP pics are HERE

My website is HERE
MassArt Images is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 01:31 AM   #53
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassArt Images View Post
I also stumbled upon this shot that I thought was overlooked and has a unique appeal to it.

Image © Elijah Cross
Yeah, that's pretty cool, although the double wooden antennas would irritate me a bit if that were my photo.

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 05:45 AM   #54
Mgoldman

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassArt Images View Post
Does the lens you use for these zoom pan shots have the slide zoom control? I would think that would go a long way to making these type of shots possible.

Image © Elijah Cross
The only push /pull lens I've had, that I can recall, is the 200-400 mm lens. If I had used it for a zoom pan, I have nothing saved to prove any luck. I think the twist zoom works well, however, as there is not much motion involved or a change in the center of gravity.

As for the Amtrak shot - superb composition, but I an not a fan. Would not place it in the "exceptional category" as it seems to miss the mark most likely due to the weather conditions. The white sky is doing the photo no favors and it is lacking in contrast. It does not "pop" like a good black and white should. Just a bit murky looking.

/Mitch
Old 11-08-2015, 01:09 PM   #55
RobJor

Amtrak photo - lacking a true black?? but the interest to me when I see it is I want to know were that is and not knowing if a similar photo has appeared I give him a lot of credit for "seeing" that composition. Also find the appearance of the foreground brush interesting, almost like an infrared.

Bob
RobJor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 02:02 PM   #56
JimThias

Quote:
As for the Amtrak shot - superb composition, but I an not a fan. Would not place it in the "exceptional category" as it seems to miss the mark most likely due to the weather conditions. The white sky is doing the photo no favors and it is lacking in contrast. It does not "pop" like a good black and white should. Just a bit murky looking.

\Mitch
Agreed. I like what the photographer did here with the subject and composition, but the black and white conversion is pretty weak. Looks like a simple desaturation selection which keeps it from having that "pop."

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
Old 11-30-2015, 04:27 AM   #57
Mgoldman

Thought this was an exceptional shot - even if the thought of yet another drone shot makes you ill, some still manage to impress:

Image © Kevin Burkholder
PhotoID: 555700
Photograph © Kevin Burkholder

Great angle, little if any distortion, great color and a colorful consist all on a beautiful day at a very scenic location. Well done, Kevin!

And kudos to RP for selecting the image as Photo of the (rest of the) Week, for those who may have missed it during the 7 or 8 hours it was on the front page as "Top Shot". Sure it was also on the right side of the page as Top of Last Week for several days and even on the left side of the page as an SC, but now it's featured prominently as Photo of the Week for all to enjoy! It'll rightfully show up yet again (and rightfully) as a PC which should hold us all over until Railfan and Railroad magazine publishes it in their next issue.

Kudo's admin - until it made POTW, we had only a handful of links on FB to re-direct us to the image.

/Mitch

And now, it's here in the Forums. Kind of curious as to where on Jetphotos.net the link was created.
Old 11-30-2015, 04:29 PM   #58
JimThias

Quote:
Thought this was an exceptional shot - even if the thought of yet another drone shot makes you ill...
As opposed to another pan shot making us ill?

Accept it. Drone shots are here to stay, just like tall tripod shots (), wedgies, pans, rosters, etc.

Old 11-30-2015, 05:59 PM   #59
KevinM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias View Post
As opposed to another pan shot making us ill?

Accept it. Drone shots are here to stay, just like tall tripod shots (), wedgies, pans, rosters, etc.
And, we'll get bored with drone shots, just as we have with wedges, rosters, etc. As we get older, it takes progressively more and more to get us excited....in many aspects of life besides train photography.

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.

Last edited by KevinM; 11-30-2015 at 06:08 PM.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 07:38 PM   #60
miningcamper1

What could be more boring than generic power in generic locations in ho-hum light?

Bring on the drones! Hopefully with minimal distortion, though.

RP Photos: www.railpictures.net/miningcamper1/
miningcamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 10:26 PM   #61
KevinM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miningcamper1 View Post
What could be more boring than generic power in generic locations in ho-hum light?

The use of a drone doesn't necessarily guarantee that the locations will be interesting, the light will be good, or the distortion will be corrected. I submit that just as much as the camera doesn't make the photographer, neither will the drone. The only thing that the drone provides that a hand-held camera does not is the perspective of being airborne. Since most people rarely get up in the air, the bird's-eye view is still new and exciting to them...hence the popularity of drone shots.

I've been flying fixed-wing (manned) aircraft for 34 years, and while I am still incredibly thankful to the man upstairs for that privilege, I have to admit that drone shots don't give me the same gee-whiz feelings that they apparently give others. I can certainly see the seemingly limitless new angles that drone photography could provide me personally, and with my knowledge of the National Airspace System, I would probably be one of the most responsible drone owners around. Unfortunately, I also know how low-flying aircraft have the uncanny ability to piss people off on the ground, and quite honestly, in many cases where I would like to use a drone, I just know that the close proximity to people and private property make that proposition a really poor idea.

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 11:20 PM   #62
Mgoldman

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM View Post
The use of a drone doesn't necessarily guarantee that the locations will be interesting...
I agree - and even said as much. Kevin's shots are exceptional and a true pleasure to view. The thread was tongue and cheek - why admin would want to highlight a shot that's been viewed over 10,000 times on RP alone, in addition to being plastered all over not only RP's own front page (SC, Top of the Last 24, Top of the Week and now POTW) but the web as well, is beyond me. It's (rightfully) a sure thing for another week on the front page as PC.

It's akin to someone electing to play that overplayed song on the radio more time - for another week, every hour on the hour. You say it's a great photo it "deserves" it? Perhaps... but I think a photo that makes it's way to the top on the merit of the image, not the campaign are those that "deserve" a "bump", and front page highlighting. I think it's a poor choice overlooking other candidates that got buried in the database. Ha - "similar as previous" is a problem, yet the same image ad nausea is promoted? To me it's just more of the same on the "new" RP. It's not the image (even when it is, lol),it's the campaign.

/Mitch
Old 12-01-2015, 12:41 AM   #63
miningcamper1

Good points above. But like every other genre, maybe 10% of drone shots will be really good, and we can easily scroll past the not-so-good.

Old 12-02-2015, 12:11 AM   #64
JimThias

Quote:
Good points above. But like every other genre, maybe 10% of drone shots will be really good, and we can easily scroll past the not-so-good.
Exactly.

You know, we spend our entire lives hovering high over model train layouts without a second thought about it, yet when that perspective is brought to us in real life, many disregard it or think it'll be a passing fad. Hmmm....

As technology improves and the skill level of of drone photographers improves, an increase in quality images will occur as well. I look forward to seeing more and more in the coming years.

Old 12-02-2015, 12:22 AM   #65
JimThias

Here's an exceptional scene:

Image © Mitch Goldman
PhotoID: 556624

Well done, Mitch!

I have a suggestion if you ever plan to print this image, though. How about a simple desaturation of the bright green safety vests like this?

Click image for larger version

Name:	mitchsteam.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	393.4 KB
ID:	9051

Old 12-02-2015, 01:50 AM   #66
Dennis A. Livesey

"And what is this?"

Battle of the OCD'rs!

Smackdown Tice!

I Foam Therefore I Am.

My pix on RailPics:

I am on Flickr as well:

"Dennis is such a God, he could do that with a camera obscura and some homemade acetate." Holloran Grade

"To me it looks drawn in in Paintshop. It looks like a puddle of orange on the sky." SFO777
Dennis A. Livesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 02:04 AM   #67
miningcamper1

Quote:

Image © Mitch Goldman

Well done, Mitch!

I have a suggestion if you ever plan to print this image, though. How about a simple desaturation of the bright green safety vests like this?

Attachment 9051

Better yet, Invisibility Cloaks for all but the engineer!

[Photoshopping is fun, and the more practice at 2000%, the better!]

BTW, the 765 can climb mountains, but she isn't a "mountain"!

Last edited by miningcamper1; 12-02-2015 at 02:31 PM. Reason: revision
Old 12-02-2015, 02:27 AM   #68
Mgoldman

Quote:

Image © Mitch Goldman

Well done, Mitch!

Attachment 9051

Thanks Jim!

Great suggestion - especially considering the fact that NS was bold enough to run these trips without a diesel. Then again, the raised coal bunker does give away the date.

Back to the thread subject - Exceptional and "overlooked", here's one from Dennis Livesey that better fits the thread:

Image © Dennis A. Livesey
PhotoID: 543649
Photograph © Dennis A. Livesey

An exceptional AND overlooked image proving the power of the badge - or, sadly, lack of a badge and the user generated campaign in lieu of it. I like Dennis's wider crop capturing both the full plume and spectators on the river's edge. I may have gone the same direction had I found an appealing way to do so.

I'll give you a pass, however - as you captured in my image what both the screener and myself overlooked! Proof, to you, lol, that I invested some time in getting the horizon correct, lol. Actually, I thought it was tilted slightly CCW but it looked better then what I initially considered level.

One nice thing about "similar to previous" images on RP - they allow the viewer(s) an opportunity to see alternate aspects of a similar image (think, vs choosing white paint for your kitchen wall you have a choice of off white, vanilla, cream, ect.). Another nice perk - for the photographers posting - a chance to re-evalute their own edits. I like seeing images similar to my own but with a different angle, temperature or aspect ratio, or even a B&W.

While the "power" of the SC is obvious (and requires absolutely no FB whoring), I'm gonna suggest it was the warmth in the image that made it stand apart. And a tweak easily applied to the "overlooked" exceptional shot above.

/Mitch

Last edited by Mgoldman; 12-02-2015 at 08:13 PM.
Old 12-02-2015, 02:39 AM   #69
Dennis A. Livesey

First glance of Mitch's 765 Weissport shot was, "My shot got a Screener's Choice?"

It shows that you can't make this stuff happen, a photo has a life of it's own. That is why so-so shot's go boom and exceptional shot's do not go boom.

I Foam Therefore I Am.

My pix on RailPics:

I am on Flickr as well:

"Dennis is such a God, he could do that with a camera obscura and some homemade acetate." Holloran Grade

"To me it looks drawn in in Paintshop. It looks like a puddle of orange on the sky." SFO777
Dennis A. Livesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 02:55 AM   #70
Mgoldman

I dunno - I think if Arthur Fellig was alive today, he may have said:

"F8 and link there"

A photo has to be seen to be appreciated.

We all want a big audience, however, it's a shame RP is no longer the place where we can see photos compete among each other based solely on their own appeal. Excuse my use of the word "compete", I know it's immoral today. In the past, it would have a tendency to spur others to constantly attempt to improve their craft.

Fortunately, RP is still a place a photographer can be seen, though like the railfan magazines, it seems it's the campaign keeping the regulars in play. I'm not a campaigner, I guess, I'll just have to keep improving my game, lol.

/Mitch
Old 12-02-2015, 03:13 AM   #71
Mberry

Quote:

Image © Mitch Goldman

Well done, Mitch!

Attachment 9051

Also, I hate to be that guy, but that's a 2-8-4, not a 4-8-2.
Mberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 03:41 AM   #72
Mgoldman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mberry View Post
Also, I hate to be that guy, but that's a 2-8-4, not a 4-8-2.
Ugh... just let it default for all of them after the first slip up. Pending correction.

/Mitch
Old 12-02-2015, 08:46 PM   #73
Mgoldman

Here's a nice shot hovering in the middle of the pack by Bill Edgar.

It's not a dramatic sunset, nor a glint shot, nor something uniquely creative - but it's a sweet shot that, I'll bet with an SC, would've soared in views, likes and comments:

Image © Bill Edgar
PhotoID: 556739
Photograph © Bill Edgar

Love the location, the contrasts between foreground and background and the tack sharp train despite its distance from the photographer.

/Mitch

Last edited by Mgoldman; 12-02-2015 at 09:00 PM.
Old 12-09-2015, 01:03 AM   #74
Mgoldman

20 favorites in two days - that's not a bad number, though, imagine had it gotten an SC, or simply made its way to the front page? Less my own comment, only one other. Maybe Kevin Burkholder is on to something...

Not only a beautiful shot and a fantastic composition, but a shot hard to duplicate with great Winter light and strangely cooperative clouds!

Image © Bruce Budris
PhotoID: 557394
Photograph © Bruce Budris

"Stop, look and comment" -

/Mitch
Old 12-09-2015, 01:12 AM   #75
Mgoldman

Two more:

Doing well enough, I suppose, on the "favorites" end, though strangely absent any comments. Imagine seeing these at a friend's house during a slide show and when the photos appear on the screen - no one says anything... does it really need to hit the front page for a comment? Sometimes I think RP viewers are oblivious otherwise.

Nick's SC /Top of Last 24 hours is great - so it will remain as a PC, isn't POTW overkill?
"Same as same front page shot(s)" if you ask me. At least "similar to previous is not the same shot nor the same photographer.

Image © John Crisanti
PhotoID: 556741
Photograph © John Crisanti

Image © David Carballido-Jeans
PhotoID: 557487
Photograph © David Carballido-Jeans

/Mitch