Old 10-09-2008, 05:33 PM   #1
Jaypee_Logger
Blasting over a red flag.

Send a message via MSN to Jaypee_Logger Send a message via Yahoo to Jaypee_Logger
Question Power lines.

Is there anyway to edit the power lines out of this photo? I have some editing soft wear but it wont do that. Is there any softwear out there that will edit out foreground stuff while leaving the background untouched?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	018.JPG
Views:	202
Size:	484.4 KB
ID:	3412  
Old 10-09-2008, 05:35 PM   #2
trainboysd40

Send a message via MSN to trainboysd40

It's hard to tell from my tiny screen here, but a good clone stamping should help. What software do you currently have?
Obligatory link to shots on RP, HERE
trainboysd40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 05:41 PM   #3
Jaypee_Logger

Send a message via MSN to Jaypee_Logger Send a message via Yahoo to Jaypee_Logger

I have photoshop 5.0 LE
Old 10-09-2008, 06:07 PM   #4
ottergoose
American Gunzel

Send a message via AIM to ottergoose Send a message via Yahoo to ottergoose

Look in the help section of your software for "clone," and you should find what you need.
Old 10-09-2008, 06:30 PM   #5
Jaypee_Logger

Well i found the clone tool but I have never used it before and have no idea how to use it. The help section isnt much help.
Old 10-09-2008, 10:17 PM   #6
trainboysd40

Send a message via MSN to trainboysd40

Just alt+click a similar area, you'll get it in time.
Obligatory link to shots on RP, HERE
trainboysd40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 11:04 PM   #7
ottergoose
American Gunzel

The clone tool takes one area of your photo and "clones" it into another.

With my software, which may be similar to yours, you right click in the area you want to copy (trees or sky) and then left click in the area you want to cover up (wires, AB(2), etc.). There are some settings that you probably have access to, which will control the size of the clone brush, how opaque it is, etc. You should have it figured out pretty quick if you play with it for a little while. If you hold down the left key, you can use it like a paint brush (right click on the trees, left click and hold and drag across the length of the wire).
Old 10-09-2008, 11:45 PM   #8
Northern Limits

Be sure to duplicate the original first.
I have PSE 4 and have used the "healing brush" on occasion with some success. Just do a small section at a time.
On one picture there was a bright beer can in the water in the immediate foreground. I tried the "healing brush" just to see how it would work. It kept great continuity in the texture of the water surface.

Click Here to view my photos at RailPictures.Net!
Northern Limits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 11:50 PM   #9
Ween

Google>Search>Clone Stamp Tutorials>Read>Try>Practice>Do
Old 10-20-2008, 12:30 AM   #10
a231pacific

Posted by Alan Crotty about a year ago.

Quote:
If you're tired of wires and masts and want an easy way to remove them (not for RailPics of course!) then try this plug-in that I came across the other day.

Wire Pilot is a free plugin and application (for Windows) for retouching wires, posts, antennas and other unwanted linear objects from a photo.

http://www.colorpilot.com/wire.html

Best of all it's FREE and it works too
Remember not to post the result on RP!

Michael Allen
a231pacific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 04:00 AM   #11
woody_k
still learnin'

Sorry for a newbie reply but removing power lines is not allowed on this site?
woody_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 04:49 AM   #12
ottergoose
American Gunzel

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody_k
Sorry for a newbie reply but removing power lines is not allowed on this site?
It is strictly forbidden.
Old 10-27-2008, 01:57 PM   #13
TAMR159

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottergoose
It is strictly forbidden.
What the screeners don't know doesn't hurt them...in other words, do a good enough job so no one notices. If you do a poor job of it, of course it'll be rejected.
TAMR159 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 05:39 PM   #14
Ween

...or do a good enough job but still get caught, expect to be banned.
Old 10-27-2008, 06:39 PM   #15
matth

Talking

Heaven forbid that we actually exploit one of the biggest advantages that digital photography has over traditional film-based processing.

I can understand RP.net wanting to keep a lid on "creative" image editing, but IMHO distracting wires and poles should be fair game to eliminate, especially if it can be done in such a manner as to be virtually undetectible.

I'm sure no one here on this thread has ever perpetrated such a heinous photographic hate crime. Wires and poles have feelings too... Well, maybe not. Q.E.D.

Last edited by matth; 10-27-2008 at 06:42 PM.
matth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 07:24 PM   #16
MDH

Quote:
Originally Posted by matth
Heaven forbid that we actually exploit one of the biggest advantages that digital photography has over traditional film-based processing.

I can understand RP.net wanting to keep a lid on "creative" image editing, but IMHO distracting wires and poles should be fair game to eliminate, especially if it can be done in such a manner as to be virtually undetectible.

I'm sure no one here on this thread has ever perpetrated such a heinous photographic hate crime. Wires and poles have feelings too... Well, maybe not. Q.E.D.
I for one am glad that significant manipulation of reality is generally not allowed. I can see removing a small piece of trash, bird in the sky, or other transient element of a scene but removing a "fixture" of the scene like power lines, trees, buildings or anything more permanent I think is misleading. How would you like seeing a shot, thinking "wow, what a great location" and then spending time & money to visit it and find it cluttered with junk you didn't know was there?

Personally, I haven't bothered with any of that - I barely find time to do basic editing (level,crop,resize,sharpen,etc.) If a location isn't good to start with I just move on to a different one rather than trying to "correct" it in photoshop.

My 2 cents.
Michael
MDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 07:48 PM   #17
ottergoose
American Gunzel

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDH
I for one am glad that significant manipulation of reality is generally not allowed. I can see removing a small piece of trash, bird in the sky, or other transient element of a scene but removing a "fixture" of the scene like power lines, trees, buildings or anything more permanent I think is misleading. How would you like seeing a shot, thinking "wow, what a great location" and then spending time & money to visit it and find it cluttered with junk you didn't know was there?
Then you'd have to learn how to use the clone brush

Then only thing I've ever cloned out has been an annoying branch, powerline, or utility pole - if you could take care of it with a chain saw, you should be able to clone it out, that's my rule of thumb.
Old 10-27-2008, 08:47 PM   #18
matth

Thumbs up

Quote:

Then only thing I've ever cloned out has been an annoying branch, powerline, or utility pole - if you could take care of it with a chain saw, you should be able to clone it out, that's my rule of thumb.
Amen brother!
matth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 10:50 PM   #19
Mike B.
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by matth

The whole reason for RP not allowing this type of manipulation is because when things like this are done, the photograph no longer represents reality. If you want to control everything, you should be a painter, not a photographer.
Mike B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 10:51 PM   #20
Mike B.
Banned

Quote:

My question is if you would actually ever fire the chain saw up? I doubt it...
Old 10-28-2008, 12:43 AM   #21
ottergoose
American Gunzel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike B.
My question is if you would actually ever fire the chain saw up? I doubt it...
A saw is actually on my list of things to get. There are a couple of scenes that would work out much better with a tree or two out of the way. Of course I would never actually cut down a utility pole.

Mike, your point (representing reality) is perfectly valid, and if you don't want to cut out powerlines from your photos, you're more than welcome to include them. I would argue that there are too many shots that just don't work unless there's some clone brush action though.

I've talked to a guy who mentioned that grafitti didn't bother him at all anymore because he'd just Photoshop it out. That's going too far for me - but if he wants to look at a shot that doesn't have any graffiti in it, I suppose I don't really care if he removes it or not - to each his own.

I've read stories about photographers knocking down the occasional tree - has anyone ever run into any repercussions for doing so?
Old 10-28-2008, 01:12 AM   #22
Mike B.
Banned

Quote:
A saw is actually on my list of things to get. There are a couple of scenes that would work out much better with a tree or two out of the way. Of course I would never actually cut down a utility pole.
Then you should include them in your photo, no?

Quote:
Mike, your point (representing reality) is perfectly valid, and if you don't want to cut out powerlines from your photos, you're more than welcome to include them. I would argue that there are too many shots that just don't work unless there's some clone brush action though.
If a shot doesn't work without the clone tool, then it just doesn't work. How do you think people who shoot/shot film got through this?

I'm surprised and somewhat disturbed to learn that you and several others are so blatantly breaking the rules of RP.

Quote:
I've talked to a guy who mentioned that grafitti didn't bother him at all anymore because he'd just Photoshop it out. That's going too far for me - but if he wants to look at a shot that doesn't have any graffiti in it, I suppose I don't really care if he removes it or not - to each his own.

I've read stories about photographers knocking down the occasional tree - has anyone ever run into any repercussions for doing so?
I don't mind graffiti as long as it's not 15 year olds writing cuss words and as long as it's not on the locomotives.

I've cut down a few small trees, but nothing of significant size.
Old 10-28-2008, 01:25 AM   #23
ottergoose
American Gunzel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike B.
Then you should include them in your photo, no?
This shot would have worked out much better had I cloned out the poles, no?

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©

How would that photo suffer if the poles weren't there? They don't contribute to the mood, and unless the shot were used in the preparation of a historical study of power infrastructure in the early 20th century, I don't think anyone's going to be negatively impacted by their loss.

Quote:
I've cut down a few small trees, but nothing of significant size.
You can't do that with a film camera either
Old 10-28-2008, 01:39 AM   #24
Mike B.
Banned

Quote:
This shot would have worked out much better had I cloned out the poles, no?

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©
Of course it would, but it would also be better if you got storm light. If you had added in the storm light that would be a lie to viewer, just as removing the power lines would be.

Quote:
How would that photo suffer if the poles weren't there? They don't contribute to the mood, and unless the shot were used in the preparation of a historical study of power infrastructure in the early 20th century, I don't think anyone's going to be negatively impacted by their loss.
I think we're looking at this hobby in two different ways. You're approaching it more as a form of art, but I think of it as documentation that looks good. I think your primary concern is how the photo looks and that is also a huge concern of mine, but I don't let it get in the way of what the photo represents; reality.

Quote:
You can't do that with a film camera either
Canon digital SLRs come with chain saws..wow. Maybe I should get one...nah.
Old 10-28-2008, 03:05 AM   #25
EMTRailfan

Location: I can be found railfanning the abandoned B&O Northern Sub.

I can't say that I am for cloning (other than dust spots, spec birds, etc.) but if it's your photo, do what you want. RP does have its rules though. I might even give leeway to the 'levitating wire' that doesn't connect to anything in the frame, but if it's attached to a pole, it should stay as well as the pole.

BTW, don't cut down any of MY trees. I might get rich.

Last edited by EMTRailfan; 10-28-2008 at 03:08 AM.
EMTRailfan is offline   Reply With Quote