Old 07-10-2008, 09:12 PM   #26
photogeek88

Send a message via AIM to photogeek88

Something about the lighting in that CSX-CofG shot just doesn't look right, like right near the tunnel.

Last edited by photogeek88; 07-10-2008 at 09:15 PM.
photogeek88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 09:26 PM   #27
Ween

Geez, 5 over/unders. Luckiest guy in the world?
Old 07-10-2008, 09:48 PM   #28
travsirocz

Send a message via AIM to travsirocz

The bottom two are of the same locomotive consist.
travsirocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 10:35 PM   #29
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ween
Geez, 5 over/unders. Luckiest guy in the world?
Well, it WAS 6 before the start of this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by travsirocz
The bottom two are of the same locomotive consist.
Almost 50 minutes between those two shots according to the EXIF data. Is it normal for trains to park on that bridge? I'm guessing he's an engineer or conductor based on some of the other shots in his gallery, so perhaps while his train was parked, he climbed down the embankment and got a couple of shots of passing trains.
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 12:39 AM   #30
bigbassloyd

In the NS calendar, he was listed as a locomotive engineer

Loyd L.

My personal photography site
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 03:24 AM   #31
JBCagle7073
Alpha Phi Psi

Send a message via AIM to JBCagle7073

Quote:
Originally Posted by photogeek88
Something about the lighting in that CSX-CofG shot just doesn't look right, like right near the tunnel.
I agree, and I also find it odd that there are no leaves on the trees on the 22 of May in Georgia. The exif data and photo date match, but what I see doesn't match. The grass is not green and there is no green on the weeds either.

The light on the CSX unit looks like it's high summer sun and the GSW unit appears to be lit at a different angle.

Also notice the exhaust also tails off perfectly to allow the GSW unit to be fully visible with no distortion.
Old 07-11-2008, 03:56 AM   #32
travsirocz

Send a message via AIM to travsirocz

What about the super long passenger train that circled itself?
travsirocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 05:28 AM   #33
John Fladung
JohnFladung.net

Okay, what did (and others) miss?
John Fladung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 05:41 AM   #34
alstom
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Fladung
Okay, what did (and others) miss?
Casey Thomason apparently posted some "photoshopped" shots on RP.net and a couple members found his errors, and reported them to the staff. The five photos on the previous page are examples of what we think may be faked photos. I think the CSX COFC train passing beneath the E or F-Unit looks fake due to the lighting. The CSX unit appears to be in high sun, while the E or F-unit looks to be side-lit. The NS over NS shot also seems somewhat fake. Can't place my finger on a reason, it just seems fake to me. Has that certain appearance. Not sure about the NS 5439 train. He could've just mirrored the image of the 5439 train and photoshopped it onto the bridge. Can't tell to well.
alstom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 06:11 AM   #35
Ken Carr
Senior Member: Vegasrails

Well if they were photoshopped I think Admin gives them one break or warning if it happens again he and his photos go bye-bye. But then you are looking at five or so photos taken over three years. Two would not be accepted now into the system. I leave this alone and let Admin handle this further.

See what I do for fun along the rails and in the desert

See some of my slide shows

Click Here to view my photos at RailPictures.Net!
Ken Carr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 06:15 AM   #36
trainboysd40

Send a message via MSN to trainboysd40

I like this guy's style.
Obligatory link to shots on RP, HERE
trainboysd40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 11:56 AM   #37
JBCagle7073
Alpha Phi Psi

Send a message via AIM to JBCagle7073

Quote:
Originally Posted by travsirocz
What about the super long passenger train that circled itself?
That must have been one gigantic train. There are some things that don't look right, but my eyes went to the one that I could find the most fishy looking things the easiest.
Old 07-11-2008, 12:23 PM   #38
Joe the Photog

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias
I'm guessing he's an engineer or conductor based on some of the other shots in his gallery, so perhaps while his train was parked, he climbed down the embankment and got a couple of shots of passing trains.
He is and he does.

Joe
Old 07-11-2008, 12:31 PM   #39
Joe the Photog

Quote:
Originally Posted by alstom
The NS over NS shot also seems somewhat fake. Can't place my finger on a reason, it just seems fake to me. Has that certain appearance. Not sure about the NS 5439 train. He could've just mirrored the image of the 5439 train and photoshopped it onto the bridge. Can't tell to well.
With all due respect, this comes from someone who asks the forums question every week to get his undersharpened, badly lit wedgies into the database. Now you're a photoshopping expert? Also, "It just looks fake to me." holds absolutely no evidentiary merit whatsoever. Even though one of his shots was taken down -- don't forget the same thing happened to a Mr. Davies, too -- it doesn't mean his other shots fall into the same category.

Remember that when you start calling out photographers, and yeah, I've done it, too, you bring the possibility of having the same eagle eyes examining your own accepted shots.

Joe
Old 07-12-2008, 06:01 PM   #40
SCFrankie

Mr. Thomason is an engineer for Norfolk Southern, I'm sure he could pull the appropriate strings for ideal over/under shots. I'm not sure what the real issue is here (Jealousy? ).

I wouldn't get too fired up over the F-Unit shot, during switching duties it often sat there for a while. Not to mention the fact that the line under it is one of the busiest railroads in Georgia, part of the old AB&C routes. It wouldn't be difficult to get an under/over at that spot.

I believe the shot with the GP9 2391 under the trestle was staged as well. I *think* he was the engineer that day (he was in the cab in some other pics..). It would be easy to wait under the bridge for the second excursion train to pass overhead.

I see nothing wrong here.

Last edited by SCFrankie; 07-12-2008 at 08:18 PM.
SCFrankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 10:54 PM   #41
Carl Becker

Quote:
Originally Posted by alstom
The NS over NS shot also seems somewhat fake. Can't place my finger on a reason, it just seems fake to me. Has that certain appearance.
----------
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	manip.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	3054  
Carl Becker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 11:03 PM   #42
Christopher Muller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Becker
----------
I don't have as good of eye as you.. and I can't read your encrypted dashes.
Christopher Muller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 11:12 PM   #43
SCFrankie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Becker
----------
What are we looking for? It looks a little rough there, but at that zoom level its bound to be low quality and pixelated.

Also, for this picture:

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=206586

to be possible, you would need the excursion train to be 4,000ft.+ in length (impressive for two locomotives and only four passenger cars!!). I believe this was a staged promotional image..so they may have left a car behind for the photoshoot. If not, then it is a fake doctored image - I can safely say that on the basis of being a mathematical impossibility.

The unfortunate thing is with any photographer, if you find a single faked picture, then that sort of "breaks the trust" so to speak.... There's no telling what else could have been faked..

Last edited by SCFrankie; 07-12-2008 at 11:36 PM.
SCFrankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 04:34 PM   #44
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCFrankie
Mr. Thomason is an engineer for Norfolk Southern, I'm sure he could pull the appropriate strings for ideal over/under shots. I'm not sure what the real issue is here (Jealousy? ).

I see nothing wrong here.
I don't think jealousy has anything to do with it. If a person sees an obviously faked image, they are going to say something about it.

The reason you see nothing wrong is because the original faked picture in question has been removed.
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 04:58 PM   #45
Ween

Quote:
The unfortunate thing is with any photographer, if you find a single faked picture, then that sort of "breaks the trust" so to speak.... There's no telling what else could have been faked..
And there's the issue. Once you get caught faking a photo, your stuff is inevitably going to be questioned and scrutinized until the memory fades, even if every other photo is legit.

Lesson reinforced: don't fake your shots and post them to RP as being a representation of reality...
Old 07-13-2008, 09:47 PM   #46
Joe the Photog

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCFrankie
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=206586 I believe this was a staged promotional image..so they may have left a car behind for the photoshoot. If not, then it is a fake doctored image - I can safely say that on the basis of being a mathematical impossibility.
This is the only other picture that did not look right to me, but it makes sense that it was a promo shot. It's bad that he did not mention this in the caption, esp. after the folks commented on his splendid timing, getting the name of the car centered.

I doubt every single over/under shot is faked. I can't tell that any of the others were and since he works for NS, he can set some up or at the very least, cll a fellow egineer or have one call him when there's a chance of one.

Joe