Old 02-23-2008, 04:44 AM   #1
alstom
Banned

Default Need Some Help Understanding 'Blurry'

I just don't see any blur anywhere on these photos. Maybe a little softness in some areas, but I just cannot see the blurriness that they apparently see. Can someone help me with this problem. It is really becoming a pain, and I'd like to know how to avoid this, so as not to keep receiving these rejections. Thanks!

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...d=486636&key=0
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...&key=755282253
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...d=486624&key=0
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...&key=135484315
(I know the above rejection was also given the boot for being a roster shot, but I'd still like someone to point out to me what is blurry in that photo)

Thanks again, in advance.
alstom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 05:58 AM   #2
trainboysd40

Send a message via MSN to trainboysd40

I've told you before,, and I'll tell you again - Get a new camera!
They're blurry...
Obligatory link to shots on RP, HERE
trainboysd40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 06:28 AM   #3
alstom
Banned

Interesting statement, Matt - as acquisition of a Canon Digital Rebel XT is on my agenda for the day. But anyways, I am not so sure it is the camera. I personally see no blurriness whatsoever. Like I said, maybe a little softness in some areas, but not blur. Also, instead of blatantly stating what you think of my camera's quality, can you please point out where it is you see the blurriness? I cannot personally find it. All I think is that they need some sharpening possibly. They are not blurry in my eyes.
Old 02-23-2008, 06:38 AM   #4
SDavey

They do appear a bit blurry, but they could also use a bit more cropping. There is a lot of dead space on your CSX Shots.
SDavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 12:16 PM   #5
JBCagle7073
Alpha Phi Psi

Send a message via AIM to JBCagle7073

I think when you think blurry you are thinking blurred to the point that the image is bad. They lack the crispness ( and as you mentioned sharpness) of a fully focused photo. They come across with a "foggy" appearance. I'm not an expert on Fuji cameras, but it could be caused by the camera trying to lock in the focus. I would also suggest shooting at a higher ISO and fill as much of the frame as possible with the train so that when cropped down you will have a higher quality image. The larger those pixel points are forced to seem the more blurred and grainy the pictures will become.
Old 02-23-2008, 12:31 PM   #6
captadam

Sorry for the off-topic post, but how do you (legally) get to see the Morgan Run Shops? They're a little less than an hour drive from home for me, and I'd love to see some of the stuff they have sitting down there.
captadam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 08:49 PM   #7
alstom
Banned

Thanks for the opinions everybody, I will see what I can do in terms of photography with my Fuji. It is supposed to be a good day for photography tomorrow, and it is looking like I will be railfanning.

To get into the Morgan Run shops, you have to go to the Ohio Central System headquarters in Coshocton, and ask for a release form to sign. It basically states that you can enter any OC property, and you cannot file a lawsuit against them in the event that you were injured. They fax a copy of the release form to Morgan Run from the headquarters and also give you a copy, and then they have Morgan Run open the gate for you. Once at Morgan Run, you can go anywhere you please. Just be sure to let the shop workers know you're there. If with a group of people, you can get permission to shoot locomotives from other locomotives and tour the cabs.

I am also privileged to know the president of Ohio Central personally. He lets me and the other members of the Akron Railroad Club have a little more buoyancy than normal railfans. His name is Jerry Jacobson, interesting guy.
Old 02-23-2008, 09:53 PM   #8
Northern Limits

#1 (and 3) Looks like shallow DoF. Only the lead locomotive looks clear.
As for the other 2: you noted yourself that there are some soft spots. A little more USM maybe?

Is your lens clean?
I used a Sony P&S for a number of shots and to get them sharp took some extra effort.

Click Here to view my photos at RailPictures.Net!
Northern Limits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 11:00 PM   #9
alstom
Banned

Northern Limits, I keep my lens as clean as possible. The minute I see anything on it, I wipe it off quickly. I once messed up a awesome shot because a snowflake landed on my lens. Did it make me mad? Yes! Did I learn my lesson? Yes! So yeah, I keep my lens very clean. I personally think it might be that my censor is wearing out. The camera was three years old when I bought it in 2006. So right now it is pushing five years old. I think an upgrade is necessary.
Old 02-24-2008, 12:37 AM   #10
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by alstom
I personally think it might be that my censor is wearing out. The camera was three years old when I bought it in 2006. So right now it is pushing five years old. I think an upgrade is necessary.
Sensors don't wear out, but one's expectations rise over time as better sensors come into use. Yes, sounds like a camera upgrade is the way to go.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote