Old 05-13-2009, 09:31 PM   #1
Alan

Default Anyone have a Nikon D40 camera?

I'm interested in a Nikon D40 camera. Does anyone have a Nikon D40 and how do you like it?
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 11:23 PM   #2
KevinM

Hi Alan,

I have a D40x (the 10 MP version), so I'll comment.

Pros:

-Lightweight
-Compact
-Does a great job with color

Cons:

- Only 3 focusing points (limits composition)
- No thumbwheel for aperture
- No focusing motor (limits the glass you can use)
- Pictures at ISO 400 and above appear noisy to me

Although I've listed more Cons than Pros, I like the camera and hung onto it as a back-up even though I recently upgraded to a D90.

If you can live with the Cons listed above, I would only suggest that you either find a used D40x or go D60 instead. The only big drawback of the basic D40 is the 6 MP sensor. It will limit how much you can crop your pictures and still have decent resolution. It may seem OK the day you get it, but trust me, you will outgrow it quickly. The D60 is essentially a D40x......a D40 with a 10MP sensor....and a few bells and whistles. The higher res sensor is definitely worth the bucks.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do!

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 02:03 AM   #3
John West
Senior Curmudgeon

I have a D40. It is now a backup to my D90, but while it was my main camera for over a year it did everything I asked of it. I loved how small and light it is. Indeed it took me a long time to convince myself that I needed to spend the money on the D90 (which I really didn't need to but did anyway). I don't really think the 6 MP sensor on the D40 is much of a limitation unless you plan to do a lot of cropping. Probably the biggest problem I had with it was a small buffer which limited the number of shots you could take in a "burst" to maybe three. I think it is a heck of a camera for the money. The kit lens is okay, but if you have additional money to spend consider the 18-200 VR lens.
John West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 04:22 AM   #4
daveedmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by John West View Post
I have a D40. It is now a backup to my D90, but while it was my main camera for over a year it did everything I asked of it. I loved how small and light it is. ... ... I don't really think the 6 MP sensor on the D40 is much of a limitation unless you plan to do a lot of cropping.The kit lens is okay, but if you have additional money to spend consider the 18-200 VR lens.
Agree with all, though I would look at the 55-200 VR as well, as I'd presume you'll get it with the kit 18-55. Depends on your requirements for more light at higher focal length. Also, Nikon have just released a very nice prime 35mm F1.8 fixed focal lenght lens for DX cameras (which will focus with the D40), which is the equiv of a full frame 50mm lens. It's about $200 US / £200 UK.

Can't knock the D40 apart from the 'some lenses won't focus' clause already mentioned.
daveedmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 03:37 PM   #5
Nathan Hall

Send a message via AIM to Nathan Hall Send a message via Yahoo to Nathan Hall

I use the D40, and absolutely love it. I've had it for about 6 months now and it is probably going to remain my primary camera for years. The color of the photos straight out of the camera is great, especially on a sunny day with bright blue sky. It is also a lightweight camera compared to most DSLR's and it is easy to use. Unfortunately, it does not have the aperture wheel separate, as you have to push a button on top of the camera, then spin the wheel used for speed to do it at the same time. It only comes with an 18-55 lens, but it is an absolutely great lens to start with. I'd also look into the 55-200 with I have recently acquired, and is a great addition. If you have any other questions about the D40, please feel free to PM me.

Hope this helps,
Nathan
Nathan Hall is offline   Reply With Quote