Old 07-15-2019, 12:18 PM   #1
Sean Mathews

Default CSX 911 and 1776 - Doomed for Rejection

Hey all... since this image seems doomed for rejection due to the sun and "clutter" I figured I'd at least share it here so it gets seen because I like it.

https://www.railpictures.net/viewrej...81&key=5609295
Old 07-15-2019, 12:48 PM   #2
KevinM

The lighting really doesn't bother me, but the fence is definitely annoying. The docents at the museum are actually pretty nice and have helped me a couple of times in moving fences out of the way temporarily, in order to get an unobstructed shot. It's all a matter of asking for help, particularly when the crowd is light and they could move it for a minute without fear of someone's little kid wandering into a dangerous area.

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 01:54 PM   #3
bigbassloyd

The purples, greens, and noise on the wheels, rails, and the underside of the canopy as a result of over editing is more annoying than the fence to me.

Loyd L.

My personal photography site
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 02:38 PM   #4
KevinM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbassloyd View Post
The purples, greens, and noise on the wheels, rails, and the underside of the canopy as a result of over editing is more annoying than the fence to me.

Loyd L.
Thanks Loyd. I was looking at this on my work laptop, which has a crappy, overly bright screen, but the shadows did look overdone. I just didn't want to comment on that based on a questionable display. If it looks overdone to you as well, then I would second the suggestion that the OP back off on the editing. Yes, we want to see some detail on the dark side, but it can definitely be overdone. Been there, done that, got the T-shirt. In Lightroom, restoring some degree of realism to it can be as simple as backing the shadows down by -5 or -10.

I'm still not a fan of the fence, especially because I've solved the problem at that site, with the consent and assistance of the staff.

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.
Old 07-15-2019, 03:08 PM   #5
bigbassloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM View Post
Thanks Loyd. I was looking at this on my work laptop, which has a crappy, overly bright screen, but the shadows did look overdone. I just didn't want to comment on that based on a questionable display. If it looks overdone to you as well, then I would second the suggestion that the OP back off on the editing.
Nothing hides from my trio of 24 inchers at work.

Quote:
I'm still not a fan of the fence, especially because I've solved the problem at that site, with the consent and assistance of the staff.
I'll probably hate the fence once the shadows are corrected too

Loyd L.

Old 07-16-2019, 02:17 PM   #6
miningcamper1

Quote:

Loyd L.
Yeah, you can find those artifacts if you really, really take a close look at the photo.
Still, I'll take this one over the soft and the leaning photos that have been accepted recently.

RP Photos: www.railpictures.net/miningcamper1/
miningcamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 02:28 PM   #7
bigbassloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by miningcamper1 View Post
Yeah, you can find those artifacts if you really, really take a close look at the photo.
I can almost see them with my eyes closed on both my work and home monitor. It's about as subtle as the 'boned big boy' edit from a few weeks ago.

Quote:
Still, I'll take this one over the soft and the leaning photos that have been accepted recently.
You mean the drone photos right? 90% of them are soft, and leaning (distorted). It used to be that derailments, LTEX (Larry's Truck and Electric), and GAAT (girl around a train) were the biggest problem on here. The bar has fell down considerably.

Loyd L.

Last edited by bigbassloyd; 07-16-2019 at 02:37 PM.
Old 07-16-2019, 03:14 PM   #8
KevinM

Quote:
It used to be that derailments, LTEX (Larry's Truck and Electric), and GAAT (girl around a train) were the biggest problem on here. The bar has fell down considerably.

Loyd L.
I'll take a pretty GAAT over a soft, leaning, "Look mom, I'm flying!" shot any day.

Image © Kevin Madore
PhotoID: 699262
Photograph © Kevin Madore

To me, a drone is like an ultra-wide zoom. Something to have in the bag for specialized situations, not something for every shot you take. Other people's mileage may vary.

My RP stuff is here.

Old 07-16-2019, 10:21 PM   #9
miningcamper1

Quote:
GAAT (girl around a train)
LOL!
That immediately reminded me of Railroad Magazine boss Freeman Hubbard's infatuation with those. Especially by one photographer whose name I don't recall at the moment.

EDIT: Virgil Staff, the pin-up guy!

RP Photos: www.railpictures.net/miningcamper1/

Last edited by miningcamper1; 07-16-2019 at 10:35 PM. Reason: addition
miningcamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 04:23 AM   #10
Decapod401

Quote:
Originally Posted by miningcamper1 View Post
LOL!
That immediately reminded me of Railroad Magazine boss Freeman Hubbard's infatuation with those. Especially by one photographer whose name I don't recall at the moment.

EDIT: Virgil Staff, the pin-up guy!
AKA Virgil Stiff!

My RP Pics are HERE.

I've now got a Flickr. account, too.
Decapod401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 12:44 PM   #11
bigbassloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM View Post
I'll take a pretty GAAT over a soft, leaning, "Look mom, I'm flying!" shot any day.

Image © Kevin Madore
PhotoID: 699262
Photograph © Kevin Madore
I'm in agreement there.

Quote:
To me, a drone is like an ultra-wide zoom. Something to have in the bag for specialized situations, not something for every shot you take. Other people's mileage may vary.
I use mine to document scenes that have historical and / or aesthetic importance and cannot be photographed at an appreciable level from the ground. Thankfully I do not use it nearly as often as my 150-600mm lens

Loyd L.

Old 07-18-2019, 10:56 PM   #12
MassArt Images

Quote:
I'm in agreement there.

I use mine to document scenes that have historical and / or aesthetic importance and cannot be photographed at an appreciable level from the ground. Thankfully I do not use it nearly as often as my 150-600mm lens

Loyd L.
I'm surprised you don't have a bumper sticker on your vehicle that says "I luv my Tammy"

My RP pics are HERE

My website is HERE
MassArt Images is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 11:44 AM   #13
bigbassloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassArt Images View Post
I'm surprised you don't have a bumper sticker on your vehicle that says "I luv my Tammy"
I'd consider marrying it if polygamy were legal here in West Virginia.

Loyd L.