Old 08-11-2008, 12:58 AM   #26
chris crook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ween
You'd probably have to mask the Remarks section too because the photog could always put "Photo by So and So" in there...

Automatic rejection would easily resolve that problem.

As for Knapp's shot, and the wintery CP shot, it looks more like a really lousy, over the top photoshop job than HDR. The compositions are nice though.

Flickr: Armco_block
chris crook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 01:00 AM   #27
PLEzero

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccaranna

Still, as far as the pic, it's OK; I don't normally like overly processed photos. Too fake, kind of like processed cheese. Maybe this phony look is just a fad, kind of like margarine and digital watches.

Also, what's stopping people from creating scenes that didn't really exist but LOOK like they did? That probably already goes on anyway. We (as viewers) pretty much have to trust that the photographer is not pulling a fast one on us no matter what.
Creating a PS fake is a problem on this site. Sometimes, if done properly, if can be very difficult to spot. RP.net has a mission, these kinds of manipulations do not fall in line with that mission. Over the years a few photos have been pointed out as fakes and pulled from the database. All I know is that the planet I live on looks nothing like that and no camera view finder I have ever looked through has make it appear the way it does in Gary's photo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by
Detailed Photo Submission Guidelines

The purpose of our website is to display genuine, authentic photographs of trains and railroad related scenes. Bearing this in mind, digital manipulation of photographs (beyond standard post-processing techniques such as levelling, sharpening, dust removal, etc.) is not permitted on photographs submitted to RailPictures.Net.
My RP.net Photos

Last edited by PLEzero; 08-11-2008 at 01:03 AM.
PLEzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 02:31 AM   #28
Joe the Photog

With two and a half hours left in the day, it's the third most viewed shot behind a hopper car and a shot taken out of the front windshield of a car.

Both good shots, actually.

Joe
Old 08-11-2008, 03:07 AM   #29
Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLEzero
All I know is that the planet I live on looks nothing like that and no camera view finder I have ever looked through has make it appear the way it does in Gary's photo.
Well said. I agree that the 'photo' does not look realistic at all.
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 03:53 AM   #30
Dump The Air

Nobody likes a gimmick.
Dump The Air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 11:35 AM   #31
KevinM

While I'm not experienced enough to spot the specific techniques that Gary uses to create these shots, my take is that they're much more interesting at night than they are during the day. At night, the shots produce a clarity and a depth that is difficult to achieve with conventional photography methods. Despite the oil-painted look, they are visually stunning at night. During the day, I think this style only works in scenes that just never get the kind of lighting it takes to make a sweet picture.....and having never been to the spot depicted in his latest shot, that may be what Gary is trying to do here.

And in general, whenever I see something here that leaves me scratching my head, I just try to remember one thing: It ain't my site!

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 05:42 PM   #32
NSditch
Banned

Is Gary's newest daylight work "over processed"? Yes. However, the more important question is...does it work? In my opinion, the answer is also yes.

As for Matthew Hick's image for Morant's, I do not feel it is "over processed". I feel as though any tinkering he did served to emphasize the dramatic conditions in which the image was captured, and which is so indigenous to the region. I believe it is one of the best images to ever make this site.

Some may disagree, as is their right. However, I am more than happy to disagree over images such as these which have such a bold artistic statement, then some of the recently accepted images which serve to promote generic and novice imagery.

Bravo Gary and Matthew. Bravo.
NSditch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 05:47 PM   #33
JimThias

I'd still love to see the original, out-of-camera image of Matthew's shot just to see if others could process it to look more "real." As Paul stated earlier, there's nothing on this planet that looks like that.

And Matthew, I'm not picking on you as a photographer, because you're one of my favorite on this site.
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 05:56 PM   #34
NSditch
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias
As Paul stated earlier, there's nothing on this planet that looks like that.
Having ridden the head-end over Morants Curve after a severe thunderstorm, I would beg to differ on that one.
Old 08-11-2008, 06:04 PM   #35
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSditch
Having ridden the head-end over Morants Curve after a severe thunderstorm, I would beg to differ on that one.
I guess you're not seeing the same thing that I and others are seeing. It has nothing to do with being there or the landscape or anything like that.
Old 08-11-2008, 06:13 PM   #36
JRMDC

Quote:
Is Gary's newest daylight work "over processed"? Yes. However, the more important question is...does it work? In my opinion, the answer is also yes.

Some may disagree, as is their right. However, I am more than happy to disagree over images such as these which have such a bold artistic statement, then some of the recently accepted images which serve to promote generic and novice imagery.

To extend the discussion, respectfully, what is artistic to you about the Gary shot, what makes it "work." How does stretching reality contribute to what is in this case a standard very wide angle foreground-rocks background-train sort of thing, with what I would call wacko colors?

I can't help but thing of Munch's The Scream or paintings like that. In those cases it works, for me, because it is abstracted from reality. Here, the shot is a reality shot with colors that detract from that dimension without adding anything of value.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 06:21 PM   #37
F40PH271

Although the photo was added more than three and a half years ago, I ran across this one today. I don't know what motivated me to search for the most popular photos taken in Seattle, but this was one of them:

Image © James Guffey
PhotoID: 85972
Photograph © James Guffey
F40PH271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 06:50 PM   #38
PLEzero

Quote:

That is a completely absurd statement. Human eyes just do not see color like that! Sure, it might be nice art but RP.net is not about that kind of art. It is about representing a natural scene. Not something created in the computer after the fact.
My RP.net Photos
Old 08-11-2008, 06:54 PM   #39
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis A. Livesey
This image is arresting and it compels you to look at it.

Image © Gary Knapp
PhotoID: 246101
Photograph © Gary Knapp

It is however, unreal looking suggesting to me that it is heavily processed. I'm therefore surprised it was accepted.

If this is a new era here, that's fine since I have shots that have been rejected that I could re-submit if this is so.

Mind you, just like everyone else here, I'm a big fan of Gary's work. I applaud his ideas and admire his tenacity to get those images.

Have RP's standards changed? Or was it accepted just because of who shot it?

Well, Gary speaks:

Quote:
The scene is depicted accurately as I saw it, no polarizer, a lot of Mother Nature!

I guess that settles it.
Old 08-11-2008, 06:59 PM   #40
PLEzero

Quote:
I guess that settles it.
Except for that whole part you managed to leave out after that statement:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Knapp
! I use the same NIK software filtering here as in night photos.

I can say a lot of things, that does not make them true. I still can't believe people actually think somewhere on this planet the world randomly looks like that. Magical glowing skies and cartoon like beaches and grass. Wake up, people!
My RP.net Photos
Old 08-11-2008, 07:01 PM   #41
River Rails Photography
Banned

Send a message via AIM to River Rails Photography

Quote:
Well, Gary speaks:

I guess that settles it.

Then this raises it.

Quote:
I use the same NIK software filtering here as in night photos. Glad you enjoy the view as much as I did!

And his night photos are often overproccesed.
River Rails Photography is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 07:03 PM   #42
Ween

Quote:
I still can't believe people actually think somewhere on this planet the world randomly looks like that. Magical glowing skies and cartoon like beaches and grass. Wake up, people!
Umm, hello? 'Shrooms. I heard the Canon 5D has a filter that can replicate the effects of a 'Psychedelic Trip.' Duh...
Old 08-11-2008, 07:10 PM   #43
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ween
Umm, hello? 'Shrooms. I heard the Canon 5D has a filter that can replicate the effects of a 'Psychedelic Trip.' Duh...
Hmmm...

< grabs 5D... >

Back in a bit...
Old 08-11-2008, 07:13 PM   #44
Ween

Quote:
Hmmm...

< grabs 5D... >

Back in a bit...
Look in the Menu...it's right next to the "Make Stuff Look Fake" setting. No, wait, it's a sub-folder in that setting...
Old 08-11-2008, 07:22 PM   #45
F40PH271

Quote:
Originally Posted by River Rails Photography
And his night photos are often overproccesed.
Yes. Because that isn't what this thread has been about the whole time. It's been discussed here before and it will be again. Thank you for your input.
F40PH271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 07:37 PM   #46
trainboysd40

Send a message via MSN to trainboysd40

Quote:

As for Matthew Hick's image for Morant's, I do not feel it is "over processed". I feel as though any tinkering he did served to emphasize the dramatic conditions in which the image was captured, and which is so indigenous to the region. I believe it is one of the best images to ever make this site.

You're funny, really funny. Not overprocessed? Even I think so!
Quote:
I'd still love to see the original, out-of-camera image of Matthew's shot just to see if others could process it to look more "real." As Paul stated earlier, there's nothing on this planet that looks like that.

And Matthew, I'm not picking on you as a photographer, because you're one of my favorite on this site.
Thanks for the compliment.
Now, if you REALLY want to see the original...
Here.
It's not hard to see why I submitted the processed version, is it?
Obligatory link to shots on RP, HERE
trainboysd40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 07:45 PM   #47
JimThias

Matthew, I'd do some selective lightening with the original and resubmit. It definitely looks more natural. And even though I've never been to Morant's Curve, I'm gonna take a walk on the wildside and say that the original looks more like reality, contrary to what "NSDitch" has implied.

Quote:
Except for that whole part you managed to leave out after that statement:
Of course, that was intentional, Brad. You DO know I agree with you 100%, right?

Last edited by JimThias; 08-11-2008 at 07:48 PM.
Old 08-12-2008, 01:14 PM   #48
Wizzo

Quote:
The scene is depicted accurately as I saw it, no polarizer, a lot of Mother Nature!
Unquote

As an example of photo art I like it and am curious as to the exact techniques used in post processing.

As to whether it should be on RP - ask the screeners

But.............and please don't take this as an insult Gary because I always make a point of looking at your photos (the night shots are so unlike anything possible in Europe)...........if you see the shot in question as being representative of the actual scene as the camera and your eyes saw it.........please seek out a good optician

Press here to see my pics on railpictures.net

More pics here D1059 on Flickr
Wizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 03:04 PM   #49
NSditch
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC
To extend the discussion, respectfully, what is artistic to you about the Gary shot, what makes it "work." How does stretching reality contribute to what is in this case a standard very wide angle foreground-rocks background-train sort of thing, with what I would call wacko colors?

I can't help but thing of Munch's The Scream or paintings like that. In those cases it works, for me, because it is abstracted from reality. Here, the shot is a reality shot with colors that detract from that dimension without adding anything of value.
Simply stated, perspective is reality. And when I look at that image, it is in line with what generally seems to be Gary's perspective based on his other works.

If you don't like the style...don't shoot or process like that. Simple enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainboysd40
You're funny, really funny. Not overprocessed? Even I think so!
Glad I made you laugh. But you obviously didn't take it as far you could have. That could have gotten really ugly really quick with overkill saturation and contrast adjustments. But it looks good to me. Just my honest opinion.

Of course...you know what they say about opinions...

Quote:
That is a completely absurd statement. Human eyes just do not see color like that! Sure, it might be nice art but RP.net is not about that kind of art. It is about representing a natural scene. Not something created in the computer after the fact.
Art is art, and art is subjective. So to each his own. However, I guess RP.net is also about washed out 3/4 nose shots judging by some of the accepted images as of late.

I'd rather see Gary's art here, than a plethora of novice wedgies.

Last edited by NSditch; 08-12-2008 at 03:09 PM.
Old 08-12-2008, 03:19 PM   #50
Darryl Rule

Well could you provide us with some of your work so we can see what kind of shots should be posted on this site? Your only link is to the NS website, so that doesn't really show your personal work.