Go Back   RailPictures.Net Forums > Railroad Photography Forums > Railroad Photography Forum

View Poll Results: From the list below, which state do you think would be best to get a picture?
Maryland 1 4.55%
West Virginia 5 22.73%
Virginia 2 9.09%
Tennessee 2 9.09%
Arkansas 1 4.55%
Oklahoma 0 0%
Texas 1 4.55%
New Mexico 9 40.91%
Arizona 5 22.73%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-31-2008, 09:15 PM   #26
alstom
Banned

Darryl is right. Not to keep picking on him, but he also needs to toughen up and accept the errors in his photography, and not whine and make websites about his photos when they get rejected. Lets move on.....
alstom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 09:37 PM   #27
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by norfolksouthern
To All Who Are Saying:
This Is Considered Harassment. Talking About Me Like This. Sorry I Mis-spelled Something. Like You Never Mis-spelled A Word Before. Yes I Took A Quote From A Movie. Get Your Head Out Of The Clouds And Watch A Movie That Does Not Involve Trains For Once. For Rejections, I Mean That I Will Not Give My Hopes Up For A Picture Being Accepted.
Why did you capitalize the first letter of each word?
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 09:42 PM   #28
Darryl Rule

I was kinda wondering that too, but figured maybe the first letter of each words spells out some secret message from his hometown.
Old 03-31-2008, 09:42 PM   #29
alstom
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias
Why did you capitalize the first letter of each word?
Jim, you are a funny guy! I was wondering the same thing.

EDIT - Darryl, keep an eye on the code 'TAWASTICHTAMLTSIMSLYNMAWBYITAQFAMGYHOOTCAWAMTDNIT FOFRIMTIWNGMHUFAPBA.'

Also, he still neglected to change his post that made no sense. He said he is not giving his hopes up, but is giving is hopes up (or was it the other way around). In the post Jim quoted of his, he still says he is not giving his hopes up, as opposed to giving his hopes up. I am confused.....

Last edited by alstom; 03-31-2008 at 09:46 PM.
Old 03-31-2008, 10:43 PM   #30
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by alstom
Also, he still neglected to change his post that made no sense. He said he is not giving his hopes up, but is giving is hopes up (or was it the other way around). In the post Jim quoted of his, he still says he is not giving his hopes up, as opposed to giving his hopes up. I am confused.....
Well, Richard, you are also making no sense. Compare the above with your earlier post, quoted below.

Quote:
Darryl is right. Not to keep picking on him, but he also needs to toughen up and accept the errors in his photography, and not whine and make websites about his photos when they get rejected. Lets move on.....

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 10:47 PM   #31
Ben Kopicz
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Ben Kopicz Send a message via MSN to Ben Kopicz Send a message via Yahoo to Ben Kopicz
Red face Ok Ok Ok

Now i am laughing. This is good. I like the message about how each letter in each word is capitalized and it spells something out. The reason they are all in caps at the beginning is i typed it in all caps and i guess they edit it that way and the rest of the word with the exception of the first letter went to lowercase. This is good. OK, yes i realized that the fence was in the way a little. OK i admit it the picture sucked. Is everybody happy? Yes i am railroadlover from the previous user. I know better now that no one takes a joke as a joke. (most likely because of how this freaken world is now and days)

I really did not want to give my hometown away due to the fact of the world we live in now and days.

I am sorry i mis-spell words, i type quick and don't really pay attention to what i type.
I am sorry if i offended anybody in my previous posts, it was not meant.

This is just frustrating that i just can not get pictures up on the site. I mean i had pictures rejected the other day again. Can people here give me advice on how to take really good pictures? Please.
Ben Kopicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 10:51 PM   #32
jdirelan87

PLEASE DONT FEED THE TROLLS
jdirelan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 10:53 PM   #33
alstom
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC
Well, Richard, you are also making no sense. Compare the above with your earlier post, quoted below.
Ah, shucks. What can I say, when I person annoys me to this magnitude, I cannot shut up about it. I seriously will now. I just don't care for the childish mentality he is producing, it is rather troublesome.
Old 03-31-2008, 11:13 PM   #34
Ben Kopicz
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Ben Kopicz Send a message via MSN to Ben Kopicz Send a message via Yahoo to Ben Kopicz

Quote:
Ah, shucks. What can I say, when I person annoys me to this magnitude, I cannot shut up about it. I seriously will now. I just don't care for the childish mentality he is producing, it is rather troublesome.
I am sorry to say right now you are being childish, i said i was sorry and anybody who is mature enough will accept that.
Old 03-31-2008, 11:27 PM   #35
alstom
Banned

Quote:
I am sorry to say right now you are being childish, i said i was sorry and anybody who is mature enough will accept that.
Well, at least I am not roaming around the forums huffing and puffing about not getting photos into the database. I honestly did not read your apology post until after I made mine. I am willing to be on good terms with you. I just got the impression that you were a "troll" so to speak based on your previous thread. So, I am alright now. Sorry.....
Old 03-31-2008, 11:31 PM   #36
JRMDC

Quote:
This is just frustrating that i just can not get pictures up on the site. I mean i had pictures rejected the other day again. Can people here give me advice on how to take really good pictures? Please.
See the new thread. Give me a bit to get it in, I might be interrupted a few times in the early US east coast evening.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 11:43 PM   #37
Ben Kopicz
Banned

Quote:
Well, at least I am not roaming around the forums huffing and puffing about not getting photos into the database. I honestly did not read your apology post until after I made mine. I am willing to be on good terms with you. I just got the impression that you were a "troll" so to speak based on your previous thread. So, I am alright now. Sorry.....
Its cool. You might know how it feels though. I mean, your pictures most likely were not accepted right away. Its just hard to take when i try to get the picture and it is rejected.
Old 03-31-2008, 11:56 PM   #38
alstom
Banned

When I first started, I had a camera thats file format was not acceptable to Railpictures.net. Moving onto a Kodak C300 was hardly any help. The photos seemed to come out soft, dark and sometimes excessively grainy/noisy. My first photo was accepted on the third try. I have been getting them in more and more recently now, as the screeners are becoming used to me. That, or my photos are just generally improving, probably a little of both.

A Kodak Z730 and Fuji FinePix S7000 have been the most successful cameras for me in this website so far. I use Adobe Photoshop Elements 4.0 and 6.0 to edit photos. Here are some general tips that I have learned to use while shooting trains:

-It may be hard as a beginner, but try to not pay attention to the locomotives, well, do pay attention to them, or you may end up a pancake, but keep the location in mind first, then worry more about the locomotives

-Keep the sun in mind, when you go on a railfanning trip, only your back should be sun burnt. Make sure the nose and side of locomotive you are on is lit in the sun. If it is cloudy, get creative or try something unique, anything you may think of.

-If roster shots are your type of thing, take them, just make sure that they are in good lighting, not front-coupled and are well exposed. Roster shots have to be near perfect to be accepted on this website.

-Try to work with signals and other railroad infrastructure that may not exist much longer. You will be grateful that you photographed this material in the future. Other people will enjoy your collection, seeing what was 'there' in the past.

-Invest in the Adobe Photoshop Elements series. I am almost positive that 90% of all customers who buy this series are railfans. It is perfect for brightening train photos, adjusting exposure, cropping, leveling and just about everything else in the book. Granted, it is a bit expensive, but well worth it in the end.

-Referring to my "don't pay so much attention to locomotives" statement, try not to keep locomotive numbers in mind. Keep the location and sun in mind and the composition of the photograph.

-Do not shoot 3/4 wedgie shots all of the time. Try using the rule of thirds. 3/4 wedgie shots are basically, what I describe as a roster shot showing more then just one locomotive. Rule of thirds is basically, divide your photo into three sections, two photo prop sections and one section containing the train.

-Try not to get any foreground clutter in your photos. Weeds, fences, posts, anything that blocks the view of the locomotive in any form is an obstruction, try to avoid it, unless it is something logical such as a bridge pier (spelling*).

Keep practicing. It makes perfect for this website. It took me almost 1 1/2 years to get 28 photos on the database. Try not to complain and enjoy the challenge. I believe (I am not sure though) that you are still in your earlier years, such as me, and have a long road ahead to take better photos. Look at the bright side, and keep trying.

Again, I feel bad now for being rude to you. Don't know what bug bit me in the rear end......

Last edited by alstom; 04-01-2008 at 12:00 AM.
Old 04-01-2008, 02:16 AM   #39
Ben Kopicz
Banned

Wink

Again it is cool. I understand. I was kinda being a jerk too. I am KINDA in my younger years. I am 19. I am most likely going to get alot of pictures on as i move in june. I am moving across Several states and hope to get great pictures there. I am moving from Pennsylvania to Arizona, so i will have lots of chances to get cool pictures. In my opinion the best place to shoot will either be Texas or Arkansas. What is the Communities opinion.

These are the state that i am going through
Maryland
West Virginia
Virginia
Tennessee
Arkansas
Oklahoma
Texas
New Mexico
Arizona
Old 04-01-2008, 02:25 AM   #40
jdirelan87

Quote:
Again it is cool. I understand. I was kinda being a jerk too. I am KINDA in my younger years. I am 19. I am most likely going to get alot of pictures on as i move in june. I am moving across Several states and hope to get great pictures there. I am moving from Pennsylvania to Arizona, so i will have lots of chances to get cool pictures. In my opinion the best place to shoot will either be Texas or Arkansas. What is the Communities opinion.

These are the state that i am going through
Maryland
West Virginia
Virginia
Tennessee
Arkansas
Oklahoma
Texas
New Mexico
Arizona
New Mexico/Arizona.

You would have to really try hard to take a bad picture of the old ATSF main... really really hard.
jdirelan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 02:32 AM   #41
Ben Kopicz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdirelan87
New Mexico/Arizona.

You would have to really try hard to take a bad picture of the old ATSF main... really really hard.
OK THANKS.... i will take pictures all the way down.
Old 04-01-2008, 03:09 AM   #42
PLEzero

Quote:
I am KINDA in my younger years. I am 19.

KINDA old to be making excuses for yourself acting like this, don't you think? Many of us are around your age here on the forums. I think you need to take a step back and think about what you are writing and the way you are writing it before making any more posts. I was expecting your attitude to be coming from someone much younger. Maybe 13 or 14 years old. I would suggest taking a few days off from the forums and reviewing your actions the last few days and come back with a new attitude to learn about your mistakes and learn from the people on the forums how to improve your pictures without the attitude.

(Stepping down from the soapbox)
My RP.net Photos
PLEzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 01:57 PM   #43
Ben Kopicz
Banned

Default Please back off

Listen, i said i was sorry. ACCEPT THAT. anybody that is mature would accept that!!! Yes i admit that i had a bad attitude at first. I DID stop with the attitude. Now its your turn. I AM sorry that i had a bad attitude to start!

TO EVERYBODY

AGAIN I AM SORRY!!!
Old 04-02-2008, 03:58 AM   #44
Ben Kopicz
Banned

Default Night Shots

Could someone tell me how well NIGHT SHOTS come out? I think that that would be pretty cool especially since i live near a railroad with streight track both directions, getting a picture of the train coming, at night. Tell me how cool this will come please.
Old 04-02-2008, 04:16 AM   #45
alstom
Banned

I am assuming that you are referring to streak shots? Those are only capable in DSLR cameras. They are known as 'bulb exposure' shots. Other night shots including well-lit trains that appear to be standing still, though are moving, can be managed with high lighting, such as several flood lights.

If shooting with a point-and-shoot camera, night photography is tricky, if not, impossible. Most point-and-shoot cameras with built-in flash devices are programmed to flash when they sense low light. This ruins the entire shot. It underexposes the train and overexposes the headlights, other various lights and reflective decals on the locomotive/rolling stock.
Old 04-02-2008, 11:10 AM   #46
Joe the Photog

Quote:
Could someone tell me how well NIGHT SHOTS come out? I think that that would be pretty cool especially since i live near a railroad with streight track both directions, getting a picture of the train coming, at night. Tell me how cool this will come please.
Don't bite of more than you can chew. If you're having a hard time with day light shots, night time shots might not be a good idea right now.

Joe
Old 04-02-2008, 11:35 AM   #47
Ben Kopicz
Banned

Quote:
I am assuming that you are referring to streak shots? Those are only capable in DSLR cameras. They are known as 'bulb exposure' shots. Other night shots including well-lit trains that appear to be standing still, though are moving, can be managed with high lighting, such as several flood lights.

If shooting with a point-and-shoot camera, night photography is tricky, if not, impossible. Most point-and-shoot cameras with built-in flash devices are programmed to flash when they sense low light. This ruins the entire shot. It underexposes the train and overexposes the headlights, other various lights and reflective decals on the locomotive/rolling stock.
NO not streak shots. Also i have a point-and-shoot camera where i can shut OFF the flash. My camera does a good job taking moving pictures, my problem is getting a picture where it is good enough for the site. I don't think i would even start to think about doing streak shoots until i have atleast 10 years experince.

Thank You to all who Commented
Old 04-02-2008, 11:41 AM   #48
Ben Kopicz
Banned

Default at least try.

Especially for Me, Night time would be better because I only get off of work at 10:00 or 11:00 the days I get Day shots in is the days I have off. I will try to get a great day shot, but I would love to at least TRY a night shot.

Something strange about me is that I always get the hardest stuff first, before the easiest. I was that way for my whole life... I will keep all the community updated on the forum on how it goes.>>
Old 04-02-2008, 12:40 PM   #49
Joe the Photog

I was taking a series of night time shots last night of a building for a contest I'm entering, non railroad. I shot probably fifty exposures easily of the same exact set up. The night before I shot the same building from another spot and probably shot anothr fifty shots. Moral of the lesson? Keep shooting. Keep tweaking settings. Some shots I was at f4 for a second, others I was at f22 for fifteen seconds or various combonations in between. I generally used ISO 100, but I played around with those settings too.

Have a good tripid. Mine stays in the car with me at all times because the last thing I want to happen is to see a good photo op, have a camera, but no tripod. If you really want to shoot night shots, shoot on manual. I haven't met a camera yet that coulld expose properly for night time by itself. Start with a stationary object, whether it's an engine a depot or even a cut of cars.

Streak shots aren't really that hard, but think about composition first. A shot of a streak going through a frame is not interesting. But a shot of a streak going by a depot or parked train is. You have to time the streaks out though. The prevailing wisdow is to let the streak go through the entire frame, not start half way or finish half way. Same with crossing arms going down. Release the shutter just BEFORE they start going down and don't open the shutter until they're all the way down.

Joe
Old 04-02-2008, 04:22 PM   #50
Ben Kopicz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog
I was taking a series of night time shots last night of a building for a contest I'm entering, non railroad. I shot probably fifty exposures easily of the same exact set up. The night before I shot the same building from another spot and probably shot anothr fifty shots. Moral of the lesson? Keep shooting. Keep tweaking settings. Some shots I was at f4 for a second, others I was at f22 for fifteen seconds or various combonations in between. I generally used ISO 100, but I played around with those settings too.

Have a good tripid. Mine stays in the car with me at all times because the last thing I want to happen is to see a good photo op, have a camera, but no tripod. If you really want to shoot night shots, shoot on manual. I haven't met a camera yet that coulld expose properly for night time by itself. Start with a stationary object, whether it's an engine a depot or even a cut of cars.

Streak shots aren't really that hard, but think about composition first. A shot of a streak going through a frame is not interesting. But a shot of a streak going by a depot or parked train is. You have to time the streaks out though. The prevailing wisdow is to let the streak go through the entire frame, not start half way or finish half way. Same with crossing arms going down. Release the shutter just BEFORE they start going down and don't open the shutter until they're all the way down.

Joe
Ya, i dont really want to do a streak shot quite yet. Like i said, i really dont have time to get great pictures.
I am at School from 7am-4 pm and then at work from 5-11 or later. So i really only have time before school and after work to shot, when the sun really is not up... The picture that i first posted asking why it was rejected(which i now get) was taken around 4:30 on my way to work.