Go Back   RailPictures.Net Forums > Railroad Photography Forums > Railroad Photography Forum

View Poll Results: From the list below, which state do you think would be best to get a picture?
Maryland 1 4.55%
West Virginia 5 22.73%
Virginia 2 9.09%
Tennessee 2 9.09%
Arkansas 1 4.55%
Oklahoma 0 0%
Texas 1 4.55%
New Mexico 9 40.91%
Arizona 5 22.73%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-27-2008, 04:59 PM   #1
Ben Kopicz
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Ben Kopicz Send a message via MSN to Ben Kopicz Send a message via Yahoo to Ben Kopicz
Default Another Rejected...

This one was rejected due to "foreground clutter". WHAT CLUTTER? all there is is a small part of a fence. It was un-avoidable. It stopped so i thought it was a perfect time to snap it quickly. Please tell me what you think.

Thank You
norfolksouthern
Ben Kopicz

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...key=1041543718

P.S. If you like train videos i have some on youtube. Note: I am a beginer w/o a tripod so they are a little shakey, but still good.

www.youtube.com/railroadlover
Ben Kopicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 05:08 PM   #2
Kelly Lynch

It's not so much foreground clutter as the fact that the front of the locomotive is missing from the composition.

Quote:
It was un-avoidable. It stopped so i thought it was a perfect time to snap it quickly. Please tell me what you think.
Typically, these statements acknowledge that the photographer realizes there's something amiss in the photo that is enough to detract from its quality. If you'd taken a few steps back and to the left, could you have gotten the fence out of the photo and gotten the front of the unit in it? If it was stopped, and it was the perfect time to get a picture, it may not have been unavoidable.

More over, this could also get rejected for common power or bad motive or nose in shadow. If this is a local, try and capture it within a local setting; locals may have a little more character than any ol' freight train, and may often have more predictable schedules.

essential film & media production services
www.lynchpinpictures.com
Kelly Lynch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 05:13 PM   #3
Ben Kopicz
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Ben Kopicz Send a message via MSN to Ben Kopicz Send a message via Yahoo to Ben Kopicz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Lynch
It's not so much foreground clutter as the fact that the front of the locomotive is missing from the composition.

Typically, these statements acknowledge that the photographer realizes there's something amiss in the photo that is enough to detract from its quality. If you'd taken a few steps back and to the left, could you have gotten the fence out of the photo and gotten the front of the unit in it? If it was stopped, and it was the perfect time to get a picture, it may not have been unavoidable.

More over, this could also get rejected for common power or bad motive or nose in shadow. If this is a local, try and capture it within a local setting; locals may have a little more character than any ol' freight train, and may often have more predictable schedules.
For those who are saying, yes it is common power, but not a common number, the site has no other locos with that road number
Old 03-27-2008, 05:18 PM   #4
PLEzero

Kelly brings up a good point. Since the train was stopped you should have had enough time to compose the image properly. You essentially already understand what is wrong with the picture... "WHAT CLUTTER?"... to which you said there is 'only' a small fence. That small fence is enough to get the picture rejected.
My RP.net Photos
PLEzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 05:20 PM   #5
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by norfolksouthern
For those who are saying, yes it is common power, but not a common number, the site has no other locos with that road number
Put bluntly, that is not a reason for RP acceptance of an otherwise sub-RP-standard shot. RP is not about getting one shot of every engine out there. It is about having shots of a certain standard, which for roster shots are particularly high (and toward that end, the tree sticking out from the top of the engine is also a problem).

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 06:04 PM   #6
milwman
I shoot what I like

Send a message via Yahoo to milwman

sorry but its not a good shot has 3 things thats off , It was noes cupeled cutting off the front, artifacts , and the fence post. all things that would on there own get it rejected.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22299476@N05/

Last edited by milwman; 03-27-2008 at 06:10 PM.
milwman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 08:22 PM   #7
PLEzero

RP.net is not the correct place to look if you are looking for NS roster shots.

http://nslocos.com/
My RP.net Photos
PLEzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 08:56 PM   #8
ccaranna

Default No roster shots here?

Quote:
RP.net is not the correct place to look if you are looking for NS roster shots.
RP may not seem to be the *correct* place to look, but they take 'em-

Roster Shots:

Properly exposed, non-front coupled roster shots are accepted and welcome. Front coupled roster shots (engine coupled to another engine or cut of cars) are not accepted unless the subject material is rare or unusual.
ccaranna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 08:57 PM   #9
Darryl Rule

Ben, I know this location well, and there are plenty of ways you could have gotten that shot without the fence. Or you could have waited until the train moved and gone to the other side of the crossing and gotten a wide open shot there. The fence and the front of the unit chopped kill the shot.
Old 03-28-2008, 10:29 AM   #10
Switched out

Hi Ben,

When it comes to roster shots they have to be just about perfect to be accepted here. Having the fence in the way and the front of the loco cut off gives it two of three possible rejections for your photo the other being the dreaded back lite no nose light rejection.

Christine.
Switched out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 04:43 AM   #11
Ben Kopicz
Banned

Default given up

Since i Can not get pictures on here,i started my own website to post them for the world to see. I gave my hopes up. I am still going to try to get pictures on, but i will not be peed of if rejected. Please visit the site.

http://www.freewebs.com/railroadlover/

Last edited by norfolksouthern; 03-31-2008 at 01:59 PM. Reason: Rephrased
Old 03-30-2008, 05:06 AM   #12
alstom
Banned

Since none of you gentlemen have yet noticed, this "norfolksouthern" character was on the forums about a month or so ago, in the "Wierd Train" thread. I only misspelled weird because that was the official name of the thread. In that thread, he threatened to kill someone twice, would not release any information and wanted help on finding out what some Union Pacific painted locomotives were, but was being pesky about giving out information. He had been banned, but it appears he is back.

I am positive it is him. His old screen name was "railroadlover." If you look, his freewebs account and Youtube account both contain the username "railroadlover." In his maniacal thread about a month ago, after some back and forth arguing, admitted he is from Temple, PA. Notice that one or more of his Youtube videos are taken at Temple, PA. Lets hope he does not go psycho on us again this time around. We do not need people going and making death threats.

Here is the thread for those who may/may not remember it:
http://forums.railpictures.net/showt...ht=wierd+train

EDIT - Norfolksouthern, your previous post made absolutely no sense. You said you are giving up hope in one sentence, then in the next, you said that you will keep up your hopes. Which will it be....?
alstom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 05:50 AM   #13
Ween

Quote:
We do not need people going and making death threats.
Those were in jest...didn't Top Gun popularize the phrase when talking about something classified, "I could tell you...but then I'd have to kill you." Not to be taken literally, but still...'railroadlover' made a fool of himself...
Old 03-30-2008, 08:02 AM   #14
WKUrailfan

Quote:
i am pretty much giving up hope...but i will not give my hopes up
I don't know whether to laugh or cry.
WKUrailfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 02:15 PM   #15
alstom
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ween
Those were in jest...didn't Top Gun popularize the phrase when talking about something classified, "I could tell you...but then I'd have to kill you." Not to be taken literally, but still...'railroadlover' made a fool of himself...
I understand. But still, the general idea of saying "I'd have to kill you" online is just overall dumb.
Old 03-30-2008, 02:42 PM   #16
Joe the Photog

If those were death threats, then I need to start sleeping with one eye open for fear my wife will actually go through with it.

He just seems to be a kid who doesn't always know how to say what he's trying to say. When we didn't understand him in the other thread, he got fed up and it showed.

Joe
Old 03-31-2008, 12:57 AM   #17
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by alstom
Here is the thread for those who may/may not remember it:
http://forums.railpictures.net/showt...ht=wierd+train
That was a funny thread...good stuff! Oh, and as you can see, I'm still alive even though I was one of the dead ones.
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 03:00 AM   #18
alstom
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog
If those were death threats, then I need to start sleeping with one eye open for fear my wife will actually go through with it.

He just seems to be a kid who doesn't always know how to say what he's trying to say. When we didn't understand him in the other thread, he got fed up and it showed.

Joe
Agreed. I always have to crack a laugh when reading that whole bit about "Norfolk Country" in that thread. That was rather amusing.
Old 03-31-2008, 01:48 PM   #19
Ben Kopicz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ween
Winner

THATS WHERE IT CAME FROM.
people now and days are so freaken chicken.
Old 03-31-2008, 02:02 PM   #20
Ben Kopicz
Banned

Default Peed Off

To All Who Are Saying:
This Is Considered Harassment. Talking About Me Like This. Sorry I Mis-spelled Something. Like You Never Mis-spelled A Word Before. Yes I Took A Quote From A Movie. Get Your Head Out Of The Clouds And Watch A Movie That Does Not Involve Trains For Once. For Rejections, I Mean That I Will Not Give My Hopes Up For A Picture Being Accepted.
Old 03-31-2008, 02:19 PM   #21
JRMDC

Quote:
This Is Considered Harassment.
Actually, you've been treated reasonably in this thread. Somehow, I suspect you will fail to appreciate that.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 02:23 PM   #22
alstom
Banned

Suddenly he goes sarcastic and arrogant.

Alright, what I was saying was, in front of the administrators and such, it is probably not in your best interest to say anything regarding "I am going to kill you" on the forums. Chris Kilroy and Chris Starnes may not take that in gest and may ban you. It is for your own good. It was some constructive criticism, not generic criticism.

Second of all, I am not "chicken." Refer to my last paragraph. Movie line or not, the administrators may not take the humor. Maybe if you were better known to the forums, such as a regular poster, you could say stuff like that without hesitation. You are brand new, saying things like that is probably not in your best interest.

Third, I hardly ever misspell words, because I do actually take time to review my posts before hitting the "submit" button. Using abbreviated words or slang talk is not my way. I am only 14-years-old, and if I can write and type like this, you should be able to also.

Lastly, I do watch movies every other night with my parents. So, before you become so judgmental, consider the facts that you may not know before making, what is a rather ridiculous assumption.

EDIT - Norfolksouthern, I know you will not respond easily to this post, as you are already on a rampage about some simple things I have told you. One last hint of advice, do not make a separate post about everything, please consolidate all messages into one post. It annoys readers and more than likely, the administrators.
Old 03-31-2008, 02:27 PM   #23
jdirelan87

PLEASE DONT FEED THE TROLLS
jdirelan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 08:47 PM   #24
Kelly Lynch

Agreed. I'm pretty sure this thread maxed out its usefulness about fourteen replies ago.

essential film & media production services
www.lynchpinpictures.com
Kelly Lynch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 08:53 PM   #25
Darryl Rule

This thread became useless the minute the original poster hit the first key as he typed.