Go Back   RailPictures.Net Forums > Railroad Photography Forums > Railroad Photography Forum

Old 05-10-2016, 01:55 AM   #51
troy12n
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM View Post
Not sure what kind of camera you are shooting, Troy. Neither of my Nikons will let me change modes inadvertently.
The particular body is a Canon 5D mark 1. The "mode" knob is in a area that takes some deliberate action to change.

Thing is, I use Manual (M) exposure mode 100% of the time, and I used it for a shot earlier in the day, so I can't explain it.

And chimping wouldnt have mattered, the damage was done, I may have caught it before the second location if I had more than about 1 minute to run down to the photo location.

Admittedly, I was guilty of trying to get TOO many locations. And quality suffered. And I regret it... seriously. Lesson learned... missed opportunity I cant get back

Now THAT is the story of my life
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 02:26 AM   #52
KevinM

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy12n View Post
Admittedly, I was guilty of trying to get TOO many locations. And quality suffered. And I regret it... seriously. Lesson learned... missed opportunity I cant get back

Now THAT is the story of my life
How were the crowds and traffic? Did people behave themselves or was it a mad-house? I would love to get some pictures of 611 at speed....all I have is yard stuff from Jim Wrinn's charter last year. I just don't know the routes at all and couldn't manage to find someone who would let me ride with them.

At least one of my friends thinks that there will come a time when 611 has some trackage to operate on that will allow a photo charter. If that happens, I'm all in. Then, we'd have control of so much that is out of control now. I'm hoping that day does materialize.

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 12:31 PM   #53
troy12n
Banned

Quote:
How were the crowds and traffic? Did people behave themselves or was it a mad-house? I would love to get some pictures of 611 at speed....all I have is yard stuff from Jim Wrinn's charter last year. I just don't know the routes at all and couldn't manage to find someone who would let me ride with them.

At least one of my friends thinks that there will come a time when 611 has some trackage to operate on that will allow a photo charter. If that happens, I'm all in. Then, we'd have control of so much that is out of control now. I'm hoping that day does materialize.
There were a lot of people, about what I expected. Everyone was civil from what I saw. Traffic wasnt that bad. Parking at a lot of locations was admittedly bad. But that happens when you have that many people trying to park on the side of a narrow 1 lane road. Out on 460, it's a 4 lane divided highway and it was fine.

The most jacked up parking situation I saw was Shawsville. Vicker was a close second. Montgomery was pretty bad too, and I only went there Sunday, I heard it was the worst on Saturday.

Supposedly a couple of the residents got pissed off about people. I say they can deal with it. This happens once a year. As a homeowner, I understand not wanting to be inconvenienced, but I can get over it if it's something that happens maybe once a year.

Don't worry, the other 364 days a year, there's no one that can hear you getting it on hot and heavy with your sister in the back of the barn...

Last edited by troy12n; 05-10-2016 at 12:34 PM.
Old 05-10-2016, 12:43 PM   #54
Noct Foamer

Quote:
Not sure what kind of camera you are shooting, Troy. Neither of my Nikons will let me change modes inadvertently.

My problem is I use the same camera for two kinds of photography. For night use, I'm in manual mode with shutter set to sync and AF off. For daytime I use aperture priority, with AF on. While I haven't screwed up any night shots (it's pretty apparent when exposure isn't correct during my test shots,) I have forgotten to turn on AF, which means I sometimes lose daytime shots to poor focus. I've gotten into the habit of checking settings every time I take the camera out of the bag. Shooting both at night and also using large format (4x5) instills a much needed discipline in me. Miss one step with that kind of shooting and it's a long drive home empty handed.

Kent in SD
Noct Foamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 03:31 PM   #55
RobJor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noct Foamer View Post
My problem is I use the same camera for two kinds of photography. For night use, I'm in manual mode with shutter set to sync and AF off. For daytime I use aperture priority, with AF on. While I haven't screwed up any night shots (it's pretty apparent when exposure isn't correct during my test shots,) I have forgotten to turn on AF, which means I sometimes lose daytime shots to poor focus. I've gotten into the habit of checking settings every time I take the camera out of the bag. Shooting both at night and also using large format (4x5) instills a much needed discipline in me. Miss one step with that kind of shooting and it's a long drive home empty handed.

Kent in SD
D90(former camera) was very easy to change as the mode knob had no lock. However it when it changed on me it went to a scene mode and the result was not bad. Like kent, at night the auto focus is off, ISO up MF and sometimes bracketing.
One time I had change everything back and was on auto and it didn't dawn on me why I would see the exposure setting change with each shot. I know the brkt shows up in the viewfinder but .. it was only .7 stop so the results were actually OK.

Bob
RobJor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 11:28 PM   #56
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy12n View Post
The particular body is a Canon 5D mark 1. The "mode" knob is in a area that takes some deliberate action to change.
I've had the same thing happen with my old 5D. Nothing is worse than jumping out of the car to get a quick shot only to discover as you press the shutter button that the camera is in bulb mode. And there goes the train before you can recover.

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 12:03 AM   #57
Noct Foamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias View Post
Nothing is worse than jumping out of the car to get a quick shot only to discover as you press the shutter button that the camera is in bulb mode. And there goes the train before you can recover.

That would be the worst!

Kent in SD
Old 05-11-2016, 01:04 AM   #58
JimThias

Quote:
That would be the worst!
That damn original 5D didn't have a locking mode dial. Easy to bump it into other modes without noticing.

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
Old 05-11-2016, 01:57 AM   #59
Mgoldman

Quote:
That would be the worst!

Kent in SD
Leaving the camera in "self timer" mode. Ugh!!!
Why on Earth doesn't turning the camera off reset that feature?!?!

As for Canon - there's a lock sliding switch on the back of the camera - can't imagine what it's for, other then to make you think your camera broke after the last time you used it. Everything works except the aperture dial.

/Mitch
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 02:52 AM   #60
troy12n
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgoldman View Post

As for Canon - there's a lock sliding switch on the back of the camera - can't imagine what it's for, other then to make you think your camera broke after the last time you used it. Everything works except the aperture dial.

/Mitch
Yeah, that one has gotten me before too...
Old 05-12-2016, 04:04 PM   #61
conrail1990

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgoldman View Post
Never had this problem with my Nikon!
conrail1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 09:06 PM   #62
Noct Foamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by conrail1990 View Post
Never had this problem with my Nikon!
My Nikon does not reset self timer (D800E.) I use it often for night shots. I get everything set up, push the button, and run out to the tracks wearing a shiny reflective vest, and face the camera. The idea is I can check to see if I need to dial down the exposure because of hot spots. More than once I was tired and forgot to switch off the timer mode. I learned pretty fast though. Quae nocent docent!

Kent in SD
Old 05-12-2016, 09:55 PM   #63
bigbassloyd

It was the biggest pain in the ass nerve destroying trip I've ever done. And just being at Blue Ridge and Shawsville to experience it was totally worth it.

I scrapped my previous plans to stay solo because a lot of my friends were doing it as a group, and I joined them instead. Came away from it with several good photos (not gonna post them here, but trust me.. yummy ), and memories to last a lifetime.

Loyd L.

My personal photography site
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 11:17 PM   #64
Noct Foamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbassloyd View Post
It was the biggest pain in the ass nerve destroying trip I've ever done. And just being at Blue Ridge and Shawsville to experience it was totally worth it.
Often the memories are better than the photos. I have memories of chasing the UP 3985 down in Kansas one winter with my dad. The photo were so-so.

Kent in SD
Old 05-13-2016, 01:19 AM   #65
conrail1990

Quote:
My Nikon does not reset self timer (D800E.) I use it often for night shots. I get everything set up, push the button, and run out to the tracks wearing a shiny reflective vest, and face the camera. The idea is I can check to see if I need to dial down the exposure because of hot spots. More than once I was tired and forgot to switch off the timer mode. I learned pretty fast though. Quae nocent docent!

Kent in SD
It probably just comes down to programming. My D90 resets back to multiple burst when its turned off then back on.
conrail1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 03:46 AM   #66
Noct Foamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by conrail1990 View Post
It probably just comes down to programming. My D90 resets back to multiple burst when its turned off then back on.

D800E has a mechanical dial that you select mode from--single, continuous low, continuous high, self timer, mirror lock up. You have to depress a locking button and physically turn the dial.

Kent in SD
Old 05-13-2016, 05:35 PM   #67
Ron Flanary

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC View Post
Based on the many, many shots I've seen of yours, I am tempted to say LIAR !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'll be happy to sell you a shoe box of bad slides---or two, or three boxes. We can discuss price and shipping costs. I usually sell 'em by the pound.

On a more serious note, I would say the best photographers in this field probably would agree that no more than 25 percent of their lifetime body of work is "good to excellent." It's like shooting at flying birds----you tend to miss more than you hit.

Last edited by Ron Flanary; 05-13-2016 at 05:37 PM.
Ron Flanary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 06:22 PM   #68
Freericks
Met Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Flanary View Post
I'll be happy to sell you a shoe box of bad slides---or two, or three boxes. We can discuss price and shipping costs. I usually sell 'em by the pound.

On a more serious note, I would say the best photographers in this field probably would agree that no more than 25 percent of their lifetime body of work is "good to excellent." It's like shooting at flying birds----you tend to miss more than you hit.
I would guess the number is closer to 10 percent. Much of what I've read in self-analysis by photographers, that one out of ten comment comes up a lot.
Freericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 06:38 PM   #69
JRMDC

Quote:
I could buy them, create a new RP account as Not_good_enough_for_Ron_Flanary, and upload! I'm sure another 10% would get through.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 06:51 PM   #70
miningcamper1

Quote:
I would say the best photographers in this field probably would agree that no more than 25 percent of their lifetime body of work is "good to excellent."
Do roster and "I was there" shots count as body of work?

RP Photos: www.railpictures.net/miningcamper1/
miningcamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 02:28 AM   #71
Ron Flanary

Quote:
Originally Posted by miningcamper1 View Post
Do roster and "I was there" shots count as body of work?
Whatever came back from the processor (if it was a slide), or what you still have on your computer or hard drives---good and bad.

I don't throw anything away. I keep waiting for miracles to happen to some of my shots from 40 years ago---hoping the through some act from above, they'll be transformed into something fantastic.

One can always hope....
Ron Flanary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 11:50 AM   #72
miningcamper1

Quote:
Whatever came back from the processor (if it was a slide), or what you still have on your computer or hard drives---good and bad.

I don't throw anything away. I keep waiting for miracles to happen to some of my shots from 40 years ago---hoping the through some act from above, they'll be transformed into something fantastic.

One can always hope....
An oversized yellow box back from Kodak was always a bad omen- something went wrong and the film was returned unmounted.

RP Photos: www.railpictures.net/miningcamper1/
miningcamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 05:07 PM   #73
Freericks
Met Fan

Quote:
An oversized yellow box back from Kodak was always a bad omen- something went wrong and the film was returned unmounted.
Thanks for that memory. You just made me anxious and nauseous at the same time.
Freericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 07:08 PM   #74
Decapod401

Quote:

One can always hope....
Me, too. I'm still waiting for Adobe to add the extreme under/overexpose compensator, and the blur eraser feature.

Quote:
I had a one or two of those, but the worst was a roll of the UP around Green River Wyoming that arrived properly packaged, but magically transformed into 36 slides of a Chinese family celebration.
Decapod401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 10:54 PM   #75
JimThias

Quote:
Part of me is glad that I have no idea what this means, but the other part of me is very sad for never finding out when I was younger.