Old 11-19-2010, 02:43 AM   #51
asis80

Send a message via AIM to asis80

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntD. View Post
Not to get crap started, but must we go through the list of shots that were more than likely taken while tresspassing that are on the site? There's plenty! IMHO the whole PEQ for 'Tresspassing' is a bunch of BS.

ANYWAYS, the photo, well first off the whole PEQ rejection makes it a hell of a lot harder to know what the screener himself didn't like about the photo. IMO, IF (and I do not know if this is possible since I'm not familar with the Ops over that way) but if you really wanted to emphasize the "abandoned" aspect I would've perferred a train coming down the 'old main' and crossing over to the new main on the crossover seen in the shot. (Once again IF possible) and shooting to where it looked like the train was coming towards the end of the old Main....Get what I'm trying to say? LOL It's the best I could do considering its a little late for me to be putting thoughts together

Let's see the shots you know I got by trespassing.

Ben
Old 11-19-2010, 03:02 AM   #52
coborn35

I dont see how I played dumb Joe. I posted shots that were clearly trespassing, yet still on the site, and Ben obviously didn't think to read the thread, because I would love to know how you think your argument stands up to those photos.

Peter and Daniel completely missed my point. Yes I understood, and I still think its a lame excuse based on other photos accepted here.
I personally have had a problem with those trying to tell us to turn railroad photography into an "art form." It's fine for them to do so, I welcome it in fact, but what I do have a problem with is that the practitioners of the more "arty" shots, I have found, tend to look down their nose's at others who are shooting more "mundane" shots.
Railroad photography is what you make of it, but one way is not "better" than another, IMHO. Unless you have a pole right thought the nose of the engine! -SG
coborn35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 04:11 AM   #53
Joe the Photog

Now you're playing the "that shot got accepted, therefore mine should, too" card. Some folks play it with cloudy/common or night time shots. It never holds water. Even if every one of the shots you linked were the result of trespassing, it doesn't affect your shot one way.

I remember conversations about some of the shots where the photog had permission to be there. In at least one case, the guy works for the railroad. In James Guffey's case, I'm guessing he was either at a grade crossing or he had permission from emergency crews on scene to be there as the train is obviously stopped.
Old 11-19-2010, 04:26 AM   #54
coborn35

No Joe, im simply saying thats not a valid reason to reject mine.

Joe, seriously man, are you joking right now? Have you not read the things said in this thread? It blows my mind that people can be so ignorant. As was pointed out to me by Peter and Daniel numerous times, the argument has been that it doesn't matter if I was trespassing or not, merely the matter of if it looked like I was or not. So I posted plenty of examples of shots that clearly looked as if the photog was trespassing, that are still on this site. Doesn't matter if they had permission or not.
I personally have had a problem with those trying to tell us to turn railroad photography into an "art form." It's fine for them to do so, I welcome it in fact, but what I do have a problem with is that the practitioners of the more "arty" shots, I have found, tend to look down their nose's at others who are shooting more "mundane" shots.
Railroad photography is what you make of it, but one way is not "better" than another, IMHO. Unless you have a pole right thought the nose of the engine! -SG
Old 11-19-2010, 04:42 AM   #55
coborn35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Kilroy View Post
Given the angle, you were either sitting or laying on what is very clearly railroad property (even if the rails are cut). That is the (only) reason I PEQ'd it.
But yet a fellow screener...
Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©
Old 11-19-2010, 07:47 AM   #56
stevenmwelch

Send a message via AIM to stevenmwelch Send a message via Yahoo to stevenmwelch

Quote:
Originally Posted by coborn35 View Post
Steven Welch likes this.
My Photos on RP
My RP Rejects and then Some
stevenmwelch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 08:15 AM   #57
milwman
I shoot what I like

Send a message via Yahoo to milwman

Everyone trespasses if your 25 to 50' from the ROW and crossing's you are too as it's only legal if you're crossing, Standing or stopping on them to shoot is not legal if push comes to shove. I know one town in Indiana east of Porter that plays that card. So RP want's you to not stand on the rail or in gage. Some will let you others screeners not.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22299476@N05/
milwman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 11:02 AM   #58
asis80

Quote:
Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©
You're right....it's just you. They're out to get you.....

Ben
Old 11-19-2010, 01:39 PM   #59
Joe the Photog

Right after I posted that it doesn't affect his shot's status if he finds other shots in the database that were taken while on property, he then posts more shots from the database that were taken on railroad property. You're the one not getting it, Max. If I get a shot rejected for Bad Cropping and then go find ten shots in the database with the same exact cropping, that doesn't prove anything about MY shot.

And about permission, if someone has permission to be somewhere, then they aren't trespassing if the person giving the permission has the right to do so.
Old 11-19-2010, 03:32 PM   #60
crazytiger

Max, I was trying to say exactly what Chris K. is and I'm not shifting advocacy or anything. That is exactly what I meant. If you go back and read my post. That was what I was saying. Same thing that Chris said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazytiger
The thing I don't get, Max, is the fact that whether the tracks extend or not, you're still on RR property. RR property isn't just between the gauge, it goes a lot farther. And from the vantage point given, the tracks end but the ROW doesn't, sure as heck. My understanding is that the ROW goes 25 feet either side of the tracks, however, they only care about the first 10 feet or so.
BTW, I'm still not exactly sure what you're even accusing me of.

EDIT: After reading the thread, I think I understand what Daniel was saying, but its not what I'm saying. Daniel thinks that even if you were 100% legitly not trespassing, it would still get rejected because it looks like you are. This has been empirically proven wrong. My point is entirely different. In one sentence, the rails may end, but the ROW does not. Given the shot, you were on the ROW and you have never even tried to say there was a grade crossing/whatever. I don't agree with Daniel, I'm with Chris.

Canon EOS 40D
Canon EF 50 f/1.8 II
Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM
Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Friend
everytime i see non-train photos of yours i think, "so much talent. wasted on trains."

Last edited by crazytiger; 11-19-2010 at 05:27 PM.
crazytiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 07:40 PM   #61
coborn35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
Right after I posted that it doesn't affect his shot's status if he finds other shots in the database that were taken while on property, he then posts more shots from the database that were taken on railroad property. You're the one not getting it, Max. If I get a shot rejected for Bad Cropping and then go find ten shots in the database with the same exact cropping, that doesn't prove anything about MY shot.

And about permission, if someone has permission to be somewhere, then they aren't trespassing if the person giving the permission has the right to do so.
NO NO NO! Why are you talking about bad cropping? That is totally different from what we are talking about Joe. Really? Read the damn thread.

FACT= Chris Kilroy said "Given the angle, you were either sitting or laying on what is very clearly railroad property (even if the rails are cut). That is the (only) reason I PEQ'd it."

That leads one to believe that any shots where it looks like they are on RR Property get PEQ'd. I then went and posted many shots showing that while he may say one thing, there are clearly shots that are trespassing accepted all the time, even by a fellow screener.

FACT= Everyone on here keeps telling me that it doest matter IF I am trespassing, only if it LOOKS like I am trespassing, they do not want to portray that on their site.
This is the part Joe fails to grasp. Cropping is a subjective standard, it can change. However a standard about something that LOOKS like trespassing is not, you cannot allow one shot on where someone is between the rails, but reject another for the same reason.
It would be like RP rejecting photos of green engines. Peter submits one, and it gets in. Joe submits one with a green engine in the background and it gets PEQ for a green engine, and everyone on here tells Joe RP does not want pictures representing green engines. You cannot tell me you wouldn't call BS by looking at Peters picture.

Then we have Ben trying to come in and grab some laughs and be funny, while in reality I had just proved this statement by him wrong.
"Plain and simple, they don't want to portray someone in the gauge."
Gee, it sure looks otherwise to me.

Its not about my shot, just forget it. Its about people on here not grasping simple things. I dont get how anyone can continue to tell me that RP doesnt want shots that look like they are trespassing, when I have clearly posted examples.
Old 11-19-2010, 07:47 PM   #62
coborn35

For the record, this is where I was. I was on the right side of this path:
Image © Scott Carney
PhotoID: 265455
Photograph © Scott Carney
Old 11-19-2010, 08:07 PM   #63
troy12n
Banned

Quote:
For the record, this is where I was. I was on the right side of this path:
Image © Scott Carney
PhotoID: 265455
Photograph © Scott Carney
You mean right in the middle of the right of way??

Give it up dude... you really are making yourself look more stupid with each post, which I didnt think was possible...
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 08:09 PM   #64
coborn35

No closer to the tracks than most photographers.
How do I look stupid Troy? Like honestly I am baffled! How do you not see what I am saying?
Old 11-19-2010, 08:13 PM   #65
Holloran Grade
Banned

Lightbulb From Confusion - Often Comes Unintended Clarity.

Quote:
...[portion omitted in order to obfuscate the original meaning of the quoted text]...... Its about people on here not grasping simple things. ...[remainder omitted]...
Wow, that is profound.

I think every argument can be broken to down to that basic point from at least one of the parties point of view.

I only bring this up because I think the original topic of this thread has long since become a moot point and the discussion seems to be loosing steam, however it is so dang entertaining and I am just not ready to sit back and watch it die.

That said, please continue.......

Last edited by Holloran Grade; 11-19-2010 at 08:34 PM.
Holloran Grade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 08:16 PM   #66
troy12n
Banned

Quote:
No closer to the tracks than most photographers.
How do I look stupid Troy? Like honestly I am baffled! How do you not see what I am saying?
You are the only one who apparently sees your viewpoint
Old 11-19-2010, 08:22 PM   #67
Mgoldman

Ah - the one response that addresses two issues!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Kilroy
Given the angle, you were either sitting or laying on what is very clearly railroad property (even if the rails are cut). That is the (only) reason I PEQ'd it.
Why not simply say so? Or add a new rejection reason. Seems there are several rejections which are never used and several more that would benefit RP by inclusion. Without saying so, you have patrons trying to fix an unfixable problem (with a specific image). Or worse - if it is an otherwise "great shot" then you have patrons misreading screeners objections.

Quote:
Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©
It is safe to assume that some images simply slip through - and often. It could be one screeners tolerance compared to another, or even the same screener in a different mood from day to day. Never the less, I think the site may benefit from some simple, yet breakable rules. Perhaps the site is just right in that respect, but these examples are bound to frustrate those who feel they deal with a seperate set of rules.

/Mitch
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 08:42 PM   #68
Soo 6060
EMD > GE

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazytiger View Post
EDIT: After reading the thread, I think I understand what Daniel was saying, but its not what I'm saying. Daniel thinks that even if you were 100% legitly not trespassing, it would still get rejected because it looks like you are. This has been empirically proven wrong. My point is entirely different. In one sentence, the rails may end, but the ROW does not. Given the shot, you were on the ROW and you have never even tried to say there was a grade crossing/whatever. I don't agree with Daniel, I'm with Chris.
After reading everything over, I agree with Mr. Kilroy as well.
Soo 6060 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 08:43 PM   #69
Soo 6060
EMD > GE

You realize that people can and do get permission to be places, right?

Quote:
Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©
Soo 6060 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 08:56 PM   #70
Holloran Grade
Banned

Lightbulb Hard Decisions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soo 6060 View Post
After reading everything over, I agree with Mr. Kilroy as well.
Ya, that is probably a good conclusion to come to since it is his Web Site.

Another conclusion that I have determined based on this thread:

Troy12n: "Thinks most things are stupid."

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy12n View Post
...[omitted]...Give it up dude... you really are making yourself look more stupid with each post, which I didnt think was possible... ...[omitted]...

Last edited by Holloran Grade; 11-19-2010 at 08:59 PM.
Old 11-19-2010, 09:04 PM   #71
troy12n
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holloran Grade View Post
Another conclusion that I have determined based on this thread:

Troy12n: "Thinks most things are stupid."
Not "most things", just most things Coborn says...
Old 11-19-2010, 09:07 PM   #72
Holloran Grade
Banned

Wink

Quote:
Not "most things", just most things Coborn says...
LOL!

I guess ya'all will just have to settle it with a dance off.
Old 11-19-2010, 09:09 PM   #73
troy12n
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holloran Grade View Post
LOL!

I guess ya'all will just have to settle it with a dance off.
LoL, that was pretty good... a zoolander reference
Old 11-19-2010, 09:12 PM   #74
Holloran Grade
Banned

Quote:
LoL, that was pretty good... a zoolander reference
My first response was a "Vogue Off" as in with Mike Myers as Dieter, but I thought that would be too esoteric and dated for the crowd here.
Old 11-19-2010, 10:10 PM   #75
asis80

Quote:

Then we have Ben trying to come in and grab some laughs and be funny, while in reality I had just proved this statement by him wrong.
"Plain and simple, they don't want to portray someone in the gauge."
Gee, it sure looks otherwise to me.

Its not about my shot, just forget it. Its about people on here not grasping simple things. I dont get how anyone can continue to tell me that RP doesnt want shots that look like they are trespassing, when I have clearly posted examples.
Like I said, it's a plot against your shot. You are on the red flag list and they just don't like you. Basically.

Ben