Old 11-18-2010, 12:32 AM   #1
coborn35

Default Anybody like this PEQ?

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...d=877148&key=0
Tried to show the new Missabe with the old torn up mainline.
I personally have had a problem with those trying to tell us to turn railroad photography into an "art form." It's fine for them to do so, I welcome it in fact, but what I do have a problem with is that the practitioners of the more "arty" shots, I have found, tend to look down their nose's at others who are shooting more "mundane" shots.
Railroad photography is what you make of it, but one way is not "better" than another, IMHO. Unless you have a pole right thought the nose of the engine! -SG
coborn35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 12:36 AM   #2
stlgevo51

I would think that you got that reject because the screeners thought that you were trespassing. Did you leave them any comment in the "comments to screeners" box explaining why you were not trespassing?

Does anyone else think that the PEQ reject should not be used to reject trespassing shots? I think that they should create a "trespassing" reject. It would make thinks much clearer.
Youtube Videos
stlgevo51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 12:42 AM   #3
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by coborn35 View Post
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...d=877148&key=0
Tried to show the new Missabe with the old torn up mainline.
Might help if the mainline actually looked torn up; the gap in the rail is barely evident. So the shot looks like one where you chose to make the central point be a blank dirt/taconite space and put a train above that in the frame. The foreground is too dull and so too big.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 01:04 AM   #4
coborn35

I mentioned I wasnt. I see Januz, i have some other angles.
I personally have had a problem with those trying to tell us to turn railroad photography into an "art form." It's fine for them to do so, I welcome it in fact, but what I do have a problem with is that the practitioners of the more "arty" shots, I have found, tend to look down their nose's at others who are shooting more "mundane" shots.
Railroad photography is what you make of it, but one way is not "better" than another, IMHO. Unless you have a pole right thought the nose of the engine! -SG
Old 11-18-2010, 02:04 AM   #5
Joe the Photog

Were you on the tracks?
Old 11-18-2010, 02:06 AM   #6
coborn35

There are no tracks there, hence the caption.
Old 11-18-2010, 02:09 AM   #7
asis80

Send a message via AIM to asis80

Let's put this "technical" crap aside, whether you technically were or weren't between the gauge and/or on the tracks, this shot gives the illusion you are standing between the gauge. Hence the PEQ.

Ben
Old 11-18-2010, 02:10 AM   #8
troy12n
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by asis80 View Post
Let's put this "technical" crap aside, whether you technically were or weren't between the gauge and/or on the tracks, this shot gives the illusion you are standing between the gauge. Hence the PEQ.
I dunno, I think it got the PEQ because it's uninteresting foreground. It highlights some dirt. The only reason you would know it is abandoned is becuase of the description, the picture barely shows this (unconnected rail).

I dont know what it is about you people up in that part of the world that think taconite pellots are so interesting.
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 02:12 AM   #9
Joe the Photog

Quote:
There are no tracks there, hence the caption.
All right then smarty pants, were on the road bed? Were you on private property?
Old 11-18-2010, 02:17 AM   #10
troy12n
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
All right then smarty pants, were on the road bed? Were you on private property?
Isnt this the same guy who called me out for trespassing last week when I clearly wasnt?

How ironic...
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 02:52 AM   #11
coborn35

Not ironic, because I wasn't trespassing, and not a smarty pants, simply reading the caption and thread would have told you I wasn't, and had told the screeners that.

Troy, You have never been here, so you have never experienced a loaded taconite train.
Old 11-18-2010, 03:07 AM   #12
JimThias

Can you circle the taconite pellets along the old mainline so we know what to look for? All I see is ballast.

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 03:11 AM   #13
stevenmwelch

Send a message via AIM to stevenmwelch Send a message via Yahoo to stevenmwelch

Quote:
Troy, You have never been here, so you have never experienced a loaded taconite train.
I have a bag full of taconite pellets in my glovebox, them trains are cool!
My Photos on RP
My RP Rejects and then Some
stevenmwelch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 03:14 AM   #14
coborn35

Jim, you may need some new glasses!
Old 11-18-2010, 03:19 AM   #15
asis80

Send a message via AIM to asis80

Like I said, doesn't matter if you weren't trespassing, doesn't matter if you tell us that, doesn't matter if you tell the screeners that. The image looks like you are in the gauge and they don't want that portrayed on the site.

Ben
Old 11-18-2010, 03:25 AM   #16
coborn35

Thats not true at all Ben, come on now. If you don't like the image, thats fine, i'm big boy, I can take criticism, but don't make up lame excuses.

Last edited by coborn35; 11-18-2010 at 03:28 AM.
Old 11-18-2010, 03:32 AM   #17
Joe the Photog

Then why do you think they gave it PEQ?
Old 11-18-2010, 03:32 AM   #18
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias View Post
Can you circle the taconite pellets along the old mainline so we know what to look for? All I see is ballast.
Jim, below the thin shadow spanning the old mainline there are two distinct zones. The top zone looks to be mostly dirt but if you look closely you will see a scattering of small round balls, about the same color as the dirt. Them are them.

In the lower zone I mostly see stones/pebbles (that is what they used for ballast back then?) but amongst the ballast, especially in the center, right down on the lower edge, smaller reddish balls can be seen. Them are them.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 11-18-2010, 03:34 AM   #19
JRMDC

I'm not a screener, but I'm guessing, that if the issue had been the awkwardly large foreground, the rejection would have been composition/balance, or maybe bad cropping. So I suspect trespassing. Hard to PEQ a wedgie otherwise.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 11-18-2010, 03:34 AM   #20
Soo 6060
EMD > GE

Quote:
Originally Posted by asis80 View Post
Like I said, doesn't matter if you weren't trespassing, doesn't matter if you tell us that, doesn't matter if you tell the screeners that. The image looks like you are in the gauge and they don't want that portrayed on the site.
Ben
He is saying that no matter what you tell us, it doesn't matter. Sure, you may have not been on the private right of way, but the angle the picture was shot at makes it appear as if you were. Because of this, RP does not want the shot on the database.

Quote:
but don't make up lame excuses.
Soo 6060 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 03:35 AM   #21
coborn35

Joe H= They must not have liked it. Simple as that. To say it was rejected because it may convey being in the gauge is a joke, there are more than plenty of those on here. Travis's BNSF shot comes to mind immediately. Not a shot at him at all, great picture, but it pretty much shoots the argument down.
Old 11-18-2010, 03:36 AM   #22
coborn35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soo 6060 View Post
He is saying that no matter what you tell us, it doesn't matter. Sure, you may have not been on the private right of way, but the angle the picture was shot at makes it appear as if you were. Because of this, RP does not want the shot on the database.
I am not stupid Daniel, I understand what he is trying to say.
Old 11-18-2010, 03:37 AM   #23
Holloran Grade
Banned

Lightbulb Ya, that is the rule we learned last week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlgevo51 View Post
I would think that you got that reject because the screeners thought that you were trespassing. ...[omitted]....
I think the shot is fine and if you put something in the caption that people can read that you were there by permission or something then they should let it in.

Fullerton has a track like this that tends to confuse people.

Railfan'in in Style
Holloran Grade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 03:41 AM   #24
coborn35

This is a broader view:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg eh.JPG (719.4 KB, 147 views)
Old 11-18-2010, 03:41 AM   #25
Soo 6060
EMD > GE

Quote:
Thats not true at all Ben, come on now. If you don't like the image, thats fine, i'm big boy, I can take criticism, but don't make up lame excuses.
Quote:
I am not stupid Daniel, I understand what he is trying to say.
Apparently not, but, fine. Fair enough.
Soo 6060 is offline   Reply With Quote