Old 10-01-2008, 03:58 AM   #76
stevenmwelch

Send a message via AIM to stevenmwelch Send a message via Yahoo to stevenmwelch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noct Foamer
[color=Purple]What I am is pasionate about photography, and I just don't want to keep making the same kinds of shots over and over again. It's like deer hunting. I've likely shot over 100 deer in my lifetime. It got to where it just wasn't the challenge it once was. I now mostly hunt antelope and elk. I will be heading out west this weekend for rifle/antelope season, in fact. Now, if they would let me hunt deer in the dark, I might be up for that. I've heard they do that in Arkansas.
Every post of yours I have read makes me think you're just a self centered egotistical jerk. To sum it up, those shots I have seen of yours... THEY SUCK.

Every post is "blah blah I am great I am gods gift to rail photography blah blah blah blah" but it's not true, it's just a bunch of crap I'm seeing. You remind me of another RP guy, doesn't post in the forums, but some of the guys in my area know who I'm talking about. Self centered jerk who likes to hear himself talk.

Nobody gives an obese rodents' rectum of what you've hunted over the years, or how you produce your crappy shots.

Just my $.02, I'm going back to my rock.
My Photos on RP
My RP Rejects and then Some

Last edited by stevenmwelch; 10-01-2008 at 04:03 AM.
stevenmwelch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 04:11 AM   #77
stevenmwelch

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Ryan

Thank God I was out taking train pictures today. 532 to be exact.

I went out and took 15, but, then, I only saw 1 train...
My Photos on RP
Old 10-01-2008, 04:33 AM   #78
Mgoldman

Kent - I applaud your patience, hang in there, and keep listening, you may learn a few things. RP'rs come in all flavors and we all have our own preferences and tastes but you are getting some good advice from a few here and though it's rather hard hitting, there's definately some merit here.

I'd like to see some of your pics - as I have questioned often on Obscar, everyone talks but few share. RP evens the deck. Put your cards on the table and learn the game. You can put any quality photo on RP but it takes something special to make the front page and most of those images would be magazine worthy.

RP is not only the place for some of the best railroad photos, but also a place for the best of a style. You may find a wealth of wedges here (they are the easiest to take), but you will find a following for all styles as long as the quality is there - I was about to name some names but the list is long - just take a look at some of the PC's, SC's and POTW's, PC's specifically as they are selected by a great audience. There is abstract, B&W, Nostalgia, Human Element, Night photography, the list and the following goes on.

From the limited amount of photos I've seen, outside of the interesting abstracts, the night photography is a work in progress - Gary's pics may look like daytime at night but yours look like it's still dark out - way too dark. But then, I've seen very little to date.

/Mitch

PS - Jim - You put on one hell of a Roast!
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 10:57 PM   #79
Noct Foamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgoldman
1. Kent - I applaud your patience, hang in there, and keep listening, you may learn a few things. RP'rs come in all flavors and we all have our own preferences and tastes but you are getting some good advice from a few here and though it's rather hard hitting, there's definately some merit here.

2. I'd like to see some of your pics - as I have questioned often on Obscar, everyone talks but few share. RP evens the deck. Put your cards on the table and learn the game. You can put any quality photo on RP but it takes something special to make the front page and most of those images would be magazine worthy.

1. I'm a sales rep. You wouldn't believe the daily abuse I can receive, and it's far less now than what I got when calling on cardiologists/internists, LOL! We had a saying that if you didn't get thrown out of a clinic at least every now & then, you probably weren't trying hard enough. Doesn't bother me. I will add though that this is the only forum I've ever been on where I had to use the troll filter. Might reduce people on that from two down to one eventually, I'll see. One of the two probably isn't a bad guy, actually.

2. I really don't like posting photos on the internet. I've never felt real comfortable with that, and to me it just doesn't seem to have any upsides at all. What is the reward/benefit from having total strangers look at photos? I'm not sure. Let me know if there are any--I'll listen to reasonable people. After thinking things over here, more & more I'm starting to figure out that what I like best are the stories, more than photos. The forum I post most on is ObsCar, and there are no photos at all on it, despite lots of pro-level talent. I do post stories with a few photos from time to time on Railroadphoto Essays and might do another one of those soon. RP doesn't seem to encourage writing much, unless I missed it. One thing that really bothers me about RP are the restrictions on what post processing I can use. As I see it, that's up to me, the photographer. I don't do a lot, but clearly do some that is against their policy. I do think they will eventually HAVE to change their policy, and I will certainly take another look. I basically want control of my own work. Understandable? If they don't like the job I did with the processing, they could certainly reject on that basis. No big deal. There are tens of thousands of shots in the main segment of the website. Mine will would neither be noticed nor missed. Posting photos on anonymous internet forums just isn't my motivation for photography. It's more about creating, and challenge. I managed to take what might have been one of the best RR shots of my entire life last week. Near as I can tell, it might be a true first. It will be sent to TRAINS. Maybe I'll get some $$$. That's what makes me happy. Why give that one away for free?

As for night photos, I had to take a summer vacation due to a shortage of dark at my latitude. Wife would not be crazy about me staying out until 3 AM, you know. I did take some night flash shots while I was at Yosemite/CA coast. Not a lot, but I liked them. Below is one. The low tide occured early morning, and I wanted to photo the tide pools near Shelter Cove, CA. I put two flash on poles with LumiQuist softboxes, and a third inside a ziploc bag. I put the bag in the water. Luckily, no salt water got in. This was my first time photo'ing tide pools, and I enjoyed it a lot. Nikon 70-200mm f2.8 used with Canon 500D for macro.

Kent in SD

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sanome.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	3393  

Last edited by Noct Foamer; 10-01-2008 at 11:26 PM.
Noct Foamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 11:35 PM   #80
JimThias

Quote:
[color=Navy]Doesn't bother me. I will add though that this is the only forum I've ever been on where I had to use the troll filter.
Wow, that's rich. A newbie calling the regulars here "trolls."
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 12:11 AM   #81
Watain
-_-

Send a message via MSN to Watain

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias
I guess he ignored freakin everyone. Including me, apparently he didnt enjoy my bunny pancake.
Watain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 12:14 AM   #82
Ween

Quote:
Well, one of us is probably not a bad guy. I guess we'll have to see...
Old 10-02-2008, 12:17 AM   #83
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ween
Well, one of us is probably not a bad guy. I guess we'll have to see...
Doesn't matter. He's too much of a coward anyway to address my earlier comments. I guess for some people it's easier to just live in blissful ignorance than to face reality.
Old 10-02-2008, 12:58 AM   #84
Ween

Quote:
Doesn't matter. He's too much of a coward anyway to address my earlier comments.
Nor mine. Nor Wayne's. Nor J's. Nor...everyone's? I wish I could get away with not answering questions directed my way by simply telling irrelevant stories (like visiting a tide pool), talking about my job (which has nothing to do with photography), or saying RP will HAVE to change because they are so stubborn over their post processing rules.

LOL!
Old 10-02-2008, 01:02 AM   #85
Watain
-_-

Quote:

I will add though that this is the only forum I've ever been on where I had to use the troll filter. Might reduce people on that from two down to one eventually, I'll see. One of the two probably isn't a bad guy, actually.
Sounds like its time to call the...

Seriously....the noob calling the regulars here ''trolls''. Proof he has no idea what he's talking about.

Last edited by Watain; 10-02-2008 at 01:17 AM.
Old 10-02-2008, 01:20 AM   #86
Mgoldman

QUOTE by Noct Foamer
I will add though that this is the only forum I've ever been on where I had to use the troll filter. Might reduce people on that from two down to one eventually, I'll see. One of the two probably isn't a bad guy, actually.

Not sure who is on your list, anything unconstructive I just pass over, though I'd buy tickets to see a celebrity roast hosted by Jim. I'll cut you some slack since I know your name from another site and was surprised to see you venture over to RP. Now if you were Joe Blo...
QUOTE by Noct Foamer
2. I really don't like posting photos on the internet. I've never felt real comfortable with that, and to me it just doesn't seem to have any upsides at all. Yet you do it? What is the reward/benefit from having total strangers look at photos? I'm not sure. Let me know if there are any--I'll listen to reasonable people. Constructive feedback, a little noteriety, a bit of self reflection, and the respect of fellow photographers. After thinking things over here, more & more I'm starting to figure out that what I like best are the stories, more than photos. Maybe your stories are better then your pictures? The forum I post most on is ObsCar, and there are no photos at all on it, despite lots of pro-level talent. Are there stories on Obscar? I know there are pictures yet find it much too cumbersome to locate. Seems more a social group similar but not as convenient to follow as a site such as Trainorders or even RP, though it is free. As for talent - I recognize quite a few respected names at Obscar though most of "pro-talent" is hard to come by short of a news photo that makes it into a magazine. You'll see similar talent here and even the same people (like you ; ) I do post stories with a few photos from time to time on Railroadphoto Essays and might do another one of those soon. RP doesn't seem to encourage writing much, unless I missed it. You missed it - there is typically a story every month - Obscar member George Hamlin and Ron Flanary have written a few. Maybe one of the sites host here will entertain a submission from you? One thing that really bothers me about RP are the restrictions on what post processing I can use. As I see it, that's up to me, the photographer. I don't do a lot, but clearly do some that is against their policy. I do think they will eventually HAVE to change their policy, and I will certainly take another look. I basically want control of my own work. Understandable? RP is a site for railroad PHOTOGRAPHY, not Photoshop skills - maybe you should submit your work to "Layers" magazine. Maybe I'll get some $$$. That's what makes me happy. Why give that one away for free? Cash is nice, but it's not the reason nor motivation most of us shoot.

As for night photos, I had to take a summer vacation due to a shortage of dark at my latitude. Wife would not be crazy about me staying out until 3 AM, you know. You are going about this all wrong - stay out till 11, go to bed and then sneak back out at 2 AM.
Kent in SD

/Mitch in PA

Last edited by Mgoldman; 10-02-2008 at 01:22 AM.
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 01:20 AM   #87
Noct Foamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watain
Seriously....the noob calling the regulars here ''trolls''. Proof he has no idea what he's talking about.

You misrepresent what I said. I said there were only two on my troll list, and I'm having thoughts of maybe reducing that to just one at some point. I'm hardly a "noob." I've been on message boards for 10+ years. I know a troll when I see one. They are a purely negative energy and offer nothing positive.

Kent in SD

Last edited by Noct Foamer; 10-02-2008 at 03:39 AM.
Old 10-02-2008, 01:25 AM   #88
Watain
-_-

Quote:

You misrepresent what I said. I said there were only two on my troll list, and I'm having thoughts of maybe reducing that to just one at some point. I'm hardly a "noob." I've been on message boards for 10+ years. I know a troll when I see one. They are a purely negative energy and offer nothing positive.

Kent in SD

Yeah but, you havent been on here for 10+ years. Not even a whole month yet. Your a noob here. I see no one here giving off any negative energy except for you.
Old 10-02-2008, 01:31 AM   #89
JimThias

Quote:
[COLOR=YELLOW]
By that definition, then there are no trolls at all on the internet, considering most people who post in forums have been doing so for years. Oh wait, I guess he doesn't realize that the term "noob" can be applied to someone who is relatively new to a forum. Even more blissful ignorance.

Interesting...the newbie to RP known as "Kent" brings his negative attitude about RP to this forum, and then has a problem with people offering nothing positive to HIM?

Not only a coward, but a hypocrite as well.

It's funny how people join this forum with an agenda and then can't take the heat when they're called out.

Who is the REAL troll here?

Last edited by JimThias; 10-02-2008 at 01:34 AM.
Old 10-02-2008, 01:46 AM   #90
bigbassloyd

I'm too tall to be a troll, but I'm enjoying the thread thus far..

Now I must go, as somewhere, a backlit 3/4 wedge beckons to be captured...

Loyd L.

My personal photography site
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 01:46 AM   #91
Ween

I find it interesting that Kent doesn't really know how RP works or what makes it tick and still hasn't shown much desire to find out (reference his continual misperception about post processing and that RP MUST change its ways). But, he quickly found out how to implement the "troll" function in the forums. Perhaps he already knew how to use this function after 10+ years on the internet as he's probably had to use it in the past. Afterall, if people aren't using his name in the same breath as the words "the next O.W. Link," he doesn't want to hear it...
Old 10-02-2008, 01:37 PM   #92
stevenmwelch

Mommy and Daddy must not have given him attention, he sure does like to talk about himself. You can really prove a lot of things if you'd just show your work and stop talking about yourself. Nobody on here wants to hear what you did in 1984 or whatever as a sales rep, it's stuff that doesn't belong on the forums. Until then, it's looking like you're still a self centered jerk.
My Photos on RP
Old 10-02-2008, 01:42 PM   #93
Noct Foamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbassloyd
I'm too tall to be a troll, but I'm enjoying the thread thus far..

Thread has been around long enough now to have it's own theme song! I will now leave the thread for the ankle biters to enjoy while they listen to the official theme song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNTxr2NJHa0

Kent in SD

Old 10-02-2008, 03:14 PM   #94
trainboysd40

Send a message via MSN to trainboysd40

I think that I've seen enough of his work to form an opinion now. His composition seems better than a fair few, but it's not the best. He's got a fair bit of talent, but the end results lack something and look amateurish.
I don't think his money quite made it to where his mouth is.
Obligatory link to shots on RP, HERE

Last edited by trainboysd40; 10-02-2008 at 03:15 PM. Reason: typo
trainboysd40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 06:52 PM   #95
John Ryan

Send a message via AIM to John Ryan

What a riot, Kent Staubus, as soon as the heat is turned up, you bow out of the thread. Please, get a clue. The railpictures forums are populated by enough talent to know quality when they see it. And so far, the "flaming hot" reception you've been receiving is simply a reaction to the holier-than-thou attitude that you've been spewing, especially when there has been nothing to back it up.

Even though you've made the dubious claim to be the "#2 Night Photographer" in the United States, I'm starting to suspect that the reason that you have no photos on railpictures is not because you don't want strangers looking at them, don't want to loose control of them, or any other academic nonsense .... but because they simply are not good enough to be accepted here.

If you're going to offer advice and otherwise speak from a position of authority you need to have credible work, not theory, to back up your positions. I haven't seen any yet.

Until you can show decent photos (or get them accepted into the database), please spare us your self-indulgent, outrageous blather. You can "ignore" as many posters as you want, if it helps shield your ego from harsh - but true - assertions. Unfortunately, the "ignore" function does nothing to prevent other visitors from seeing these posts and judging you accordingly.
John Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 04:12 AM   #96
Watain
-_-

Quote:

Thread has been around long enough now to have it's own theme song! I will now leave the thread for the ankle biters to enjoy while they listen to the official theme song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNTxr2NJHa0

Kent in SD

You FAIL at Failing, and no that's not a double negative.

You listen to that? Wow, this is better, and does not reek of 4 year old fail.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kModz0uAmmo