Old 02-11-2011, 03:00 AM   #76
nikos1

Run over by a blue SD60, rejoice!

Wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=7861

More wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's http://nikos1.rrpicturearchives.net/

Video wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's
http://youtube.com/profile?user=nikosjk1
nikos1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 03:02 AM   #77
AntD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias View Post
Speaking of sensitive...what happened to Troy??

My RP Photos

My Flickr Photos

My RRPA Photos

YouTube Videos
AntD. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 03:08 AM   #78
Chase55671
RailPictures.Net Crew

Send a message via AIM to Chase55671 Send a message via MSN to Chase55671

Quote:
Originally Posted by coborn35 View Post
Easily one of the dumbest statements I have heard in awhile. Its not a bad shot. Its pretty sharp, and fine lighting. Im not saying it should get it on, but not a "bad" shot.
Its also nowhere near a roster shot, and telling anyone to stop taking roster is just stupid. You may be one of those people who is more a photographer than someone who like trains, but to those who actually like trains or model them, roster shots are an invaluable tool and we honestly need more of them.
Agreed with Max. I wouldn't expect a comment like that out of Ben, perhaps he is just trying to fit in with the regulars? Joking aside, roster shots and wedges are okay in my book, especially for a site like RP, but I do encourage the more creative side. That's just me.. Both are perfecty acceptable for RP.

It all comes back to the audience of RP.. The railfan and the photographer and which material they prefer to see.. A novice to RP like Ben shouldn't be commenting and telling others to stop shooting what RP finds perfectly acceptable.

Quote:
Maybe he is back to gambling away his pay check in Vegas?
Click here to view my photos at Railpictures.Net
SLR Night Photography Tutorial | Railpictures.Net Beginners Guide
Chase55671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 04:18 AM   #79
jnohallman

Quote:
He got the banhammer for being a bit too "sensitive" to Mitch in the Siter Related forum . . .

Jon

Click here to see my photos on RP.net!

Do not, under any circumstances whatsoever, click here. Don't even think about it. I'm warning you!
jnohallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 05:31 AM   #80
Watain
-_-

Send a message via MSN to Watain

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenEPhoto View Post
Not cropping is gonna help that. Its just a bad photo, it really doesn't need a reason for rejection. Its just another standard old ROSTER SHOT which all need to stop submitting. Which you kinda might wanna start living by that rule, so you can improve your own photography.
Oh I lol'd...

While we're on the subject of kings... Maybe I am the nose on king.

Image © Wayne Stumbo
PhotoID: 352402
Photograph © Wayne Stumbo

Last edited by Watain; 02-11-2011 at 05:33 AM. Reason: blahh
Watain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 01:36 PM   #81
BenEPhoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikos1 View Post
Sorry Ben, but you are totally off base. I'm not a fan of the photo in question as it fails to convey the reason for the photo (NS on Amtrak in California) but to say that everyone needs to stop shooting rosters is flat out stupid. First off the "artistic" group on RP seems to have a hard time distinguishing what actually is a roster, its really a very specific art and this shot is not a roster.
THIS is a roster:
Image © Barry Byington Sr.
PhotoID: 287628
Photograph © Barry Byington Sr.

Look through Barrys work if you want to see what rosters actually are, and they are not as easy to do as you think if you read through some of the captions.
Just because its not your style it is pretty narrow minded to dismiss all photos that are not artistically oriented in whatever way you may feel. After all, RP is still a railfan site.

Maybe I should rephrase what I meant. I feel that anything that shows just a bad angle and one engine(or just one engine) is a roster shot. Boring and overall just doesn't make me want to stop on the photo. On the second note, we do need roster shots to save the past, but on that note, we don't need those shots on railpics, there is another site for those. Just my opinion. I go here to see photography of trains and to rrpicturearchieves to see just trains. Maybe that's how I should have worded my first statement.

I shoot other things more than I shoot trains.....
BenEPhoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 01:55 PM   #82
BenEPhoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase55671 View Post
A novice to RP like Ben shouldn't be commenting and telling others to stop shooting what RP finds perfectly acceptable.
Wait a minute Chase, just because I have 20 photos doesn't mean I'm a novice. I just know that that's all this kid shoots, and I was trying to get him to think other than shooting roster style shots.

Old 02-15-2011, 02:51 PM   #83
nikos1

Quote:
Maybe I should rephrase what I meant. I feel that anything that shows just a bad angle and one engine(or just one engine) is a roster shot. Boring and overall just doesn't make me want to stop on the photo. On the second note, we do need roster shots to save the past, but on that note, we don't need those shots on railpics, there is another site for those. Just my opinion. I go here to see photography of trains and to rrpicturearchieves to see just trains. Maybe that's how I should have worded my first statement.
And thats just it, your opinion, but yet your trying to tell everyone in absolutes to not shoot rosters, which you are still insisting on defining incorrectly.
From the submission guidelines:

Roster Shots:

Properly exposed, non-front coupled roster shots are accepted and welcome. Front coupled roster shots (engine coupled to another engine or cut of cars) are not accepted unless the subject material is rare or unusual.

-------------------------

The whole "RP is about great pictures of trains, not pictures of great trains" is absolute BS, a good roster or action shot of a interesting unit will generally outview an artistically composed shot of common power.

Wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=7861

More wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's http://nikos1.rrpicturearchives.net/

Video wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's
http://youtube.com/profile?user=nikosjk1
nikos1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 03:42 PM   #84
BenEPhoto

Quote:
And thats just it, your opinion, but yet your trying to tell everyone in absolutes to not shoot rosters, which you are still insisting on defining incorrectly.
From the submission guidelines:

Roster Shots:

Properly exposed, non-front coupled roster shots are accepted and welcome. Front coupled roster shots (engine coupled to another engine or cut of cars) are not accepted unless the subject material is rare or unusual.

-------------------------

The whole "RP is about great pictures of trains, not pictures of great trains" is absolute BS, a good roster or action shot of a interesting unit will generally outview an artistically composed shot of common power.
Just because it gets alot of views Nikos doesn't make it a great photo. Just because its exposed properly or a rare power doesn't make a it a good photo. Sorry, roster shots are boring and if you wanna take a roster shot go ahead. Just unlike Coasterfan, don't complain when your roster shot gets rejected.

Old 02-15-2011, 05:10 PM   #85
bigbassloyd

Quote:

If views meant anything, you'd have a great point. Derailments always rake in the views. Does that make them great? Do people want derailment photos hanging up on their walls at home?

Loyd L.

My personal photography site

Last edited by bigbassloyd; 02-15-2011 at 05:17 PM.
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 05:28 PM   #86
coborn35

Quote:
Just because it gets alot of views Nikos doesn't make it a great photo. Just because its exposed properly or a rare power doesn't make a it a good photo. Sorry, roster shots are boring and if you wanna take a roster shot go ahead. Just unlike Coasterfan, don't complain when your roster shot gets rejected.
Sure it does. Properly exposed and cropped correctly makes it a good photo. Absolutely. Does it make it a GREAT photo? Not necessarily, no.
Also, those shots are boring to YOU! This is a hobby where many different things are liked and enjoyed. To say one facet needs to be stopped on this website because one person doesn't enjoy it is silly.
Also, the shot is question was NOT a roster shot, so stop saying that.
I personally have had a problem with those trying to tell us to turn railroad photography into an "art form." It's fine for them to do so, I welcome it in fact, but what I do have a problem with is that the practitioners of the more "arty" shots, I have found, tend to look down their nose's at others who are shooting more "mundane" shots.
Railroad photography is what you make of it, but one way is not "better" than another, IMHO. Unless you have a pole right thought the nose of the engine! -SG
coborn35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 05:28 PM   #87
coborn35

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbassloyd View Post
If views meant anything, you'd have a great point. Derailments always rake in the views. Does that make them great? Do people want derailment photos hanging up on their walls at home?

Loyd L.
Depends on the derailment
I personally have had a problem with those trying to tell us to turn railroad photography into an "art form." It's fine for them to do so, I welcome it in fact, but what I do have a problem with is that the practitioners of the more "arty" shots, I have found, tend to look down their nose's at others who are shooting more "mundane" shots.
Railroad photography is what you make of it, but one way is not "better" than another, IMHO. Unless you have a pole right thought the nose of the engine! -SG
Old 02-15-2011, 06:41 PM   #88
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbassloyd View Post
Do people want derailment photos hanging up on their walls at home?
Quote:
Depends on the derailment
One can at least try to make something of it

Image © Aaron Schlegel
PhotoID: 353983
Photograph © Aaron Schlegel

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 07:29 PM   #89
TAMR159

Quote:
Are you sure we're looking at the same website? Aside from derailments or photos of women, the really well-executed, artistic shots seem to rake in a whole hell of a lot of views and comments. Screeners Choice, POTW, and PCA awards usually go to the artsy stuff - have a look at past winners if you don't believe me. Views is a pretty pointless metric IMO - it is not a measure of your skill, but merely the amount of attention you can attract. It reminds me of guys who go out and make a total ass of themselves under the assumption that women will flock to them - sure, they get a whole lot of attention out of it, but they always seem to go home by themselves at night...
TAMR159 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 02:17 AM   #90
BenEPhoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAMR159 View Post
Are you sure we're looking at the same website? Aside from derailments or photos of women, the really well-executed, artistic shots seem to rake in a whole hell of a lot of views and comments. Screeners Choice, POTW, and PCA awards usually go to the artsy stuff - have a look at past winners if you don't believe me. Views is a pretty pointless metric IMO - it is not a measure of your skill, but merely the amount of attention you can attract. It reminds me of guys who go out and make a total ass of themselves under the assumption that women will flock to them - sure, they get a whole lot of attention out of it, but they always seem to go home by themselves at night...
Well stated.

Old 02-16-2011, 02:19 AM   #91
coborn35

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAMR159 View Post
Why does your skill matter?
Old 02-16-2011, 02:52 PM   #92
BenEPhoto

Quote:
Why does your skill matter?

So all you do is get lucky with all your shots then? Exactly. Knowledge is evolved, but if skill has nothing to do with it, then go ahead and try to get lucky.

Old 02-16-2011, 04:16 PM   #93
coborn35

Did I say that? No I did not. Why does it matter the skill level of someone posting pictures on here. Who cares if they got lucky and got a nice picture, its not up to us to judge them. I never said skill doesn't matter. TAMR said views are not a measure of your skill. Why does every photo on here have to be a measure of your skill. If I go out and sit trackside and this comes by and I step out and take one frame and get this, why is it less deserving than one that takes a ton of skill?
Image © Max Medlin
PhotoID: 350013
Photograph © Max Medlin

Its not about being a professional, its about enjoying yourself. I don't think we should look down on other people because they get lucky, or don't have as much skill as others.
Old 02-16-2011, 04:24 PM   #94
trainboysd40

Send a message via MSN to trainboysd40

It was this precise moment in time that I realized that Max has grown up a lot since I first met him...
Obligatory link to shots on RP, HERE
trainboysd40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 02:23 AM   #95
TAMR159

Quote:
Did I say that? No I did not. Why does it matter the skill level of someone posting pictures on here. Who cares if they got lucky and got a nice picture, its not up to us to judge them. I never said skill doesn't matter. TAMR said views are not a measure of your skill. Why does every photo on here have to be a measure of your skill. If I go out and sit trackside and this comes by and I step out and take one frame and get this, why is it less deserving than one that takes a ton of skill?
Image © Max Medlin
PhotoID: 350013
Photograph © Max Medlin

Its not about being a professional, its about enjoying yourself. I don't think we should look down on other people because they get lucky, or don't have as much skill as others.
For what it's worth, if you look at my post, it clearly says IMO (in my opinion); the remainder of this post is also my own opinion and nothing more.

I have a lot more respect for those who consistently produce photos that make me say "wow," than those who take a more "standard" shot of some power that is rare and/or foreign to the area. To me, that is simply a logistical matter - being in the right place at the right time.

A friend of mine who has been doing this for many, many years longer than I have said it like this: no matter what the power is, someone has always shot it more than you, sunnier than you, in better scenery than you, etc., etc. To each his own though - it's just a hobby, so as much as skill doesn't matter to you, power on a train doesn't matter to me.
Old 02-17-2011, 02:47 AM   #96
TAMR159

And to do a 180 degree turn from my last post...the aforementioned CSX 4617 is now slated for retirement. Shoot it while you can.