Old 07-01-2019, 11:52 PM   #1
MassArt Images

Default RailWatercolors.net

I had to take off my reading glasses to see if they were badly smudged. Nope; Guess a new category is in order.
Image © Greg Brubaker
PhotoID: 701749
Photograph © Greg Brubaker

My RP pics are HERE

My website is HERE
MassArt Images is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 03:12 AM   #2
Decapod401

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassArt Images View Post
I had to take off my reading glasses to see if they were badly smudged. Nope; Guess a new category is in order.
Image © Greg Brubaker
PhotoID: 701749
Photograph © Greg Brubaker
Carl,

I've looked at your photo history here, and your oldest photo was shot on a digital camera, so I am assuming that you have never scanned a slide or tried to process one. It is a lot more challenging than processing a RAW or a digital JPEG file. I have processed a ton of slide scans, and a couple dozen RAW images that I have posted on this site.

I shot mostly Kodachrome 25 and 64, and I have developed a process for balancing sharpness and the noise that invades the images as slide scans are sharpened. When I come across one of my "odd" rolls (Kodachrome 200, Echtachrome 200, Agfachrome 64, and Fujichrome), a brand new challenge faces me in achieving that balance, and I have to spend a lot more time that the ~15-20 minutes I spend on a K25 scan.

The photographer has posted a question about this issue in the thread previous to this one, indicating that he is struggling with different non-Kodachrome image. With that knowledge I am willing to give this image a pass, It's easy to have a sharp scanned image with a lot of noise, and it's also easy to have a noiseless image that isn't sharp. As long as the photographer is pursuing better quality images, I will overlook a few transgressions along the way.

My RP Pics are HERE.

I've now got a Flickr. account, too.
Decapod401 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 01:30 PM   #3
bigbassloyd

This was an instance where the accepted version was not an improvement over the rejected image. Still better than the daily offerings on dronesnearorbit.net.

Loyd L.

My personal photography site
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 06:08 PM   #4
Decapod401

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbassloyd View Post
This was an instance where the accepted version was not an improvement over the rejected image. Still better than the daily offerings on dronesnearorbit.net.

Loyd L.
And yet the suborbital perspectives keep climbing to TO24 slots. I can't see this happening without a campaign that would win the 2020 election. There are just not enough regular viewers who would continue to click due to a WTF curiosity.

My RP Pics are HERE.

Last edited by Decapod401; 07-02-2019 at 06:10 PM.
Old 07-02-2019, 07:35 PM   #5
KevinM

There is also one guy who has met with considerable "success" in the last 48 hrs. His shots appear and within an hour they have over 1000 hits, whereas the shots that posted with him have fewer than 100. In his profile, he lists "marketing" as his occupation. Ya think?

When I see that sort of stuff happening on RP, I decide to take a few days off.

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 03:04 AM   #6
miningcamper1

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM View Post
There is also one guy who has met with considerable "success" in the last 48 hrs. His shots appear and within an hour they have over 1000 hits, whereas the shots that posted with him have fewer than 100. In his profile, he lists "marketing" as his occupation. Ya think?
Maybe.
But his shots are usually worth a look IMO, and he's nowhere near the top in average views.

RP Photos: www.railpictures.net/miningcamper1/
miningcamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 04:49 AM   #7
KevinM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miningcamper1 View Post
Maybe.
But his shots are usually worth a look IMO
Assuming we are thinking about the same individual, he's got 3 of top 6 of the last week, two of which are over 10,000 views. Nice photos, but clearly the "popularity" is the result of a massive linking campaign. I've never been a fan of linkers, because it smacks of "screw the rest of you, my stuff belongs in the spotlight." KB syndrome.

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.
Old 07-03-2019, 01:25 PM   #8
bigbassloyd

The PCA's are winning with under 20 likes at times (which suggests low amounts of votes) and the TO24s are predetermined like a wrestling match. Where has my RP gone?

Loyd L.

Old 07-03-2019, 02:51 PM   #9
KevinM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbassloyd View Post
The PCA's are winning with under 20 likes at times (which suggests low amounts of votes) and the TO24s are predetermined like a wrestling match. Where has my RP gone?

Loyd L.
Well put.

We're in an age in which popularity is apparently now determined by social media hits, which can so easily be manipulated by narcissistic types. The hell of it is that most (although certainly not all) of these "I love me" campaigns could be so easily prevented with just a little extra code. In the case of TO24, I'm sure the site welcomes the linked hits, because they help generate ad revenue......but they don't have to count them in determining which pictures make the home page. TO24 has become a ballot box-stuffing contest, and I don't believe that was the original intent. Rather, it should be a measure of popularity on RP, where everybody gets exactly one vote per day.

My RP stuff is here.

Old 07-04-2019, 12:01 AM   #10
vcode455

Agree with Kevin. I will also post images on FB. I copy and paste the description I use here and then attach the file. Very simple and no need to link (I only linked once as an experiment). As to slides, they are usually much harder to process. So much is based on the scanner you use. I really wish there was a moderately priced scanner ($300-500) that could do a nice scan in a short time, say 15 seconds or less. I usually remove dust, adjust color, and sharpen. Kodachrome 64 usually gives good results, sometimes have issues with Provia. I know my scans may not be perfect, but hopefully the subject matter makes up for it.
vcode455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 03:43 AM   #11
Decapod401

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcode455 View Post
Agree with Kevin. I will also post images on FB. I copy and paste the description I use here and then attach the file. Very simple and no need to link (I only linked once as an experiment). As to slides, they are usually much harder to process. So much is based on the scanner you use. I really wish there was a moderately priced scanner ($300-500) that could do a nice scan in a short time, say 15 seconds or less. I usually remove dust, adjust color, and sharpen. Kodachrome 64 usually gives good results, sometimes have issues with Provia. I know my scans may not be perfect, but hopefully the subject matter makes up for it.
Greg,

Try this.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...e_scanner.html

If you decide to get one, skip their software and go directly to VueScan. I have never timed it, but I scan at 3600 dpi, single pass, and no infrared cleaning. I'm sure a slide takes under 30 seconds to scan.

My RP Pics are HERE.

Last edited by Decapod401; 07-04-2019 at 03:46 AM.
Old 07-04-2019, 04:23 AM   #12
RobJor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decapod401 View Post
And yet the suborbital perspectives keep climbing to TO24 slots. I can't see this happening without a campaign that would win the 2020 election. There are just not enough regular viewers who would continue to click due to a WTF curiosity.
Come on, it doesn't get much better than this. Whenever I get south of I-70 I give WH a try, well maybe only once. Usually an experience in itself.

Image © JT Photography
PhotoID: 702040
Photograph © JT Photography

Bob
RobJor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 11:49 AM   #13
Decapod401

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobJor View Post
Come on, it doesn't get much better than this. Whenever I get south of I-70 I give WH a try, well maybe only once. Usually an experience in itself.

Image © JT Photography

Bob
A former colleague of mine had spent time working in the field for a utility in rural SC, and the crew would usually go to WH for breakfast. Then one day they noticed a huge pot of pre-cracked eggs sitting at room temperature, waiting to be ladled onto the grill when an order was received.

Years ago, there was a rumor that Sammy Davis Jr. and Ella Fitzgerald were going to buy the chain and rename it Sam 'n' Ella's.

BTW, I actually did a WTF click on this one.

My RP Pics are HERE.

Last edited by Decapod401; 07-04-2019 at 11:55 AM.
Old 07-04-2019, 01:52 PM   #14
KevinM

My first reaction to this:

Image © JT Photography

is that the photo leaves me frustrated. The subject is really the Waffle House sign, not the train. The down-angle is too extreme and I can't see any detail in the side of the train. The purpose of including the train appears solely to meet the qualifications to appear on this site.

I've seen old photos of this Casey Jones look-alike engine, but would love to see what kind of condition it is in now and how well it is being maintained. This photo doesn't help much in that pursuit.

And yes, I think there is also some campaigning going on. This photographer appears to be shooting exclusively with a UAV. While his/her portfolio does include some interesting wide aerials, the majority are shot from angles and altitudes that are too extreme for my tastes. Others may like the "Look mom, I'm flying!" perspective. I find such photos.....good for hurricane damage assessment.

My RP stuff is here.

Old 07-07-2019, 12:18 PM   #15
MassArt Images

Quote:
My first reaction to this:

Image © JT Photography

is that the photo leaves me frustrated. The subject is really the Waffle House sign, not the train. The down-angle is too extreme and I can't see any detail in the side of the train. The purpose of including the train appears solely to meet the qualifications to appear on this site.

I've seen old photos of this Casey Jones look-alike engine, but would love to see what kind of condition it is in now and how well it is being maintained. This photo doesn't help much in that pursuit.
But Kevin, if the photo was taken at ground level you'd get a foreground obstruction rejection 99% of the time. It's a crap shoot, submit and cross your fingers.

My RP pics are HERE

My website is HERE
MassArt Images is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 03:04 AM   #16
KevinM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassArt Images View Post
But Kevin, if the photo was taken at ground level you'd get a foreground obstruction rejection 99% of the time. It's a crap shoot, submit and cross your fingers.
Right Carl. That was my point. There really isn't a good shot of this locomotive, but the photographer still elected to press on and try and get an RP submission by making the Waffle House sign the subject. It's a nice shot of the sign, but a poor image of the train.

Everyone sees things differently. I'm just saying that I personally wouldn't have bothered to shoot that, much less submit it to RP.

My RP stuff is here.

Old 07-08-2019, 03:26 AM   #17
miningcamper1

Quote:
Right Carl. That was my point. There really isn't a good shot of this locomotive, but the photographer still elected to press on and try and get an RP submission by making the Waffle House sign the subject. It's a nice shot of the sign, but a poor image of the train.

Everyone sees things differently. I'm just saying that I personally wouldn't have bothered to shoot that, much less submit it to RP.
More suitable for Facebook, IMO.

Just for fun, I googled "mundane railroad pictures". About half the results were better than the shot in the crosshairs! Even a few worth saving.

RP Photos: www.railpictures.net/miningcamper1/

Last edited by miningcamper1; 07-08-2019 at 03:29 AM.
miningcamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 03:11 PM   #18
bigbassloyd

The lack of any appreciable perspective distortion correction on the majority of the drone photos uploaded here is mind blowing. At least attempt to give the viewer a small pause to determine whether it's aerial or high terrain.

Loyd L.