Old 08-28-2018, 02:23 AM   #1
John West
Senior Curmudgeon

Smile RP rejects can be found in odd places

I recently visited Cumbres Pass and was enjoying a kiosk with historic information when I noticed a picture that looked familiar. Looking closer it was indeed one of mine and properly credited, so i was not unhappy. The Friends of the C&TS have used my stuff before. What I found interesting, and the reason for this post, is the image happens to be one of my many RP rejections. At least it did not go totally unappreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CTScumkiosk1000v.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	906.8 KB
ID:	9646   Click image for larger version

Name:	CTScumkioskpic1000.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	766.8 KB
ID:	9647  
John West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 04:23 AM   #2
Mgoldman

Some of the worst photography out there often shows up on magazine covers, stories, flyers and, yes, even kiosks - fortunately, this does not apply to your image! Congratulations, John - it's not narrow gauge without a John West reference nearby!

I've had a few image "pop up" without notice, as well - and like you, for a non-profit, or even a "for profit" steam operation, I am fine without payment, but the courtesy of a heads up is something that sometimes goes unpaid.

/Mitch
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 01:15 PM   #3
bigbassloyd

As I've said before, A lot of my most popular (sales, usage in trade, etc.), were RP rejects. The rest I've never got around to uploading.

Loyd L.
Old 08-28-2018, 09:03 PM   #4
vcode455

I used to trade slide (when that was still a thing) with a small group of people. It is amazing where some of those traders have ended up!
vcode455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 01:48 AM   #5
RobJor

As I have taken time is past to look at some of John's photos I find it surprising to see he had a lot of rejections, maybe some a while ago? Looks like a very good judge of value, not just posting something to post it.

Bob
RobJor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 04:08 PM   #6
John West
Senior Curmudgeon

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobJor View Post
As I have taken time is past to look at some of John's photos I find it surprising to see he had a lot of rejections, maybe some a while ago? Looks like a very good judge of value, not just posting something to post it.

Bob
Thanks for the kind words. You get to see only the ones accepted! And one tends to remember the rejections I guess.

I seem to remember back in the bad old days lots of issues about backlit shots, "moody" shots, artsy shots, and small train big scenery kind of shots, and so on. Both with regard to my stuff and others. My sense is, and maybe it is just me, that RP has evolved and embraced a wider range of styles, and a fair number of my shots were eventually accepted on appeal.

Last edited by John West; 08-29-2018 at 04:12 PM.
Old 08-29-2018, 05:43 PM   #7
RobJor

"I seem to remember back in the bad old days lots of issues about backlit shots, "moody" shots, artsy shots, and small train big scenery kind of shots."

I was not on site back then, if you eliminated them today Screeners Choice would be empty??

Bob
Old 08-29-2018, 07:39 PM   #8
John West
Senior Curmudgeon

Smile

Quote:
"I seem to remember back in the bad old days lots of issues about backlit shots, "moody" shots, artsy shots, and small train big scenery kind of shots."

I was not on site back then, if you eliminated them today Screeners Choice would be empty??

Bob
At least in my mind RP has evolved a lot. As I remember it (and others may remember it differently) RP really liked (and still likes) well lit 3/4 front views (wedgies). More creative stuff was often accepted, but the perception at least among some was those pix was held to a higher standard. We joked about RP being the place for wedgies and wreck pics. Whether that was true or not, it certainly no longer is.
Old 08-30-2018, 02:36 AM   #9
Mgoldman

Quote:
Originally Posted by John West View Post
At least in my mind RP has evolved a lot. As I remember it (and others may remember it differently) RP really liked (and still likes) well lit 3/4 front views (wedgies). More creative stuff was often accepted, but the perception at least among some was those pix was held to a higher standard. We joked about RP being the place for wedgies and wreck pics. Whether that was true or not, it certainly no longer is.
It's not so much, I think, that RP "liked" wedges, but rather, there was no legitimate reason to reject them... They broke no rules - specifically, it was not something left to discretion.

I agree, however - RP has seemingly become more flexible with the "rules" in regards to shots that "break rules" in part thanks to the likes of yourself, John - and several, long gone from RP like Michael Allen, Bob Avery, Robin Coumbes, Alan-John Crotty. RP admin needs to remind itself - you are only as good as the company you surround yourself with. Not saying they left due to lack of flexibility, though many have.

/Mitch
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 12:47 PM   #10
miningcamper1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgoldman View Post
...RP has seemingly become more flexible with the "rules" in regards to shots that "break rules"...
Did they really have a choice? Stand still on the internet, and you risk getting run over.

I do like the recent move to large photos (but still detest the obnoxious large watermarks)!

RP Photos: www.railpictures.net/miningcamper1/

Last edited by miningcamper1; 08-30-2018 at 12:48 PM. Reason: typo
miningcamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 02:00 AM   #11
Dennis A. Livesey

Talking

If you make the merest effort, you can find cutting-edge rail photography here.

I would say that the wide onus against RP comes from the rejection process.

Both sides proceed to act badly in the aftermath.

Rarely am I rejected here. But then again, I know the "rules".

I Foam Therefore I Am.

My pix on RailPics:

I am on Flickr as well:

"Dennis is such a God, he could do that with a camera obscura and some homemade acetate." Holloran Grade

"To me it looks drawn in in Paintshop. It looks like a puddle of orange on the sky." SFO777
Dennis A. Livesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 04:32 PM   #12
John West
Senior Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis A. Livesey View Post
If you make the merest effort, you can find cutting-edge rail photography here.

I would say that the wide onus against RP comes from the rejection process.

Both sides proceed to act badly in the aftermath.

Rarely am I rejected here. But then again, I know the "rules".
But Dennis it is far more fun to test the limits of the rules . I do agree there is some very good stuff on RP, in a way the real problem is not what gets rejected but too much uninteresting stuff gets accepted submerging the good stuff. As Mitch says, well lit wedgies don't break any rules. "Art" doesn't fit rules very well.

John
Old 08-31-2018, 04:42 PM   #13
RobJor

Is this a great shake, NO, but certainly I thought this has value for interest and historic value. As note before, very few images at all from Mexico. I could go out today, it is sunny and take Metra photos or BNSF images if I just wanted something accepted.(I hope)

As an older guy am I going to sit around process and submit and take my time trying to second guess what is going to be rejected.

At the same time I read Dennis's post I had another tab open with a great photo of PA's at San Diego and The Super Chief at ABQ. Both were well exposed but side lit. I guess he had given up taking the time and effort to post here. Too bad the NB from San Diego didn't have sun on the nose in 64. Too few historic photos anymore and time is running out for us.

Bob

http://www.railpictures.net/viewqueued.php?id=1678954
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RailpicsCH-P-02.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	949.0 KB
ID:	9653  
Old 08-31-2018, 05:00 PM   #14
Grewup on the CW

[quote=RobJor;194646].... Too few historic photos anymore and time is running out for us.
Bob

Historic photo's is what brought me to RP in the first. Nothing against today's pic's and technology but I am drawn to older shots quicker than I am the newer stuff. I have a few very rough old pics from my childhood and I have only been able to process one good enough that RP accepted it. That pic by no means meet's the "fine" quality of today's pics but I wanted to share it with the rest of the RP audience simply for its historical value and of days gone by.....

(I forgot the photoid script, so here is the link)

http://www.railpictures.net/photo/573180/
Grewup on the CW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 05:34 PM   #15
miningcamper1

Quote:
Too few historic photos anymore and time is running out for us.
Too few??? I'll run out of time before I run out of photos! Example: I've just scratched the surface on John Dziobko's website. Add in books, videos and my own slides (not to mention non-rail stuff)...and digitized Trains magazine back to the first issue...

Oh, and I like the trucks on that CH-P caboose!

Old 08-31-2018, 06:02 PM   #16
RobJor

Quote:
Originally Posted by miningcamper1 View Post
Too few??? I'll run out of time before I run out of photos! Example: I've just scratched the surface on John Dziobko's website. Add in books, videos and my own slides (not to mention non-rail stuff)...and digitized Trains magazine back to the first issue...

Sorry I meant old photos here. I like the standard information format and tho the search is weak it still allows you to look in one place. But that is the point, there is a lot out there, just other places.

Bob
Old 08-31-2018, 06:25 PM   #17
miningcamper1

Quote:
But that is the point, there is a lot out there, just other places.
For me, that's the fun- doing a google image search and perusing the irrelevant hits. The irrelevant stuff is often more interesting than what I was looking for. Like the Milwaukee boxcabs street-running at night that I linked to in the off-topic forum. I didn't even know that Milwaukee electrics ran in a street!

Old 08-31-2018, 06:45 PM   #18
RobJor

Quote:
For me, that's the fun- doing a google image search and perusing the irrelevant hits. The irrelevant stuff is often more interesting than what I was looking for. Like the Milwaukee boxcabs street-running at night that I linked to in the off-topic forum. I didn't even know that Milwaukee electrics ran in a street!

Was that in Renton? I have seen photos of the Olympian there. Will look it up.

Yes there is a point to fun-stuff that except if you really want some specific information. Once it runs out of hits on the primary search key it filters down and all of sudden photo is not in search state of even the right RR.

Neat when you search and you find your won stuff. LOL

Bob
Old 08-31-2018, 07:47 PM   #19
miningcamper1

Quote:
Was that in Renton? I have seen photos of the Olympian there. Will look it up.

Yes there is a point to fun-stuff that except if you really want some specific information. Once it runs out of hits on the primary search key it filters down and all of sudden photo is not in search state of even the right RR.

Neat when you search and you find your won stuff. LOL

Bob
Renton: Yes!

Finding my own stuff? Great, as long as the credit line is intact! I found a couple on Pinterest- they send me lots of updates, so I spend a fair amount of time there.

Old 09-02-2018, 02:15 AM   #20
RobJor

Quote:

I guess I just didn't have the skill set!!! Caboose No, Box Car Yes, I think the motto did it for TO-024. Smiling. Bob

Image © Doug Lilly
PhotoID: 669117
Photograph © Doug Lilly

Last edited by RobJor; 09-02-2018 at 12:04 PM.
Old 09-02-2018, 08:16 AM   #21
Reinhard

Default Backlit with comment to screener

I had a backlit photo these days. An international sleeper coming from Vienna (Austria) and bound for Zurich (Switzerland) took the route over the scenic Upper Allgäu line in southern Germany. The normal way over the Arlberg summit was closed due to (planned) line works. The train had been rerouted for four days only.

As I uploaded this picture, I wrote into the "Comments to Screeners" field: I know this image is backlit. But it is a very rare chance to spot an international sleeper on this scenic route...

And the picture has been accepted!

http://www.railpictures.net/photo/668940
Reinhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 12:16 PM   #22
RobJor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
I had a backlit photo these days. An international sleeper coming from Vienna (Austria) and bound for Zurich (Switzerland) took the route over the scenic Upper Allgäu line in southern Germany. The normal way over the Arlberg summit was closed due to (planned) line works. The train had been rerouted for four days only.

As I uploaded this picture, I wrote into the "Comments to Screeners" field: I know this image is backlit. But it is a very rare chance to spot an international sleeper on this scenic route...

Great scene, think it would/should have been accepted without comment but that is good idea - I see non-electrified line? and many sleeper routes have been dropped so not that common?

Going from Munich to Zurich via Vienna?? rough on the geography but seems like a good detour but likely reading it wrong.

Bob
Old 09-02-2018, 02:01 PM   #23
John West
Senior Curmudgeon

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post

A beautiful train picture regardless of the reroute and non-electrification. Not really backlit so much as side lit, the side of the train has sun on it only the nose is a bit dark. This is really perfect lighting for scenic photography because the shadows create contrast and texture. This is a good example where the "rules" depend on the subject matter, a similar dark nose might not work so well if this were a roster shot.
Old 09-02-2018, 02:22 PM   #24
Decapod401

Quote:
I guess I just didn't have the skill set!!! Caboose No, Box Car Yes, I think the motto did it for TO-024. Smiling. Bob

Image © Doug Lilly
PhotoID: 669117
Photograph © Doug Lilly
FWIW, that one sat in the queue for well over 12 hours before being accepted, so it could have gone either way. The motto was why I submitted it, but I do wish that I had a better example.

My RP Pics are HERE.

I've now got a Flickr. account, too.
Decapod401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 03:15 PM   #25
miningcamper1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decapod401 View Post
FWIW, that one sat in the queue for well over 12 hours before being accepted, so it could have gone either way. The motto was why I submitted it, but I do wish that I had a better example.
2400+ views for a steel boxcar is pretty remarkable!
Many steam loco shots struggle to crack 1000.