Old 10-30-2018, 12:44 AM   #1
Grewup on the CW

Default For your 7 day viewing & suggestions

I'm bored with the standard wedgie so I've been focusing on anything but that. Made another trip to Strasburg this year and took the little ones when it was the Day out with Thomas and retried shooting some previously rejected shots form years earlier. In all my pictures, I focused what has not been posted on RP, thinking outside the box and being different. I hadn't planned this shot as I didnt know the boxcar or anything for that matter would be there but waiting on another shot to develop I was standing very near this location and thought it looked rather picturesque and DIFFERENT. So after patiently waiting for the crowds to clear, I collected a few frames and moved on. After viewing and processing it, I was pleased with the outcome. It was what I was after, a simple different view of Railroad life other than a locomotive bearing down on me at a 3/4 wedgie. Welp needless to say, not good enough for RP. I've tried one other shot from this days adventure and welp it got rejected for clouds, and common power. Clouds I get (but hey not everyday is sunny) what really puzzled me was how Thomas the Tank and #90 steaming right at me qualified for common power. Anyway things have been quite on the forums so I'm throwing this pic out there for any critiques or suggestions, barring the obvious, cloudy.
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...31&key=9076379

Last edited by Grewup on the CW; 10-31-2018 at 12:48 AM.
Grewup on the CW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 02:35 AM   #2
Decapod401

If the subject is the boxcar, there's too much other stuff to the left. If the subject isn't the boxcar, there's too much of the frame devoted to the boxcar. That guy standing next to the boxcar, the sideshow tent behind him, and the blue-white flags above the car aren't doing you any favors, either.

Had you stood about ten feet to the right, put the car's doors at the edge of the frame, and zoomed in a little, you may have had an image where the boxcar is an element of a scene. As is, you have a freight car roster shot with an unrelated scene to its left. You also would have eliminated all of the distractions that I listed above.

At the bottom of this post is a link to a photo that I posted some time back. Some friends and I arrived at the location, which we liked and had good sun. There was an orange and white gas pipeline marker in the foreground. A quick team effort to pick a bunch of tall weeds and lean them against the marker resulted in a shot where the distraction has been eliminated.

The takeaway here is when you envision a shot, determine if the composition makes sense, and then scour the scene for elements that detract, and make efforts to eliminate them.

http://www.railpictures.net/photo/586206/

My RP Pics are HERE.

I've now got a Flickr. account, too.
Decapod401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 03:55 AM   #3
Joseph Cermak

I like what you're going for, but agree with the same reasons Doug posted above. If it were me, I would also crop out some more of the bottom of the frame. That's just me though.
Joseph Cermak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 12:37 PM   #4
RobJor

Museums, you want to take lots of shots. Besides the cropping the processing looks a little off, can't say exactly but not a natural look. I'd reprocess and recrop after the rejection times out.

Bob
RobJor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 02:02 PM   #5
Grewup on the CW

Thanks to all, so far who have commented. Different perspectives is always a plus and helpful. Going on Thomas week/weekend had its benefits and drawbacks. Benefits were that they had 4 locos and 3 trains rolling simultaneously all day long. Drawbacks was all the clutter that Thomas brought with him, the multiple tents, extra fencing and barricades. I have a ton of frames I caught all day long maybe I will find something pleasing to RP to share but my hopes are limited as there were more clouds that day than there was sun and I've already got the cloudy rejection on different submission.
Old 10-31-2018, 01:43 PM   #6
Grewup on the CW

Thanks again to all for the suggestions. I found a frame close to Doug's suggestion, cropped the bottom per Joseph and fix the processing as Bob mentioned (mid tones were to high). While I prefer a full view of the boxcar, I had no shots without the clutter behind it and this shot still achieved what I was after, the not so common boxcar (for today's time) in a completely different setting than what is normally posted for this Railroad.

As further discussion, I most often read in these forums that cutting trains & loco's off in a shot was a no no. Its that just a photographer preference, photography standard or RP preference?

Also here is the link to my accepted pic. I forgot the photo id tag line...

http://www.railpictures.net/photo/675743/
Old 10-31-2018, 02:34 PM   #7
Joseph Cermak

[photoid=XXXXXX]

Image © Grew up on the CW
PhotoID: 675743
Photograph © Grew up on the CW

As for cutting the train off with the edge of the frame, I have always seen it as a general composition rule. Most times, not cutting it off abruptly creates a better/more pleasing composition, but as you can see here, its not a hard rule, I think this works best because of where its cropped.
Joseph Cermak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 08:42 PM   #8
miningcamper1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Cermak View Post
[photoid=XXXXXX]

Image © Grew up on the CW
PhotoID: 675743
Photograph © Grew up on the CW

As for cutting the train off with the edge of the frame, I have always seen it as a general composition rule. Most times, not cutting it off abruptly creates a better/more pleasing composition, but as you can see here, its not a hard rule, I think this works best because of where its cropped.
But then modelers are going to want to see the entire car.

I never quite understood why (to some) it's OK for terrain or vegetation to "cut off" the train, but not the edge of the photo. Is this preference an extension of the wedgie mentality?

RP Photos: www.railpictures.net/miningcamper1/
miningcamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote