Old 10-26-2018, 09:07 PM   #1
amtrak07t

Default Grain / Noise.

I blew up this image 500%. I'm not seeing the grain that the screener(s) are seeing. Any suggestions?

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...89&key=5567230
amtrak07t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 09:48 PM   #2
RobJor

Been noticing your interesting night flash shots, like some of the ideas.

Over the signal and a little over trailing units looks like there is something could be seen as noise but probably exhaust from trailing units picking up light? You might have blurred/burned it out a little??? Could be screener does not like the blacked out nose but dramatic side lighting is a style looks like you are picking up on so maybe you can get it in with a little adjustment and a nice note.

My luck with night photos and noise has run out so I am sympathetic.

Bob
RobJor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 03:25 AM   #3
miningcamper1

Maybe they would have accepted it if there was some light on the trailing unit's nose.

RP Photos: www.railpictures.net/miningcamper1/

Last edited by miningcamper1; 10-27-2018 at 03:26 AM. Reason: typo
miningcamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 12:28 PM   #4
RobJor

Quote:
Originally Posted by miningcamper1 View Post
Maybe they would have accepted it if there was some light on the trailing unit's nose.
Yea but that would only be a front coupled black locomotive, smile.

Bob

Last edited by RobJor; 10-27-2018 at 12:49 PM.
Old 10-27-2018, 10:04 PM   #5
VGN800

I'm seeing very little noise there. Sounds like they just don't like it. I think it's interesting.
VGN800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 11:22 PM   #6
amtrak07t

Thanks for all of your responses.

I wish they'd reject it for PAQ if they just didn't want the image. I appreciate everyone's comments.
Old 10-28-2018, 12:30 AM   #7
RobJor

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtrak07t View Post
Thanks for all of your responses.

I wish they'd reject it for PAQ if they just didn't want the image. I appreciate everyone's comments.
That could be next. I guess I am too pushy so it goes too dark, too much noise and too dark, too dark so after I made changes I did not want to and ruined what I thought was an OK image I get the PAQ.

On the other hand there are a some that made it through the process. I see you have a few that were a little on the edge that made it.

Bob
Old 10-28-2018, 05:27 AM   #8
VGN800

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobJor View Post
That could be next. I guess I am too pushy so it goes too dark, too much noise and too dark, too dark so after I made changes I did not want to and ruined what I thought was an OK image I get the PAQ.

On the other hand there are a some that made it through the process. I see you have a few that were a little on the edge that made it.
Bob
I've also run into repeated rejections ending in a PAQ enough times to consider not putting any more work into an image once it's been rejected for a couple of minor issues. On the other hand my most recent image went through that process and was eventually accepted.

http://www.railpictures.net/photo/675066/

This photo was originally rejected for noise. Since it's actually just a snapshot from a 4K video I was able to use the Neat Video noise reduction tool (much more effective than still noise reduction) to almost completely eliminate what was pretty minimal noise to begin with. When I resubmitted it they rejected again for the image being unlevel. Well, I shot this on a high end video tripod with a quality bubble level so I know it was level. I appealed the rejection and it was accepted. I thought the next rejection would be "too dark" because every shot like this I have submitted in the past was rejected for that reason. I have to wonder if it was a different screener who eventually accepted the image.
VGN800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 09:57 AM   #9
miningcamper1

Quote:
Originally Posted by VGN800 View Post
I've also run into repeated rejections ending in a PAQ enough times to consider not putting any more work into an image once it's been rejected for a couple of minor issues. On the other hand my most recent image went through that process and was eventually accepted.

http://www.railpictures.net/photo/675066/
Good video! But I hope that short train is not the norm up there. Most of the Central Vermont trains I encountered were 100 cars or more.

RP Photos: www.railpictures.net/miningcamper1/
miningcamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 12:23 AM   #10
amtrak07t

Quote:

Bob
Yeah it might be next. All of my night photos are shot with similar ISO values, so the noise should be relatively consistent. I'm fine if they PAQ the photo, but I don't want them to beat around the bush.
Old 10-29-2018, 01:17 PM   #11
bigbassloyd

I don't see any noise, but plenty of other issues that justify a rejection. Sorry.

Loyd L.
Old 10-29-2018, 05:37 PM   #12
amtrak07t

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbassloyd View Post
I don't see any noise, but plenty of other issues that justify a rejection. Sorry.

Loyd L.
I don't understand why they wouldn't have rejected it for something else.
Old 10-29-2018, 06:50 PM   #13
amtrak07t

I appealed it because I just wanted to know where they saw the noise. Sometimes, the admin will post a comment on the appeal (I was expecting "the noise is by the second locomotive" or something). To my surprise, they accepted it. Cool!

http://www.railpictures.net/photo/675560/
Old 10-29-2018, 07:50 PM   #14
Grewup on the CW

Quote:
I appealed it because I just wanted to know where they saw the noise. Sometimes, the admin will post a comment on the appeal (I was expecting "the noise is by the second locomotive" or something). To my surprise, they accepted it. Cool!

http://www.railpictures.net/photo/675560/
At least you get written responses on appeals. I've yet to get one word uttered on my appeals other than Rejected.
Grewup on the CW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 09:49 PM   #15
amtrak07t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grewup on the CW View Post
At least you get written responses on appeals. I've yet to get one word uttered on my appeals other than Rejected.
I usually ask them for clarity (in the comments box) when I don't see what they see. They're pretty good at giving a few words of advice if you ask them to.
Old 10-29-2018, 11:57 PM   #16
Grewup on the CW

Quote:
I usually ask them for clarity (in the comments box) when I don't see what they see. They're pretty good at giving a few words of advice if you ask them to.
I've been told to keep in short in the appeals box. Which I've followed and asked simple questions but to no avail. Not one appeal, to date, have I ever won and for those wondering how many appeals have I tried? maybe 5 to 8 times.... These forums has been the only place via this web site that I've ever received any pointers or comments. So in your sake, its good to know that every appeal is not just rubber stamped.
Grewup on the CW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 03:53 AM   #17
Joseph Cermak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grewup on the CW View Post
I've been told to keep in short in the appeals box. Which I've followed and asked simple questions but to no avail. Not one appeal, to date, have I ever won and for those wondering how many appeals have I tried? maybe 5 to 8 times.... These forums has been the only place via this web site that I've ever received any pointers or comments. So in your sake, its good to know that every appeal is not just rubber stamped.
I've had about 50/50 luck with appeals, Probably have appealed around 15 images, though I haven't really kept track. I have only gotten a comment once on a rejection.
Joseph Cermak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 04:53 AM   #18
amtrak07t

I'm about 70/30 with appeals. I very rarely appeal. I typically do it for feedback purposes when I don't understand a rejection. Sometimes the screener hits the wrong button (or doesn't check a box). Usually, if the rejection stands, I receive a sussinct explanation which I'm perfectly fine with.
Old 10-30-2018, 01:01 PM   #19
RobJor

I think I mentioned before my first four submits were rejected. An appeal got the first one in with what was a clear mistake, leaning right. Another got in with a slightly different version of the original. After that every thing was too far, too close too something and I quit for over 6 months. This shaped my perception of the screening process. Lately I am in trouble for complaining too much on rejections.

My problem is being in business for a long time. A lot of what I learned wasn't from my MBA but from customers complaints. It is hard for me to understand when you get new customer to arbitrarily just reject their initial entries. As annoying as it can be reading complaints the trick is trying to dig out what can be valid comments. Too much moaning(in my case), a reply, Bob we value your opinion but............... can go a long way.

Bob
Old 10-30-2018, 02:47 PM   #20
bigbassloyd

I've used the appeal system maybe 4 times since 2006. And if any of those were accepted, I've probably since removed the photo from my account because it was a turd anyway.

Loyd L.
Old 10-30-2018, 05:40 PM   #21
amtrak07t

Quote:
I think I mentioned before my first four submits were rejected. An appeal got the first one in with what was a clear mistake, leaning right. Another got in with a slightly different version of the original. After that every thing was too far, too close too something and I quit for over 6 months. This shaped my perception of the screening process. Lately I am in trouble for complaining too much on rejections.

My problem is being in business for a long time. A lot of what I learned wasn't from my MBA but from customers complaints. It is hard for me to understand when you get new customer to arbitrarily just reject their initial entries. As annoying as it can be reading complaints the trick is trying to dig out what can be valid comments. Too much moaning(in my case), a reply, Bob we value your opinion but............... can go a long way.

Bob
That's a neat thought. When I started submitting photos in 2013 ish, getting a shot on Railpictures was "an accomplishment". It took me maybe 20 tries or so (I didn't know how to use a camera or anything). Rejections were much more vague back then, and it was frustrating to have vague 1-2 word rejections (unlevel horizon, bad composition, bad cropping). It was frustrating for newer guys who never experienced a juried process. I think their rejection process became much better over the years, and I think it can be argued that RP isn't as strict either.