Old 07-12-2018, 10:51 PM   #1
passrailfan
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 13
Default Good Photo Editing Softwares that Aren't Too Much Money

Hello,
I have been using Picasa for a decade and am considering switching to another Photo Editing Software. What are good ones to use that aren't too expensive? One of the things that I want to improve with my photo editing software is sharpening. Thanks.
passrailfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 05:05 PM   #2
J-M Frybourg
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Paris, France
Posts: 57
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by passrailfan View Post
Hello,
I have been using Picasa for a decade and am considering switching to another Photo Editing Software. What are good ones to use that aren't too expensive? One of the things that I want to improve with my photo editing software is sharpening. Thanks.
For most editing, fast efficacious and simple, I use ACDSee and I recomend it
J-M Frybourg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 08:46 PM   #3
miningcamper1
Senior Member
 
miningcamper1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 1,061
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-M Frybourg View Post
For most editing, fast efficacious and simple, I use ACDSee and I recomend it
First time I have heard of that editor, but it looks interesting. Which version?
__________________
flickr photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/11947249@N03/

RP Photos: www.railpictures.net/miningcamper1/
miningcamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 02:50 AM   #4
OBrian Harmon
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Fairfield, Ohio
Posts: 18
Default

Pixlr is a free online editor but it has its limitations, Lightroom, while not free, is another good piece of software, I would highly recommend it.
OBrian Harmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 07:12 PM   #5
J-M Frybourg
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Paris, France
Posts: 57
Default

I use ACDSee Pro 2018. This is enough for most standard situations. That would be my best choice for basis photo editing software. Note that I am also using Photoshop CC and DXO Photolab. I also have Lightroom but I do not use it.
J-M Frybourg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 05:41 AM   #6
charlesstookey
Junior Member
 
charlesstookey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Vancouver WA, formerly Oklahoma
Posts: 10
Default

I use Photoshop Elements. I believe they offer a trial version. Many how-to videos on YouTube.
charlesstookey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 07:57 AM   #7
miningcamper1
Senior Member
 
miningcamper1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 1,061
Default

Some observations:
Elements- $70, 3 stars on Amazon
GIMP (disk)- $10.99, 4 stars on Amazon, "steep learning curve".
IrfanView- free, not full-featured, but has many uses
SnagIt- moderate price, not full-featured, but can capture photos and videos no matter what the uploader did to discourage saving. Paint with any color, any opacity. Perspective correction.
__________________
flickr photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/11947249@N03/

RP Photos: www.railpictures.net/miningcamper1/

Last edited by miningcamper1; 07-22-2018 at 08:16 AM. Reason: addition
miningcamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 03:45 PM   #8
jac_murphy
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 373
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by miningcamper1 View Post
Some observations:
Elements- $70, 3 stars on Amazon
GIMP (disk)- $10.99, 4 stars on Amazon, "steep learning curve".
IrfanView- free, not full-featured, but has many uses
SnagIt- moderate price, not full-featured, but can capture photos and videos no matter what the uploader did to discourage saving. Paint with any color, any opacity. Perspective correction.
You're not paying for GIMP, you're paying for the CD and for the fact it's on Amazon. The program is otherwise entirely free: https://www.gimp.org/downloads/

-Jacques
jac_murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 04:16 PM   #9
miningcamper1
Senior Member
 
miningcamper1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 1,061
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jac_murphy View Post
You're not paying for GIMP, you're paying for the CD and for the fact it's on Amazon. The program is otherwise entirely free: https://www.gimp.org/downloads/

-Jacques
I actually have the free GIMP on my computer, but the interface is so intimidating that I haven't tackled that steep learning curve yet!
__________________
flickr photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/11947249@N03/

RP Photos: www.railpictures.net/miningcamper1/
miningcamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 01:34 PM   #10
KevinM
Senior Member
 
KevinM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 1,898
Default

I use Lightroom most of the time. It's not that expensive ($150) and relatively intuitive. I've never had any formal training with it and consider myself relatively adept at using it.

I'm a little upset with Adobe for no longer allowing folks to BUY any particular version of it. This endless subscription concept is about as attractive my monthly cable TV bill for TV I hardly watch, but at least not as expensive. I just don't appreciate the concept of having to send X dollars a month to someone for the rest of my natural life.
__________________
/Kevin

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:42 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.