Go Back   RailPictures.Net Forums > Railroad Photography Forums > Railroad Photography Forum

Old 10-20-2017, 07:35 PM   #226
RobJor

Honestly, I don't see a problem. This is the only one here so unless something better showed up??, do what, wait a week??? I can only guess that he didn't have free access but had to make due with time and position allowed. His only image here. On another site there was endless gripes about the design. Seemingly some gripers have an ax to grind with UP. The design was by committee so that is what you get. I certainly have gripes with this site but no inclination to vent on this photo.

Bob Jordan
RobJor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 07:53 PM   #227
Grewup on the CW

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobJor View Post
Honestly, I don't see a problem. This is the only one here so unless something better showed up??, do what, wait a week??? I can only guess that he didn't have free access but had to make due with time and position allowed. His only image here. On another site there was endless gripes about the design. Seemingly some gripers have an ax to grind with UP. The design was by committee so that is what you get. I certainly have gripes with this site but no inclination to vent on this photo.

Bob Jordan
Hats off to UP, great design, beautiful loco and I'm not a UP fan. We, as a nation need to support out troops and flag. I merely commented on the unlevel for screener inconsistency. So I started my gripe on a appropriate thread. Congrats to the new RP submitter on his first pic.
Grewup on the CW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 03:07 PM   #228
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAR Connecta View Post
Have to agree, I was thinking the same and waiting for someone to comment. With regards to the HOT PHOTO status it has been given, being a South African what is that accolade all about in this example?
Photo caption:

Quote:
The unveiling of UP 1943 Spirit of the Union Pacific to Support our Troops at the Sunset Station near downtown San Antonio frequently called "Military City USA" The following is copied from the the Union Pacific website: Every detail in The Spirit’s trade dress incorporates a piece of each U.S. armed forces branch. The Spirit’s front is symbolic of Air Force Silver, and the blue stripe is a reflection of the former Strategic Air Command’s “nose sash.” The lettering inside the sash is the original handdrawn font used on the B-17. It is followed by the Coast Guard’s “Racing Stripe” and the Navy’s Battleship Gray, which frames Union Pacific’s traditional American flag. The military camouflage is a nod to the Army and Marines. As the train passes by, the final message on the tail is dedicated to U.S. prisoners of war and those missing in action, featuring the POW/MIA symbol and its motto, You Are Not Forgotten.

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 04:42 PM   #229
Joe the Photog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Cermak View Post
Super unlevel and really tight.
And bad lighting. I was looking for shots of this loco on RP after UP unveiled it and it took a while for the first one to show up here. I actually gave up looking. Since they had already lost the chance to be among the first to show it, they should have waited for a better shot!
Old 10-23-2017, 05:09 PM   #230
SAR Connecta

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias View Post
Photo caption:

All about the caption then

My Railpictures.Net photos can be found here http://www.railpictures.net/sarconnecta/.
SAR Connecta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 01:02 AM   #231
Joseph Cermak

I can't be the only one confused by this. Don't get me wrong it's a good photo, but I'm not seeing what makes it acceptable to RP, other than that I guess it has some tracks...top of the day too.

Image © Nick Ozorak
PhotoID: 635295
Photograph © Nick Ozorak
Joseph Cermak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 03:18 AM   #232
KevinM

Quote:
I can't be the only one confused by this. Don't get me wrong it's a good photo, but I'm not seeing what makes it acceptable to RP, other than that I guess it has some tracks...top of the day too.

Image © Nick Ozorak
Photograph © Nick Ozorak
That's not just an empty track shot, it's an EBT abandonment shot. Those bring in the views. The only thing missing is a big, thick tree growing up in the gauge. Abandonment shots can be as almost as good as wreck shots and chick shots for sucking up the views. The photog is reasonably well-known for good stuff too, which can tip the balance for a shot that might otherwise get the heave-ho.

My stuff is here.

Yeah, I do Flickr too. Tons of non-RP stuff there.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 03:30 AM   #233
Joseph Cermak

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM View Post
That's not just an empty track shot, it's an EBT abandonment shot. Those bring in the views. The only thing missing is a big, thick tree growing up in the gauge. Abandonment shots can be as almost as good as wreck shots and chick shots for sucking up the views. The photog is reasonably well-known for good stuff too, which can tip the balance for a shot that might otherwise get the heave-ho.
Never heard of the EBT and this shot certainly doesn't convey abandonment, I've seen active lines running on worse. There's a hint of it in the caption but it just says a train that may never come, not that will never come. Just my thoughts.
Old 10-24-2017, 03:46 AM   #234
Joe the Photog

I had to click on the shot to get it, but when I did, it made perfect sense. It's a beautiful photograph and it conveys a sense of hope even as the track looms over there on the side somewhat hard to notice at last in the thumbnail. He says "the train that may never come" as it's not abandoned, I don't believe. Just hasn't been used as the EBT doesn't presently run.

Great shot, actually.
Old 10-24-2017, 04:18 AM   #235
Noct Foamer

Quote:

The use of Light was exquisite, and that conveys a very strong mood, I think.

Kent in SD
Noct Foamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 04:24 AM   #236
KevinM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
I had to click on the shot to get it, but when I did, it made perfect sense. It's a beautiful photograph and it conveys a sense of hope even as the track looms over there on the side somewhat hard to notice at last in the thumbnail. He says "the train that may never come" as it's not abandoned, I don't believe. Just hasn't been used as the EBT doesn't presently run.

Great shot, actually.
Hi Joe,

The EBT hasn't run on that stretch since the 1950s. I suspect that in that spot, the train probably never will come. For it to run at all, we have to hope that Bill Gates or Warren Buffett will take a shine to steam railroading in their old age.

My stuff is here.

Old 10-24-2017, 04:31 AM   #237
troy12n

Quote:

Image © Nick Ozorak
Photograph © Nick Ozorak
If you are criticizing that photo, maybe you need to learn more about photography, and lose the right to post in this thread...
Old 10-24-2017, 01:36 PM   #238
Joseph Cermak

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy12n View Post
If you are criticizing that photo, maybe you need to learn more about photography, and lose the right to post in this thread...
As I stated, I think it's a great photo, well composed and with good light, I merely posted here because I was confused what made it acceptable to RP and had never heard of EBT or that it was well known. At the end of the day, my purpose in posting this here was to start a discussion, which was successful. Whether some think the photo is great or others find it somewhat uninteresting, as myself, the point was to discuss. I even learned more about a railroad, EBT, that I had never heard of. That's the whole reason for the forums.
I'm not sure what you're insinuating about needing to "learn more about photography and lose the right to post," other than that you have some vendetta against me because I call you out on your snarky and bluntly unhelpful and rude comments.

Last edited by Joseph Cermak; 10-24-2017 at 02:49 PM.
Old 10-24-2017, 02:30 PM   #239
miningcamper1

Quote:

Image © Nick Ozorak
Photograph © Nick Ozorak
I like narrow gauge. I like EBT. I like great light. I read the other comments.

But... this shot is uninteresting. C-.

(IOW, What are we supposed to be looking at?)

RP Photos: www.railpictures.net/miningcamper1/

Last edited by miningcamper1; 10-24-2017 at 03:07 PM. Reason: addition
miningcamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 02:38 PM   #240
KevinM

Quote:
As I stated, I think it's a great photo, well composed and with good light, I merely posted here because I was confused what made it acceptable to RP and had never heard of EBT or that it was well known.
Hi Joseph,

The East Broad Top Railroad & Coal Company was a narrow gauge coal hauler that operated in Western PA from the 1870s until the mid-1950s. It was unusual because narrow gauge railroads were not all that common in the east, and by the time it shut down as a common carrier, narrow gauge was pretty much limited to western lines. EBT then opened as a tourist railroad and ran over a short, 5 miles (of its original 33 miles) for many years. It was unique in that it was family-owned and the owners preserved pretty much everything....roundhouse, rolling stock, engines, infrastructure. Nearly all of the track is still in place, albeit unmaintained.

Unfortunately, in late 2011, the railroad shut down. The owners decided they no longer wanted to plow money into something that had trouble breaking even. It has now sat for 6 years. There are 6 engines in the roundhouse....all original EBT. It is one of just two original railroad roundhouses in the country that still has a full complement of indigenous steam engines. There is even a standard gauge 0-6-0 in an engine house at the interchange in Mt. Union. I believe that one engine still has a current 1,472 SDI, but it will run out within a couple of years. The owner says he wants to sell the railroad, but finding a buyer will be tough. He wants millions for it, and anyone who buys it would have to plow in millions more. It is more of a museum than a real tourist railroad. Fortunately, they have a great "Friends" organization that continues to maintain the property and the buildings.

It's a very sad story. A National Historic Landmark that has a very cloudy future. Only its remoteness keeps it from being parceled out and sold off to developers.

My stuff is here.

Last edited by KevinM; 10-24-2017 at 02:40 PM.
Old 10-24-2017, 02:44 PM   #241
Joseph Cermak

Quote:
Hi Joseph,

The East Broad Top Railroad & Coal Company was a narrow gauge coal hauler that operated in Western PA from the 1870s until the mid-1950s. It was unusual because narrow gauge railroads were not all that common in the east, and by the time it shut down as a common carrier, narrow gauge was pretty much limited to western lines. EBT then opened as a tourist railroad and ran over a short, 5 miles (of its original 33 miles) for many years. It was unique in that it was family-owned and the owners preserved pretty much everything....roundhouse, rolling stock, engines, infrastructure. Nearly all of the track is still in place, albeit unmaintained.

Unfortunately, in late 2011, the railroad shut down. The owners decided they no longer wanted to plow money into something that had trouble breaking even. It has now sat for 6 years. There are 6 engines in the roundhouse....all original EBT. It is one of just two original railroad roundhouses in the country that still has a full complement of indigenous steam engines. There is even a standard gauge 0-6-0 in an engine house at the interchange in Mt. Union. I believe that one engine still has a current 1,472 SDI, but it will run out within a couple of years. The owner says he wants to sell the railroad, but finding a buyer will be tough. He wants millions for it, and anyone who buys it would have to plow in millions more. It is more of a museum than a real tourist railroad. Fortunately, they have a great "Friends" organization that continues to maintain the property and the buildings.

It's a very sad story. A National Historic Landmark that has a very cloudy future. Only its remoteness keeps it from being parceled out and sold off to developers.
Thanks for the info Kevin, I started reading a bit on wikipedia to find out what RBT was but you provided some good additional info. Much appreciated.
Old 10-24-2017, 03:01 PM   #242
miningcamper1

Quote:

We have Colorado and New Mexico saving the C&TS, and West Virginia saving the Cass Scenic. And then we have Pennsylvania. The same Pennsylvania that couldn't save even one anthracite coal breaker. The entire EBT ought to have State Park status.

RP Photos: www.railpictures.net/miningcamper1/
miningcamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 04:05 PM   #243
RobJor

Quote:
Originally Posted by miningcamper1 View Post

I am a little in this camp.
My own view from the 2900+ was a 'what is it", not this is EBT, I got to see.
I would not have put it in this thread but did think the RR connection was marginal at best. Composition??? I don't know, someone else tell me but subjects are on the edges and empty middle but I was curious about the light fixture (or bird feeder) hanging in the middle. Nice light, pleasant photo, lots of that around.

Now Troy?? I took his comment on one of mine without reply but think it is a little funny for someone who revels in saying what he wants to suggest someone else should not post because of their comment??

Bob
RobJor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 06:16 PM   #244
Mberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by miningcamper1 View Post

I agree that particularly in terms of rp acceptance, this is a headscratcher.
Mberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 07:18 PM   #245
Grewup on the CW

I like the mood and setting. Its not a wedgie and its outside the box. Coming from a small town and surrounding area, dead track is everywhere and every part of me always looks at the those empty tracks and wonder "Will there ever be another train?" So this pic hits a home run with me in that respect and nice to see RP loosen the reins.
Grewup on the CW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 12:23 AM   #246
csx_fan

Image © Nicolas Houde
PhotoID: 635612
Photograph © Nicolas Houde

Look at the views - will be top shot soon. How did this ever get accepted ? Am I missing something ?

Last edited by csx_fan; 10-26-2017 at 12:33 AM.
csx_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 12:39 AM   #247
Joseph Cermak

Quote:
Originally Posted by csx_fan View Post
Image © Nicolas Houde
PhotoID: 635612
Photograph © Nicolas Houde

Look at the views - will be top shot soon. How did this ever get accepted ? Am I missing something ?
While it's not traditionally lit for a roster shot, it's a very good rain shot, something that is pretty hard to pull off. I like it and have no major issues with it.
Old 10-30-2017, 03:07 PM   #248
JimThias

I'd love to see the raw image for this:

Image © Kevin Burkholder
PhotoID: 635365
Photograph © Kevin Burkholder

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
Old 10-30-2017, 03:22 PM   #249
bigbassloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias View Post
I'd love to see the raw image for this:

Image © Kevin Burkholder
PhotoID: 635365
Photograph © Kevin Burkholder

Loyd L.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Poop_Emoji_2_large.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	8.7 KB
ID:	9531  

American Rails dot com - A fantastic website with tons of information and photographs related to American railroads and locomotives.
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 04:24 PM   #250
JimThias

I wonder if I could process the F out of this to make it look purdy....

Click image for larger version

Name:	PAR1-IMG_1733 copy.JPG
Views:	69
Size:	701.7 KB
ID:	9532