Go Back   RailPictures.Net Forums > Railroad Photography Forums > Railroad Photography Forum

Old 10-20-2017, 06:35 PM   #226
RobJor

Honestly, I don't see a problem. This is the only one here so unless something better showed up??, do what, wait a week??? I can only guess that he didn't have free access but had to make due with time and position allowed. His only image here. On another site there was endless gripes about the design. Seemingly some gripers have an ax to grind with UP. The design was by committee so that is what you get. I certainly have gripes with this site but no inclination to vent on this photo.

Bob Jordan
RobJor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 06:53 PM   #227
Grewup on the CW

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobJor View Post
Honestly, I don't see a problem. This is the only one here so unless something better showed up??, do what, wait a week??? I can only guess that he didn't have free access but had to make due with time and position allowed. His only image here. On another site there was endless gripes about the design. Seemingly some gripers have an ax to grind with UP. The design was by committee so that is what you get. I certainly have gripes with this site but no inclination to vent on this photo.

Bob Jordan
Hats off to UP, great design, beautiful loco and I'm not a UP fan. We, as a nation need to support out troops and flag. I merely commented on the unlevel for screener inconsistency. So I started my gripe on a appropriate thread. Congrats to the new RP submitter on his first pic.
Grewup on the CW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:07 PM   #228
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAR Connecta View Post
Have to agree, I was thinking the same and waiting for someone to comment. With regards to the HOT PHOTO status it has been given, being a South African what is that accolade all about in this example?
Photo caption:

Quote:
The unveiling of UP 1943 Spirit of the Union Pacific to Support our Troops at the Sunset Station near downtown San Antonio frequently called "Military City USA" The following is copied from the the Union Pacific website: Every detail in The Spirit’s trade dress incorporates a piece of each U.S. armed forces branch. The Spirit’s front is symbolic of Air Force Silver, and the blue stripe is a reflection of the former Strategic Air Command’s “nose sash.” The lettering inside the sash is the original handdrawn font used on the B-17. It is followed by the Coast Guard’s “Racing Stripe” and the Navy’s Battleship Gray, which frames Union Pacific’s traditional American flag. The military camouflage is a nod to the Army and Marines. As the train passes by, the final message on the tail is dedicated to U.S. prisoners of war and those missing in action, featuring the POW/MIA symbol and its motto, You Are Not Forgotten.

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:42 PM   #229
Joe the Photog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Cermak View Post
Super unlevel and really tight.
And bad lighting. I was looking for shots of this loco on RP after UP unveiled it and it took a while for the first one to show up here. I actually gave up looking. Since they had already lost the chance to be among the first to show it, they should have waited for a better shot!
Old Yesterday, 04:09 PM   #230
SAR Connecta

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias View Post
Photo caption:

All about the caption then

My Railpictures.Net photos can be found here http://www.railpictures.net/sarconnecta/.
SAR Connecta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:02 AM   #231
Joseph Cermak

I can't be the only one confused by this. Don't get me wrong it's a good photo, but I'm not seeing what makes it acceptable to RP, other than that I guess it has some tracks...top of the day too.

Image © Nick Ozorak
PhotoID: 635295
Photograph © Nick Ozorak
Joseph Cermak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:18 AM   #232
KevinM

Quote:
I can't be the only one confused by this. Don't get me wrong it's a good photo, but I'm not seeing what makes it acceptable to RP, other than that I guess it has some tracks...top of the day too.

Image © Nick Ozorak
Photograph © Nick Ozorak
That's not just an empty track shot, it's an EBT abandonment shot. Those bring in the views. The only thing missing is a big, thick tree growing up in the gauge. Abandonment shots can be as almost as good as wreck shots and chick shots for sucking up the views. The photog is reasonably well-known for good stuff too, which can tip the balance for a shot that might otherwise get the heave-ho.

My stuff is here.

Yeah, I do Flickr too. Tons of non-RP stuff there.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:30 AM   #233
Joseph Cermak

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM View Post
That's not just an empty track shot, it's an EBT abandonment shot. Those bring in the views. The only thing missing is a big, thick tree growing up in the gauge. Abandonment shots can be as almost as good as wreck shots and chick shots for sucking up the views. The photog is reasonably well-known for good stuff too, which can tip the balance for a shot that might otherwise get the heave-ho.
Never heard of the EBT and this shot certainly doesn't convey abandonment, I've seen active lines running on worse. There's a hint of it in the caption but it just says a train that may never come, not that will never come. Just my thoughts.
Joseph Cermak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:46 AM   #234
Joe the Photog

I had to click on the shot to get it, but when I did, it made perfect sense. It's a beautiful photograph and it conveys a sense of hope even as the track looms over there on the side somewhat hard to notice at last in the thumbnail. He says "the train that may never come" as it's not abandoned, I don't believe. Just hasn't been used as the EBT doesn't presently run.

Great shot, actually.
Old Today, 03:18 AM   #235
Noct Foamer

Quote:

The use of Light was exquisite, and that conveys a very strong mood, I think.

Kent in SD
Noct Foamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:24 AM   #236
KevinM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
I had to click on the shot to get it, but when I did, it made perfect sense. It's a beautiful photograph and it conveys a sense of hope even as the track looms over there on the side somewhat hard to notice at last in the thumbnail. He says "the train that may never come" as it's not abandoned, I don't believe. Just hasn't been used as the EBT doesn't presently run.

Great shot, actually.
Hi Joe,

The EBT hasn't run on that stretch since the 1950s. I suspect that in that spot, the train probably never will come. For it to run at all, we have to hope that Bill Gates or Warren Buffett will take a shine to steam railroading in their old age.

My stuff is here.

Yeah, I do Flickr too. Tons of non-RP stuff there.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:31 AM   #237
troy12n

Quote:

Image © Nick Ozorak
Photograph © Nick Ozorak
If you are criticizing that photo, maybe you need to learn more about photography, and lose the right to post in this thread...