Old 06-09-2009, 02:43 PM   #1
Freighthoover

Default Just what do they want?

As a new member I am becoming increasingly perplexed at the imprecise nature of the screeners comments, attached you will find a recent rejection that highlights the point, this has been rejected 3 times for differing reasons as follows:

First rejection Horizon Unlevel - corrected by rotating 1.2 degrees

2nd rejection No comment about horizon any longer but we now have 'Not enough colour or too much colour saturation' - Which Please! although I dont think it can be not enough colour.

3rd rejection Colour was been taken back slightly - rejected again with (once again) not enough colour or too much colour saturation, plus the image is now classed as 'undersharpened' No alteration has been made to the sharpening so one assumes that undersharpened comment was relevant at stage 1.

Equipment used was Canon 40D and the first submission was straight off the camera JPEG.

Any valued comments on how to get this past the screeners would be appreciated, please!

Secondly is their any chance of the screeners comments being altered so that they become less imprecise and provide more guidance.

John
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BNSF5515-UP2445-Cajon-150207-RP0723.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	840.6 KB
ID:	4181  
Freighthoover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 02:45 PM   #2
rathman11

Image does look soft, at least on my screen at work. With screening a couple hundred photos a day it is impossible for the screeners to get specific seeing as that would take way too long. If that were the case, your photo would most likely sit in queue for multiple days before a screener were to ever get to it.

My RP photos

Flickr Photos

Last edited by rathman11; 06-09-2009 at 02:49 PM.
rathman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 02:50 PM   #3
asis80

Send a message via AIM to asis80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freighthoover View Post
straight off the camera JPEG.
Post Process.

Ben
Old 06-09-2009, 02:55 PM   #4
JRMDC

Quote:
As a new member I am becoming increasingly perplexed at the imprecise nature of the screeners comments
Due to volume of submitted shots RP is unwilling to spend more time on individual shots to give more precise comments. That is just the way it is, it will not change. Over time they have expanded the number of possible comments (all selected by clicking on individual choices in a selection) but basically it is what it is and it will stay that way.

As a part of that, the rejection reasons do not include all possible reasons but rather one or two and then the screener is on his way. That is the way it is, not great but it isn't going to change.

Quote:
Equipment used was Canon 40D and the first submission was straight off the camera JPEG.
This does not work, you must post process, it greatly improves your chances of acceptance. I need a stronger word here. Humongously? I'm sure it has happened that direct from camera shots are accepted but the odds are very low. BTW you must have at least resized, no? If you are in the software, take a few minutes to do it right.

Quote:
Secondly is their any chance of the screeners comments being altered so that they become less imprecise and provide more guidance.
No, see above.

My observations, I am not a screener or affiliated with the site.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots

Last edited by JRMDC; 06-09-2009 at 02:57 PM.
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 03:47 PM   #5
NYSubway18

Nice shot freighthoover. If you are shooting with a 40D you almost definitely need to do some post processing. It's funny, but you usually need to do a lot less with a cheaper camera. The cheap cameras do a lot of the pp inside them, like sharpening, color balance etc. What software do you have? At the least you usually need to add some sharpening (unsharp mask in photoshop or sharpening in Aperture).

Your shot definitely needs some sharpening, and probably could use the saturation brought down a touch but it's not bad. To further frtustrate you though, you might get nailed with high sun or not enough light on the nose, but hopefully the shot is considered good enough to get past that. I like it.

It also helps if you post links to the actual rejecetions.
NYSubway18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 03:55 PM   #6
Dennis A. Livesey

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC View Post
My observations, I am not a screener or affiliated with the site.
True, but you are the most thoughtful and thorough commenter here.

Thus I think of RP and Janusz as being affiliated anyway.

I Foam Therefore I Am.

My pix on RailPics:

I am on Flickr as well:

"Dennis is such a God, he could do that with a camera obscura and some homemade acetate." Holloran Grade

"To me it looks drawn in in Paintshop. It looks like a puddle of orange on the sky." SFO777
Dennis A. Livesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 04:10 PM   #7
Dennis A. Livesey

Cool

So there you are at your computer and you've got a nice picture. You want to share and enjoy it with others. You upload your nice picture and it is:

REJECTED!

Ouch, that hurts!

So the important thing now is to wait a little, calm down, address the issues of the image, and it will get in.

Everyone of us here has gone through the same process, so we feel your pain. I as recent as my last upload.

With quality as you have shown by just one photo, I'm sure you will have a fine future here.

BTW, give us the link to the rejected photo. That way we can make the best judgment.

I Foam Therefore I Am.

My pix on RailPics:

I am on Flickr as well:

"Dennis is such a God, he could do that with a camera obscura and some homemade acetate." Holloran Grade

"To me it looks drawn in in Paintshop. It looks like a puddle of orange on the sky." SFO777
Dennis A. Livesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 04:46 PM   #8
Joe the Photog

Quote:
Originally Posted by asis80 View Post
Post Process.

Ben
No lie. Why would you expect a shot to be perfect straight off the camera? I mean, it can be really close a lot of the time, but just resizing the shot down alone will cause you to have to resharpen.
Old 06-09-2009, 04:52 PM   #9
Joe the Photog

It's a fine shot, but I think it needs a little cropper on the left so the BNSF train isn't smack dab in the center of the shot. Maybe some of the top too.
Old 06-09-2009, 05:00 PM   #10
travsirocz

Send a message via AIM to travsirocz

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYSubway18 View Post
Nice shot freighthoover. If you are shooting with a 40D you almost definitely need to do some post processing. It's funny, but you usually need to do a lot less with a cheaper camera. The cheap cameras do a lot of the pp inside them, like sharpening, color balance etc. What software do you have? At the least you usually need to add some sharpening (unsharp mask in photoshop or sharpening in Aperture).

I can set up my 40d many ways to control color, sharpening, contrast, and saturation to the jpeg if I want to.
travsirocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 05:05 PM   #11
NYSubway18

Yes, if you shoot jpeg (I only shoot RAW) - but if you have a camera as nice as a 40D (that's what I have too) why would you want to let the camera pre-determine the parameters with the same settings for every shot?
Old 06-09-2009, 05:20 PM   #12
Freighthoover

Many thanks to all who have responded (and the speed of response), some interesting comments which I will take on board, maybe I'm just a bit miffed that one of my better (to my mind) shots from the last 17 years visits to the States doesn't appear to be adequate, anyway I'll give it another go.

Concerning the linking into the rejection anyone advise me how that is done, I spent some time this afternoon but couldn't get it to work.

Once again

Thanks

John.
Old 06-09-2009, 05:21 PM   #13
Joe the Photog

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYSubway18 View Post
Yes, if you shoot jpeg (I only shoot RAW) - but if you have a camera as nice as a 40D (that's what I have too) why would y ou want to let the camera pre-determine the parameters with the same settings for every shot?
Exactly.

I'm going on a hunch, too, Travis, that you haven't uploaded many shots straight from the camera to RP, too.
Old 06-09-2009, 05:22 PM   #14
asis80

open up your rejected shot and copy the url then paste it here.

ben
Old 06-09-2009, 05:22 PM   #15
Joe the Photog

Quote:
Concerning the linking into the rejection anyone advise me how that is done, I spent some time this afternoon but couldn't get it to work.
Open the rejected picture in one window, click and copy the URL, then paste it into a message that's open in another window.
Old 06-09-2009, 05:23 PM   #16
asis80

Wow Joe, haha. You win though, typing with one hand while eating subway in the other limited me to correct grammar, haha.
Old 06-09-2009, 05:24 PM   #17
travsirocz

Send a message via AIM to travsirocz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
Exactly.

I'm going on a hunch, too, Travis, that you haven't uploaded many shots straight from the camera to RP, too.
Have you thought about being a detective?
travsirocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 06:06 PM   #18
JimThias

Quote:
Many thanks to all who have responded (and the speed of response), some interesting comments which I will take on board, maybe I'm just a bit miffed that one of my better (to my mind) shots from the last 17 years visits to the States doesn't appear to be adequate, anyway I'll give it another go.
No reason to be miffed. It just needs some slight adjustments, namely the color toned down just a tad, the shadows lightened a touch(specifically the dark side of the nose on the BNSF unit), and a small clockwise rotation. It appears to be leaning a bit to the left.

No camera is as perfect as the human eye. For that very reason, processing of some sort is necessary almost all the time.

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 06:16 PM   #19
Chase55671
RailPictures.Net Crew

Send a message via AIM to Chase55671 Send a message via MSN to Chase55671

Quote:
Originally Posted by asis80 View Post
Wow Joe, haha. You win though, typing with one hand while eating subway in the other limited me to correct grammar, haha.
Excuses Excuses.

Chase
Click here to view my photos at Railpictures.Net
SLR Night Photography Tutorial | Railpictures.Net Beginners Guide
Chase55671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 06:44 PM   #20
daveedmo

I think the point about 'Not enough colour or too much colour saturation' is a valid one. It's often not obvious which way they want you to go - surely they could split this into two rejection categories...?
daveedmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 06:46 PM   #21
Chase55671
RailPictures.Net Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveedmo View Post
I think the point about 'Not enough colour or too much colour saturation' is a valid one. It's often not obvious which way they want you to go - surely they could split this into two rejection categories...?
It's not too hard to realize if your shot has too much saturation or not enough color depth. There have been a few images where I've had problems, but generally I know if my shot looks over saturated or lacking color depth.

Chase
Old 06-09-2009, 10:49 PM   #22
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase55671 View Post
It's not too hard to realize if your shot has too much saturation or not enough color depth. There have been a few images where I've had problems, but generally I know if my shot looks over saturated or lacking color depth.

Chase
Agreed. It's like saying something is too dark or too light. USUALLY you can tell one way or the other.

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 05:16 PM   #23
Freighthoover

Herewith link to the revised and rejected final working of this file, all aspects of your comments taken into account but I simply could not reduce the colour saturation by a large amount it would not have been representative of the scene.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...d=694849&key=0

I suppose the ultimate question has to be is the pic a good representation of the fact or should one alter it to comply with the perceptions of others who were not present, think I'll stick to my own recollections on that one and hope that it is used in one of the UK mags (at least I know it has been retained here).

Once again many thanks for your advice.

John.
Old 06-10-2009, 05:48 PM   #24
NYSubway18

Well it is a nice shot. I know how you feel. I've had a couple shots that I had to brighten way beyond what reality was (1 a dark stormy day - the other inside an overhaul shop) in order to get it accepted. If I had to brighten either any further just to get it on here I would have passed as I was starting to dislike the shot myself at that point.

I think your shot has reached the point that maybe the blues and greens are undersaturated. This is where figuring it out can be tough. The greens and blues can be under while oranges and reds can easily be oversaturated.

Not sure about the undersharpened comment at this point. I see signs of oversharpening around the black line at the top of the BNSF logo and at the top of the mountain.
Old 06-10-2009, 10:54 PM   #25
Chase55671
RailPictures.Net Crew

Quote:
Herewith link to the revised and rejected final working of this file, all aspects of your comments taken into account but I simply could not reduce the colour saturation by a large amount it would not have been representative of the scene.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...d=694849&key=0

I suppose the ultimate question has to be is the pic a good representation of the fact or should one alter it to comply with the perceptions of others who were not present, think I'll stick to my own recollections on that one and hope that it is used in one of the UK mags (at least I know it has been retained here).

Once again many thanks for your advice.

John.

John, what happened to the quality? In your original post when you attached the image, the quality appeared to be top notch, but in your rejection, the quality seems to be very poor considering the image was taken with a 40D. Perhaps you're editing the image over and over instead of starting over with the original each time? If you continue to edit a photo several times without starting over with your original file, the quality seems to decrease, or at least it does with my images and GIMP.

Chase