Old 07-15-2007, 06:13 PM   #1
raider-15

Default Bad Angle?

Well, I thought the angle was interesting... so what are your opinions? Just wondering if it's worth appealing or not.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...&key=200544552

Thanks.
raider-15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 08:01 PM   #2
JRMDC

Foregrounds tend to be focal points in images, especially those where you have an extremely close foreground contrasted with a distant subject. Your focal point is grease.

Had your foreground been, say, a switchstand, you would have been OK, maybe still a problem with a big shadow area right center. But greasy dirt, that probably doesn't cut it.

I also presume the image isn't level; a yard track typically isn't superelevated. Hard to judge sometimes.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 08:18 PM   #3
Joe the Photog

Lots of uninteresting empty space in the foreground. Then there's the in your face aspect of the shot which I don't like. Not to mention the shadow is falling on the wrong side of the train and then there's that stack of rails topt the side. This imight have been better to stand back and zoom in.

Joe
Old 07-15-2007, 08:55 PM   #4
Mike B.
Banned

I vote for no appeal.

First off, it looks like you were standing in the middle of the tracks when you took the shot. I don't like it when people do that and I'm sure the employees don't like it too much either.

Like JRDMC said, the grease in the foreground is no good and that by itself can ruin the photo. Like Joe said, the shadow is in a major part of the photo, and that just isn't very pleasant to look at. That pile of whatever and the billboard are very distracting.

Plus, it's the UP and that's never good.
Mike B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 09:30 PM   #5
a231pacific

I assume you wanted the zoo billboard as an (ironic?) element in the shot, but there is just too much junk and clutter for it to work. Closing the nose door, standing a bit to the right so the palm tree doesn't look like the cab has hair and then shooting from further back with a tele to bring out the billboard all might help, but then again, there just may not be anyway to make this shot interesting!

Michael Allen
a231pacific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 04:59 AM   #6
raider-15

Thanks for your input, guys. I won't appeal it.

Mike B. - The employees don't care at all. I've asked the crews many times if I may go walk around and take photos and they don't mind me. Also, the police drive by quite often on the street next to the wye and I have never been bothered by them either - nor has anybody that I know.
raider-15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 08:10 AM   #7
MILWfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by raider-15
Thanks for your input, guys. I won't appeal it.

Mike B. - The employees don't care at all. I've asked the crews many times if I may go walk around and take photos and they don't mind me. Also, the police drive by quite often on the street next to the wye and I have never been bothered by them either - nor has anybody that I know.
I say appeal it I like it and I find in interesting