Old 11-21-2006, 04:33 AM   #1
raider-15

Default Bad Angle...

Is there anything I can possibly do to make this better? I know the photo does not show much of the train, but for some reason I still like it a lot. Any help or advice is appreciated.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreject.php?id=309167
raider-15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 07:17 AM   #2
Gordon Graham

Send a message via ICQ to Gordon Graham Send a message via MSN to Gordon Graham

I think the angle of the photo is ok ,
and it is also a common angle .

Nothing need to edit including the cropping ,
I think you should appeal this one .

The lighting is good ~
Thank you for your sharing .
Gordon Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 12:09 PM   #3
JRMDC

I am puzzled by "bad angle". To me, it needs cropping - too much sky, especially since it is solid blue, no clouds. A bit off the right and bottom also. But it's hardly objectionable, and an appeal might do as well.

"bad angle" - I don't understand!
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 01:15 PM   #4
Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Send a message via AIM to Andrew Blaszczyk (2) Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC
I am puzzled by "bad angle". To me, it needs cropping - too much sky, especially since it is solid blue, no clouds. A bit off the right and bottom also. But it's hardly objectionable, and an appeal might do as well.
Not really, this photo follows the rule of thirds. If it was the cropping I'm pretty sure the photo would have been rejected for "Bad Cropping" First off, I really like the shot even for just showing the engines. I think because it is a common angle the screener went with "Bad Angle" although I think this should have slipped in because of the power. There are much worse shots like this of boring one RR lash-ups on the site which should have gotten canned but its all up to who's pickin and chosin' at that moment. Although CSX power is common everywhere now, I think an appeal exlaining that they don't lead very often especially with two Warbonnets, "elephant-style". I also think the lighting gives this photo a little extra. Good luck!

"My camera is an artistic medium, not a tool of terrorism."

www.ab2photography.com Coming soon!
My photos on RailPictures:
http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=960
Andrew Blaszczyk (2) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 01:34 PM   #5
a231pacific

This one's a head scratcher. I don't see any bad angle here, but it could use a bit of color correcting to get the sky back to that solid blue that you mentioned. I wonder if a hurried screener just hit the wrong key? Or, he may not have liked the palm tree shadows on the two trailing units, but to me, they don't detract from the shot. I like the palm trees and the CSX and warbonnet mix.

After thinking about it a bit more, maybe they meant "bad crop." If you use the standard RP 1024 X 683 crop, you will eliminate some of the ballast in the foreground and it makes for a better shot.

Adjust your color balance and crop to 1024 X 683 and I'll bet you get in.

Michael Allen

Last edited by a231pacific; 11-21-2006 at 07:36 PM.
a231pacific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 01:48 PM   #6
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Blaszczyk (2)
Not really, this photo follows the rule of thirds. If it was the cropping I'm pretty sure the photo would have been rejected for "Bad Cropping"
Yes, and I wondered whether, as Michael suggested, the screener simply hit the wrong button.

Quote:
First off, I really like the shot even for just showing the engines. I think because it is a common angle the screener went with "Bad Angle" although I think this should have slipped in because of the power. There are much worse shots like this of boring one RR lash-ups on the site which should have gotten canned but its all up to who's pickin and chosin' at that moment. Although CSX power is common everywhere now, I think an appeal exlaining that they don't lead very often especially with two Warbonnets, "elephant-style". I also think the lighting gives this photo a little extra. Good luck!
That's good advice.
Old 11-21-2006, 01:52 PM   #7
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by a231pacific
This one's a head scratcher. I don't see any bad angle here, but it could use a bit of color correcting to get the sky back to that solid blue that you mentioned. I wonder if a hurried screener just hit the wrong key? Or, he may not have like the palm tree shadows on the two trailing units, but to me, they don't detract from the shot. I like the palm trees and the CSX and warbonnet mix.

Michael Allen
Speaking of color, what about all the brown in the ballast and trucks? Are the colors too warm, even given the time of day? Just speculating. Obviously, that has nothing to do with "bad angle." Maybe, as part of the appeal, insert a question directly into the remarks to the screener section, asking if "bad angle" was actually what was meant?
Old 11-22-2006, 12:09 AM   #8
raider-15

I lightened up the photo just a bit and resubmitted. Thank you for all the help and advice.

Image © raiderjp
PhotoID: 166018
Photograph © raiderjp
raider-15 is offline   Reply With Quote