Old 02-23-2008, 03:49 PM   #1
JackInCT

Default Locomotive Maintenance Questions

For those who know about such matters, I have some questions: do new locomotives leave the factory with the “equivalent” of an automobile type manual that specifies various types of maintenance at specific intervals? And if so, do the railroads follow them?
JackInCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 08:07 PM   #2
Burner50

Send a message via MSN to Burner50

lol... the railroads do what they want...

Uncle Pete figures that if he doesnt change the 50 gallons of oil, just the filter and adds an additive, by the time the engine dies, he has saved enough money to pay for an overhaul.
Burner50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 02:10 AM   #3
30db+

Hahaha maintenence??? whats that,im lucky if my garbage bag is changed!! Well in Canada anyways,there is such a shortage on decent power,there isnt even a lease to be snapped up
30db+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 01:30 PM   #4
J

Locomotives, like a new automobile, have maintenance requirements and warranties. When you consider that a modern 6-axle can hold more than 400 gallons of lube oil, it makes sense to leave it in service as long as possible. Even in bulk purchases, that is a lot of money spread over a few thousand locomotives.

Railroads have been taking regular oil samples for decades and can often spot a problem long before there is an equipment failure. Bearings, piston rings, cyliniders, etc. all have unique metal properties which can show up in an oil analysis.
J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 03:32 PM   #5
Burner50

whoops... I forgot a zero...

I said 50 gallons and meant 500
Old 02-25-2008, 07:35 PM   #6
Peter MacCauley

Locomotives on most railroads (it might even be an FRA madate) must be inspected every 90 days. Usually they are moved to a shop/maintenance base for this, and any repairs usually occur at this time. I think railroads use this only as a "guideline", and, like previously mentioned, generally perform maintenance whenever it suits them!

See my RP photos at:http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=18537
Peter MacCauley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 09:51 PM   #7
Burner50

not sure what kind of an "insptection" that is but afaik the rule is annual inspections by mechanical forces and daily "inspections" by an engineer
Old 02-25-2008, 10:11 PM   #8
Tåg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burner50
"inspections" by an engineer
You mean walking through the consist and signing the cards?
Old 03-02-2008, 10:13 PM   #9
J

FRA has requirements for daily and "periodic" or 92-day inspections. This practice stems from old ICC boiler inspection requirements. Modern microprocessor locomotives (60-series / Dash 8's and newer) have a lot of self-diagnosic features but the federal requirements remain the same.
J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 04:25 AM   #10
Burner50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tåg
You mean walking through the consist and signing the cards?

It is supposed to be alot more in depth than that, Check the horn, bell, lights, fuel, measure piston travel, etc...
Old 03-03-2008, 11:33 AM   #11
rahul.v.rao

Send a message via MSN to rahul.v.rao Send a message via Yahoo to rahul.v.rao

World over every locomotive manufacturer recommends a maintenance interval which will vary according to operational as well as climatic conditions.
In India (where I stay) the older locomotives had a 7 day or a 10 Day maintenance schedule. This has slowly and steadily improved and the new generation locomotives have a 90 day maintenance schedule. Older locomotives also have their sumps enlarged and bearings and other such components improved so that their schedule can be extended to 15 Days.
Schedules and links are such that each and every locomotive comes back to its home shed once in 15 Days and is inspected.
Oil changes were needed every 7 day or 3000 Km in 1957. Now a days with improvement in on board filteration (which filters oil to almost like new oil condition) this has been changed to 180 Days or 160000 km (100000 miles) Some of the workshop engineers say that oil which they change is still good enough for further use but they have to follow the rules and change it.
Oil samples are drawn directly from the sump (top sample and bottom sample) and also from the centrifugal filter and magnetic prefilter for checking every 15 days. Inspecting this oil residue can give lot of information about wear and tear in the engine. The control microprocessor also gives a self diagnosis of any problem and the units history. This is also down loaded for the shed's master records every 90 Days.
rahul.v.rao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 05:48 PM   #12
Tåg

Quote:
It is supposed to be alot more in depth than that, Check the horn, bell, lights, fuel, measure piston travel, etc...
I have done my fair share of 31.2 inspections. I am an engineer on a Class 1 carrier.

Last edited by Tåg; 03-04-2008 at 05:52 PM.
Tåg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 09:52 AM   #13
rahul.v.rao

Send a message via MSN to rahul.v.rao Send a message via Yahoo to rahul.v.rao

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tåg
I have done my fair share of 31.2 inspections. I am an engineer on a Class 1 carrier.
Then I think that you will be able to tell us all about maintenance schedules better than any one else. Power packs world over are basically the same so engine maintenance should also be the same.
DLW in India uses the GM's 16-710 G3B powerpack which is also used by EMD in the US.

Last edited by rahul.v.rao; 03-08-2008 at 09:59 AM.
rahul.v.rao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 06:38 PM   #14
Burner50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tåg

Toot your own horn all you like but I do work for the same railroad you do...

I was simply pointing out that there is more to it than walking thru and signing the cards.
Old 03-09-2008, 03:29 AM   #15
Tåg

Quote:
Toot your own horn all you like but I do work for the same railroad you do...

I was simply pointing out that there is more to it than walking thru and signing the cards.
I know we are coworkers. I was making a joke. Lighten up jeez.
Old 03-09-2008, 08:29 AM   #16
medic_pilot

So, for the engineer who completes the daily inspection, does he/she have a written record or log to show the checks were completed?
medic_pilot is offline   Reply With Quote