Old 11-16-2009, 01:14 PM   #1
ns4eva

Question Appeal: Similar to Previous Photo?

Hey guys,

I just got a rejection I feel that might be worth an appeal and was wanting to see if others think it might be worth a try.

The photo go nabbed for "Similar to Previous Photo":
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...d=752451&key=0

I have viewed pretty much every photo so far from the Lerro Production Roanoke shoot and only came up with one that MIGHT could have been the reason for the rejection however I see mine as being much different (I wont link to the photo(s) as I don't feel like poking at someone directly). I will note their photo is black/white, mine is color, angle is somewhat different, different actors, my photo includes more smoke, etc.
Old 11-16-2009, 01:27 PM   #2
asis80

Send a message via AIM to asis80

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphot...=304144&nseq=4 I'm guessing?

Although there is one more human element in yours, they do look similar to me. What really sticks out is the obstructed number board on the 1218, they are both the same. I do think though, if you give it a few days, or even a week, submit it again and I think I'll be seeing it in the database. Both are very nice, all you guys who went to Roanoke did an excellent job.

Ben
Old 11-16-2009, 04:08 PM   #3
Joe the Photog

Quote:
Originally Posted by asis80 View Post
What really sticks out is the obstructed number board on the 1218.....
This was literally the first thing I noticed. I'm a 1218 guy, so I thought I might be biased. I haven't seen every single shot from Roanoke on here, so I can't comment on the STP. But like Ben said, give it some time and if it's not seriously the same exact view, it might get in. Myself, I'd probably wait to submitt just to let the others get their views first unless I somehow had a sure fire winner than somehow no one else got. Not likely.

Last edited by Joe the Photog; 11-16-2009 at 04:16 PM.
Joe the Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 04:38 PM   #4
ns4eva

Thanks for the replies so far guys! I think I will take the advise given so far and hold on to it for a week to a month and give it another try when all of the charter uploads begin to die down some.

This will give me a little more time to look it over and see if I spot anything else that might need some adjusting on it while trying to prepare some others (if I have any other good ones as this was my first time with night photography and actually having my camera set to manual). Got one accepted so far though
Old 11-16-2009, 04:53 PM   #5
Walter S

Send a message via AIM to Walter S

Quote:
Originally Posted by ns4eva View Post
(if I have any other good ones as this was my first time with night photography and actually having my camera set to manual). Got one accepted so far though

Good job for your first time, now you just need to start using manual all the time! You will get the settings down real fast if you keep at it.
Old 11-16-2009, 04:57 PM   #6
KevinM

This type of issue often occurs during railfan events, but it has been my experience that RP is usually reasonably tolerant of similar shots as long as it doesn't get out of hand. I usually watch what's going up and try to post different angles, if I have some. If I have something I really like and someone has already posted a similar shot, I hold it for later as others have suggested.

If you really feel that your shot doesn't duplicate another in the data base, you can also appeal. Be prepared to point out to the Admins the differences (angle, elements, color vs b&w etc). Remember, these folks sometimes screen hundreds of shots per day. They don't have time to stare and compare every possible set of duplicates. If your shot is distinctly unique, the appeal will likely be accepted.

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 05:04 PM   #7
ns4eva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter S View Post
Good job for your first time, now you just need to start using manual all the time! You will get the settings down real fast if you keep at it.
Thank you for the kind words Walter! I do plan to try manual settings more so in the future (when not in "chase mode") as well as try my hand in using RAW files more (my accepted photo and rejected photo were also my first time working with RAW).
Old 11-16-2009, 05:12 PM   #8
ns4eva

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM View Post
This type of issue often occurs during railfan events, but it has been my experience that RP is usually reasonably tolerant of similar shots as long as it doesn't get out of hand. I usually watch what's going up and try to post different angles, if I have some. If I have something I really like and someone has already posted a similar shot, I hold it for later as others have suggested.

If you really feel that your shot doesn't duplicate another in the data base, you can also appeal. Be prepared to point out to the Admins the differences (angle, elements, color vs b&w etc). Remember, these folks sometimes screen hundreds of shots per day. They don't have time to stare and compare every possible set of duplicates. If your shot is distinctly unique, the appeal will likely be accepted.
Thank you for your reply Kevin! I plan, for now, to hold on to it till the charter uploads begin to die down and then give it another try. If it is still rejected for the same reason again, then I will try to appeal it and point out every difference I can find between mine and others as you suggested (if I don't put a comment to the screener about it when I try again) and take it from there. If accepted, then excellent, if not, I always have my RRPictureArchives account where I might get 20 views.

Last edited by ns4eva; 11-16-2009 at 05:14 PM. Reason: Spelling
ns4eva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 05:18 PM   #9
trainboysd40

Send a message via MSN to trainboysd40

Your subjects seem awkwardly cut off.
Obligatory link to shots on RP, HERE
trainboysd40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 07:02 PM   #10
ns4eva

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainboysd40 View Post
Your subjects seem awkwardly cut off.
I maybe wrong (not at my personal computer at the moment) but I think that the reason I done that was because the place I could actually get myself into the photoline, if I were to take the photo to their feet you would have seen the end of the rails in front of the 1218 if trying to show the nose of the 611 in the background, so a cut at the knees was more ideal (to me anyways).

I'll check into it when I get home and ponder on it unless you have a suggestion of an area up higher on them to crop, although you would lose the bottom of the 611 if that were done. Not the easiest to take photos with everyone and everything bunched up under a pavilion.

Last edited by ns4eva; 11-16-2009 at 07:08 PM. Reason: Added last statement.
ns4eva is offline   Reply With Quote