Old 02-05-2009, 10:50 PM   #1
Ween

Default How did this get accepted?!?!? Gosh!

This one's for BNSFfan4life...

How did this one get in:
Image © Chris Paulhamus
PhotoID: 270257
Photograph © Chris Paulhamus

Afterall, it was taken with a sub-$180 7MP Point n Shoot (Canon SD1000) and it was a total grab shot.

Was it accepted because I'm me? Or because I'm an Elite member? Or maybe the screeners just love seeing those naked-nose MACs leading (or, trailing, I guess in this case...these are DPUs) new power?

Or maybe it was accepted based solely on the fact that it's a well lit, decently composed and balanced shot, and processed to a decent degree?

The point being, it doesn't matter who took the shot, what equpiment took the shot, whether or not the photographer is an Elite member or not, the geographic location (i.e. east coast or west coast), or any other tinfoil hat theory out there about how RP is biased toward certain individuals/equpiment/locations/etc...if it's good enough, it'll get in.*

*99% of the time, anyway!
Old 02-05-2009, 10:56 PM   #2
JimThias

Yeah, how the hell did this get in...high sun!

Image © Jim Thias
PhotoID: 270415
Photograph © Jim Thias

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 12:04 AM   #3
Ween

Conspiracy! You must have taken that shot from a Grassy Knoll...
Old 02-06-2009, 02:04 AM   #4
khalucha

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias

Image © Jim Thias
Photograph © Jim Thias

I think that is a good shot. The Engine really stands out like 3D!

Webshot Photos

flickr stuff
khalucha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 02:06 AM   #5
jnohallman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ween
The point being, it doesn't matter who took the shot, what equpiment took the shot, whether or not the photographer is an Elite member or not, the geographic location (i.e. east coast or west coast), or any other tinfoil hat theory out there about how RP is biased toward certain individuals/equpiment/locations/etc...if it's good enough, it'll get in.*

*99% of the time, anyway!
While I certainly disagreed with BNSF fan over his post, I (and I'm sure many others) understand at least some of his frustration. I think the crux of the matter is what you say right at the end - if it's good enough, it will get in. The challenge for a lot of us, especially those of us just getting started here, is in figuring out what "good enough" is. It's easy for someone to say "spend some time looking at the database and you'll figure it out" but that doesn't really cover it. Just look at the post a little ways down titled "Nice Tree Line". Is that really good enough? It got in, didn't it?

Part of what makes it difficult is that the rejection notices don't come with any feedback. So backlit is bad (except when it isn't - and there are plenty of backlit photos in the DB). Not enough nose light is bad (except when it isn't - see all the shots with half-lit noses in the DB). Bad color (but which is it, too much or not enough saturation - they never tell you). Bad contrast (same deal). Now, the administrators of this site have every right to set whatever standards they want - it is their site after all. It would just be nice to know exactly what those standards are - a FAQ maybe? Having to guess every time you look at a picture you want to submit, edit it to chase whatever the standard is, and then getting it rejected without being able to completely put your finger on why - it gets frustrating.

Jon

Click here to see my photos on RP.net!

Do not, under any circumstances whatsoever, click here. Don't even think about it. I'm warning you!
jnohallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 02:23 AM   #6
Ween

Quote:
Having to guess every time you look at a picture you want to submit, edit it to chase whatever the standard is, and then getting it rejected without being able to completely put your finger on why - it gets frustrating.
I can't argue that, but I can say that the screener's don't make people frustrated...the people who get frustrated are the ones in charge of how they react. Getting frustrated does not justify saying there's a screener bias based on the photographer, the equipment, where the shots are taken, etc.

There are many, many, many folks who have 'figured it out,' so are they all in on the 'conspiracy?'
Old 02-06-2009, 02:33 AM   #7
milwman
I shoot what I like

Send a message via Yahoo to milwman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnohallman
it gets frustrating.
Jon
I say it's the odd ball shots that make it worth looking at. Pushing the limits is what makes a good photographer a great one by going the extra steps to get the shot, be it light or location.

Don't worry about if your shot will or will not get in as thats not the point of what we do. I have a ton of shots that wont get in as there just not what they want, but may fit a story line in a show I may put it in someday.

Some of the screening is just off and odd ball at times, but with 4 or 5 screeners you will get different wants or likes.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22299476@N05/

Last edited by milwman; 02-06-2009 at 02:36 AM.
milwman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 02:34 AM   #8
jnohallman

Quote:
I can't argue that, but I can say that the screener's don't make people frustrated...the people who get frustrated are the ones in charge of how they react. Getting frustrated does not justify saying there's a screener bias based on the photographer, the equipment, where the shots are taken, etc.

There are many, many, many folks who have 'figured it out,' so are they all in on the 'conspiracy?'
As I said at the beginning of my post, I disagreed with what BNSFfan said. I'm not claiming there's a consipiracy, and I'm not saying the screeners "make" people frustrated. But folks who are legitmately trying their best to correct and improve their photos shouldn't be dismissed for getting frustrated. Now, maybe there are people who shouldn't be trying to get things posted here if they aren't willing to accept the screeners' standards - I can go along with that.

Jon

Do not, under any circumstances whatsoever, click here. Don't even think about it. I'm warning you!
Old 02-06-2009, 06:47 AM   #9
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnohallman
As I said at the beginning of my post, I disagreed with what BNSFfan said. I'm not claiming there's a consipiracy, and I'm not saying the screeners "make" people frustrated. But folks who are legitmately trying their best to correct and improve their photos shouldn't be dismissed for getting frustrated.
Agree 100%. But it's people like BNSFfan and their wild conspiracy theories that are being mocked. Those who are honestly trying to better their photographic skills are met with a welcome, helping hand here.

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
Old 02-06-2009, 07:16 AM   #10
Ween

Quote:
Those who are honestly trying to better their photographic skills are met with a welcome, helping hand here.
Like Jen-Ben. They haven't dropped the "Screeners hate couples" card because they got some rejections...
Old 02-06-2009, 07:17 AM   #11
JimThias

Quote:
Like Jen-Ben.
You've got it all wrong...it's "BENNIFER."

Old 02-06-2009, 05:59 PM   #12
lock4244

Quote:

Image © Jim Thias
Photograph © Jim Thias
Cause it's a great shot.

Insert witty comment here

Hot girl on girl action here!

More Pics Here

Last edited by lock4244; 02-06-2009 at 06:01 PM.
lock4244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 09:59 PM   #13
blueeyeddevil06

Send a message via AIM to blueeyeddevil06 Send a message via Yahoo to blueeyeddevil06

Quote:
You've got it all wrong...it's "BENNIFER."

I love you guys but it's "JENJAMIN".

My railpictures!

My Fiance's railpictures!
blueeyeddevil06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 11:24 AM   #14
MichaelJ
The Photo Journalist

There are many people who claim that RailPictures has a bias toward American photos. Everyday when I log on, there is a significant number of accepted American photos. Is that because RailPictures is American? Is it because the majority of members are American?

It would be interesting to see some rejection statistics. What is the total number of American vs Australian submissions? What is the number of American vs Australian rejections? Are they similar? Does it appear that more American photos are accepted simply because more American photos are submitted?

That will tell us if there's a bias ...

The views expressed in this reply are personal and do not represent the views or policy of my employer.
MichaelJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 11:39 AM   #15
milwman
I shoot what I like

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJ
There are many people who claim that RailPictures has a bias toward American photos. Everyday when I log on, there is a significant number of accepted American photos. Is that because RailPictures is American? Is it because the majority of members are American?

I have to say most fans I know here in the states don't look at the over seas photo's , not that there bad just not what they like. I live in the Midwest and I wont get the views a photo in the West would have gotten.
I think their fare with the over seas photo's as if they wore trying to keep them off you wouldn't see one shot on here and there and there name would be USRP?

Last edited by milwman; 02-09-2009 at 11:59 AM.
Old 02-09-2009, 01:18 PM   #16
JimThias

Quote:
There are many people who claim that RailPictures has a bias toward American photos. Everyday when I log on, there is a significant number of accepted American photos. Is that because RailPictures is American? Is it because the majority of members are American?.
Yes, definitely because the bulk of photos submitted to RP are from American photographers/railroads. However, I see PLENTY of non-American shots accepted to the database every day (and it seems like it's increasing) to prove to me that there is no bias. A good photo is a good photo no matter WHERE it was taken.

Old 02-09-2009, 01:35 PM   #17
woody_k
still learnin'

Iwas surprised that this shot of mine made it in the DB. I was all prepped for the rejection cuz of the shadow. BTW it was taken with a Nikon S210. I was out on my motorcycle in the canyon and just happened to stop at this spot, heard the train comin', grabbed the S210 out of my pocket and snapped the shot. I wasn't an Elite member yet.

I have a great 8 engine consist shot all running nose to tail that I took wiht this camera also but can't get in in due to forground clutter. If I croped it then I would lose some of the engines or it would be out of pixel specs, so it's just mine.

The point being a well composed and well lit shot will always make it in the DB regardless of membership.

EDIT: That was suppose to be an image I guess I used the wrong code.

Click Here to view my photos at RailPictures.Net!

Another site where I only upload what I think is the better images Flickr

Last edited by woody_k; 02-09-2009 at 01:38 PM.
woody_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 01:48 PM   #18
Carl Becker

Since the shadow doesn't come near the train, I don't really see any issues, and apparently neither did they. Good shot.

~Carl Becker
Old 02-09-2009, 02:14 PM   #19
JRMDC

Quote:
Yes, RP is American and a majority of members are American, I think.

I've had no trouble getting non-North America pictures on and then viewed. My recent set from Brussels, uploaded July-Oct 2008, averages over 600 views each.

That said, I think that there is a significant fraction of viewers who simply won't click on a non-North America picture. I can't prove it but that is my suspicion. My recent pair of plane-Jane Amtraks are over 800, for example, despite being uploaded more recently, in December.

I feel bad for the people uploading Thailand shots, they don't seem to get many views. But then the shots I am thinking of are basic wedgies and they won't get either the North-America-only crowd or the interesting-composition crowd.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 02:23 PM   #20
milwman
I shoot what I like

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC
Yes, RP is American and a majority of members are American, I think.

I feel bad for the people uploading Thailand shots, they don't seem to get many views. But then the shots I am thinking of are basic wedgies and they won't get either the North-America-only crowd or the interesting-composition crowd.
I am looking the over seas shots more now than before, a train is a train exsep in GB there to small LOL sorry

Old 02-09-2009, 03:40 PM   #21
jdirelan87

I probably click on maybe 5% of all North American shots uploaded and maybe .5% (or less) of all non-North American shots posted.

Not only do I have no interest in looking at non-North American train pictures, the only place I would consider traveling abroad for railroad photography is Western Australia (because those Iron Ore roads use North American GEs).

I am so uninterested in non-North American trains that if I ever found myself in another country standing next to a set of tracks camera in hand and a train came, I doubt I would even take a picture.

Virtually every railfan I know shares the exact same opinion.

Last edited by jdirelan87; 02-09-2009 at 03:44 PM.
jdirelan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 04:51 PM   #22
Freericks
Met Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdirelan87
I probably click on maybe 5% of all North American shots uploaded and maybe .5% (or less) of all non-North American shots posted.

Not only do I have no interest in looking at non-North American train pictures, the only place I would consider traveling abroad for railroad photography is Western Australia (because those Iron Ore roads use North American GEs).

I am so uninterested in non-North American trains that if I ever found myself in another country standing next to a set of tracks camera in hand and a train came, I doubt I would even take a picture.

Virtually every railfan I know shares the exact same opinion.
And I am fascinated by the railroads of the world and love to travel and see them and photograph them.

To each his own.
Freericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 06:49 PM   #23
jnohallman

I find the debate over North American interest in non-North American photos kind of interesting. I have to admit that I click on relatively few photos to begin with, North American or "foreign." If a photo looks visually interesting, I'll click on it, certainly. Otherwise, I'm far more likely to click on a photo of steam than diesel or electric. As far as "foreign" photos go, I don't think of myself as biased against them - the same criteria apply. The possible exception is photos of French equipment - I've never been a particular fan of the French railroad aesthetic. Of course, as my supervisor's sister once said (note, she's English) "I don't like the French. I don't think anybody does, really."

Jon

Old 02-09-2009, 06:52 PM   #24
mw25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freericks
And I am fascinated by the railroads of the world and love to travel and see them and photograph them.

To each his own.
I'm with Freericks on this one. It didn't always used to be this way, but I would say about half of the photos I click on now are North American shots and the other half are from elsewhere in the world. Perhaps it's because I am generally more interested in seeing the surroundings/scenery that trains operate in rather than the particular equipment used. Whatever the case, I find RP to be a nice way for me to "travel" to a lot of far-flung places that I realistically will never be able to get to.

So to the non-North American posters, keep your photos coming! I appreciate them.

Click here for my photos on RailPictures.net
Click here for my photos on Flickr
mw25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 09:32 PM   #25
WisconsinCentral

I agree with John. Its not that I dont think that the people from other countries dont take nice shots, but the fact is, I really dont find any of the power over there interesting to look at. Plus, the trains are shorter, not too much variety in terms of consists (including rolling stock) either. Ive never found anything but maybe Brazil stuff interesting. We are all big boys here, no need to say "I really enjoy all shots, not just USA ones" when you dont. Im not saying that Rpics should stop accepting the foriegn stuff, but I know there is a pretty legitimate reason why many of those shots dont have many views.

Alec