Old 02-05-2009, 10:50 PM   #1
Ween
Senior Member
 
Ween's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 4,861
Default How did this get accepted?!?!? Gosh!

This one's for BNSFfan4life...

How did this one get in:
Image © Chris Paulhamus
PhotoID: 270257
Photograph © Chris Paulhamus


Afterall, it was taken with a sub-$180 7MP Point n Shoot (Canon SD1000) and it was a total grab shot.

Was it accepted because I'm me? Or because I'm an Elite member? Or maybe the screeners just love seeing those naked-nose MACs leading (or, trailing, I guess in this case...these are DPUs) new power?

Or maybe it was accepted based solely on the fact that it's a well lit, decently composed and balanced shot, and processed to a decent degree?

The point being, it doesn't matter who took the shot, what equpiment took the shot, whether or not the photographer is an Elite member or not, the geographic location (i.e. east coast or west coast), or any other tinfoil hat theory out there about how RP is biased toward certain individuals/equpiment/locations/etc...if it's good enough, it'll get in.*










*99% of the time, anyway!
__________________
Ween is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 10:56 PM   #2
JimThias
Senior Member
 
JimThias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 9,773
Default

Yeah, how the hell did this get in...high sun!

Image © Jim Thias
PhotoID: 270415
Photograph © Jim Thias
__________________
.
Rhymes with slice, rice and mice, and probably should be spelled like "Tice."

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 12:04 AM   #3
Ween
Senior Member
 
Ween's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 4,861
Default

Conspiracy! You must have taken that shot from a Grassy Knoll...
__________________
Ween is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 02:04 AM   #4
khalucha
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Posts: 425
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias
Yeah, how the hell did this get in...high sun!

Image © Jim Thias
PhotoID: 270415
Photograph © Jim Thias

I think that is a good shot. The Engine really stands out like 3D!
__________________
Kevin
Phoenix, Arizona

Webshot Photos

flickr stuff
khalucha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 02:06 AM   #5
jnohallman
Senior Member
 
jnohallman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,527
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ween
The point being, it doesn't matter who took the shot, what equpiment took the shot, whether or not the photographer is an Elite member or not, the geographic location (i.e. east coast or west coast), or any other tinfoil hat theory out there about how RP is biased toward certain individuals/equpiment/locations/etc...if it's good enough, it'll get in.*


*99% of the time, anyway!
While I certainly disagreed with BNSF fan over his post, I (and I'm sure many others) understand at least some of his frustration. I think the crux of the matter is what you say right at the end - if it's good enough, it will get in. The challenge for a lot of us, especially those of us just getting started here, is in figuring out what "good enough" is. It's easy for someone to say "spend some time looking at the database and you'll figure it out" but that doesn't really cover it. Just look at the post a little ways down titled "Nice Tree Line". Is that really good enough? It got in, didn't it?

Part of what makes it difficult is that the rejection notices don't come with any feedback. So backlit is bad (except when it isn't - and there are plenty of backlit photos in the DB). Not enough nose light is bad (except when it isn't - see all the shots with half-lit noses in the DB). Bad color (but which is it, too much or not enough saturation - they never tell you). Bad contrast (same deal). Now, the administrators of this site have every right to set whatever standards they want - it is their site after all. It would just be nice to know exactly what those standards are - a FAQ maybe? Having to guess every time you look at a picture you want to submit, edit it to chase whatever the standard is, and then getting it rejected without being able to completely put your finger on why - it gets frustrating.

Jon
__________________
"Everybody talks about the weather, but nobody does anything about it." - Mark Twain

Click here to see my photos on RP.net!

Do not, under any circumstances whatsoever, click here. Don't even think about it. I'm warning you!
jnohallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 02:23 AM   #6
Ween
Senior Member
 
Ween's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 4,861
Default

Quote:
Having to guess every time you look at a picture you want to submit, edit it to chase whatever the standard is, and then getting it rejected without being able to completely put your finger on why - it gets frustrating.
I can't argue that, but I can say that the screener's don't make people frustrated...the people who get frustrated are the ones in charge of how they react. Getting frustrated does not justify saying there's a screener bias based on the photographer, the equipment, where the shots are taken, etc.

There are many, many, many folks who have 'figured it out,' so are they all in on the 'conspiracy?'
__________________
Ween is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 02:33 AM   #7
milwman
I shoot what I like
 
milwman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Cedar Fall's, Iowa
Posts: 2,474
Send a message via Yahoo to milwman
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnohallman
it gets frustrating.
Jon
I say it's the odd ball shots that make it worth looking at. Pushing the limits is what makes a good photographer a great one by going the extra steps to get the shot, be it light or location.

Don't worry about if your shot will or will not get in as thats not the point of what we do. I have a ton of shots that wont get in as there just not what they want, but may fit a story line in a show I may put it in someday.

Some of the screening is just off and odd ball at times, but with 4 or 5 screeners you will get different wants or likes.
__________________
Richard Scott Marsh I go by Scott long story

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22299476@N05/

Last edited by milwman; 02-06-2009 at 02:36 AM.
milwman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 02:34 AM   #8
jnohallman
Senior Member
 
jnohallman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,527
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ween
I can't argue that, but I can say that the screener's don't make people frustrated...the people who get frustrated are the ones in charge of how they react. Getting frustrated does not justify saying there's a screener bias based on the photographer, the equipment, where the shots are taken, etc.

There are many, many, many folks who have 'figured it out,' so are they all in on the 'conspiracy?'
As I said at the beginning of my post, I disagreed with what BNSFfan said. I'm not claiming there's a consipiracy, and I'm not saying the screeners "make" people frustrated. But folks who are legitmately trying their best to correct and improve their photos shouldn't be dismissed for getting frustrated. Now, maybe there are people who shouldn't be trying to get things posted here if they aren't willing to accept the screeners' standards - I can go along with that.

Jon
__________________
"Everybody talks about the weather, but nobody does anything about it." - Mark Twain

Click here to see my photos on RP.net!

Do not, under any circumstances whatsoever, click here. Don't even think about it. I'm warning you!
jnohallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 06:47 AM   #9
JimThias
Senior Member
 
JimThias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 9,773
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnohallman
As I said at the beginning of my post, I disagreed with what BNSFfan said. I'm not claiming there's a consipiracy, and I'm not saying the screeners "make" people frustrated. But folks who are legitmately trying their best to correct and improve their photos shouldn't be dismissed for getting frustrated.
Agree 100%. But it's people like BNSFfan and their wild conspiracy theories that are being mocked. Those who are honestly trying to better their photographic skills are met with a welcome, helping hand here.
__________________
.
Rhymes with slice, rice and mice, and probably should be spelled like "Tice."

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 07:16 AM   #10
Ween
Senior Member
 
Ween's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 4,861
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias
Those who are honestly trying to better their photographic skills are met with a welcome, helping hand here.
Like Jen-Ben. They haven't dropped the "Screeners hate couples" card because they got some rejections...
__________________
Ween is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 07:17 AM   #11
JimThias
Senior Member
 
JimThias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 9,773
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ween
Like Jen-Ben.
You've got it all wrong...it's "BENNIFER."

__________________
.
Rhymes with slice, rice and mice, and probably should be spelled like "Tice."

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 05:59 PM   #12
lock4244
Senior Member
 
lock4244's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: The City Below Vaughan
Posts: 1,047
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias
Yeah, how the hell did this get in...high sun!

Image © Jim Thias
PhotoID: 270415
Photograph © Jim Thias
Cause it's a great shot.
__________________
Mike Lockwood

Insert witty comment here

Hot girl on girl action here!

More Pics Here

Last edited by lock4244; 02-06-2009 at 06:01 PM.
lock4244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 09:59 PM   #13
blueeyeddevil06
Member
 
blueeyeddevil06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Belle Vernon, PA
Posts: 81
Send a message via AIM to blueeyeddevil06 Send a message via Yahoo to blueeyeddevil06
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias
You've got it all wrong...it's "BENNIFER."

I love you guys but it's "JENJAMIN".
__________________
--Jennifer L. Hickman

My railpictures!

My Fiance's railpictures!
blueeyeddevil06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 11:24 AM   #14
MichaelJ
The Photo Journalist
 
MichaelJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Sydney, NSW
Posts: 630
Default

There are many people who claim that RailPictures has a bias toward American photos. Everyday when I log on, there is a significant number of accepted American photos. Is that because RailPictures is American? Is it because the majority of members are American?

It would be interesting to see some rejection statistics. What is the total number of American vs Australian submissions? What is the number of American vs Australian rejections? Are they similar? Does it appear that more American photos are accepted simply because more American photos are submitted?

That will tell us if there's a bias ...
__________________
My portfolio at RailPictures.Net!
My portfolio at Flickr!

The views expressed in this reply are personal and do not represent the views or policy of my employer.
MichaelJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 11:39 AM   #15
milwman
I shoot what I like
 
milwman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Cedar Fall's, Iowa
Posts: 2,474
Send a message via Yahoo to milwman
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJ
There are many people who claim that RailPictures has a bias toward American photos. Everyday when I log on, there is a significant number of accepted American photos. Is that because RailPictures is American? Is it because the majority of members are American?


I have to say most fans I know here in the states don't look at the over seas photo's , not that there bad just not what they like. I live in the Midwest and I wont get the views a photo in the West would have gotten.
I think their fare with the over seas photo's as if they wore trying to keep them off you wouldn't see one shot on here and there and there name would be USRP?
__________________
Richard Scott Marsh I go by Scott long story

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22299476@N05/

Last edited by milwman; 02-09-2009 at 11:59 AM.
milwman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 01:18 PM   #16
JimThias
Senior Member
 
JimThias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 9,773
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJ
There are many people who claim that RailPictures has a bias toward American photos. Everyday when I log on, there is a significant number of accepted American photos. Is that because RailPictures is American? Is it because the majority of members are American?.
Yes, definitely because the bulk of photos submitted to RP are from American photographers/railroads. However, I see PLENTY of non-American shots accepted to the database every day (and it seems like it's increasing) to prove to me that there is no bias. A good photo is a good photo no matter WHERE it was taken.
__________________
.
Rhymes with slice, rice and mice, and probably should be spelled like "Tice."

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 01:35 PM   #17
woody_k
still learnin'
 
woody_k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Beaumont, ca
Posts: 83
Default

Iwas surprised that this shot of mine made it in the DB. I was all prepped for the rejection cuz of the shadow. BTW it was taken with a Nikon S210. I was out on my motorcycle in the canyon and just happened to stop at this spot, heard the train comin', grabbed the S210 out of my pocket and snapped the shot. I wasn't an Elite member yet.




I have a great 8 engine consist shot all running nose to tail that I took wiht this camera also but can't get in in due to forground clutter. If I croped it then I would lose some of the engines or it would be out of pixel specs, so it's just mine.

The point being a well composed and well lit shot will always make it in the DB regardless of membership.

EDIT: That was suppose to be an image I guess I used the wrong code.
__________________
Ken Woodford


Click Here to view my photos at RailPictures.Net!

Another site where I only upload what I think is the better images Flickr

Last edited by woody_k; 02-09-2009 at 01:38 PM.
woody_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 01:48 PM   #18
Carl Becker
Senior Member
 
Carl Becker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,218
Default

Since the shadow doesn't come near the train, I don't really see any issues, and apparently neither did they. Good shot.

~Carl Becker
__________________
- My photos at RailPictures.net
- My videos at Rail-Videos.net
Carl Becker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 02:14 PM   #19
JRMDC
Senior Member
 
JRMDC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 11,201
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJ
There are many people who claim that RailPictures has a bias toward American photos. Everyday when I log on, there is a significant number of accepted American photos. Is that because RailPictures is American? Is it because the majority of members are American?
Yes, RP is American and a majority of members are American, I think.

I've had no trouble getting non-North America pictures on and then viewed. My recent set from Brussels, uploaded July-Oct 2008, averages over 600 views each.

That said, I think that there is a significant fraction of viewers who simply won't click on a non-North America picture. I can't prove it but that is my suspicion. My recent pair of plane-Jane Amtraks are over 800, for example, despite being uploaded more recently, in December.

I feel bad for the people uploading Thailand shots, they don't seem to get many views. But then the shots I am thinking of are basic wedgies and they won't get either the North-America-only crowd or the interesting-composition crowd.
__________________
My RP pix are here.
My Flickr pix are here.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 02:23 PM   #20
milwman
I shoot what I like
 
milwman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Cedar Fall's, Iowa
Posts: 2,474
Send a message via Yahoo to milwman
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC
Yes, RP is American and a majority of members are American, I think.


I feel bad for the people uploading Thailand shots, they don't seem to get many views. But then the shots I am thinking of are basic wedgies and they won't get either the North-America-only crowd or the interesting-composition crowd.
I am looking the over seas shots more now than before, a train is a train exsep in GB there to small LOL sorry
__________________
Richard Scott Marsh I go by Scott long story

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22299476@N05/
milwman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 03:40 PM   #21
jdirelan87
Senior Member
 
jdirelan87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Metro DC
Posts: 725
Default

I probably click on maybe 5% of all North American shots uploaded and maybe .5% (or less) of all non-North American shots posted.

Not only do I have no interest in looking at non-North American train pictures, the only place I would consider traveling abroad for railroad photography is Western Australia (because those Iron Ore roads use North American GEs).

I am so uninterested in non-North American trains that if I ever found myself in another country standing next to a set of tracks camera in hand and a train came, I doubt I would even take a picture.

Virtually every railfan I know shares the exact same opinion.

Last edited by jdirelan87; 02-09-2009 at 03:44 PM.
jdirelan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 04:51 PM   #22
Freericks
Met Fan
 
Freericks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 4,038
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdirelan87
I probably click on maybe 5% of all North American shots uploaded and maybe .5% (or less) of all non-North American shots posted.

Not only do I have no interest in looking at non-North American train pictures, the only place I would consider traveling abroad for railroad photography is Western Australia (because those Iron Ore roads use North American GEs).

I am so uninterested in non-North American trains that if I ever found myself in another country standing next to a set of tracks camera in hand and a train came, I doubt I would even take a picture.

Virtually every railfan I know shares the exact same opinion.
And I am fascinated by the railroads of the world and love to travel and see them and photograph them.

To each his own.
Freericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 06:49 PM   #23
jnohallman
Senior Member
 
jnohallman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,527
Default

I find the debate over North American interest in non-North American photos kind of interesting. I have to admit that I click on relatively few photos to begin with, North American or "foreign." If a photo looks visually interesting, I'll click on it, certainly. Otherwise, I'm far more likely to click on a photo of steam than diesel or electric. As far as "foreign" photos go, I don't think of myself as biased against them - the same criteria apply. The possible exception is photos of French equipment - I've never been a particular fan of the French railroad aesthetic. Of course, as my supervisor's sister once said (note, she's English) "I don't like the French. I don't think anybody does, really."

Jon
__________________
"Everybody talks about the weather, but nobody does anything about it." - Mark Twain

Click here to see my photos on RP.net!

Do not, under any circumstances whatsoever, click here. Don't even think about it. I'm warning you!
jnohallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 06:52 PM   #24
mw25
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Brainerd, Minnesota
Posts: 59
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freericks
And I am fascinated by the railroads of the world and love to travel and see them and photograph them.

To each his own.
I'm with Freericks on this one. It didn't always used to be this way, but I would say about half of the photos I click on now are North American shots and the other half are from elsewhere in the world. Perhaps it's because I am generally more interested in seeing the surroundings/scenery that trains operate in rather than the particular equipment used. Whatever the case, I find RP to be a nice way for me to "travel" to a lot of far-flung places that I realistically will never be able to get to.

So to the non-North American posters, keep your photos coming! I appreciate them.
__________________
Mitch Wahlsten

Click here for my photos on RailPictures.net
Click here for my photos on Flickr
mw25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 09:32 PM   #25
WisconsinCentral
Senior Member
 
WisconsinCentral's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: New Brighton Minnesota
Posts: 361
Default

I agree with John. Its not that I dont think that the people from other countries dont take nice shots, but the fact is, I really dont find any of the power over there interesting to look at. Plus, the trains are shorter, not too much variety in terms of consists (including rolling stock) either. Ive never found anything but maybe Brazil stuff interesting. We are all big boys here, no need to say "I really enjoy all shots, not just USA ones" when you dont. Im not saying that Rpics should stop accepting the foriegn stuff, but I know there is a pretty legitimate reason why many of those shots dont have many views.

Alec
__________________
The future is uncertain, so take the shots now.
http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=8714
WisconsinCentral is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:17 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.