Old 05-15-2005, 04:53 AM   #1
cmherndon
Banned

Send a message via AIM to cmherndon Send a message via Yahoo to cmherndon
Default A Few From Last Month

Now that I finally got a round tuit, here are a few shots from near the end of last month.

The day following the derailment at McBrayer, several of us set out to shoot what would be a rather busy day on the Louisville District. If NS could have run some good power (they didn't) that would've made the day even better. I still managed to salvage a few shots from that day, including a pair of SD40's running light.

In Harrodsburg, 60A was first up. In no uncertain terms, my shot sucked. I feel that one can do better than just a bland head on shot of a catfish while on the ground (elevation is a whole different story). However, 285 was right behind, and I managed to get a shot of that train passing the railfan's dream house in Hogtown.

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©

After that, Randy and I rode down to Danville and started hearing a "BNSF 6749" on the radio. We weren't exactly sure where it was or what it was on. We would find out later. While in Danville, we watch a few come and go, but 174 was the only thing with good power (high hood SD40). Just a shame it was running the wrong way. Go figure.

Heading back west, we find out that 6749 is on train 911 which will be dropping off some rail at the derailment site. Stopping at Jackson Pike, we catch 167 which was one of several trains running behind due to the derailment.

We meet up with Emmett and Junior in Lawrenceburg and then find out that second out on 911 is an HLCX SD40-2. Sadly though, it could only be used as a B-unit and the train was going to have to swap a locomotive with 22A. After 911 ducked into the siding, they cut off and ran light to the west end to wait on 22A.

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©

All of the eastbound trains are west of Joyes. There's a nice westbound parade coming, so Randy and I head towards Shelbyville to catch some of the action. We pull off near the 308W milepost and I head up on a bridge to catch 112 which was leading the parade.

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©
- Can you believe this was shot through a chain link fence?

After shooting 112, the clouds are starting to roll in, but we try to find a suitable location to shoot 22A. We settle on a location just east of Joyes siding and catch the train rolling in slowly, preparing to stop.

http://www.cmherndon.com/nsphotos/ns...lbyville042505

Thus wraps up the latest trip report. Congestion at the Mixing Center and the quickly increasing clouds influenced the decision to head home. Until next time...

Hope y'all enjoy, and thanks for looking!
cmherndon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2005, 05:01 AM   #2
4kV

Location: Homeless, alcoholic drifter with no permanent address

Your trip reports are always enjoyable. Thanks for sharing.

Pat

Click on n691lf.rrpicturearchives.net for a good laugh and waste of your time.
4kV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2005, 05:13 AM   #3
cmherndon
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4kV
Your trip reports are always enjoyable. Thanks for sharing.
Thanks, Pat. You know, the funny thing is that I hated writing in high school (my goodness that seems like such a long time ago), but enjoy writing these things out...Go figure.
Old 05-15-2005, 05:21 AM   #4
4kV

Location: Homeless, alcoholic drifter with no permanent address

I guess it is the subject, perhaps. I didn't like writing in school, either, now enjoy it, just never seem to have the time to get down and do it. I never submit trip reports here, maybe I ought to start one of these days.

Pat

Click on n691lf.rrpicturearchives.net for a good laugh and waste of your time.
4kV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2005, 05:58 PM   #5
Ru1056

Send a message via Yahoo to Ru1056

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmherndon
You know, the funny thing is that I hated writing in high school
Trains as an elective, I could handle that.

Thanks for the pics, cant wait till June.

Billy

JREB.ORG. Moderated discussion forums about NS & CSX

Remember the ugly photo god.
Ru1056 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 03:36 PM   #6
dodi4200

Send a message via Yahoo to dodi4200

very cool report the bc rail unit in the second pic reminds me of (atomic train) i think that most of yurs saw it .
also i noticed in most of yur reports that the most pix is for norfolk southern locos i think that u like them very much.
does ns and csxt bought conrail or just ns who bought it?
im saying it again nice report and nice shots and have anice time
mohamed
dodi4200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 05:20 PM   #7
cmherndon
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodi4200
also i noticed in most of yur reports that the most pix is for norfolk southern locos i think that u like them very much.
I do. They seem to actually run a "scheduled" railroad in a sense of that you'll know the general time frame that a train will pass (ex. 223 runs early-mid morning). I do shoot CSX every now and then, but never seem to have any luck catching many trains. Granted, that can also happen on NS, but it's rare. Also, an NS mainline runs maybe a quarter mile (0.4 Km) behind my house, so it's pretty convenient to shoot them.

Quote:
does ns and csxt bought conrail or just ns who bought it?
The original plan for CSX was a 100% takeover of Conrail. NS would have none of this and blocked them from doing so. Interestingly, CSX only ended up with about 40% or CR, while NS got the other 60%.

Quote:
nice report and nice shots and have anice time
Thanks!

Last edited by cmherndon; 05-19-2005 at 05:22 PM.
Old 05-21-2005, 09:12 AM   #8
dodi4200

yea i think that the most of trains times of norfolk southern is regular but wat about that u can go to the company that u wanna to catch pix for its trains and ask them for the time table of the trains that will be near to u at the day that u will catch pics in it or this is prohibted?
also i will try to bought digital camera (benq3410) and i will make alot of good stuff for trains in the central yards and stations here in egypt but after finishing the exams of the term in the faculty so u can see alot of daily egyptian trains pix
waiting for yur replay man
mohamed
Old 05-21-2005, 06:19 PM   #9
cmherndon
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodi4200
wat about that u can go to the company that u wanna to catch pix for its trains and ask them for the time table of the trains that will be near to u at the day that u will catch pics in it or this is prohibted?
I'd say that the railroads are probably less than willing to share any information with railfans. However, about 2/3 of the Louisville District is track warrant control. With that system, I'll usually know well in advance where a train is and what the lead locomotive is since track warrants are given out over the radio.
Old 05-23-2005, 10:17 AM   #10
dodi4200

yea thats agood work.also i wanna to tell u that i know afriend for me that working in acontrol tower at the eastern entrance of the central station of my city. he let me working with him and control trains like him also taking with them its agood thing that u feel that u can control this huge monster at any time when its in yur area of control
so wat about u man did u tried before to control trains from acontrol tower and if so wat is the type of control system that the control tower uses electrical or mechanical?
waiting for yur replay man
mohamed