PhotoID: 259684
Photograph © Travis Dewitz

Image © K7
PhotoID: 260273
Photograph © K7

Image © K7
PhotoID: 260274
Photograph © K7

The bottom two are sequential, 260273 and 260274. Never researched it, but I wonder how many sequentially numbered photos have been nominated for a PCA?

Flickr: Armco_block
chris crook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 06:09 PM   #177
travsirocz

Send a message via AIM to travsirocz

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris crook
Image © Travis Dewitz

Thanks! It is always really nice to see.
travsirocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 06:13 PM   #178
J Douglas Moore

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris crook
Image © Travis Dewitz

Image © K7
PhotoID: 260273
Photograph © K7

Image © K7
PhotoID: 260274
Photograph © K7

The bottom two are sequential, 260273 and 260274. Never researched it, but I wonder how many sequentially numbered photos have been nominated for a PCA?
Based on statistical probability, counting the ones you are showing........................ The answer is 1

"Thanks for looking"

It is a proven fact that birthdays are good for you. The people with the most always live longer!
J Douglas Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 06:06 PM   #179
travsirocz

Love this shot!

Image © Nscalemike
PhotoID: 264320
Photograph © Nscalemike
Old 12-29-2009, 05:58 AM   #180
JimThias

Only 255+ views and almost a dozen comments? You'd think with that many comments, this image would have garnered more views. I agree with Chris, this deserves a PCA!

Image © Jean-Marc Frybourg
PhotoID: 308510
Photograph © Jean-Marc Frybourg

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 06:26 AM   #181
Walter S

Send a message via AIM to Walter S

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias View Post
Only 255+ views and almost a dozen comments? You'd think with that many comments, this image would have garnered more views. I agree with Chris, this deserves a PCA!

I agree Jim, that is a amazing shot!
Old 12-29-2009, 06:33 AM   #182
cblaz

It's funny. I was doing a search earlier today, came across this thread and was thinking of reviving it once the annual PCA date problems got worked out.

- Chris
Old 12-29-2009, 07:18 AM   #183
stevenmwelch

Send a message via AIM to stevenmwelch Send a message via Yahoo to stevenmwelch

Quote:
...I agree with Chris, this deserves a PCA!

Not only do I agree with the PCA, but I couldn't agree more with the rest of your comment, Chris.
My Photos on RP
My RP Rejects and then Some
stevenmwelch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 03:23 PM   #184
WembYard

I wondered why Jim was reviving such an old thread (Also think that it would be good to revive it as well)

Seriously though that is a fabulous shot, I clicked on the PCA straight away when I got round to catching up with what has been uploaded the last couple of days.
WembYard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 03:31 PM   #185
travsirocz

It's amazing shots like this don't get the views they should sometimes. Hard to get a pca unless it gets over 2000 views. I wonder what the lowest viewed photo that got a pca was?
Old 12-29-2009, 06:26 PM   #186
california_railfan

Send a message via AIM to california_railfan

The question for me is how does a shot like this get into the DB, and not get an SC? I don't think I've seen a shot of this magnitude in any screener's portfolio. I voted for the PCA,I know I don't have a shot of this caliber in my portfolio. I really think this should get a POTW as well, and maybe even an EP.

RP truly has the best photos on the net, but I think sometimes the ball is dropped and the screening crew doesn't give credit where credit is due. What's going on in the screening department lately? At one point there was a new SC every day, now there seems to be one a week. Beautiful shots like this get passed up, and left to die in the DB.

My Railpictures.Net Portfolio!

Or

To view my website, click here: Dadgari Photography
california_railfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 02:09 AM   #187
John West
Senior Curmudgeon

Red face Victim of its own success?

To some extent RP may be a victim of its own success. The number of really fine images being posted here is amazing. And has grown rapidly over the past three years. My guess is the screeners are a bit overwhelmed when it comes to awarding SC's. There are so many good images to pick from, how do you decide which ones deserve special treatment....and the screeners are working quickly, so there is little time to think and compare. Even with the SC's, 24 hour favorites, 7 day favorites, and PCA's, a lot of great pix fall through the cracks. Just in reviewing this thread I discovered a bunch of fine pix that I had missed the first time around. Unless some kind of new mechanism is created for capturing more of the good stuff, a lot will probably continue to be missed and/or underappreciated.
John West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 02:27 AM   #188
cblaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by John West View Post
My guess is the screeners are a bit overwhelmed when it comes to awarding SC's.
There's no rule limiting Screener's Choices. If a shot makes you go "wow" when you open it, and it's technically perfect (no random shadows or item awkwardly cropped off, stuff that some might let slide so the shot added), give it a SC. One of Jean-Marc's recent Chile shots got the latest Photo of the Week (I would have picked the silhouette myself but both are amazing) and both shots deserve to win PCAs. There have not been four shots added in the past week better than these two.

- Chris
Old 12-30-2009, 04:20 AM   #189
John West
Senior Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by cblaz View Post
There's no rule limiting Screener's Choices.
But when you see so many good pix so quickly, the "WOW" bar gets raised awfully high. And I can only guess that there is some hesitation to award too many SC's, rule or no rule.....because an awfully lot of "WOW" shots don't get SC's. Logically, too many POTW don't have SC's first, which I find odd.
Old 12-30-2009, 05:47 AM   #190
DWHonan

I'm taking the following paragraph from an email I wrote on November 17th to another RP member; I thought I'd share it since it's relevant to the conversation at hand.

Quote:
I really think SCs should be awarded more frequently. There are just too many good photos posted to the site which get lost in the shuffle because only a select few ever make it to the homepage -- two each top/24 and top/week at a time, plus four PCAs/week -- and often enough the tops are more "popular" images (such as my horsepower droppings shot or the recent spate of "Denzel is filming a train movie!" photos) than those deserving of recognition for their technical or creative merits. (Examples: A few weeks ago I had a sure-fire top/24 bumped thanks to a roster shot of NS 999, and a shot that I strongly believe would have won a PCA never made it to the homepage to get the views it needed to earn the PCA votes needed because a five-pack of BN SD9s scooped more views.) More frequent awarding of SCs will also keep the material in the SC "slide show" on the homepage fresh -- as it is, the oldest shot currently in the cycle was posted nearly FOUR MONTHS AGO (http://www.railpictures.net/viewphot...291838&nseq=24). (Yes, I sat through the whole thing to verify that; for what it's worth, the cycle displays the 25 most recent SCs.) Is Vince's shot really continuing to generate hits, or is it more likely that visitors are ignoring it at this point because it's been in their peripheral vision for so long? There would also be the profit motive for granting more SCs: It's been demonstrated time and time again that photos on the homepage generate more hits, thus more SCs will generate more ad revenue for the site.
I really don't think that handing out more SCs will cheapen the award; in fact, I believe that SCs should be handed out far more frequently than PCAs because they're just the opinion of one person, whereas the PCAs reflect the opinions of the entire (participating) RP community. The true challenge here should be gaining the respect of our peers by earning their PCA votes, not hoping for an elusive SC. Citing the example above: 25 SCs were handed out in a 28-week span this summer/fall; in the same interval, five dozen PCAs were voted winners. Shouldn't that ratio be inverted, with winning a popular vote being more scarce, and therefore of greater value, than having one's work praised by the screener upon posting?
View my portfolio at Flickr Not quite so new anymore!
DWHonan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 06:30 AM   #191
John West
Senior Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWHonan View Post
25 SCs were handed out in a 28-week span this summer/fall; in the same interval, five dozen PCAs were voted winners. Shouldn't that ratio be inverted, with winning a popular vote being more scarce, and therefore of greater value, than having one's work praised by the screener upon posting?
Interesting example, excellent point.
Old 12-31-2009, 06:51 AM   #192
Train-a-Mania

Quote:
I really don't think that handing out more SCs will cheapen the award; in fact, I believe that SCs should be handed out far more frequently than PCAs because they're just the opinion of one person, whereas the PCAs reflect the opinions of the entire (participating) RP community. The true challenge here should be gaining the respect of our peers by earning their PCA votes, not hoping for an elusive SC. Citing the example above: 25 SCs were handed out in a 28-week span this summer/fall; in the same interval, five dozen PCAs were voted winners. Shouldn't that ratio be inverted, with winning a popular vote being more scarce, and therefore of greater value, than having one's work praised by the screener upon posting?
I agree. I'd like to see more SCs, as I do think good ones are often passed over.
Old 12-31-2009, 06:55 AM   #193
Christopher Muller

Quote:

The thumb didn't do much for me, then I clicked on the photo because of the number of comments... when I saw the full imagine, my breath was taken away. It is a spectacular photo!
Christopher Muller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 02:25 PM   #194
Chase55671
RailPictures.Net Crew

Send a message via AIM to Chase55671 Send a message via MSN to Chase55671

Quote:
I'm taking the following paragraph from an email I wrote on November 17th to another RP member; I thought I'd share it since it's relevant to the conversation at hand.

Well said, David! I can't say I disagree with any of the above statements. I personally would like to see more SC's given. It seems that the same one sometimes stays on the homepage for a week, if not more, and in that time period, a noticeable amount of "good" images worthy of the SC award are passed up.

Chase
Click here to view my photos at Railpictures.Net
SLR Night Photography Tutorial | Railpictures.Net Beginners Guide
Chase55671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 10:49 PM   #195
Mgoldman

Quite some time ago, I mentioned as a suggestion to admin the return of the Editor's Choice (or similar), or at the least, in lieu of such, a modification to the SC which would encourage greater numbers of SC's based on recognition of an image due to it's technical level of difficulty or rarity instead of only being based on a single particular screener's preference for a certain type of image.

In short, a great photo is a great photo and it would be nice to badge and categorize them in the database when bad timing and /or 4 PC's per week may overlook a few.

As for PC's - I've always found it a bit puzzling that certain images entertain 30+ favorites and high comment counts yet at the end of the week a PC is voted to a photo with half the favorite count. I don't have a problem nor need a fix for such, just found it odd.

/Mitch

PS - Still campaigning for a "Lost Gems" category. The best of the past.
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 01:43 PM   #196
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgoldman View Post
As for PC's - I've always found it a bit puzzling that certain images entertain 30+ favorites and high comment counts yet at the end of the week a PC is voted to a photo with half the favorite count. I don't have a problem nor need a fix for such, just found it odd.
Agreed. And this is similar to the reason I bumped with thread. Jean-Marc's picture had an usual ratio (at least to me) of views to comments and I couldn't quite figure out how such an image could inspire that number of comments without a much larger number of views. That is all changing now, though. I expect to see it in the #1 PCA slot next week. And how it didn't get a SC is also perplexing.

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
Old 01-02-2010, 03:14 PM   #197
cblaz

Quote:
That is all changing now, though. I expect to see it in the #1 PCA slot next week.
I don't. Unfortunately, it looks like Jean-Marc picked the wrong week to upload, as the PCA annual year change problem has not been addressed yet this year, so there may not be any PCAs for photos submitted the last two weeks of 2009.

- Chris
Old 01-03-2010, 01:34 AM   #198
Mgoldman

Quote:
Originally Posted by cblaz View Post
I don't. Unfortunately, it looks like Jean-Marc picked the wrong week to upload, as the PCA annual year change problem has not been addressed yet this year, so there may not be any PCAs for photos submitted the last two weeks of 2009.

- Chris
This happened last year? Or ever?

Noticed a few eligible photos are not PC eligible though they were earlier, and new photos do seem to be eligible. This needs to be fixed but at the same time it implies that any votes in place before should "stick".

/Mitch

By the way, if admin is tinkering with RP, maybe the search could be fixed for "Most Favorited" and "Most Commented" which do not yield accurate results when searching "last week", "yesterday" nor "last 30 days".
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 06:11 AM   #199
Train-a-Mania

Has anyone ever had a photo that was "not eligible for PCA"?

I just got a dialogue box saying that, which opened up after I tried to nominate a photo.
Old 01-04-2010, 01:16 PM   #200
JimThias

9:15 am on a Monday and we still have last week's PCAs. Uh oh...