Old 02-28-2008, 08:45 PM   #1
willig

Default Ghana?

I'm off to Ghana on a business trip in a couple of weeks. There don't seem to be any photos on RP.net taken there.

Does anyone know what trains there might be for me to photograph there? I have heard that there is no steam.
willig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 03:51 AM   #2
Frederick

You may want to check and see if it is legal to take pictures or video at or around airports, train stations, harbors, or of trains, planes, ships, government property, etc. I was in Tanzania last January, and you can be arrested if you do take pictures of those things. I don't know how it is in other parts of Africa, but I believe the reason for it is to crack down on terrorist activity.

But to answer your question, yes, there does appear to be a railroad system in Ghana.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghana_Railway_Corporation

Flickr Account
Frederick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 07:53 AM   #3
alan-crotty

Default Wiki

Hi Graham,

Tried Wiki, may not be reliable but it's a start.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghana_Railway_Corporation

Enjoy your trip.

Alan
alan-crotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 08:18 AM   #4
willig

Thanks very much Alan.
I've tried looking at a few websites and the picture seems pretty unclear as to what there is running, stored or scrapped. I guess I'll just have to "play it by ear". I will be going three times before summer, so I can perhaps weigh things up slowly and carefully.

On the risks front Frederick, when I went to Tanzania in April 2005,there was no problem. I did as I always do in other countries, simply found an official (Railway or Police Officer) and very politely asked permission in a friendly way, including giving the reason for the request. (If refused, don't argue and DONT disobey!)

Image © Graham Williams
PhotoID: 213541
Photograph © Graham Williams
Image © Graham Williams
PhotoID: 204205
Image © Graham Williams
PhotoID: 204985

For the steam loco, I waited for one and a half hours for the Works Manager to return from lunch and asked his permission. He was only too pleased to show off their engine. It was just a pity it was under repair, as I understand it normally shunts Dar Es Salaam station.

I've found that outside Western Europe, pointing a camera at planes, or trains is usually viewed upon as suspicious.(Can't speak for USA as I've never been) In Africa or Asia, when they learn I'm a Brit, they usually smile and give permission for train photos. They probably think, "Oh, another nutty Englishman". Although they're not usually so cordial when it comes to aircraft. If there's a military base sharing the civilian airport, my camera stays firmly out of sight, in the bag.

I was once photographing aircraft through the terminal windows at Kiev Airport with a compact IXUS 750. The staff there were completely happy with this. I took out a tiny 8x15 monolcular to have a closer look at a YAK40 and was immediately pounced on by three security guys. Fortunately, they only told me to put it away and it went no further. It just goes to show. You can never be too careful.

Anyway, with luck, I might get some shots to post on RP.net.

Last edited by willig; 03-03-2008 at 08:20 AM.
Old 03-04-2008, 03:58 PM   #5
Kevin W-S

Just be careful with the camera! You are doing the right things by asking etc. But again some countries can be really dodgy. A few years back in Tanzania, just having a camera was trouble.

Get hold of the Embassy before you go and explain you are going especially to take photos of trains - you may be able to get introductions and letters etc. ! It is worth trying - more then likely you will fail to achieve anything, but sometimes you will strike gold!

My photos at RailPictures.Net!

http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=17454
Kevin W-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 04:03 PM   #6
willig

Thanks for the advice Kevin. My business trip will involve liaising with the Ministry of Transport, so maybe I can get them on my side before I start taking snaps.

I've looked at your photos. Wow, now that's where I'd like to visit.
Old 03-04-2008, 04:12 PM   #7
Kevin W-S

Well - you must visit some time ! If you ever do, give me a shout.

The trains here are actually difficult to find, and steam is dying out fast with only a few engines left. One has to be in the right place at the right time! Bit of inside knowledge and contacts all help.

Well, with the Ministry of Transport you should be able to pan out OK.

Something else I remembered - be careful with your choice of language when explaining why...... terms like historical and heritage may sometimes not go down well - political connotation - colonialism etc. Am sure if you give it some thought you will get the idea. Ghana should not be be too bad in this context though!

"Tourist attraction" sometimes works! But do not create the impression you want to pay people!

My photos at RailPictures.Net!

http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=17454
Kevin W-S is offline   Reply With Quote