Old 03-14-2008, 12:47 AM   #1
transit383

Default My First Attempt at Black & White...

... and its rejected for "Bad Angle":

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...&key=212733739

I'm curious to hear opinions on this one. After returning to this location three times to try and nail this shot, the above was the result. This is also the only train of the day to stop at this station with the new locomotive. Worth an appeal?

Also, when creating a black and white image, is it better to take the photo in color and then process in Photoshop or just take the photo with the camera's b&w setting?
Old 03-14-2008, 12:54 AM   #2
bigbassloyd

I don't think it'll be RP worthy in any color.

It's heavily shadowed, and there's a ton of noise in the sky. As for the angle, it's not perking my interest a great deal. I'd like to see either more of the locmotive, or more of the station behind it. My eyes are moving around begging for something to grab their attention, and not really finding it.

As for B&W shots, when I decide to, I set the camera to B&W and go. That's just personal preference, with no logic behind it

Loyd L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by transit383
... and its rejected for "Bad Angle":

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...&key=212733739

I'm curious to hear opinions on this one. After returning to this location three times to try and nail this shot, the above was the result. This is also the only train of the day to stop at this station with the new locomotive. Worth an appeal?

Also, when creating a black and white image, is it better to take the photo in color and then process in Photoshop or just take the photo with the camera's b&w setting?

My personal photography site
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 12:55 AM   #3
Freericks
Met Fan

I'd like it much better if you had shot it 1/2 a second earlier and the engine didn't eat into the station sign.

Also, I think this shot really demands a very wide angle lens.

I do really like what you're trying to do. I went out trying to do something very similar with the abandoned Glendale post office, but the trains go by there at 60 MPH and I had to place the locomotive exactly in a locomotive sized spot.

After shooting seven or eight trains, and not getting one acceptable shot, I realized that what I was trying to do couldn't be done during normal operations.
Freericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 01:14 AM   #4
transit383

The thing that makes this shot exceptionally hard to get is all the foreground clutter in the area. If the station were out in the open, all I would have to do is move back. But there is a large swinging gate to my left in this shot and an abundance of trees/shadows to the right, so all I can do is shoot at point blank range from this location, give or take a few feet on either side. The High Bridge Station is a neat looking station, even though it is in a state of disrepair.

I also took the attached photo during one of my trips here. Its not what I was going for here, but it does show more of the station. Opinions?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	njt4031a.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	195.1 KB
ID:	2622  
Old 03-14-2008, 02:43 AM   #5
EMTRailfan

Location: I can be found railfanning the abandoned B&O Northern Sub.

I like your second shot better going along with Loyd about showing more of the station. As far as shooting B/W vs. color, I only have one photo on RP shot as B/W. The rest were shot color and converted. You can adjust color levels more, and then convert. Just personal preference for me too. Shooting B/W vs. shooting color and then converting has been brought up before, and the latter seemed to be the concensus IIRC.
Old 03-14-2008, 03:06 AM   #6
Rich K

I generally shoot everything in color, and convert those that I think might look good in B&W using Photoshop Elements 5.0. I don't use the black and white conversion tool built in to PE5, opting for a couple different techniques I learned on line instead.

Image © Rich Kaminsky
PhotoID: 208480
Photograph © Rich Kaminsky

Webmaster of The Railfan Gallery

Click Here to view my photos at RailPictures.net
Rich K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 01:27 PM   #7
Joe the Photog

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbassloyd
As for B&W shots, when I decide to, I set the camera to B&W and go. That's just personal preference, with no logic behind it
That's actually what I do. It's cool to be able to shoot in B&W again on the 400D. I know I cn convert later in DPP (from color to b&w and visa-versa shooting RAW) but the actual process of shooting in black and white is really cool.

As for the shot in this thread, I tend to agree with Charloes and Loyd. I have a couple of places on my hit list where shots would be really cool.... if not for one or two things making them almost not even worthy of trying.

Joe
Old 03-15-2008, 06:25 PM   #8
transit383

I didn't like this shot at first when I took it, but its since grown on me:

Image © Gerald Oliveto
PhotoID: 227512
Photograph © Gerald Oliveto
Old 03-16-2008, 11:45 AM   #9
MichaelJ
The Photo Journalist

I also think your second shot was much better. It did not have that fish eye type effect as your first one did.

The views expressed in this reply are personal and do not represent the views or policy of my employer.
MichaelJ is offline   Reply With Quote