Old 03-11-2008, 06:52 AM   #1
Niles

Default When the Train Shoots Back

Yesterday I was coming back from taking some photos, well actually attempting to take, no train actually came until after I left, but something really funny happened. On my walk back home I saw a train just pulling out of the yard. I decided to stop to try and shoot but it was pretty dark by the time the train came. As I was shooting I hear the words "Got you". At first I didn't know who said this. After I reviewed my photos and noticed that the door to the engine was open and that one of crew members had taken a photo of me. I think its quite humorous but I was just wondering has this has ever happened to others? Also, why?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP3695-edit.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	236.4 KB
ID:	2611  

Last edited by Niles; 03-11-2008 at 06:55 AM.
Niles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 07:04 AM   #2
NSFan14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niles
Yesterday I was coming back from taking some photos, well actually attempting to take, no train actually came until after I left, but something really funny happened. On my walk back home I saw a train just pulling out of the yard. I decided to stop to try and shoot but it was pretty dark by the time the train came. As I was shooting I hear the words "Got you". At first I didn't know who said this. After I reviewed my photos and noticed that the door to the engine was open and that one of crew members had taken a photo of me. I think its quite humorous but I was just wondering has this has ever happened to others? Also, why?
He probably just thought you was acting suspicous. Probably nothing to worry about!
Old 03-11-2008, 12:12 PM   #3
WembYard

Some years ago, I visited a signalman colleague at Leicester London Road signal box shortly before it closed under the Leicester resignalling scheme. The box is in a deep brick cutting and we noticed somebody peering over the wall at the top of the cutting, camera in hand.

My mate commented that he had seen loads of enthusiasts getting their last pictures recently and he was starting to feel like an exotic animal in a zoo. Seeing my camera on the table suddenly gave him an idea, so he grabbed it, opened the door and pointed it towards the photographer, who promptly disappeared! No idea why though as he was not trespassing.
WembYard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 01:03 PM   #4
Callufrax
?

Location: Nth. Strathfield, Main Northern, CityRail - Sydney, NSW, Australia

I visited Ontario and Manitoba, in August 2006. On my return trip back to Toronto, I was driving near Massey, ON. I saw the headlights of an oncoming train (lead loco was HCRY 3013), so decided to pullover to photograph it. Within a second of having taken the photograph, the conductor poked his head out, photographed me, and then threw a bottle of water at me!
Old 03-11-2008, 01:28 PM   #5
Somebody in the WWW

I have had one instance when I was photographing a V/Line locomotive at Tallarook, Victoria, Australia and the driver opened his window and threw a little card/slip at me! Had a read of it and it was an examination slip from EDi Rail given to the driver to certify that the train was fit for service. Made a nice little addition to my collection, maybe he was trying to be nice to me

Edit: Another instance being a Connex employee in a signal box who was photographing me on her mobile phone camera whilst yelling at me at some distance that she had a reported me to the Police who were going to come and arrest me for taking photos! Glad she thought I was so attractive that she needed a photo to remember me by .

Last edited by Somebody in the WWW; 03-11-2008 at 03:05 PM. Reason: Add something more!
Somebody in the WWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 01:50 PM   #6
EMTRailfan

Location: I can be found railfanning the abandoned B&O Northern Sub.

It sure looks like a heck of a camera just to take to work with you to shoot railfans with. Who knows, maybe you'll see a pic of you here on RP soon.
Old 03-11-2008, 03:03 PM   #7
travsirocz

Send a message via AIM to travsirocz

I had a engineer photograph me with his cell phone once. By the look on his face I am sure he thought I was damaging rr property or something. I was standing between the road crossing and the control box. I wonder if they get something for catching a crime in the act?
travsirocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 03:38 PM   #8
milwman
I shoot what I like

Send a message via Yahoo to milwman

I wave, that helps a lot.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22299476@N05/
milwman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 04:03 PM   #9
Freericks
Met Fan

It happens all the time, for any number of reasons. Some of them are just having fun.

http://freericks.rrpicturearchives.n...spx?id=1028200

Took the shot at this link in 1979. Didn't realize what had happened until I scanned it nearly 30 years later.
Freericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 04:25 PM   #10
TAMR159

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMTRailfan
It sure looks like a heck of a camera just to take to work with you to shoot railfans with. Who knows, maybe you'll see a pic of you here on RP soon.
Yeah, I noticed that. The fact that he's taking a photo of you at all, seemingly as a joke, raises a flag already. The fact that he's shooting you with an SLR (big time overkill) makes me suspect he's a railfan-gone-railroader...
TAMR159 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 04:58 PM   #11
Joe the Photog

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAMR159
Yeah, I noticed that. The fact that he's taking a photo of you at all, seemingly as a joke, raises a flag already. The fact that he's shooting you with an SLR (big time overkill) makes me suspect he's a railfan-gone-railroader...
I don't get what you're trying to say. Overkill? Raises a flag? Is it a bad thing to have your shot taken?

Joe
Old 03-11-2008, 05:16 PM   #12
socalrailfan
Master Railfan

I've had it happen lots of times myself. But then I think most of the crews working cajon Pass recognize me by now. I always give and get waves, horn blasts, water bottles with the days lineup tied to them. Here's a few.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	06_0814 circus train.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	250.3 KB
ID:	2615   Click image for larger version

Name:	06_1007 victorville.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	297.3 KB
ID:	2616  
See more of my train photos at:
http://community.webshots.com/user/firehouse16
See my train videos at:
http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=SoCalRailFan
socalrailfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 05:40 PM   #13
EMTRailfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niles
As I was shooting I hear the words "Got you".
I saw this part before, but it didn't really sink in. Pretty sure this tied with the crewman using an SLR vs. a P&S just to collect evidence is what Tamr meant by overkill, and that he was a railfan-gone-railroader. The fact that the crew had the sense to tell you that they "got you" over the scanner says to me that they knew that you were a railfan and just having a little fun with you, and didn't think you were a vandal. I don't think your typical vandal carries a scanner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by travsirocz
I had a engineer photograph me with his cell phone once. By the look on his face I am sure he thought I was damaging rr property or something. I was standing between the road crossing and the control box. I wonder if they get something for catching a crime in the act?
This is something I would expect to see from a crewman to take shots for evidence on vandals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by milwman
I wave, that helps a lot.
Yup.

Last edited by EMTRailfan; 03-11-2008 at 05:48 PM.
EMTRailfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 06:28 PM   #14
gbrozny

Send a message via ICQ to gbrozny

One day last summer up in Marion, just about every CSX crew took the picture of everyone that was up on the old AC tower, which is now the property of the museum, I figured it probably was a funny sight to them, as it was very crowded there that day, every step had someone standing on it camera in hand, packed to capacity.
gbrozny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 06:37 PM   #15
ken45
LA&SL Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbrozny
One day last summer up in Marion, just about every CSX crew took the picture of everyone that was up on the old AC tower, which is now the property of the museum, I figured it probably was a funny sight to them, as it was very crowded there that day, every step had someone standing on it camera in hand, packed to capacity.
The only time I got snapped was at Marion.

I met a guy a couple years back who worked for EMD and would travel the country working and testing SD70ACes. He would snap pictures of any foamer he saw, and he had quite a few from the sounds of it. There's probably a website out there with foamer pictures. Be interesting to see who's all on it.
Old 03-11-2008, 07:21 PM   #16
EMTRailfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken45
There's probably a website out there with foamer pictures. Be interesting to see who's all on it.
Let's see. We have:
railpictures.net
jetphotos.net
rail-videos.net
air-liners.net
__________________________________________________ _______________
socalrailfan would like wildflowerphotos.net&firetruckpictures.net (and I'd like the firetruckpictures.net too)
And we had an inquiry a month or so ago about a boatpictures.net.
This one tops the cake now. foamerpictures.net.

I could see the photog remarks now. Foamer crosses the tracks to get better light for RP.net photo at ... Diehard railfan sticks out a blizzard for THE shot. Screener's Choice Photo-RP Screening/Admin Team leaves their laptops for a day, and are said to be at ...Railfest, and I got all 5 of them in one shot. I don't imagine there would be very much data involved other than location. This could be interesting. I wonder who the most photographed would be?
Old 03-11-2008, 07:58 PM   #17
apm2754

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMTRailfan
socalrailfan would like wildflowerphotos.net&firetruckpictures.net (and I'd like the firetruckpictures.net too)
Would you settle for http://www.firepics.net ? No screening, but lots of pictures.

To see my photos at RailPictures.Net click here
apm2754 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 08:14 PM   #18
alstom
Banned

I once had an engineer videotape me and my fellow railfans at Berea. I once saw a train throw a *used* (I found out the hard way) tissue at Berea, and I have also had crew packs thrown at me. The best incident was when a engineer threw a timetable at me before, and it made contact. Startling? Yes!!
alstom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 08:39 PM   #19
yadkinrailfan91

I have been "Shot at" by a CSX local in Spartanburg SC a few years back. He snapped a photo, gave me a big wave and dissapreared back into the cab.

Clint
________
EXPERT INSURANCE

Last edited by yadkinrailfan91; 04-15-2011 at 06:29 AM.
yadkinrailfan91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 08:57 PM   #20
socalrailfan
Master Railfan

I had someone inadvertantly video tape me about a month ago. A westbound on Cajon Pass was passing through the remains of tunnel #2 and I was at the far end taking photos. When I looked at the photos real close I could see someone in the cab with a video camera. They were probably cussing saying a railfan ruined his video! LOL Now where's the video?

I put a thread on my website kind challenging all the RR employees there to start snapping our photos in their travels around SoCal. I haven't seen any photos yet though. But I know many carry cameras.
See more of my train photos at:
http://community.webshots.com/user/firehouse16
See my train videos at:
http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=SoCalRailFan
socalrailfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 09:22 PM   #21
Freericks
Met Fan

Along the same lines, I've had rails talk to me over the scanner a few times. When I was a kid, there was a guy on Conrail's River Line who would ask for an 8x10 of whatever shot you just took.
Freericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 10:04 PM   #22
warbonnets

Had my photo taken by the conductor as he gave me some sort of evil genius bwa ha ha laugh.

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/sho...aspx?id=947506
warbonnets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 05:56 AM   #23
DelmonteX

A few years back, a engineer friend (now retired) got me at a grade crossing. When I talked with him a few days later, he said his shot also captured a couple in car stopped at the crossing just behind me. He said the look on their faces was priceless.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	PICT0015a_sml.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	226.8 KB
ID:	2621  

My Railpictures.net photos

My other photos
DelmonteX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 07:50 PM   #24
PLEzero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog
I don't get what you're trying to say. Overkill? Raises a flag? Is it a bad thing to have your shot taken?

Joe
I believe he is using the term 'raises a flag' not in the sense that something is wrong but that they might have been a railfan. I figure if I am aiming the camera in their direction while they are working they should be able to turn the lens around and take photos of me as well. I'm not very worried about it.
My RP.net Photos
PLEzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 09:08 PM   #25
Kilroy1313

A really cool thread, - I like it a lot! This is the 1st time I read about engineers taking pictures of railfans, very funny!
Unfortunately I never met anything like that in our region, but I try to imagine: this would have taken my socks off.
At the stations it happens that I talk with the engineers.
Trackside I wave and there's some feedback then.
Train-Videos

Kilroy1313 is offline   Reply With Quote