Old 03-04-2008, 02:12 PM   #1
Ben Kopicz
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Ben Kopicz Send a message via MSN to Ben Kopicz Send a message via Yahoo to Ben Kopicz
Default Rejected...

This was my first picture i submited. It was rejected. Any ideas on how to make it better.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...&key=219862411

Thank You
Ben Kopicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 02:32 PM   #2
WKUrailfan

Next time go to the other side of the boxcar and get on the side with the light. Try to remember to keep the sun at your back, if possible. Aso make sure your subject is completely in the frame (try not to cut off edges)
WKUrailfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 02:42 PM   #3
mikekmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by norfolksouthern
This was my first picture i submited. It was rejected. Any ideas on how to make it better.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...&key=219862411

Thank You
It appears that in most cases the Backlit rejection is a show-stopper here at RP. I've had to reevaluate some of my trainwatching locations on this basis--if I can't get the sun behind me, the best I'm going to get is what I call an "ID Shot."

I think there would be other issues with this shot as well--color saturation, the blown-out sky, the left end of the boxcar being cut off. If it were me, I'd just say "Okay, this one's for the personal collection." I'm pretty new here, too, and most of what I've shot at the tracks prior to now isn't fit for 'publication,' especially at a site as selective as RP. That doesn't take away any of the pleasure I've had catching the trains.

When you find you have enough photos that -you- like enough to share, but which don't seem to be a fit at RP or the other moderated sites, you miht consider something like a free Flickr account, where you can share up to 200 photos at a time. You won't get thousands of eyeballs on them unless you have something particularly unusual, but you can get a few dozen even for an unassuming roster shot.

-Mike
mikekmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 02:59 PM   #4
JRMDC

In addition to what Mike said, if you are in such a situation in the future, you might want to play around with close-ups of the car details. The "Reading Lines" logo, the "R D G" with the rusty R, two possible candidates.

If life gives you lemons, make lemonade!

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 03:02 PM   #5
Freericks
Met Fan

One further thought, if you want a shot of the whole car, get the whole car in it. Don't let the frame cut off the ends.
Freericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 03:28 PM   #6
KevinM

Hey Norfolk Southern,

I'm a new guy here too and I can tell ya, the calibration curve as to what RP is looking for is pretty steep. I have thousands of shots taken over the past 6 or 7 years....mostly with a Nikon 5700 (high end P&S).....and while I enjoy browsing them for hours, most wouldn't make it here. My bugaboos were things like dead-center shots (poor composition), high sun, soft focus (#@$% 5700 autofocus!) etc etc. I'm learning fast and I've bought better equipment. I am also rapidly developing an "RP mentality" when I shoot.

I'm a pilot, so checklists are something I live by....here's a start:

- Interesting subject (be picky)
- Objective well lit (not backlit, good nose lighting, no shadows)
- Good composition (rule of 3rds, no foreground clutter, pretty scenery helps)
- Sharp focus
- Good exposure (at least good enough to fix with minor tweaks!)
- Don't blow the shot messing with all of the above LOL!!

Seriously, I would concur with the other folks on this shot. The subject is in shadow, and although the detail of the car is captured nicely, an RP shot needs more direct lighting. Fortunately, being part of a museum collection, you could re-shoot this at a time of day when the car has better sun on it. Hopefully, you live close enough so that won't be too tough.

Spend some time browsing the RP archives. The contributors here will get you RP-calibrated right quick! Welcome!
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 03:42 PM   #7
Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Send a message via AIM to Andrew Blaszczyk (2) Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM
Hey Norfolk Southern,

I'm a new guy here too and I can tell ya, the calibration curve as to what RP is looking for is pretty steep. I have thousands of shots taken over the past 6 or 7 years....mostly with a Nikon 5700 (high end P&S).....and while I enjoy browsing them for hours, most wouldn't make it here. My bugaboos were things like dead-center shots (poor composition), high sun, soft focus (#@$% 5700 autofocus!) etc etc. I'm learning fast and I've bought better equipment. I am also rapidly developing an "RP mentality" when I shoot.

I'm a pilot, so checklists are something I live by....here's a start:

- Interesting subject (be picky)
- Objective well lit (not backlit, good nose lighting, no shadows)
- Good composition (rule of 3rds, no foreground clutter, pretty scenery helps)
- Sharp focus
- Good exposure (at least good enough to fix with minor tweaks!)
- Don't blow the shot messing with all of the above LOL!!

Seriously, I would concur with the other folks on this shot. The subject is in shadow, and although the detail of the car is captured nicely, an RP shot needs more direct lighting. Fortunately, being part of a museum collection, you could re-shoot this at a time of day when the car has better sun on it. Hopefully, you live close enough so that won't be too tough.

Spend some time browsing the RP archives. The contributors here will get you RP-calibrated right quick! Welcome!
I am so proud (and happy that I don't need to make these lists anymore)!

"My camera is an artistic medium, not a tool of terrorism."

www.ab2photography.com Coming soon!
My photos on RailPictures:
http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=960
Andrew Blaszczyk (2) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 03:50 AM   #8
Ben Kopicz
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Ben Kopicz Send a message via MSN to Ben Kopicz Send a message via Yahoo to Ben Kopicz

Quote:
Originally Posted by WKUrailfan
Next time go to the other side of the boxcar and get on the side with the light. Try to remember to keep the sun at your back, if possible. Aso make sure your subject is completely in the frame (try not to cut off edges)
To This, i cant. On the other side there is the "weeds" then right after that there is a fence that is about 9 feet tall. I would not be able to get a pic of the whole car....i was told by someone else not here to go another time of the day. I have plenty of space on this side of the car that i am on. I was actually trying to avoid the sun which was over head... Thats why i was so close... also if i would of gone back any further i would of gotten another car in it that isnt so nice looking. I really didnt want that to ruin this picture..It is a "beat up" passenger car from the reading line i guess. Thank you to all who gave me feed back. I will let you all know if anything works here.
Old 03-05-2008, 05:11 AM   #9
JBCagle7073
Alpha Phi Psi

Send a message via AIM to JBCagle7073

Just keep in mind that rejection notices aren't a total failure. When you use them to learn something then you have not totally wasted your time. I'll commend you on taking the first step and being willing to ask what you did wrong. Like Kevin said you just have to learn what they are looking for and start implementing it. Eventually the "checklist" will become an automatic process in your head. The screeners only accept the best, so a good thing to add to the check list is what can I add to this to make people want to look at it (what makes this interesting, attractive, or appealing in some way).

Take some time and look at some of the other help threads too and you'll get familiar with the reasons people get rejections, and it will help.

Don't be afraid to look through the pictures and find something you like and try to duplicate it in some way.

Almost everyone here is willing to help if you ask. If you continue trying to improve you'll have a nice portfolio here in no time.
Old 03-05-2008, 06:34 AM   #10
DelmonteX

Quote:
To This, i cant. On the other side there is the "weeds" then right after that there is a fence that is about 9 feet tall. I would not be able to get a pic of the whole car....i was told by someone else not here to go another time of the day. I have plenty of space on this side of the car that i am on. I was actually trying to avoid the sun which was over head... Thats why i was so close... also if i would of gone back any further i would of gotten another car in it that isnt so nice looking. I really didnt want that to ruin this picture..It is a "beat up" passenger car from the reading line i guess. Thank you to all who gave me feed back. I will let you all know if anything works here.

As was pointed out the "backlit" rejections is pretty much not fixable.

Unfortunatley there are just some shots you can't get with the goal of being accepted here. I've got one location, from which the only way I'll ever get a shot accepted, if is the earth is thrown out it's orbit.

My Railpictures.net photos

My other photos
DelmonteX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 06:28 AM   #11
Ben Kopicz
Banned

It seems i can not do anything right when it comes to pictures. First i had it figured out and i took a somewhat good picture that had to much backlight. Fine i used cars else where. Now my freaken aunt turned that gay date stamp on and i didnt know it so the 5 pictures i submited have the stupid date stamp on it. So they will most likely be denied. maybe i should give up.
Old 03-15-2008, 03:04 PM   #12
apm2754

Or just try again. And check you camera's setting before going out shooting. I've been guilty of that in the past. Took more times than I'd like to admit of shooting in the wrong setting before making that part of my pre-shooting checklist.

To see my photos at RailPictures.Net click here
apm2754 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 12:48 AM   #13
Ben Kopicz
Banned

All 5 WERE rejected... i am moving to youtube or railvideos for now. Maybe in the future i will try again. Thank you to all your comments
Old 03-16-2008, 02:03 AM   #14
denvillerailfan

Default OH crop it...

Quote:
All 5 WERE rejected... i am moving to youtube or railvideos for now. Maybe in the future i will try again. Thank you to all your comments

If they were better chances than the earlier shots, then crop them down... there must be something salvageable without the bottom and right (or however you end up).

Don't give up so easily, but there are plenty of other places to share until you get it all down.

Take care,
Jeff
denvillerailfan is offline   Reply With Quote