Old 07-15-2005, 11:28 PM   #1
bfputtzman

Default BNSF SD40-2 New Logo Rejections

I shot these two today. I know the sun was high, but I think the lighting turned out pretty darn good. The colors and truck detail are accurately represented. Being a rare photo (i.e., no SD40-2s on this site yet in new logo), I thought that the minor small-shadow-beneath-the-locomotive problem may be overlooked.

Are these pics worth appealing the rejection?

or

Should I play around in my editing software some more to get even better lighting.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreject.php?id=146235

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreject.php?id=146236

Thanks,
Brian
bfputtzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2005, 01:10 AM   #2
Joe

Send a message via AIM to Joe

It seems not the rarest power or greatest photo in the world can't beat the "high sun angle" rejection. I'd say there's no hope, but that's just me.

I think the photos are fine. Sunlight is on the locomotive, nothing obstructing the view. But God forbid shadows should fall on the trucks! =0

Click Here to view my photos at RailPictures.Net!

Last edited by Joe; 07-16-2005 at 01:13 AM.
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2005, 01:18 AM   #3
J. E. Landrum
RailPictures.Net Crew

That's a tough one. Yes it is newsworthy, but by this time next month there will likely be oodles of well lit photos of them on the site. I respect both sides of the debate and suggest appealing to see what the editor says.
J. E. Landrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2005, 02:22 AM   #4
RJSorensen

If you could give the trucks some sunshine, one way or another that might help. I know black on black is tough . . . one reason I am glad I shoot in UP country. You might give that a try if you have software that will do it.

Just a thought.

Please click here should you wish to view a portion of my railroad photography . . .
RJSorensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2005, 03:16 PM   #5
bfputtzman

Thanks for your comments. I have submitted several different shots, and a couple variations of certain shots... all of which have been rejected. I have appealed a couple of them, and no comments were left. I re-shot the locomotive in the yard a few times this morning (under solid morning sunlight), but it will be a little while until I am home to submit those.
Old 07-16-2005, 05:25 PM   #6
willie6622

If you got them today under good light, then forget about the other ones. I'm sure your shots under morning light will be accepted.
BTW:
Congrats on a good catch!
Old 07-16-2005, 06:46 PM   #7
Donna

Good pictures. The heck with the high sun. They always give me that comment even when it is 5 in the afternoon. Then with night photos they give me the poor lighting thingy even when I check the night shots box. Forget about dusk, that is still poor lighting.
Donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2005, 08:03 PM   #8
Chris Starnes
Administrator

If you have shots of these in good morning sunlight why even bother trying to fix or re-upload the high sun shots?
Old 07-17-2005, 12:34 AM   #9
bfputtzman

Chris,

In my opinion, I stumbled upon a rarity yesterday, Friday, at work in the yard. I took good shots of the unit, all of which were rejected. I posted this after the rejections looking for advice, pretty confident that I would not come across this rare unit anytime soon. (So no, I wasn't trying to fix high-sun shots when I had good ones.)

All appeals were rejected without comment.

Surprisingly, I came across the same unit still in the yard this morning, at which time I took more photos. I then answered the posts at work without the ability to upload the new photos.

I submitted three versions of today's new photos, two of which were rejected because they are "similar to a previous photo." You (RP) accepted the head on shot, but rejected both shots that depict the body of the unit. I understand that both "body shots" are similar, but they are hardly similar to the head on shot.

Accepted head-on shot:
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=112587

Rejected shots:
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreject.php?id=146510

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreject.php?id=146511

All three shots are in good morning light. I absolutely do not understand why 146511 was rejected. It is clearly different than 112587. Perhaps you can explain to me how these shots are similar. I have appealed the rejections of 146510 and 146511, but I am really only hoping that one of them (probably 146511) is accepted.

Brian
Old 07-17-2005, 12:57 AM   #10
bfputtzman

The above post was barely up a minute before my appeal was rejected without comments.

After all nine versions:

http://www.railpictures.net/members/...hp?userid=3954

I'm giving up.

I must say that I think this process is pretty ridiculous. If the screening gods can count the number of vertical handrail stanchions along the long hood in 112587, let me know. I'd like that power. After all, they are similar photos. More likely, they are just waiting for that unit to make it to their neck of the woods so they can get the "big catch." Let me help you out. It's train M LAUKCK1 08, bound for Kansas City, KS. It's 4 hours and 24 minutes behind schedule, and its current location is West Leavenworth, about 25 miles out of the BBQ Capital.

Brian
Old 07-17-2005, 03:10 AM   #11
Ween

Brian,

Nice catch...but settle down. Don't take it personally. The rejected shots are similar to the one that got accepted. Had you stood more to your right and included more of the long hood that showed the new BNSF logo, we'd be looking at another accepted shot. But that's not the way it went.

Just watch your tone on the forums...people have been getting banned recently. Just a warning...
Old 07-17-2005, 03:31 AM   #12
bfputtzman

Ween,

You're right. My tone was out of line, and I apologize to everyone for that. It was just frustrating thinking that I had good newsworthy shots, and no matter what I did, they were rejected. In the most unbiased way possible, I felt that at least 2 of the 10 total I submitted should've been accepted.

Brian
Old 07-17-2005, 05:38 AM   #13
RJSorensen

I checked through your "REJECT" list, lol, and I for the most part like the shots. I like trains first and photo perfection second, so my personal likes are pretty broad . . . having said that your accepted shots are pretty cool. The one with the airplane and the trains is just plain fun, and a good photo. Knowing what to do in that split second, that the photo gods give you is a skill many do not have.

Gosh don't throw in the towel. Many 'personal' favorites, things that we just bleed for . . . others could care less for. Not that the shot is either good or bad, just that it is not what is looked for. Nothing more, nothing less. The system is the answer, use it. You are not the first to be upset, nor do I believe you to be the last. It is just the nature of this one.

Grade your own work. Do not accept the judgement of either the screeners or the cheerleaders, who knows what real skill a name on the internet has? It is just a name, when 'good' photographers start to take advice from folks whom are experts by self proclamation, lol, well that is not good, lol, to say the least.

Photography is art, regardless of subject, even trains can and should be art, let your inner feelings guide you. You have the talent, the skill, and looks to be the equipment. You are a good photographer, by me (read above about nameless internet critic, lol) and the place would be so much the poorer without your contributions to the site.

Get a piece of leather to bite down upon and just keep shooting, keep posting. I can loan you mine if need be . . . something to think on.

Regards,

RJSorensen

Please click here should you wish to view a portion of my railroad photography . . .
RJSorensen is offline   Reply With Quote