Old 04-18-2005, 08:20 PM   #26
RJSorensen

People cross the tracks . . . every day, everywhere. I suppose 'standard' crossings just don't work for everyone, as noted above.

Do be careful out there folks.

Please click here should you wish to view a portion of my railroad photography . . .
RJSorensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 11:42 PM   #27
Joe

Send a message via AIM to Joe

Here in Downers Grove, lots of people cross at Gilbert Park. I've seen countless people walk across the tracks with their dogs, by themselves, or with a bike. I was there a couple weeks ago and a girl and her father were walking their dog right down the RoW.
There are crossings half a mile in each direction! What amazes me more are the people that walk right by me and cross when they realize I have a camera. They start walking across and I take a picture of them.
Here's the latest law-breaker:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_1422.JPG (48.5 KB, 212 views)

Click Here to view my photos at RailPictures.Net!
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 02:35 AM   #28
cmherndon
Banned

Send a message via AIM to cmherndon Send a message via Yahoo to cmherndon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe
They start walking across and I take a picture of them.
Here's the latest law-breaker
You gonna turn him in?

I see that stuff happen all the time in Danville, sometimes right in front of a train. Most of the time is those college kids who think they're invincible.
cmherndon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 02:19 PM   #29
ssw9662

When I go railfanning in Macungie, PA, I usually see at least one person walk on the tracks or take an ATV and drive it along the tracks. I was able to get a few people off by talking to the other railfans and saying that there was a train coming soon right in front of the "trackwalkers", THAT scared them off.
Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM
Canon 50mm f/1.8
My Railpictures.net Photos
flickr
ssw9662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 10:38 PM   #30
Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmherndon
You gonna turn him in?

I see that stuff happen all the time in Danville, sometimes right in front of a train. Most of the time is those college kids who think they're invincible.
He's gotta be coming across the tracks TO me, otherwise by the time he gets across and I get over there legally, he'd be gone (and I'd probably miss some trains) .

Old 04-19-2005, 11:51 PM   #31
bnsf sammy

Hey Im sorry about this question...but what is a sign? A couple of the posts said that he should have been issued a "sign" but he didnt? whats a sign???
bnsf sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 11:55 PM   #32
bnsf sammy

OH MY GOD!!!! PEOPLE ARE SO STUPID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THEY HAVE NO IDEA HOW DUMB THEY ARE BEING BECAUSE THEY THINK...OH...A TRAIN??? HA I CAN OUTRUN A TRAIN! EASY! ...NOT SO EASY ONCE YOUR JUST A BIG RED MARK ON A DASH 9'S SNOWPLOW!!! AND THAT PICTURE OF THE MOM AND HER KIDS????!!!!!!!!!! WHAT GIVES!!!!!! THAT MOM IS THE MOST IRRESPONSIBLE MOM I HAVE EVER SEEN!!!!! ITS ALMOST AS IF THE RAILROAD HAS TO PUT ELECTRICAL FENCES ON SIDES OF TRACKS!!!!
Old 04-20-2005, 12:00 AM   #33
cmherndon
Banned

Send a message via AIM to cmherndon Send a message via Yahoo to cmherndon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnsf sammy
Hey Im sorry about this question...but what is a sign? A couple of the posts said that he should have been issued a "sign" but he didnt? whats a sign???
A sign that says "I'm Stupid"...

Thank you Bill Engvall...
cmherndon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 01:26 AM   #34
Donna

Smile

Here's your SIGN!
Donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 04:16 AM   #35
bnsf sammy

Quote:

is that a joke? or is that what they were talking about?
Old 04-20-2005, 04:17 AM   #36
Ken Carr
Senior Member: Vegasrails

Default Being careful the investigation continues

As we continue to debate this thread, I contacted the local agency investigating this incident in Peach Springs. I didn't get much information but the three pieces I did get to add to the original start of this thread are the following: The investigation is still continucing and no news release is scheduled to be release and only the tribal leader can grant such a release. There were either members of the victim family or close friends at the scene at the time of the accident. This info was received through questions asked the local PD.

See what I do for fun along the rails and in the desert

See some of my slide shows

Ken Carr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 05:35 AM   #37
golden_spike

Send a message via AIM to golden_spike

You guys have sure posted some great pictures of peoples stupidity and carelessness. I've witnessed a few myself, but only one that comes close. A friend and i were trainwatching at this place where tons of people cross the unguarded tracks because of a bike path right next to them. This family, complete with kids, parents, and grandparents walk up to the tracks and start to cross just as a train comes around the bend probably a half of a mile away. Its going quick, but everybody makes it across easily except for the grandpa. He is crossing much more slowly than the rest, and when he finally gets across the 2nd track, which is the one with the train, and just stands on the edge of the tie until the train is like 250 feet away. Then he really slowly walks down the bank and into the ditch just as the train roars by. A great example for his grandkids. We probably havent seen much compared to you guys, but this was deffinently the most stupid and dangerous thing we've seen somebody do around a train.

On the other hand, I sure cant say i've never crossed unguarded tracks, can you? I could probably write a couple of pages of dumb and illegal things involving trains that my friends and i did back in the day, but now i think we realize just how dumb these things were, and it makes us safer and more respectful of trains and rr property. We're all probably lucky to be around.

Last edited by golden_spike; 04-20-2005 at 05:38 AM.
golden_spike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 06:00 AM   #38
Ween

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNSF Sammy

is that a joke? or is that what they were talking about?
Bill Engvall is a stand-up comedian who's catch phrase is "Here's your sign" (a sign which says 'I'm Stupid') that you give to a stupid person when they do something stupid. So it goes, when someone stupidly crosses the tracks illegally, they are worth of being issued an 'I'm Stupid' sign...
Old 04-20-2005, 02:17 PM   #39
busyEMT

Quote:
Originally Posted by golden_spike
I could probably write a couple of pages of dumb and illegal things involving trains that my friends and i did back in the day, but now i think we realize just how dumb these things were, and it makes us safer and more respectful of trains and rr property. We're all probably lucky to be around.

Growing up, being about a sixth grader, the BN's Darby (MT) Local was snaking through town. My friends and I were en route to one of their houses, when we were stopped at the crossing. Well, as I was explaining where the train was going and the days of operation (no one cared), a boy in the group picked up a piece of ballast and threw it at the train. The train was travelling in our direction and the rock hit a rib of a box car and rebounded directly into his forehead.

Don't do anything you wouldn't want to explain to the paramedics!
busyEMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 04:01 AM   #40
Joe

Thumbs down

Common sense isn't common anymore...Here's some proof of that.
Sent this photo into RP but the fence killed me.
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/sho...aspx?id=118999
No Darwin Award; but he almost got caught between two trains...

Last edited by Joe; 04-22-2005 at 01:52 PM.
Old 04-22-2005, 04:33 AM   #41
golden_spike

Send a message via AIM to golden_spike

Wow, sounds like that guy was lucky it was just a short and probably speedy commuter train. If they had been freights they would have had a little game of dradle with his body!

edit:
-- now i see from looking more closely at the pic that the train was stopped. anyway, he's still a moron. They should have another category for pictures on this site called "dumb people and trains dont mix"--

Last edited by golden_spike; 04-22-2005 at 04:39 AM.
golden_spike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 06:47 PM   #42
rpalmer
RailPictures.net Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Carr
As we continue to debate this thread, I contacted the local agency investigating this incident in Peach Springs. I didn't get much information but the three pieces I did get to add to the original start of this thread are the following: The investigation is still continucing and no news release is scheduled to be release and only the tribal leader can grant such a release. There were either members of the victim family or close friends at the scene at the time of the accident. This info was received through questions asked the local PD.
Although it's probably true that someone was struck and killed by a BNSF train at Peach Springs, the details are getting less clear by the day. Now, it's starting to look doubtful that it was even a "railfan":
http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?1,908786
Old 04-22-2005, 07:20 PM   #43
dodi4200

Send a message via Yahoo to dodi4200

yea all of railfans should be careful when they are catching trains pix specially in the central yards i were from about 2 months in acentral yard here in egypt called TANTA about 1hour from my city watever i were very happy of the amount and big numbers of trains there i were afriad of being killed by atrain in that day this central yard in the middle of the delta area in north of egypt and there you can watch atrain every 1 mintue with maximum time between 2 trains 5 mintues also i will attach now apic all of u will be amazes of dealing between trains and people ucan see the 2 men who crossing the railway when the train is very near to them and at final for me when i saw atrain from abig distance i wait till the train cross the area that im in it not cause of fear of train but to see all of it
see my pix @ www.everythingtrains.org
(http://members.cox.net/hughes450/Page30.html)
mohamed
dodi4200 is offline   Reply With Quote