Old 09-26-2011, 04:48 AM   #1
mp16dot39

Default Out of curiousity.....

Why doesnt RP like shots where the train's front door is open? If its in the yard doing work, the door would generally be open on a hot summer day. The front door isnt generally that big, i.e. an SD75i.

cheers
mp16dot39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 05:41 AM   #2
Carl Becker

It varies case by case, but on some shots, especially head-on telemashes, it can just be ugly.
Old 09-26-2011, 02:08 PM   #3
WMHeilman

It's an eyesore, and to me it can almost completely ruin a shot. It's much less of a distraction on standard cab units than on widecabs though.
WMHeilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 02:43 PM   #4
Joe the Photog

That's funny. Completely ruin a shot. I needed a good chuckle. Next, let's talk about how telephone poles are such a distraction.
Old 09-26-2011, 03:10 PM   #5
bigbassloyd

I couldn't care less about an open door.......

The FRED hanging on the front of the engine is what kills me..

Loyd L.

My personal photography site
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 03:15 PM   #6
Greg P

Send a message via AIM to Greg P

Concerns about employee safety perhaps?

I know that railroad managers have been known to view the site and we don't want to comprise the jobs of the people who work the trains.
Greg P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 03:33 PM   #7
troy12n
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg P View Post
Concerns about employee safety perhaps?

I know that railroad managers have been known to view the site and we don't want to comprise the jobs of the people who work the trains.
If the door is open and the unit is moving, chances are the Air conditioner is broke. Heat exhaustion is a safety issue too, yet they wont bad order a unit with a bad AC...

I don't buy that excuse.
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 03:57 PM   #8
Hatchetman
Part-Time Railfan

There's a great shot by Travis Dewitz with the door open here: scroll down a bit
http://www.therailroadcollection.com/latest-works/

looks a little unlevel though!
Hatchetman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 04:01 PM   #9
WMHeilman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
That's funny. Completely ruin a shot. I needed a good chuckle. Next, let's talk about how telephone poles are such a distraction.
Hard to tell sarcasm over the internet, but I'm guessing (and hoping) you were serious about telephone poles being a distraction.
Old 09-26-2011, 04:55 PM   #10
Joe the Photog

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMHeilman View Post
Hard to tell sarcasm over the internet, but I'm guessing (and hoping) you were serious about telephone poles being a distraction.
That's even funnier. Telephone poles in and of themselves are not distrations at all. If the photographer doesn't shoot the scene right, that's on the photographer, not the poles. We shoot moving trains in real life scenes. I think it's crazy to go overboard on things that you can't control -- open doors, telephone poles, which way an engine is facing. This hobby is supposed to be fun. Worrying about this stuff too much takes that fun out of it.
Old 09-26-2011, 04:59 PM   #11
Hatchetman
Part-Time Railfan

ugliness is not allowed on RP. reminds me of a photo by david plowden

Hatchetman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 05:00 PM   #12
Carl Becker

Quote:
...which way an engine is facing. This hobby is supposed to be fun. Worrying about this stuff too much takes that fun out of it.
I used to shoot DPUs no matter which way they were facing, but now I rarely shoot them when they're forward (against the train).

Image © Carl Becker
PhotoID: 375853
Photograph © Carl Becker

When this one came in, the unit was forward. Since all of the units were facing the same way and they were going up the branch, they had to turn one of them around. So I waited and got it backward instead. I do think we can agree that the cab end of a unit is better looking than the long hood.

~Carl Becker
Old 09-26-2011, 05:05 PM   #13
Joe the Photog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Becker View Post
I do think we can agree that the cab end of a unit is better looking than the long hood.
We can agree that you think that. I love shooting LHF on trains. It doesn't matter to me. I may have my preferences on some things, but I try not to get bent out of shape by things out of my control.
Old 09-26-2011, 05:09 PM   #14
Carl Becker

This does bring up an interesting point, however. When shooting switchers, which way is "forward" for you? I almost prefer switchers to have the cab toward the train:

Image © Carl Becker
PhotoID: 307878
Photograph © Carl Becker

~Carl Becker
Old 09-26-2011, 05:16 PM   #15
trainboysd40

Send a message via MSN to trainboysd40

Image © Matthew Hicks
PhotoID: 237966
Photograph © Matthew Hicks

I always found the front of a locomotive to be more striking, but if it's a good enough photo it should be fine on its own.
..And look at that, a genuine Joe Blue comment!
As for doors, again, it's not that big a deal, but it is more aesthetically pleasing to most people to see a solid face.
Obligatory link to shots on RP, HERE
trainboysd40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 06:06 PM   #16
mp16dot39

This was the shot. This is a rough edit. The link for the reject is gone as its been about a month since I submitted it. The front door doesnt create that much of a distraction I dont think. Thats just my opinion though. Not sure why it's such a big deal that its open. It is yard work after all. It's going back and forth, with crews getting on and off, it's kinda expected that the door would be open.
Old 09-26-2011, 08:52 PM   #17
WMHeilman

Quote:
That's even funnier. Telephone poles in and of themselves are not distrations at all. If the photographer doesn't shoot the scene right, that's on the photographer, not the poles. We shoot moving trains in real life scenes. I think it's crazy to go overboard on things that you can't control -- open doors, telephone poles, which way an engine is facing. This hobby is supposed to be fun. Worrying about this stuff too much takes that fun out of it.
Telephone poles are complete distractions. That being said, let me now agree with you that you can't control them. What you can control is where you shoot the train. Sometimes, other factors of a shot (towers, older signals, etc.) can completely make you forget that there's some telephone poles in the background. The rest of the time I try to avoid a scene cluttered with poles.

Open nose doors are distracting, but are at the same time part of "reality in the railroad world." It's going to happen, and it doesn't bother me as much as other things, but it's still not aesthetically pleasing. Like I said, much less distracting on standard cabs.
Old 09-27-2011, 12:20 AM   #18
PLEzero

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp16dot39 View Post

This was the shot. This is a rough edit. The link for the reject is gone as its been about a month since I submitted it. The front door doesnt create that much of a distraction I dont think. Thats just my opinion though. Not sure why it's such a big deal that its open. It is yard work after all. It's going back and forth, with crews getting on and off, it's kinda expected that the door would be open.
So you got a rejection because the door was open or you think it was rejected because the door was open?

I personally prefer the door to be closed but that doesn't mean a shot is completely ruined. I think with a little less saturation and a CCW rotation this photo will be accepted to the DB.
My RP.net Photos
PLEzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 12:28 AM   #19
sd9

Quote:

Are you sure it was because of the door? I don't think RP even has an "open door, reason for rejection". What was the original reason? From the picture you posted, it looks a little over saturated and the color is off.

They seemed to like these,
Image © Bill Grenchik
PhotoID: 248280
Photograph © Bill Grenchik

Image © Bill Grenchik
PhotoID: 251440

Image © Bill Grenchik
PhotoID: 321457

Image © Bill Grenchik
PhotoID: 242847
sd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 01:35 AM   #20
JimThias

Quote:
This does bring up an interesting point, however. When shooting switchers, which way is "forward" for you? I almost prefer switchers to have the cab toward the train:

Image © Carl Becker
PhotoID: 307878
Photograph © Carl Becker

~Carl Becker
There is only ONE way that I consider forward when looking at a switcher like that. However, a train crew might hold a difference of opinion. But I'm all about looks when taking pictures, not functionality.

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 03:52 AM   #21
mp16dot39

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLEzero View Post
So you got a rejection because the door was open or you think it was rejected because the door was open?

I personally prefer the door to be closed but that doesn't mean a shot is completely ruined. I think with a little less saturation and a CCW rotation this photo will be accepted to the DB.
When I appealed the screener said "Its not because you were tresspassing, but because the front door was open. There is nothing you can do about that. sorry"
Old 09-27-2011, 03:52 AM   #22
mp16dot39

As well, as I said before, I quickly edited this shot today to post on here. The color is overboard, yes, because it was simply to post here to show the open door
Old 09-27-2011, 04:34 AM   #23
WMHeilman

Quote:
When I appealed the screener said "Its not because you were tresspassing, but because the front door was open. There is nothing you can do about that. sorry"
I'm not sure if I believe that. I don't think any of the screeners on here would actually reject a photo solely because the nose door was open. That's just asinine.
Old 09-27-2011, 05:57 AM   #24
Joe the Photog

Quote:
This does bring up an interesting point, however. When shooting switchers, which way is "forward" for you?
I'll shoot them any way they run them. Back when the Lancaster and Chester ran nothing but end cabs, they mostly ran them hood forward

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©

so it was a nice treat to see them cab first

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©

We won't even talk about this shot other than to say I think it makes Jesus cry to see perfectly good end cabs relegated to being in the middle of a GP sandwich.

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©
Old 09-27-2011, 06:13 AM   #25
Freericks
Met Fan

Open doors on standard cabs aren't bothersome the way open doors on wide noses and cover wagons are.

It is how railroads work, of course, and it looks like a black hole in an image.

While you got conflicting advice from a lot of folk that I respect, I believe in this case they are wrong, and this image can't get in.
Freericks is offline   Reply With Quote