Old 03-13-2008, 09:35 PM   #1
KcsRailfan
Banned

Default Photo rejected

Group,

here is a photo that was rejected from the database today. Perhaps if I can get someone to do some playing with it, or request to have the full sized pic, if needed e-mailed to them, I would like to see if this photo might have it's chances at returning back to the site and making it.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...&key=326452946

Thanks!

Michael Richmond
KcsRailfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 09:38 PM   #2
Joe the Photog

Michael;

My monitor is not that great, but this shot looks blurry on the train facing us. It looks oiut of focus, not just undersharpened. But I'll let others chime in who can "see" it better than I can on this computer screen.

Joe
Old 03-13-2008, 09:53 PM   #3
Railfan Ohio

I agree with Joe, the engine is blurry. Also if you can fix that you might consider cropping some of the left out.

B&O: the First, the Best
Pennsy: the Standard, but still #2

My pix:http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=11344
Railfan Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 09:53 PM   #4
ken45
LA&SL Fanatic

I agree with Joe, the approaching train is slightly out of focus. Happens to me all the time when I get two trains in a picture, and just start firing away without really thinking. Generally, if you focus for the far stuff using f8 or so, the focus on the nearer stuff will take care of itself.

Is the shot fixable? Possibly. I'd start over at the beginning and reprocess, then go heavy on the sharpening after resizing it to smaller than what you currently have it and see what happens. It also looks slightly unlevel, you might want to take a look at that too.
Old 03-13-2008, 10:21 PM   #5
Ween

Agree with everyone so far. I didn't really see the JPEG compression, but it does look blurry, unlevel (leaning to the right), and there's a lot of dead space on the left side that can be cut out.

What hasn't been mentioned is the dead space in the middle. If it were me (and I don't have that much experience with meet shots) I would have let the trains get closer together to cut down on the dead space in the center of the image.
Old 03-14-2008, 12:33 AM   #6
KcsRailfan
Banned

Default Photo rejected

Guys,

heres a better shot of it:
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...4&key=15155218

If someone can help me with the 'horizon unlevel' situation, I'll be glad to send it back.

Michael
Old 03-14-2008, 12:50 AM   #7
bigbassloyd

it needs rotated counter clockwise about 2 degrees. The shot is currently leaning..

Loyd L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KcsRailfan
Guys,

heres a better shot of it:
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...4&key=15155218

If someone can help me with the 'horizon unlevel' situation, I'll be glad to send it back.

Michael

My personal photography site
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 02:32 AM   #8
mikekmac

Quote:
Group,

here is a photo that was rejected from the database today. Perhaps if I can get someone to do some playing with it, or request to have the full sized pic, if needed e-mailed to them, I would like to see if this photo might have it's chances at returning back to the site and making it.
Michael, what photo-editing tools do you have available to you?

-Mike
mikekmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 03:13 AM   #9
Carl Becker

Alrighty... I see that a Rebel XTi is being used here... so that's definitely good enough. So, as previously asked, what photo editor is being used? That will be key in continuing to effectively process your images.

Regardless, here's my take on the second reject...rotation, crop, and sharpen (might appear a bit oversharp...couldn't find a great balance)...so try using this as an example.

~Carl Becker
-------------
PS - Your rejected images show the "You selected Other City. Enter it here!" text in the city name slot. Be sure to delete that text rather than just add the city name behind it, or it will show up on the final copy of the image.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9885b_jpg_20711.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	339.0 KB
ID:	2623  
Carl Becker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 04:15 AM   #10
KcsRailfan
Banned

Default Photo rejected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Becker
Alrighty... I see that a Rebel XTi is being used here... so that's definitely good enough. So, as previously asked, what photo editor is being used? That will be key in continuing to effectively process your images.

Regardless, here's my take on the second reject...rotation, crop, and sharpen (might appear a bit oversharp...couldn't find a great balance)...so try using this as an example.

~Carl Becker
-------------
PS - Your rejected images show the "You selected Other City. Enter it here!" text in the city name slot. Be sure to delete that text rather than just add the city name behind it, or it will show up on the final copy of the image.
here we are again...thanks for your edited copy, this I tried and here are the results!
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...key=1174648009
Old 03-14-2008, 04:18 AM   #11
KcsRailfan
Banned

Default Photo rejected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Becker
So, as previously asked, what photo editor is being used? That will be key in continuing to effectively process your images.

~Carl Becker
-------------
Carl,

The photo editing software I'd be using if I knew how to edit my pics would be "Digital Photo Professional."

Michael
Old 03-14-2008, 04:51 AM   #12
Ween

Quote:
The photo editing software I'd be using if I knew how to edit my pics would be "Digital Photo Professional."
Not a good program as a do-it-all (no leveling, no cropping, no sharpening, etc.). Check out IRFanview, a free editor:
http://www.irfanview.com/

Or Picasa, another free program:
http://picasa.google.com/

Part of the hobby is learning how to edit your photos, so get to it!
Old 03-14-2008, 05:13 AM   #13
KcsRailfan
Banned

Default Photo rejected

Alright, thanks Ween for the photo programs to choose from, thus should make my photo editing a bit easier for me to do.

I have attached a file of the previous photo that Carl looked at and tried playing with to help me some. This is my edit though from Picasa.

Would this happen to be the kind of this pic that RP is looking for?

Michael
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9885b.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	125.2 KB
ID:	2624  
Old 03-14-2008, 05:27 AM   #14
Ween

Start from the original image...don't try and edit someone else's edit. The image quality goes down...
Old 03-14-2008, 01:15 PM   #15
Carl Becker

Michael,

Just to let you know, I use IrFanView for all my photo editing and it works good. I haven't had any big issues with it at all, and best of all, it's free, and you can download it in minutes.

After you download your photo software, I would take the image into the software, rotate it -2, and give it a touch of sharpening. You may also want to crop in some (like the attachment I sent), but use 1024X768 resolution if you can (I had to use 800X600 since I don't have your original copy)...

~Carl Becker
Carl Becker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 01:40 PM   #16
KcsRailfan
Banned

Default Photo rejected

Guys,

I pretty much gave up and deleted the full sized pic off the camera and the computer, so therefore, I will not be able to make any changes to make it try and get back to the site.

I think what I am gonna start doing is sending a resized copy into the forums for each pic that I think would fit the site, therefore this leaves me to know what you guys think would be needed fixed and keeps me away from giving up and deleting the original (full sized) copy upon the first rejection.

I have done a lot of this back when I used to think that my photos were not good enough for the site and therefore so many rejections got in that I felt like I could never get another photo the site.

Now with the fact that I am doing everything possible to get some help on the line, getting the chances of having my high quality (non backlit) shots and such will make it to the site.

Michael
Old 03-14-2008, 02:14 PM   #17
EMTRailfan

Location: I can be found railfanning the abandoned B&O Northern Sub.

Why would you delete your originals???
Old 03-14-2008, 02:21 PM   #18
KcsRailfan
Banned

Default Photo rejected

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMTRailfan
Why would you delete your originals???
Well actually, I don't necessarily delete them, I will resize them and take them to RRPictureArchives.net though.

Michael
Old 03-14-2008, 04:04 PM   #19
JRMDC

Quote:
I think what I am gonna start doing is sending a resized copy into the forums for each pic that I think would fit the site, therefore this leaves me to know what you guys think would be needed fixed and keeps me away from giving up and deleting the original (full sized) copy upon the first rejection.
Michael, excuse me for being grumpy/negative, but this forum is to offer help when needed, not, in my view, to evaluate "each pic" in advance of submission. You need to stand on your own two feet! And you need to be willing to give up a bit of hard disk space and keep your originals for a while.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 08:42 PM   #20
denvillerailfan

Default Delete??!?!?!!

Quote:
Guys,

I pretty much gave up and deleted the full sized pic off the camera and the computer, so therefore, I will not be able to make any changes to make it try and get back to the site.

I have done a lot of this back when I used to think that my photos were not good enough for the site and therefore so many rejections got in that I felt like I could never get another photo the site.

Now with the fact that I am doing everything possible to get some help on the line, getting the chances of having my high quality (non backlit) shots and such will make it to the site.

Michael
Michael... do not delete...
These are memories that can rarely be replaced.

I have about 40Gb+ of (mostly) complete crap and only 3 photos on this site to show for it!!! (plus a full copy of all on an external disk too)

And that is not counting my working directories of TIFFs since I started playing with RAW too...
Hard drives are cheap, invest.

The other small investment I recommend, is a file recovery program... Accidents happen. period.
There have been threads here discussing them in the past. Read up.

There is no reason to delete anything that resembles a snapshot... unless you shot your foot

Besides, there are plenty of other sites that you can share those on.
Just because it's not up to RP.NET doesn't mean it should go in the circular file.

These guys (and gals) are a great help and source for info, but nobody is going to do it for you. You might get some examples, like above, to prove that it can be done, but ultimately YOU need to do it yourself.

Take some time to download the software mentions and play with it and some photos you may have... especially the sharpening and resizing (a couple of GREAT threads in here for tutorials) - great stuff, But it takes practice.
then, next time you have one you feel iss worthy, fix it up to the best of your ability and post the REJECT.... then people here can help.

Ok, I'm tired of trying to type... Back to looking at my snapshots.

(just remember - patients. Take your time, read, and most important, LISTEN. )

Later,
Jeff
denvillerailfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 04:03 PM   #21
a231pacific

Best Buy has Western Digital My Book 500 Gig external hard drives for $119.99. Buy one and save all your photos on it, even the bad ones. Someday you may wish you had a shot of that particular loco, place, etc. Storage is cheap, so don't delete! At least not until you've downloaded.

Michael Allen
a231pacific is offline   Reply With Quote