Old 11-01-2013, 01:46 AM   #26
bigbassloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase55671 View Post
I would like to formally hire you as my official PR speaker.

I'll give you a salary increase of 50% from your current salary. It's a good deal, and I'd love to talk details.

PM me please.

Chase
I want stock options as well.

Humbly signed,

Loyd L.

My personal photography site
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 01:48 AM   #27
Mgoldman

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbassloyd View Post
11mm on a crop body and a series of 9 vertical images of 45 seconds each
Was it difficult to line all nine up, considering the stars moved in each frame?

What camera are you using these days? And, while I'm asking, what ISO for that shot?

/Mitch
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 03:34 AM   #28
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgoldman View Post
As for your FB link only providing about a 100 links relative to 3000 or so to date, you only need enough whored views to bump you onto the front page. Seems a good percentage of the RP audience will only click a photo on the front page.
True enough.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 04:25 AM   #29
Holloran Grade
Banned

Lightbulb

Quote:
.... you only need enough whored views to bump you onto the front page. /Mitch
What????

Was someone talking about me?
Holloran Grade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 12:24 PM   #30
bigbassloyd

Quote:
Was it difficult to line all nine up, considering the stars moved in each frame?

What camera are you using these days? And, while I'm asking, what ISO for that shot?

/Mitch
At such a wide angle, it's no problem as long as you're quick in moving the camera and capturing. It took me about 8 minutes total from beginning to end. I use my old Canon XS for my night work, as the noise at higher iso is more controlled than my 40d (not to mention the lack of an easy to see timer on the 40d makes it stink for night shots). I use iso 1600 for the milky way stuff, along with a Tokina 11-16 f2.8 lens (the best aps-c wide angle made IMO).

Next season, I'll be using a 6d, and a tokina 16-28 f2.8 for my star work.

Loyd L.

Last edited by bigbassloyd; 11-01-2013 at 12:28 PM.
Old 11-01-2013, 03:57 PM   #31
Holloran Grade
Banned

Question

Quote:
......not to mention the lack of an easy to see timer on the 40d makes it stink for night shots.
Ya, what is up with that?

The timer on Canon's low end cameras is far superior to those on the alleged "professional models."
Old 11-01-2013, 04:02 PM   #32
troy12n
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holloran Grade View Post
Ya, what is up with that?

The timer on Canon's low end cameras is far superior to those on the alleged "professional models."
I dont know where the timer on the XS is, but every other Canon camera I have used, it is on the LCD on top, I dont find it hard to use, although at night, it's not lit, so you have to light it with something, a cell phone usually does the trick, if done right, it would not interfere with the exposure.
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 04:07 PM   #33
Holloran Grade
Banned

Lightbulb

On the Rebel XTi the timer is an LED number on an otherwise blacked out screen.

When I got a 5D I was a little miffed that it did not have this feature as I find looking at the small LED readout on top rather cumbersome and awkward.

Additionally, the fact that you need a secondary flashlight or phone to read a backlit LED screen is LAME.

For that kind of coin, you would think the big brains at Canon could get that small little thing right.
Old 11-01-2013, 04:46 PM   #34
bigbassloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy12n View Post
I dont know where the timer on the XS is, but every other Canon camera I have used, it is on the LCD on top, I dont find it hard to use, although at night, it's not lit, so you have to light it with something, a cell phone usually does the trick, if done right, it would not interfere with the exposure.
Cheap Canons have a timer display on the LCD, which is awesome. When you take 90% of your photographs in darkness, the ability to see the time without having to touch the camera to turn on the LCD light, or attempt to turn a light on and keep it out of the frame is a big plus.

Maybe one day Canon will get it, and offer the lcd timer on the back screen for their big boy toys.

Loyd L.

Old 11-01-2013, 05:09 PM   #35
Holloran Grade
Banned

Exclamation

Code Lines in the Moonlight by El Roco Photography, on Flickr

5 minute exposure.

I don't know how many times I had to pull out the flash light and look at the LED screen.
Old 11-01-2013, 07:30 PM   #36
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holloran Grade View Post
5 minute exposure.
You could have accomplished the same thing by taking a shot during the day. Were you disappointed with the result after you spent the time to set up and create the shot?
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 09:55 PM   #37
troy12n
Banned

Quote:
Cheap Canons have a timer display on the LCD, which is awesome. When you take 90% of your photographs in darkness, the ability to see the time without having to touch the camera to turn on the LCD light, or attempt to turn a light on and keep it out of the frame is a big plus.

Maybe one day Canon will get it, and offer the lcd timer on the back screen for their big boy toys.

Loyd L.
Hmm, interesting. At any rate, I have not found the placement of the LCD a limitation, although it would be pretty cool if it was backlit. I have a shutter release cable with manual hold and it's good enough. I think some of the more expensive (Canon) ones have the ability to set arbitrary shutter time, and might even have a display on them. My el cheapo one does not. My cell phone held up to the LCD has been good enough for my uses.

Here's another question, it appears you made that exposure right at sunrise, or close to it. I have seen other shots like that, where the sky transitions from night to day, but you can still see the stars. I guess it's just luck or is there some sort of technique to it, especially if you are making long exposures. 45 seconds is not that long, I guess that's why there is no star trails. I figured at first you were using some sort of star tracker motion tripod head or something for that, but I guess not.
Old 11-02-2013, 02:22 AM   #38
Mgoldman

Loyd -

I was referring to the fact that in each unique exposure, the stars would've moved a little bit. Each image lined up side by side I would assume would show some sucessive drift in the stars. In other words, each image would need to be moved to line up with the last needing the most to realign. Or - are there so many stars it's simply not noticeable?

El - Not referring to you. We all know certain posters that will have an image destined for the front page regardless of it's merit. You see the name and you know not even a wreck shot with models will beat it to the front page.

As for missing features on pricier cameras - seems that's the way it'll always be. Go to Ruth Chris for a $60 steak and the potato is extra. Go to Denny's - you get the potato and salad and soup no extra charge. Buy a super sports car, you get no air conditioner. Buy an expensive amplifier, no remote. Better camera, no flash.

However - you might really like this (I do):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Intervalomet...item33850bf51a

I figured - what the heck, it'll be a back up. I believe the one linked is the one I purchased. Might have gotten it for under $10.00. It's an ON/OFF button with a TIMER. How hard is that to make???? I'll bet the one for .99 works - the one with free shipping from China.

/Mitch
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 02:24 AM   #39
troy12n
Banned

Quote:
El - Not referring to you. We all know certain posters that will have an image destined for the front page regardless of it's merit. You see the name and you know not even a wreck shot with models will beat it to the front page.
I just commented something to that effect on an OBSCAR thread where a few people were gushing over what is, at the end of the day, a properly exposed wedgie...
Old 11-02-2013, 02:46 AM   #40
MagnumForce

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias View Post
You could have accomplished the same thing by taking a shot during the day. Were you disappointed with the result after you spent the time to set up and create the shot?
Quoted for truth
Old 11-02-2013, 04:09 AM   #41
bigbassloyd

Quote:
Loyd -

I was referring to the fact that in each unique exposure, the stars would've moved a little bit. Each image lined up side by side I would assume would show some sucessive drift in the stars. In other words, each image would need to be moved to line up with the last needing the most to realign. Or - are there so many stars it's simply not noticeable?

/Mitch
Like I said before, don't drag your feet during the exposures and there's no issues with star movement, especially when using an ultra wide lens. We're talking an immense area of sky in this shot.

Loyd L.

Old 11-02-2013, 12:35 PM   #42
JimThias

Quote:
I just commented something to that effect on an OBSCAR thread where a few people were gushing over what is, at the end of the day, a properly exposed wedgie...
Which photo are you referring to?
Old 11-02-2013, 03:38 PM   #43
troy12n
Banned

Quote:
Which photo are you referring to?
The UP wegie from indecline yesterday
Old 11-02-2013, 03:42 PM   #44
JimThias

Quote:
The UP wegie from indecline yesterday
Just checked his photos and his last UP shot was added October 27. Did something happen to the photo you're referencing?
Old 11-02-2013, 04:32 PM   #45
troy12n
Banned

Quote:
Just checked his photos and his last UP shot was added October 27. Did something happen to the photo you're referencing?
It was this exact shot

Image © Indecline
PhotoID: 456002
Photograph © Indecline
Old 11-03-2013, 04:37 PM   #46
Indecline

Quote:
It was this exact shot

Image © Indecline
PhotoID: 456002
Photograph © Indecline
I've yet to figure out what exactly you are trying to say on Obscar. I understand you don't like the photo, but I don't understand what you are trying to say about the photographer (me)?

Consider me a moron in translating what your point is!

DS
Indecline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 07:47 PM   #47
Cyclonetrain

Send a message via AIM to Cyclonetrain Send a message via Yahoo to Cyclonetrain

Hey cool someone saw my photo!

Anyway, I enjoy reading the comparison here. Me and Jeremey are good friends and went on the chase together, so obviously we knew ahead of time that we'd be getting pretty similar shots.

I think that Jeremey's shot has a stronger impact because he was a few feet to my right when taking the photo, which allowed the plume of smoke to fill the scene more, and also you can see down the tracks more which visually draws you in. I'll concede here and say he got the better shot.

Whenever I'm editing my payed work, I use a calibrated LED screen, but sometimes when I'm playing with my train photos I get lazy and sit on the couch with my 2009 Macbook Pro, which still has a pretty good screen but the brightness never seems to come out right in my photos on there. Looking it on my desktop computer now I've come to the conclusion that my shot is too bright and jeremeys is a just a bit too dark.

Thanks for the input, I always enjoy constructive criticism.

(btw, I'd consider this shot a score at least )
Image © Glenn Davis
PhotoID: 456556
Photograph © Glenn Davis

Last edited by Cyclonetrain; 11-03-2013 at 07:52 PM.
Cyclonetrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 07:54 PM   #48
troy12n
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indecline View Post
I've yet to figure out what exactly you are trying to say on Obscar. I understand you don't like the photo, but I don't understand what you are trying to say about the photographer (me)?

Consider me a moron in translating what your point is!

DS
I dont dislike the photo, I was commenting that a bunch of people on OBSCar were fawning over it, and I didnt see it. it's not a bad photo, but it's not something that I would cream my jeans about.
Old 11-03-2013, 11:31 PM   #49
Freericks
Met Fan

Curious if you saw my response as "fawning." Your response will let me know your reading comprehension skills.

And yes, it's a nice shot.
Freericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 12:58 AM   #50
troy12n
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freericks View Post
Curious if you saw my response as "fawning." Your response will let me know your reading comprehension skills.

And yes, it's a nice shot.
I dont think I responded to you, it was people like Garland and some of the other morons on Obscar.