Old 06-13-2013, 10:24 PM   #1
lefflerlad
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Dublin, OH
Posts: 56
Default Worth an appeal?

Due to the removal of signals, and the oddity of a C&O mast on the ACL's A-Line, can this shot jump the foreground clutter and garner a spot on RP? I haven't found any other shots of it on here.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...03&key=8484340
lefflerlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 01:18 AM   #2
Trainman24210
Junior Member
 
Trainman24210's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 15
Default

Is it a verified C&O signal or an anomaly? In Buchanan County, VA N&W had a few color light signals on a branch line. Why I don't know. In any case it's not super and C&O signals are no CPLs. You could be forbidden to appeal, with no notice and no published policy.
Trainman24210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 01:25 AM   #3
JimThias
Senior Member
 
JimThias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 9,795
Default

Too bad you didn't have time to run up there and rip those weeds out before the train came. Oh well. "Real time cloning" is what I call it.
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 01:42 AM   #4
Mgoldman
Senior Member
 
Mgoldman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 3,632
Default

This is a ridiculous question - face it, you simply uploaded at the wrong time and got the wrong screener. End story.

Image © Kevin Andrusia
PhotoID: 439760
Photograph © Kevin Andrusia


I suppose you could appeal.

/Mitch
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 02:45 AM   #5
Ron Flanary
Senior Member
 
Ron Flanary's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Big Stone Gap, VA
Posts: 1,327
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainman24210 View Post
Is it a verified C&O signal or an anomaly? In Buchanan County, VA N&W had a few color light signals on a branch line. Why I don't know. In any case it's not super and C&O signals are no CPLs. You could be forbidden to appeal, with no notice and no published policy.
What? I'm not sure what you're trying to say here. The N&W signals in Buchanan County, VA are part of a CTC installation from eons ago. They were initially PLs, and then CPLs, same as everywhere else on the N&W system.

Those old tri-light signals aren't necessarily "C&O." SAL (Seaboard Air Line) and Clinchfield also used tri-lights for years. I think ACL preferred single element searchlights, same as corporate sibling L&N.
Ron Flanary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 04:11 AM   #6
troy12n
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 5,333
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Flanary View Post
Those old tri-light signals aren't necessarily "C&O." SAL (Seaboard Air Line) and Clinchfield also used tri-lights for years. I think ACL preferred single element searchlights, same as corporate sibling L&N.
The so called "C&O" signals are just US&S tri-lights, the same kind used in mass installations by SAL, UP, SCL, Clinchfield, UP, MP and a bunch of other railroads. Their Cantilevers were almost unique, but similar ones were used by Southern.

ACL, and their "subsidiaries" (dare I say it) L&N, Georgia RR used almost exclusively searchlights up till they started converting from Double Track to CTC in the mid 60's, at that point, some of these tri-lights began showing up, and after the merger that created SCL, almost without exception, signal replacements were tri-lights, not searchlights.
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 04:17 AM   #7
JimThias
Senior Member
 
JimThias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 9,795
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgoldman View Post
This is a ridiculous question - face it, you simply uploaded at the wrong time and got the wrong screener. End story.

Image © Kevin Andrusia
PhotoID: 439760
Photograph © Kevin Andrusia


I suppose you could appeal.

\Mitch
Saw that photo, thought about it, then decided not to because I figured someone else would.

Yup.

And just for the record, there is nothing wrong with Kevin's shot, nor is there with the OP's. While I would have taken the time to do some trimming, I don't think the weeds ruin either shots.

Last edited by JimThias; 06-14-2013 at 04:19 AM. Reason: typo
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 05:40 AM   #8
Indecline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 168
Default

The clone tool in PS5 or 6 can take care of the problem. It's not the signal they are having an issue with. It's the vegetation. It's just one of those RP.net things that is unique to this site and nowhere else in Rail photography.
Indecline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 06:05 AM   #9
Freericks
Met Fan
 
Freericks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 4,038
Default

Bring us some shrubbery.
Freericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 12:45 PM   #10
JimThias
Senior Member
 
JimThias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 9,795
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freericks View Post
Bring us some shrubbery.



Did you say shrubbery?
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 03:04 PM   #11
Holloran Grade
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: In the California Republic
Posts: 2,774
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freericks View Post
Bring us some shrubbery.
But where do we get such worthy shrubbery?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Indecline View Post
......... It's just one of those RP.net things that is unique to this site and nowhere else in Rail photography.
But as Obi Wan said - no, there is another...

Last edited by Holloran Grade; 06-14-2013 at 03:06 PM.
Holloran Grade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 03:25 PM   #12
Ron Flanary
Senior Member
 
Ron Flanary's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Big Stone Gap, VA
Posts: 1,327
Default

"Out, damned weed!"
Ron Flanary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 04:23 PM   #13
Trainman24210
Junior Member
 
Trainman24210's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 15
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Flanary View Post
What? I'm not sure what you're trying to say here. The N&W signals in Buchanan County, VA are part of a CTC installation from eons ago. They were initially PLs, and then CPLs, same as everywhere else on the N&W system.

Those old tri-light signals aren't necessarily "C&O." SAL (Seaboard Air Line) and Clinchfield also used tri-lights for years. I think ACL preferred single element searchlights, same as corporate sibling L&N.
You misunderstand. There is a junction in Buchanan Co. That has tricolor lights, not PLs converted to CPLs but three vertical lights, for some reason. I should get a picture.
Trainman24210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 06:53 PM   #14
troy12n
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 5,333
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainman24210 View Post
You misunderstand. There is a junction in Buchanan Co. That has tricolor lights, not PLs converted to CPLs but three vertical lights, for some reason. I should get a picture.
I doubt it was originally equipped as such, as Ron mentioned, the entire signaled portion of the Buchanan branch was all PL/CPL's when signaled. Signals were replaced as needed with tri-light signals starting in the late 80's. An odd example would be the intermediate signal on the Pokey main at Flat top. It is a cantilever signal where the EB aspect is a CPL and the WB aspect is a tri-light which looks like something off the Southern. The one you are referring to was likely replaced due to a derailment or something, happened all the time. But NS really started replacing them in earnest in the late 90's through today.
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:47 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.