Old 07-17-2005, 04:36 AM   #1
jweber33

Default Inconsistency in reasons for rejection

I am here tonight to ask about the policy on reasons for rejection. Countless times I've had a photo "optimistically" rejected (meaning that all it needs is a little cropping or rotation). I happily crop or rotate the said photo and resubmit it, only to have it rejected for a totally different reason that did not appear the first time I submitted the particular photo. Here are two examples:

First example: a picture of a Sounder consist that is a Metrolink train.
First time: Rejected for bad cropping
Fix: I crop out what might have been the problem
Resubmission result: Rejected for undersharpness (softness)

Second example: a picture of a Surfliner train at Burbank

First time: Rejected for not being properly rotated
Fix: I rotate the photo to look better
Resubmission result: Rejected for being underexposed

I have two issues with this: The first is that why couldn't I have been notified of the second result (the unfixable one) the first time, so I wouldn't have to bother fixing the photo? The second reason is that I am given a false sense of hope, fixing a photo and expecting it to make it the second time around, only to see it rejected for a totally separate reason.

I have attached a photo of the first example before I submitted it and cropped it. I then cropped out the 1/2 of a light pole along the left end of the photo. The photo was not 800 by 600, it was something like 850 by 638. Thank you for your time, input, and answers.

Last edited by jweber33; 07-17-2005 at 04:37 AM. Reason: fixed up spacing
jweber33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2005, 05:25 AM   #2
SD70MAC
HOBO

I remember there was a massive thread on this issue a few months ago. I remember it was because they screening software only allowed one rejection reason at a time.

I believe they now can have more than one rejection reason at a time?? I forget...
SD70MAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2005, 05:37 AM   #3
jweber33

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD70MAC
I remember there was a massive thread on this issue a few months ago. I remember it was because they screening software only allowed one rejection reason at a time.

I believe they now can have more than one rejection reason at a time?? I forget...
Yes they do, however that is not the point that I am talking about. I am asking why a photo gets rejected for one reason, and after I fix it, it gets rejected for a reason that was not mentioned the original time.
jweber33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2005, 05:52 AM   #4
Chris Starnes
Administrator

Humans are humans....some people will see something wrong with a shot that someone else didn't. While we have basic guidelines there is still room for each screener to interpret the photo and guidelines. Its not a perfect process, I admit, but neither are most things in life. Just keep an open mind and be willing to take suggestions on your photos and I think you will find it a much easier screening process.